The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

After I went to Florida to go to Disney I am in LOVE! Palm trees, sunny, warm. Even when its raining its warm lol I guess when you live in New England where you have 4 seasons and its mostly cold, Florida is like paradise lol I actually would not mind moving to Florida. So beautiful!

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
This week, the Weather Channel is in Destin, FL which is in Okaloosa County. Destin has been a place my family has vacationed almost annually since I was..... I don't know 6 or something. So it brings back a lot of memories, and I LOVE IT!!! It's funny because they show these panoramic shots and stuff, and I TOTALLY know where they are!! It really feels like a second home, because I have been to Destin more times than any other city besides Louisville- and I guess now, Bowling Green. Makes me want to go back VERY badly!
Aside from my time living down here this winter, I've only ever vacationed in Clearwater Beach and visited Tampa. My brother and sis in law and their kids have vacationed in Destin and love it there. He was just talking about it yesterday as we were discussing our beach experiences we visited over the weekend. I went to Venice with my parents and other brothers and they decided on going up to Longboat Key because Siesta was just way too packed Saturday morning. Destin does look nice from what I've seen in pics but I wanted to live in South Florida when I came down. Hotter summers yes and greater storm threat, but the winters are warmer down here. I'm 4 1/2 hours down from the Florida-Georgia state line and I like this part of Florida down here. The Panhandle beaches look beautiful though too.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanted_Stevi View Post
After I went to Florida to go to Disney I am in LOVE! Palm trees, sunny, warm. Even when its raining its warm lol I guess when you live in New England where you have 4 seasons and its mostly cold, Florida is like paradise lol I actually would not mind moving to Florida. So beautiful!
It is a different experience I will say that. Living in Ohio all my life then moving down here. I absolutely love the weather here and the palm trees (who doesn't like those really?) and the tropical landscape in general. And that sweet salt air at the beach combined with everyones tanning lotion. I could live at the beach. And for me right now it's free, I can visit them anytime. I'm just hoping I don't get too homesick about little things I gave up living up north in Ohio. All in all I like it here, Florida will always be Florida. And this is nothing really but a life experience for me I needed to do.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have been to Captiva and it was gorgeous. White sugary beaches and turquoise seas...not to mention outstanding dining and accommodations. If you choose Captiva stay at the South Seas Island Resort and Yacht Harbour.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
Aside from my time living down here this winter, I've only ever vacationed in Clearwater Beach and visited Tampa. My brother and sis in law and their kids have vacationed in Destin and love it there. He was just talking about it yesterday as we were discussing our beach experiences we visited over the weekend. I went to Venice with my parents and other brothers and they decided on going up to Longboat Key because Siesta was just way too packed Saturday morning. Destin does look nice from what I've seen in pics but I wanted to live in South Florida when I came down. Hotter summers yes and greater storm threat, but the winters are warmer down here. I'm 4 1/2 hours down from the Florida-Georgia state line and I like this part of Florida down here. The Panhandle beaches look beautiful though too.
You are right about the winters- and that is something that I have considered. But it seems to me that there are more not ENORMOUS cities that have a decent amount of schools in the panhandle counties. It's just one of those things- it's a hard thing to research when there are so many GOOOD areas.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone here ever been to Cape Canaveral?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
It is a different experience I will say that. Living in Ohio all my life then moving down here. I absolutely love the weather here and the palm trees (who doesn't like those really?) and the tropical landscape in general. And that sweet salt air at the beach combined with everyones tanning lotion. I could live at the beach. And for me right now it's free, I can visit them anytime. I'm just hoping I don't get too homesick about little things I gave up living up north in Ohio. All in all I like it here, Florida will always be Florida. And this is nothing really but a life experience for me I needed to do.
HA! Yeah... sure! Wait until July/August and tell me how much you love Florida weather.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
HA! Yeah... sure! Wait until July/August and tell me how much you love Florida weather.
Well I've been down here in July and to me it really wasn't that bad, just the sun is a lot stronger for sure than up north. But I tolerated it just fine down here. You have to remember I grew up in Southern Ohio, so there was no breeze in the hot humid summer months and a lot would agree that the northern Mid Western states can feel like a hot frying pan during summer. At least here you're by water (if you're coastal) and you get the breezes. I remember returning home to Ohio in August a few years back after being down here for a bit and absolutely passing out as soon as I got out of the car, it was so humid hot. And me, my sister, and her then-husband all looked at each other and said "Damn, Florida wasn't even THIS HOT". So I guess it just depends on the individual. When it gets hot this summer, and we already have been in the mid to upper 80's down here, I will go about my day and remind myself I DO live in the south now and I knew that coming down here.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Blech. The humidity in Florida is brutal. It made me hate it after a few years.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Blech. The humidity in Florida is brutal. It made me hate it after a few years.
I'm just living here right now. I knew I didn't come down here to forever live. Like you, I just wanted to try something new for a change. This world is too big to live in one small place your entire life and really, if you're not tied down by anything keeping you somewhere, you can pack up and move anywhere. Which is exactly what I did.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Oh no, I'm not saying you made a bad choice ! haha... I'm just remembering those hot days and shuddering to myself
Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I Guess it all depends on personal preference. I detest anything under 60 degrees with a passion. Give me heat, humidity, and warm bodies of water to swim in and I'm just peachy!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I'd rather be cold than hot.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
I'd rather be cold than hot.
Yep. Far easier to be/get warm than to be/get cool.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Nothing worse than lying in bed at night... sweating.