User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
The language of that is confusing. Maybe he should issue an executive order barring profiteering from these folks' hell.

tell that to the oil companies

Louise Slaughter - D-New York just put forth a bill that would cap the gas prices at 2.50 - she had numbers on the oil companies profits in the last three months - they're not hurting let me tell ya. It's disgusting. She's pissed- but since the Congress is majority Republican her poor bill will probably go nowhere...
Old 09-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Well...Ya know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna

Louise Slaughter - D-New York just put forth a bill that would cap the gas prices at 2.50 - she had numbers on the oil companies profits in the last three months - they're not hurting let me tell ya. It's disgusting. She's pissed- but since the Congress is majority Republican her poor bill will probably go nowhere...
you could live in Oklahoma where tomorrow is a vote of the people to increase the gasoline tax another $0.05 a gallon to help pay for the upkeep of state roads & bridges (Bringing the total tax to $0.22 a gallon)...

But dont ya think it is funny how Oil companies are sponsoring the "Yes" vote for this law by stating a vote for "Yes" will 'insure the safety of the children of Oklahoma', I 'wonder why' that would be???

Too bad it is predicted to fail miserably (Thank God!)

Also our Governor Henry is wanting to temporarily repeal the current $0.17 a gallon tax until the end of the year, But the Republicans are saying that would be illegal...Yeah, We dont want those BILLIONAIRE'S oil barons to lose more $$$$ while the rest of us are selling our arms & legs for a gallon.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna

Probably not but God love her for trying!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Michael Brown just resigned from FEMA

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tom Delay to Hurricane Survivors: "Is This Kind of Fun?"

House Majority leader Tom DeLay was heard talking with a group of young boys who are temporarily staying in the Houston Astrodome after fleeing New Orleans. Delay asked them QUOTE "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" The boys reportedly nodded but looked perplexed by Delay's question.

www.democracynow.com
Old 09-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
House Majority leader Tom DeLay was heard talking with a group of young boys who are temporarily staying in the Houston Astrodome after fleeing New Orleans. Delay asked them QUOTE "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" The boys reportedly nodded but looked perplexed by Delay's question.

www.democracynow.com
And the insensitivity continues to prevail...
Old 09-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And the insensitivity continues to prevail...
I think he was trying to cheer them up rather than be serious. Sort of like you tell a child "you are really going to like meeting people at school." But, to each their own.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I think he was trying to cheer them up rather than be serious. Sort of like you tell a child "you are really going to like meeting people at school." But, to each their own.
That's kind of what I thought, too. I mean, you don't really want to talk to kids about bad things, or big issues. I mean, maybe he could've said something else that was upbeat, but...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Perhaps, but you don't see how that is insensitive? They lost everything but it's fun? I doubt it is fun. I'm sure they have some fun there, but overall sharing your bedroom with thousands of strangers isn't fun.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Perhaps, but you don't see how that is insensitive? They lost everything but it's fun? I doubt it is fun. I'm sure they have some fun there, but overall sharing your bedroom with thousands of strangers isn't fun.
Well, I agree, but people do that all of the time with little kids in an effort to keep them from facing the truth, which adults usually handle better. Just like you buy a kid an ice cream cone when they are sad. Everyone knows the cone will no solve anything, but it will for a little while.

I guess I just see this as a non-event in the light of so many major mess ups.

On edit - this three seconds of quai niceness does not in any way make DeLay less of an a$$ and a liar.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

children arent stupid...lets watch the fireworks blow up johnnyboys hand..dont play with matches...happy fourth of july...isnt this fun?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://today.reuters.com/investing/f...RINA-BROWN.XML

FEMA revises Brown's bio after exaggeration charges

WASHINGTON, Sept 12 (Reuters) - The Federal Emergency Management Agency has quietly revised the official biography of its embattled director, Michael Brown, to correct an error about his background in local government following allegations he exaggerated his disaster relief experience.

Already under fire for a slow response to Hurricane Katrina, Brown was pulled out of the Gulf Coast operations on Friday and recalled to Washington. President George W. Bush is under pressure from Democrats to fire him.

Brown's biography on FEMA's Web site, www.fema.gov, was updated at just after 5 p.m. on Sunday to revise his title while working in local government in Edmond, Oklahoma, in the 1970s.

One correction was made to make clear that Brown had not served as "an assistant city manager," as had been stated in his biography. The new biography states that Brown served as "an assistant to the city manager."

FEMA also revised Brown's role in emergency planning at the time.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
children arent stupid...lets watch the fireworks blow up johnnyboys hand..dont play with matches...happy fourth of july...isnt this fun?
of course they are not, but haven't you ever tried to make a bleak situation light with a child by this technique. If you have not, then you are in the vast minority there

Again, I depsise DeLay, but I think he did not do anything horrendus here as opposed to elsewhere.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention

http://today.reuters.com/investing/f...RINA-BROWN.XML

FEMA revises Brown's bio after exaggeration charges

WASHINGTON, Sept 12 (Reuters) - The Federal Emergency Management Agency has quietly revised the official biography of its embattled director, Michael Brown, to correct an error about his background in local government following allegations he exaggerated his disaster relief experience.

Already under fire for a slow response to Hurricane Katrina, Brown was pulled out of the Gulf Coast operations on Friday and recalled to Washington. President George W. Bush is under pressure from Democrats to fire him.

Brown's biography on FEMA's Web site, www.fema.gov, was updated at just after 5 p.m. on Sunday to revise his title while working in local government in Edmond, Oklahoma, in the 1970s.

One correction was made to make clear that Brown had not served as "an assistant city manager," as had been stated in his biography. The new biography states that Brown served as "an assistant to the city manager."

FEMA also revised Brown's role in emergency planning at the time.
Again, those misstatements we talked about were hardly significant in that the mayor corrected the title but also said Brown's duties encompassed what he alleged

Old 09-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
of course they are not, but haven't you ever tried to make a bleak situation light with a child by this technique. If you have not, then you are in the vast minority there
Of course, but I would never approach a child and ask them if being displaced from their home, their possessions, and the life that they knew is FUN. Regardless of his intent, it was stupid and is yet another in a long list of things that demonstrate how detached these rich politicians are from the reality that the rest of the country lives in.