User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
She still gets the biggest cut. She still gets to make demands and hold the band hostage if she wants. Hence they are holding off on an album because of her, even with Christine back. If Lindsey and/or Christine or Mick and John were the "boss" as the OP said, the album would be happening and they'd be able to force Stevie's hand to do it now.
you know, i'm starting to think that now too. for a long time, i thought it was just that they are unwilling to outright fire her, and also that they wanted to make sure they can still have these huge cash grab tours. and i'm sure there's a lot of that in their thinking.

but especially reading that "Stevie's people" quote, it got me thinking maybe there's something contractual that's stopping them from even considering releasing the album they almost have in the can as a FM if SN is not on there; that it's not all emotions, love and cash grabs.

last week's episode of Vinyl had a plot line about Elvis doing Vegas shows and basically not getting to make any career decisions on his own, being a bit like Colonel Parker's puppet. got me thinking about "Stevie's people" and how does decision making go in her camp. and Lindsey's recent lyrics about not getting through to the person behind her current facade ("It may be you don't remember me but I remember you"). and somebody here analyzing SN and saying how she doesn't live in reality. convoluted i know... and probably doesn't make much sense.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-02-2016, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you know, i'm starting to think that now too. for a long time, i thought it was just that they are unwilling to outright fire her, and also that they wanted to make sure they can still have these huge cash grab tours. and i'm sure there's a lot of that in their thinking.

but especially reading that "Stevie's people" quote, it got me thinking maybe there's something contractual that's stopping them from even considering releasing the album they almost have in the can as a FM if SN is not on there; that it's not all emotions, love and cash grabs.

last week's episode of Vinyl had a plot line about Elvis doing Vegas shows and basically not getting to make any career decisions on his own, being a bit like Colonel Parker's puppet. got me thinking about "Stevie's people" and how does decision making go in her camp. and Lindsey's recent lyrics about not getting through to the person behind her current facade ("It may be you don't remember me but I remember you"). and somebody here analyzing SN and saying how she doesn't live in reality. convoluted i know... and probably doesn't make much sense.
makes sense to me and I'm a huge Stevie fan.

There's the mythology and romanticized version of being in a band that performers like to perpetuate (and Stevie in particular) but it's a *business* a nitty-gritty, down and dirty dog-eat-dog *business* once you get big and famous. It's not the same thing as a bunch of people who like each other getting together anymore. A lot of FM fans though don't want to see beyond that facade-- and the band (most of them) don't *want* us to see that side. But it's there in force in this band. Lindsey is the only one who really alludes to it with his refs to "band politics" and such. But even he walks a thin line because if Stevie's feathers get too ruffled it makes everyone's life hell. I will go don my suit of armor now for the onslaught.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
makes sense to me and I'm a huge Stevie fan.

There's the mythology and romanticized version of being in a band that performers like to perpetuate (and Stevie in particular) but it's a *business* a nitty-gritty, down and dirty dog-eat-dog *business* once you get big and famous. It's not the same thing as a bunch of people who like each other getting together anymore. A lot of FM fans though don't want to see beyond that facade-- and the band (most of them) don't *want* us to see that side. But it's there in force in this band. Lindsey is the only one who really alludes to it with his refs to "band politics" and such. But even he walks a thin line because if Stevie's feathers get too ruffled it makes everyone's life hell. I will go don my suit of armor now for the onslaught.
You are so right. People think that what they do on stage is indicative of what they do in their personal lives and that couldn't be farther from the truth. It's all a business and it's art. And while they do have a musical chemistry between the five of them, they don't hang out or have relationships beyond touring and studio.

The politics has indeed been there since 1982 ish. And you better believe the words were said, "well if I don't get my way, I'm leaving!!" and that sentence was said over and over again. I often thought when Christine left it was in part because of the politics. You can only handle so much immature behavior. And Christine don't play.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

What is the "Stevie's people" quote? Did someone besides a Ledgie use that term?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
What is the "Stevie's people" quote? Did someone besides a Ledgie use that term?
it came from Mick's book.

it's quoted somewhere in these threads. something about Mick needing agreement from Stevie's people, John, Christine, and Lindsey, in order to get a tour or album together back in the 80s.

a ledgie used it?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
if Stevie's feathers get too ruffled it makes everyone's life hell. I will go don my suit of armor now for the onslaught.
You're right. I would say she's my favorite performer in the band, but I never understood the blinders people have regarding her ways. There are fans who think if she recorded herself passing gas it should go platinum.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post
You're right. I would say she's my favorite performer in the band, but I never understood the blinders people have regarding her ways. There are fans who think if she recorded herself passing gas it should go platinum.
they bought into the ethereal witch persona her PR team create an the media sold along with poor self esteem / celebrity worship syndrome coupled with this
http://time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/
Old 04-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the record, I have been here for about 15 years(I lurked before my join date), and I have saved nearly every crazy pic and meme that has ever been posted here.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:11 PM

Let's hope we get some album news!!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But why do these people care about album sales any longer?
Michele
Of course every artist hopes for their work to be received well and become commercially viable. But we're talking about a world-wide, esteemed fifty-something year-old band. I believe they are well aware of their place in today's market. They shouldn't expect the chart-busting sales from days past. However, given this significant circumstance (where this will likely the last new music from such a historic band), it's reasonable to assume the album will succeed in major markets throughout the worl. I hope the music on their farewell album is approached with less emphasis on trying to be being current/commercial, and more about being seamless/timeless. They really have nothing to lose now.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 04-05-2016 at 11:25 PM..
Old 04-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think most members are aware of their place in today's market, I think the real grey area is how some members (ok probably one member in mind...) choose to accept that reality & how they choose to let their ego be affected by it.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:38 PM

I think if they did a new album and toured it, it would do really well. It's all in the marketing.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But solo, Stevie would draw a bigger crowd than Christine. Not saying that's fair, but it's true.
Well of course. Stevie was able to create a career independent/outside of Fleetwood Mac, thanks largely to hit duets with Kenny Loggins, Tom Petty, and Don Henley. Christine and Lindsey didn't do that. Christine's public persona is especially enmeshed with Fleetwood Mac, hence why, regardless of her relative lack of name recognition, ticket sales were so much higher with her than without her.

Quote:
And being such a big draw solo for so many years has given Stevie leverage within the band. The 'band politics" Lindsey always refers to.
Except that her popularity as a solo artist has waned over the past decade. Yeah, she had more leverage between 1998-2013, when the only other person fronting the band only had three hit singles. That's not the case now.

Quote:
An album without Stevie will not sell the same as an album with Stevie. Again, rightly or wrongly
The days of hit records are long behind them, Stevie or no.

Quote:
She still gets the biggest cut.
Source?

Quote:
She still gets to make demands and hold the band hostage if she wants.
Source?

Stevie lost a lot of leverage with Christine's return. The band can easily function without her. They'd rather not, because that five-piece is a rock legend, but Stevie and her people would be wise to humble themselves a little.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-06-2016, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

This arguement always seems to come up and I'm not sure why because as a five-piece band they are fantastic and we should just be grateful that they are still here and in fine shape.

BUT. The fact is, if Stevie Nicks left the band there is no way that the band would sell as many concert tickets or albums. And that is not opinion, that is fact. Now let's not bring this up again because it's pointless!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I think most members are aware of their place in today's market, I think the real grey area is how some members (ok probably one member in mind...) choose to accept that reality & how they choose to let their ego be affected by it.
I hear you. John should just stick to playing bass and stop stressing over useless sales info!

He Will Burn You Down