User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I don't want anyone to get shot, not even him. He is one of the worst Pres' ever, but I don't wish him to die.

What other states are helping? Of course I live in Texas, so we see mostly how Dallas, Houston, San Antonio are helping, but I'm curious as to what other states are helping. If you live in a state that's helping out, post about it!!

Well, of course, our charities are doing stuff. Last night a local tv station had a Hurricane relieft telethon...

Today our local police union unveilved their "Adopt a Family" program - they will fly people up here and try to provide them with everything they need - they're calling on all professional organizations to do the same...
Old 09-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Oklahoma...

Quote:
What other states are helping? Of course I live in Texas, so we see mostly how Dallas, Houston, San Antonio are helping, but I'm curious as to what other states are helping. If you live in a state that's helping out, post about it!!
is offering as much help as needed....Not waiting to be asked, OKC has already opened it's arms to NOLA residents as they have started to arrive yesterday.

A private company in OKC (That shuttles the OU & OSU sport teams, Among others) is sending their fleet of buses (22 immediately...11 more in another day) to take the citizens of NOLA out of that carnage of what was once their city.

The Mayor of OKC, Mick Cornette (Former channel 5 KOCO sports-caster) has offered any and all resources that the city can provide...And our beloved governor Brad Henry (Democrat) has sent Oklahoma National Guard units down to NOLA as we speak.

Also a joint effort between the Oklahoma Redhawks baseball team and the New Orleans Zephyrs (Who have been in OKC playing a series since Sunday) raised about $6000 for relief efforts...Which is sad because the Zephyrs do not know what they are going to find when/if they return to NOLA.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 09-02-2005 at 12:28 PM..
Old 09-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Guard has finally arrived

According to MSNBC a vast convoy carrying food and water has arrived in NO.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Awesome!

I just wanted people to post about their states, because of all the bad press out there. All I'm hearing is raping, killing, looting, turing away food and stuff...etc. I'm sure the world is reading all of that crap and nothing good.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Kinda obvious...

Quote:
I just wanted people to post about their states, because of all the bad press out there. All I'm hearing is raping, killing, looting, turing away food and stuff...etc. I'm sure the world is reading all of that crap and nothing good.
that we, Oklahomans, dont wait to help or to be asked for help (It's called the "Oklahoma Standard")...Just returning a favor 'cause we were once the ones who were suffering.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 09-02-2005 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: I'm sick and typing is a more taxing drag than before.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

last night on the news...they showed this old man being handcuffed and his wife saying pls dont take my husband while she was knee deep in water...and the family's babies desperately crying...i understand that looting is wrong, but can they make exceptions in determining between who is taking in desperation for family food/water and who the thugs who are stealing for profit, etc...it just seemed so heartless to take him to jail while leaving his family helpless there. jail probably seems like a good option at this point with the square meals. i just thought it was sad.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/0...log/index.html

'Incredible scene' on Interstate 10
People living on highway

We're now driving on Interstate 10, and there is just an incredible scene. It looks like people are actually living on the highway.

Some of them may be waiting to be picked-up. But I'm not exaggerating when I say probably thousands of people are just sitting on the interstate, sitting on the side of the road, and shielding their faces from the sun. It is an intensely hot day.

Even port-a-johns have been set up on Interstate 10.

You can tell the job of trying to get all these people out of New Orleans is enormous.

Early this morning, I think it was around 4:30 a.m. or so, there was a massive explosion, just a massive boom. We've heard a lot of gunfire in the city, but this was unlike anything else we have heard. And as soon as I stepped outside, I saw this orange glow out on the horizon.

The entire city of New Orleans is black at night. There are no lights whatsoever in the city. And there was this orange glow after the boom. From there, a flame appeared, and within about an hour, there was a black rainbow that rose up and covered part of downtown.

We're told that a hazmat team has been assembled and is heading out that way. With the security situation the way it is now, it will be very difficult for them to make their way around the city.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

My company flew a resue flight out of New Orleans yesterday...

Delta Flies 140 Evacuees to Metro

Web Editor: Sean Rowe
Reported By: Paul Crawley
Last Modified: 9/2/2005 8:54:46 AM

More than 100 refugees from water-logged New Orleans are calling Atlanta their home for now thanks to the generosity of Delta Air Lines.

The effort sprang from a Delta flight into Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport on Thursday. Intending to only deliver a load of supplies to the storm-ravaged area, the heartbreaking conditions of the airport, which had become a make-shift hospital and morgue to hundreds of evacuees, prompted Delta to fly about 140 people out of the watery wasteland.

Delta offered every seat on its plane free of charge to the evacuees who had been stranded at the Gulf Coast airport since Hurricane Katrina drove them from their homes in Louisiana.

After arriving at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the people, who hailed from all walks of life, were relieved to gone from their own personal hell. One of them brought along the home video they’d shot earlier in the week, when deadly floodwaters began surrounding Chalmette Hospital in New Orleans.

One refugee said, “Everybody was so thankful when that plane took-off, everybody started cheering.”

Jennifer Willheit, another refugee, said, “I’m on dry ground. That’s all I can say. I see grass and it’s green and I’m smiling even though I have nothing.”

Now, with only the clothes on their backs, these refugees said they’re happy for even the faintest glimmer of hope in what they called a disaster they could never have imagined. Several of them were given a room at a nearby Holiday Inn, courtesy of Delta.

A spokesperson for Delta said the airline will continue to fly supplies into New Orleans and fly out one plane-load of evacuees for as long as it’s needed. Federal regulations only allow Delta one flight per day into the restricted airspace.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

KY is sending guard members. I'm supposed to check my class rolls Tuesday for any students who may have been called up. Locally, the UK Alumni Association is donating all of its proceeds for its tail-gaiting event for the UK/U of L football game to the Red Cross. And UK has admitted more than a dozen students displaced by Katrina.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4098910&EDATE=

Wal-Mart Commits Additional $15 Million to Katrina Relief
Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh that's righ t- some local colleges are also admitting displaced students too!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

http://www.denverpost.com/katrina/ci_2994519

Colo. Guard lends helping hand
Old 09-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

SUNY Buffalo is admitting some undergrad and law students from Tulane & Loyola Universities. They're helping them get up here & get housing & financial aid.

A woman called in to our local news today & had a great idea - for those that own apartment buildings, duplexes, etc. around the nation, it would be wonderful if people could donate housing rent free for a few months to help people relocate. This would ease relocation costs slightly & give them time to find a job in a new city.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Junior Ledgie

Has anybody else heard about the conspiracy idea about Katrina?
I heard the tail end of a program on a Talk radio station late last night. It was about the idea that Katrina may have been engineered by a weather control apparatus. I didn't get the name the broadcaster had on as a guest. He was suggesting that Katrina was steered into a target area in an effort to control, in part, the world population. He said it could conceivably happen with current scientific technology. The idea was brought into the discussion by a caller that the tsunami could have also been deliberately engineered. The guest said that it could be both racially and economically motivated.
"Expendable" people are the suspected targets.
I have not heard this before. I know it sounds fantastical and the very idea is shocking, but if it's even remotely possible it should at least be looked into. I'm very curious about it. Has anyone else heard about this? Could this really happen?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm
Has anybody else heard about the conspiracy idea about Katrina?
I heard the tail end of a program on a Talk radio station late last night. It was about the idea that Katrina may have been engineered by a weather control apparatus. I didn't get the name the broadcaster had on as a guest. He was suggesting that Katrina was steered into a target area in an effort to control, in part, the world population. He said it could conceivably happen with current scientific technology. The idea was brought into the discussion by a caller that the tsunami could have also been deliberately engineered. The guest said that it could be both racially and economically motivated.
"Expendable" people are the suspected targets.
I have not heard this before. I know it sounds fantastical and the very idea is shocking, but if it's even remotely possible it should at least be looked into. I'm very curious about it. Has anyone else heard about this? Could this really happen?
Jeezum crow. That is even crazier than the rumour that John Travolta used to be a waitress in St. Meyers, FL.