Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumidesigns View Post
did you drink it?
Naw, I gave it to a woman and she said "Ooooh, that's alot!"

Last edited by MacShadowsBall; 08-18-2011 at 03:20 PM..
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

every day, promptly at 4:00 pm, my coworker in the cube next to me devours an entire cup of ice. First I get to hear the ice rattling in the plastic cup, followed by the open mouthed chewing. It's a one two punch, if you will. The individual who used to have my job and my cube complained about the ice chewing incessantly. I now feel her pain. It's all I can do somedays not to hurl my stapler at him and tell him to shut the F up.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Naw, I gave it a woman and she said "Ooooh, that's alot!"

i bet you get that a lot.

oooooooooooh no............there goes my mind again.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Welcome to my life. I have a severe hypothyroid and my body rejects the hormones they give you to treat it, so I'm eating very little and working out 6 days a week and yet it takes weeks for me to lose a single pound.
Standard treatment for hypothyroid is synthetic thyroid, e.g., levothyroxine. Have you tried "natural" thyroid (derived from porcine thyroid glands?). I have heard of people who swear by Armour Thyroid, which is a legitimate drug preparation, although I don't think all pharmacies carry it.

As I've stated before, these are my golden rules for weight loss/maintenance:

-Do not drink your calories. Avoid drinks sweetened with sugar or laden with cream. Avoid juice.

-Do not starve yourself. Eat when you are hungry and stop as soon as you are sated.

-All carbs are not evil. Only avoid/minimize processed/refined/simple carbs.

-Unless you are chronically anemic, avoid meat. Cheese is not your friend either. Eat plenty of fiber.

-No eating within 3 hours of bed time. Eat a big breakfast, a generous lunch and a small dinner (or snack on nuts, veggies and fruit for dinner instead).

-Concentrate on strength training, including yoga and pilates, rather than cardio.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Standard treatment for hypothyroid is synthetic thyroid, e.g., levothyroxine. Have you tried "natural" thyroid (derived from porcine thyroid glands?). I have heard of people who swear by Armour Thyroid, which is a legitimate drug preparation, although I don't think all pharmacies carry it.

As I've stated before, these are my golden rules for weight loss/maintenance:

-Do not drink your calories. Avoid drinks sweetened with sugar or laden with cream. Avoid juice.

-Do not starve yourself. Eat when you are hungry and stop as soon as you are sated.

-All carbs are not evil. Only avoid/minimize processed/refined/simple carbs.

-Unless you are chronically anemic, avoid meat. Cheese is not your friend either. Eat plenty of fiber.

-No eating within 3 hours of bed time. Eat a big breakfast, a generous lunch and a small dinner (or snack on nuts, veggies and fruit for dinner instead).

-Concentrate on strength training, including yoga and pilates, rather than cardio.
I do most of this. I only drink tea and water, I very rarely eat heavily processed foods (a few times a month max), I eat 1000-1500 calories a day and count them religiously, I spend at least 30 minutes doing strength training a day/6x a week (and run 3-4 miles as well). I rarely eat red meat and only eat chicken a few times a week, if that.

It's just so frustrating. I had no problem losing weight/maintaining a certain weight until last year when my thyroid decided to pretty much stop functioning -- and I feel like there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I can live if I'm like this forever -- I'm very slowly learning to accept the parts of myself that I really hate. I just feel like I've lost all of my appeal because of this, and it's really started to consume my day-to-day life. On top of that, I'm petrified of restricting myself too much because I'm constantly battling my previous eating disorder and I know that if I don't watch myself, I'll easily slip back into that after years of staying away...

I'll look into that natural alternative -- thanks for the advice as always, Ed.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Welcome to my life. I have a severe hypothyroid and my body rejects the hormones they give you to treat it, so I'm eating very little and working out 6 days a week and yet it takes weeks for me to lose a single pound.
One of my best friends has Hashimotos, and she struggles with weight constantly. Before she was diagnosed, it didn't matter how little she ate or how much she exercised - the weight just kept adding up.

Thankfully, her diagnosis meant there was a treatment which seems to be working well.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
every day, promptly at 4:00 pm, my coworker in the cube next to me devours an entire cup of ice. First I get to hear the ice rattling in the plastic cup, followed by the open mouthed chewing. It's a one two punch, if you will. The individual who used to have my job and my cube complained about the ice chewing incessantly. I now feel her pain. It's all I can do somedays not to hurl my stapler at him and tell him to shut the F up.
hmmmm. when the ice bit starts, have you thought about utilizing said stapler as a hand exerciser thereby creating a silvery mound of staples on your desk? if there are issues with utilizing office supplies (staples) needlessly, hole punching a ream of paper works just as well as likely there will be a need for hole-punched paper at some point (this could be considered proactive with supply needs)

when he rounds the corner to complain, look him square in the eye and tell him you find this to be the perfect time to conduct the task as it manages to drownout what sounds like every bad motel 6 icemachine - then give him a pondering look while asking "do you think it is the chiller for the air conditioning unit?"

goodluck.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
One of my best friends has Hashimotos, and she struggles with weight constantly. Before she was diagnosed, it didn't matter how little she ate or how much she exercised - the weight just kept adding up.

Thankfully, her diagnosis meant there was a treatment which seems to be working well.
Yeah, I know how she feels. I'm glad that she found a way to deal with it!

Well, things could be a lot worse for me considering obesity is in my blood (thanks, dad). I'm not seriously overweight or anything, this doesn't affect my health in any way. I definitely count my blessings when it comes to this... it's just so irritating to watch yourself transform over a period of a year and not be able to do anything about it.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do most of this. I only drink tea and water, I very rarely eat heavily processed foods (a few times a month max), I eat 1000-1500 calories a day and count them religiously, I spend at least 30 minutes doing strength training a day/6x a week (and run 3-4 miles as well). I rarely eat red meat and only eat chicken a few times a week, if that.

It's just so frustrating. I had no problem losing weight/maintaining a certain weight until last year when my thyroid decided to pretty much stop functioning -- and I feel like there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I can live if I'm like this forever -- I'm very slowly learning to accept the parts of myself that I really hate. I just feel like I've lost all of my appeal because of this, and it's really started to consume my day-to-day life. On top of that, I'm petrified of restricting myself too much because I'm constantly battling my previous eating disorder and I know that if I don't watch myself, I'll easily slip back into that after years of staying away...

I'll look into that natural alternative -- thanks for the advice as always, Ed.
1000-1500 seems draconian if you are indeed exercising that much.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumidesigns View Post
i bet you get that a lot.
No comment.

Actually I took my drug test yesterday, hence me urinating into a specimen cup.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
1000-1500 seems draconian if you are indeed exercising that much.
Exactly. I average 1200 a day.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly. I average 1200 a day.
Ok, let me rephrase... You may be eating too little for your body to lose weight.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
Ok, let me rephrase... You may be eating too little for your body to lose weight.
I don't think so, but its possible. I never feel all that hungry -- I just choose what I eat very carefully. Also, I try to slightly vary my calorie intake each day so my body doesn't get too used to a certain system, which prevents your body from going into starvation mode and retaining as much of the fat you consume as possible.

Basically, I think my thyroid is just screwing me over. Again, could be wrong, but my research shows I'm generally doing the right thing.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think so, but its possible. I never feel all that hungry -- I just choose what I eat very carefully. Also, I try to slightly vary my calorie intake each day so my body doesn't get too used to a certain system, which prevents your body from going into starvation mode and retaining as much of the fat you consume as possible.

Basically, I think my thyroid is just screwing me over. Again, could be wrong, but my research shows I'm generally doing the right thing.
More power to ya.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

NEW UPDATE:

I wasnt able to get my mom today...She had to fill out more paperwork and plus she HAD to stay 5 days. So I'll be getting her at 11am SHARP!!! Then she'll be doing the oupatient treatment =)

~Love, Caitlin~