User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
^^ that IS disrespectful because they told you it would be done.
I know it's hard thinking of him being there alone, but it's not him. The best part of him is what you have now-which is memories

And I doubt they have him just lying around. I'm sure he is being taken care of.

Well, he's home now. The first thing the crematory lady did was apologize for yesterday, so I didn't have to kill her with a rusty knife. Although she did tell me that they didn't freeze him, so I'm trying not to think about how he was "stored". His ashes are in a tin, a little bigger than a yogurt container(I figured there'd be more). The weird thing- they gave me back the "comforter thing" that the vet gave him to pass away on. It makes me sad holding it, but I think I'm going to keep it(I had planned on returning it to the vet). I can't explain why.....it just makes me feel closer to him.

I'm doing much better today, though. I sure do miss him, but I'm glad that any suffering is over.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
are in a tin, a little bigger than a yogurt container(I figured there'd be more). The weird thing- they gave me back the "comforter thing" that the vet gave him to pass away on. It makes me sad holding it, but I think I'm going to keep it(I had planned on returning it to the vet). I can't explain why.....it just makes me feel closer to him.
I dont think thats weird. I totally get wanting to keep that.

I'm glad you are feeling better today. You have a lot of people thinking about you...

rbs
Old 12-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so sorry, Homie... I'm just reading this, and I am truely sad for you. Cash knows how much you love him. You did everything a parent could do for his child, and I have much respect for you because of it. You are in my thoughts.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, he's home now. The first thing the crematory lady did was apologize for yesterday, so I didn't have to kill her with a rusty knife. Although she did tell me that they didn't freeze him, so I'm trying not to think about how he was "stored". His ashes are in a tin, a little bigger than a yogurt container(I figured there'd be more). The weird thing- they gave me back the "comforter thing" that the vet gave him to pass away on. It makes me sad holding it, but I think I'm going to keep it(I had planned on returning it to the vet). I can't explain why.....it just makes me feel closer to him.

I'm doing much better today, though. I sure do miss him, but I'm glad that any suffering is over.
When they returned Maggie, my beloved, I had a little ceremony and put her ashes on the grave of her sister Mimi, who we put down about two years earlier. It took awhile for me to get over that, but it did happen. Of course, I spent more than one night still looking around corners for her. The intereting thing to me was my two new ones (Wynn and Laine) looked for her for awhile as well. In the end my friend, only time can do it.

Also, I had a panic attack when the house was sold and Mimi was literally in the ground and Maggie's ashes were there. But, that too passed. Of course, a few days before the move, I showed up three sheets to the wind and burned a candle on the spot.

In the end, it just sucks, but you did the right thing.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

I'm right there with you David. When I returned home this evening I went straight to shelly and wept. I am glad you are feeling stronger today. Take it easy tonight.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I am so sorry to hear about Cash, Homie. I know that you loved him and did everything that you could for him. It reminds me of all that my friend did for her dog Bandit. He too had cancer and it was only a matter of time. She had to make that same decision back in the summertime. It was not easy but she had no choice. He seemed just to get really bad all of a sudden.
Pets become part of out families and we love them just like a member of the family sometimes. I know that Cash, in his dog's soul loves you and all that you did for him.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
When they returned Maggie, my beloved, I had a little ceremony and put her ashes on the grave of her sister Mimi, who we put down about two years earlier. It took awhile for me to get over that, but it did happen. Of course, I spent more than one night still looking around corners for her. The intereting thing to me was my two new ones (Wynn and Laine) looked for her for awhile as well. In the end my friend, only time can do it.

Also, I had a panic attack when the house was sold and Mimi was literally in the ground and Maggie's ashes were there. But, that too passed. Of course, a few days before the move, I showed up three sheets to the wind and burned a candle on the spot.

In the end, it just sucks, but you did the right thing.
That's why I want to keep Cash's ashes(wow, that rhymes, and sucks) with ME. I've instructed my family that I want to be cremated also, and his ashes put in the same urn as mine(yes, I STILL don't have a will.....that's been on my "list" for the past 5 years).

My dog that I grew up with is buried at our- long since sold- family home. I walk by there a couple times a year(my aunt still lives right down the street), but haven't ventured into the yard. If the people were ever outside, I think I'd ask if they minded me taking a look. I remember worrying about her grave, when Mom sold the house.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 12-20-2006 at 04:25 AM..
Old 12-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's why I want to keep Cash's ashes(wow, that rhymes, and sucks) with ME.

Hee. It does rhyme.

We kept Cosmo's too. Mark bought a little wooden box from a craft store to put them in, which he plans to stain & engrave with Cos's name.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's hard for me to visit this thread since dealing w/ my own loss earlier this year...

Homie, I am SO sorry for your loss. You and Cash had a good run together. I also had my "baby" cremated, and he's in a beautiful urn on my nightstand. Every once in awhile, I pet it and say hello.

Hang in there.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I also had my "baby" cremated, and he's in a beautiful urn on my nightstand. Every once in awhile, I pet it and say hello.
Hang in there.

Awww...I think about and miss Cagie too, sweetie. He was a doll.

About 6 years ago, I did the hardest thing I ever had to do and put my 10 year feline companion to sleep after a long bout with leukemia. A day doesnt go by where I don't think about Rhiannon. She really WAS my best friend...we had gone through so much together.

Homie, Cash was lucky to have you and you lucky to have Cash.
The love you both shared will NEVER leave you.

rbs
Old 12-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I went and visited my friend's house, for dinner, tonight. "Matt" was Cash's original owner. They're the ones(he and his wife) who run a rescue farm. I was fine with all the dogs they had running around......for hours.....until I finally kissed this little dog on the head. THAT, started the waterworks. Not too bad, but still....

Then, I get home(just now). I had two sympathy cards in the mailbox, from two cousins of mine. Both cards had a short letter on how much the whole family loved Cash, and how much he'll be missed by all(he went with me to all family functions). Here I go again.

I'm doing really well, until something really digs up a memory, then I lose it.
Kissing that little dog on the head really f*cked me up.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 12-21-2006 at 03:45 AM..
Old 12-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Ledgie

Homie, I really feel for you! I have also lost a couple of pets I've been really close to. It takes a long long time to cope with it.
They say "time heals all wounds' but I think some wounds never completely heal, it just make them a little less painful. Give it time, and don't be afraid of "losing it", it's all part of the grieving process.

Not sure if you've ever seen this poem, but it helped me a lot when I lost my dog/friend Zeus.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

RAL tour '86
Old 12-22-2006, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksforLife View Post
Homie, I really feel for you! I have also lost a couple of pets I've been really close to. It takes a long long time to cope with it.
They say "time heals all wounds' but I think some wounds never completely heal, it just make them a little less painful. Give it time, and don't be afraid of "losing it", it's all part of the grieving process.

Not sure if you've ever seen this poem, but it helped me a lot when I lost my dog/friend Zeus.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm
Thanks. Actually, my aunt sent me Rainbows Bridge, clipped out of a newspaper, today(with a sympathy card). My family has really touched me, with their outpouring of sympathy. I never thought most people cared about animals, to the extent that I do. Or knew how much he meant to me.
I guess I was wrong.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksforLife View Post
They say "time heals all wounds' but I think some wounds never completely heal, it just make them a little less painful.
I have all the sympathy in the world for you, Homie. You know that. It's been over a month since I lost Banjo. Almost 3 years since I lost my other two birds.

Time blunts. Life goes on. We see other triumphs and joys and defeats.

I do not want to be a downer. It's only a testimony to attachment, but as the Dixie Chicks have now famously have written,

"They say time heals everything, but I'm still waiting."

Still waiting.

And with you, man.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I have all the sympathy in the world for you, Homie. You know that. It's been over a month since I lost Banjo. Almost 3 years since I lost my other two birds.

Time blunts. Life goes on. We see other triumphs and joys and defeats.

I do not want to be a downer. It's only a testimony to attachment, but as the Dixie Chicks have now famously have written,

"They say time heals everything, but I'm still waiting."

Still waiting.

And with you, man.
Thanks Sparkster. I'll be okay, in the end. A little crying never killed anyone. Of course, I miss him more than anything in the world. But, life has a way of dealing us lemons. We just have to make lemonade. That's the key.

Sleeping without him in the bed, is by far, the hardest part. My teddy bear. One of the things that I loved about cold weather was - he would snuggle up against me so tight, that I couldn't(wouldn't) move, because I didn't want to wake him up. He'd completely "spoon" my backside(shoulders really, he was only 30ish lbs), and I'd wake up with both his front legs/paws across my face. On those days, I'd lie there still, maybe a full half hour after I awoke, because I loved it, having my best friend so close.
Good times, I'm tellin' ya. The best.

(gawd I feel like a dork, sharing that stuff. But, F it).