User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Of course, but I would never approach a child and ask them if being displaced from their home, their possessions, and the life that they knew is FUN. Regardless of his intent, it was stupid and is yet another in a long list of things that demonstrate how detached these rich politicians are from the reality that the rest of the country lives in.
Mountain out of a mole hill - but blind partisanship loves that

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course, but I would never approach a child and ask them if being displaced from their home, their possessions, and the life that they knew is FUN. Regardless of his intent, it was stupid and is yet another in a long list of things that demonstrate how detached these rich politicians are from the reality that the rest of the country lives in.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. The wealthy politicians are so far removed from real life as to render them clueless.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Yes, that's what I was thinking. The wealthy politicians are so far removed from real life as to render them clueless.
So, if someone poor had tried to cajole them in the same manner it would be okay? I mean do you really think their parents and the people working in the shelters have not tried this technique? Is is only bad when DeLay does it?

Again, I despise DeLay.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
of course they are not, but haven't you ever tried to make a bleak situation light with a child by this technique. If you have not, then you are in the vast minority there Again, I depsise DeLay, but I think he did not do anything horrendus here as opposed to elsewhere.
sorry i did not post to make comparisions of behavior... of course that is a technique used with children to make light of situations...but generally the technique isnt used when they are knee deep in chit..."that really isnt chit its mud...woopee!"
Old 09-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
sorry i did not post to make comparisions of behavior... of course that is a technique used with children to make light of situations...but generally the technique isnt used when they are knee deep in chit..."that really isnt chit its mud...woopee!"
They are no knee deep in shiitte in any current shelter that I know of and certainly no in the one DeLay was in, which I think was Houston. In fact, the conditions have been reported on very favorably once they left NOLA - and I do not think DeLay was talking about the situation in NOLA

Old 09-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mountain out of a mole hill - but blind partisanship loves that

Old 09-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, if someone poor had tried to cajole them in the same manner it would be okay? I mean do you really think their parents and the people working in the shelters have not tried this technique? Is is only bad when DeLay does it?

Again, I despise DeLay.
No it wouldn't be okay and you know I am not arguing that point, it is a different point altogether. The statement is insensitive regardless of who it comes from. Plus, a poor person wouldn't say that because they would have more empathy and more of a clue what the person might be going through.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and you are being rationale here

Again, if someone poor had tried to cajole them in the same manner it would be okay? I mean do you really think their parents and the people working in the shelters have not tried this technique? Is is only bad when DeLay does it?

Better yet, let's just tell all the youngins that their parents have lost everthing and they have no clue what their fate will be. You would have liked that approach better - come on

Old 09-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They are no knee deep in shiitte in any current shelter that I know of and certainly no in the one DeLay was in, which I think was Houston. In fact, the conditions have been reported on very favorably once they left NOLA - and I do not think DeLay was talking about the situation in NOLA
omg an example of the technique my friend...calm down...
step away from the computer...
Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
No it wouldn't be okay and you know I am not arguing that point, it is a different point altogether. The statement is insensitive regardless of who it comes from. Plus, a poor person wouldn't say that because they would have more empathy and more of a clue what the person might be going through.

I guess I just do not see how an adult trying to make kids forget for a second is bad. Interestingly, your statement "a poor person wouldn't say that because they would have more empathy and more of a clue what the person might be going through" is awfully presumptous. You mean to tell me you know for a fact that not one poor person has tried to cheer their kid up by using this technique. I cannot believe you all are getting so upset by this when there are far larger things to be upset by. Truth be known it came out of DeLay's mouth and you all want to attack it no matter how patently innocuous it was and no matter how universal his technique is

Old 09-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
omg an example of the technique my friend...calm down...
step away from the computer...
come again?

Old 09-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I guess I just do not see how an adult trying to make kids forget for a second is bad. Interestingly, your statement "a poor person wouldn't say that because they would have more empathy and more of a clue what the person might be going through" is awfully presumptous. You mean to tell me you know for a fact that not one poor person has tried to cheer their kid up by using this technique. I cannot believe you all are getting so upset by this when there are far larger things to be upset by. Truth be known it came out of DeLay's mouth and you all want to attack it no matter how patently innocuous it was and no matter how universal his technique is
Suprisingly, I agree with you in this case. Mountain out of molehill. And I think any other kind of person could say all kinds of strange things to cheer a kid up, or to attempt to lighten the conversation.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
come again?
i didnt the first time

i was stating an example of the technique as you called it and why it fails at best...obv knowing that at the particular moment they werent knee deep in chit...
Old 09-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Suprisingly, I agree with you in this case. Mountain out of molehill. And I think any other kind of person could say all kinds of strange things to cheer a kid up, or to attempt to lighten the conversation.
interesting that a mountain is made from a simple molehill post... i kind of the like the idea of comforting a child and letting them know that everything is going to be ok, and offering hugs and kind words...not asking "be honest, is this kind of fun?" id have a look of perplexity too..
Old 09-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
interesting that a mountain is made from a simple molehill post... i kind of the like the idea of comforting a child and letting them know that everything is going to be ok, and offering hugs and kind words...not asking "be honest, is this kind of fun?" id have a look of perplexity too..
Precisely. It's a stupid question.