User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
right now is my favorite. It's called 80 for his 80th birthday that he just celebrated Sept. 16th, so it just came out. Every song on it is with a different artist like Sheryl Crow, Elton John, Daryl Hall, Gloria Estefan, Eric Clapton, to name a few. It is great. I'd highly recommend it.

Lee
I haven't heard this album, so I don't know if it's good or... well, less good (I don't know that BB King can produce much that's actually bad), but let me go on record as saying that part of me deeply despises Frank Sinatra for introducing this concept into modern music.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
I understand exactly what you are talking about, and something I used to wonder about myself! However there IS a difference between Contemporary Christian and Praise and Worship. Most people who don't listen to any Christian music often think of Praise and Worship when they think of Christian music...but this is not ALL of what Christian music is! For example, Sara Groves, doesn't write every song about praising God, but life in general...love, heartbreak, loneliness, heck even materialism...just like most pop artist. The difference is that she comes at it from the standpoint of a Christian, and looks at all the subject matters through the eyes of her faith. If she weren't a Christian artist though, I could see her being a HUGE success mainstream wise...she just has IT! So I do see what you are talking about…
But God and Christianity are major explicit presences in all of her songs, yes? Even if the gist of the song isn't simply "Ain't God grand"? And she still labels herself as a "Christian" artist? This still seems like an unnecessarily narrow template from which to write and perform. If she "looks at all the subject matter through the eyes of her faith," it seems like that could get a bit boring and repetitive after a while, especially when it's not just one artist but an entire "genre" of music built around this sort of thing. Certainly every artist has values and experiences which inform all of their work, but the point of art is to always be seeking out new things to say and new ways of looking at and thinking about the world. The idea of being a "Christian" musician seems to preclude that in a lot of ways.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So I (as a singer and songwriter...which I am) am not coming from a completely honest place when I write songs about how God has shown his mercy in my life?
That's not at all what I said. There are PLENTY of other things to sing about, in addition to that. And, there's a way to do it without having to pigeonhole oneself as a "Christian" artist. Lots of very successful and respected artists have been able to infuse religious themes into more secular music: Eric Clapton, Bill Monroe, Johnny Cash, U2, Elvis, Loretta Lynn, Aretha Franklin, and the Staples Singers, to name but a very few. These artists are respected for their talents as all around singers/songwriters/musicians. Their religiosity was very present in their music, but it certainly didn't define their music. THAT'S the difference. The "Christian" performers are virtually unknown outside of the (Evangelical) Christian community, because there's really nothing interesting about these artists. They have absolutely nothing else to offer listeners. Furthermore, the way most execute their performances is bland at best and horrifically embarrassing at worst.
Quote:
If I were to get a record deal and record my music professionally, would I be selling out?
Hell, you don't have to be a Christian to ask that question. That's the question that has dogged MANY artists, regardless of religion over the years.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 10-04-2005 at 08:57 PM..
Old 10-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

...ummm... fav albums of 2005...

Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Fischerspooner - Odyssey
Coldyplay - X & Y
Old 10-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Let's see...

"W.A.R.P.E.D." Chris Caffery
"Octavarium" Dream Theater
"Real Illusions: Reflections" Steve Vai
"Elements of Persuasion" James Labrie

Upcoming releases that may be great:
"All the Way to the Sun" TNT
"Keeper of the Seven Keys-The Legacy" Helloween

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, let's see

1. Extrodinary Machine- Fiona Apple
2. Late Registration- Kanye West
3. Arular- MIA
4. Venus Loves Mars- The Brunettes
5. Illinoise- Sufjan Stevens
6. The Beekeeper- Tori Amos
7. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV- Coheed and Cambria(Dont care what you say it is great)

Cannot think of any other that are sticking out at the moment

....i hate to be a bitch, but it's supposed to be...

Enid: Oh my God. He just ordered a giant glass of milk!

Josh: That's a vanilla milkshake

Praise Ghost World

thanks moony
Old 10-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
But God and Christianity are major explicit presences in all of her songs, yes? Even if the gist of the song isn't simply "Ain't God grand"? And she still labels herself as a "Christian" artist? This still seems like an unnecessarily narrow template from which to write and perform. If she "looks at all the subject matter through the eyes of her faith," it seems like that could get a bit boring and repetitive after a while, especially when it's not just one artist but an entire "genre" of music built around this sort of thing. Certainly every artist has values and experiences which inform all of their work, but the point of art is to always be seeking out new things to say and new ways of looking at and thinking about the world. The idea of being a "Christian" musician seems to preclude that in a lot of ways.
I think you are missing the point here. Christianity is not something you "brush" aside just for the sake of making it "big". As a songwriter, who happens to be Christian (or should I say a Christian who happens to be a songwriter) myself I can speak about this through some knowledge. Once you give yourself over to being honest anything you say that is not honest you are like "who am I kidding, why even say it, why waste the oxygen?" To plumb the depths of your feelings, in light of the love of God is an amazing thing. It's like saying "God, you're ahead of me you are behind me...you know it all, all of the junk that I’m trying to get to the bottom of before I even say it...you know it ALL!" But having that guarantee that, when I get to the end of this process I know there is ONE who will stand beside me. If you don't believe there is a God, then why dig in?

I don't see it as being boring at all? How could the songwriting process be boring when you are completely giving yourself over to being honest about yourself? You can't change the way you see life, whether it's through your faith or not. For example...tell me what is wrong with this song written by Sara Groves? How would it be any different if say it were recorded by Sheryl Crow?

ROLL TO THE MIDDLE
Sara Groves

We just had a World War III here in our kitchen
We both thought the meanest things
And then we both said them
We shot at each other till we lost amunition

This is how I know our love
This is when I feel it’s power
Here in the absence of it
This is my darkest hour
When both of us are hunkered down
And waiting for the truce

All the complicated wars
They end pretty simple
Here when the lights go down
We roll to the middle

No matter how my pride resists
No matter how this wall feels true
No matter how I can’t be sure
That you’re gonna roll in too
No matter what, no matter what
I’m going to reach for you
Old 10-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
That's not at all what I said. There are PLENTY of other things to sing about, in addition to that. And, there's a way to do it without having to pigeonhole oneself as a "Christian" artist. Lots of very successful and respected artists have been able to infuse religious themes into more secular music: Eric Clapton, Bill Monroe, Johnny Cash, U2, Elvis, Loretta Lynn, Aretha Franklin, and the Staples Singers, to name but a very few. These artists are respected for their talents as all around singers/songwriters/musicians. Their religiosity was very present in their music, but it certainly didn't define their music. THAT'S the difference. The "Christian" performers are virtually unknown outside of the (Evangelical) Christian community, because there's really nothing interesting about these artists. They have absolutely nothing else to offer listeners. Furthermore, the way most execute their performances is bland at best and horrifically embarrassing at worst.
This just goes to show your utter lack of knowledge when it comes to Christian music. Take time to listen to a Sara Groves CD, and tell me it is "horrific" or "embarrassing". True there IS bad Contemporary Christian music, and sadly it sometimes gets more recognition than the better stuff.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:05 PM
DeadliestPoison
This message has been deleted by DeadliestPoison.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation SteveMacD

LMAO at your Chappelle's Show sig pic! I just watched that ep the other night and died laughing....all over again.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadliestPoison
Aimee Mann, 'The Forgotten Arm'
I cannot believe I forgot that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadliestPoison
Juliette & the Licks, 'You're Speaking My Language' (I'm bummed that I can't go to their show here next month. Stupid 21+ clubs.)
You poor thing. They put on one f*cking kick ass show. I can't wait for them to cut another album.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wreck Of The Day - Anna Nalick (this one I've been the most obsessed over, her voice is so pure and gorgeous. Absolutely fantastic.)

Waiting For The Sirens' Call - New Order

You Could Have It So Much Better -Franz Ferdinand

Playing The Angel - Depeche Mode (if their first single "Precious" is any reflection on the album, then I know I'll love it to death.)

Old 10-05-2005, 03:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Now, now

Quote:
This just goes to show your utter lack of knowledge when it comes to Christian music. Take time to listen to a Sara Groves CD, and tell me it is "horrific" or "embarrassing". True there IS bad Contemporary Christian music, and sadly it sometimes gets more recognition than the better stuff.

Remember the golden rule?
Can't discuss
sex-politics or religion without someone being either
offended, suspended or up-ended...remember...everyone has an opinion and it may not be yours

PLus, We like talking about the SOB club and Stevie's hair
We are talking deep intense issues here

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~

Last edited by eclipse; 10-05-2005 at 03:39 AM..
Old 10-05-2005, 03:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fav albulms of 2005

I am ashamed to say I have only purchased a few cd's this year-
and although I like some songs on some cd's . I haven't found one CD thast I like all the songs? Maybe it's just me...I have read others choices and I have some of those CD's and I loke some songs, i.e.

Tori Amos- Bee Keeper- I like Sleeps with Butterflies
Anna Nalick-Wreck of the Day- I like 2:00am Breathe
Madeline Peyroux-You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
and Coldplay...Chris Martin's voice is WAY toooo high for me, he makes Sting sound like a baritone! Don't know, I just can't get into that band...

So,
I really can't express that one particular CD is great! I'll keep checking your suggestions though, everybody...

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 10-05-2005, 04:31 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tracka...
You like Ray LaMontangue- Trouble is the song I'm thinking of...
and you are in London??

I didn't know that he was that well known... f
rom what I understand he is from a small town here in New Hampshire-USA, and is just starting to br heard in ,like, Boston...
(but hey- I could be wrong!)

~~eclipse~~
Old 10-05-2005, 06:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think you are missing the point here. Christianity is not something you "brush" aside just for the sake of making it "big".
I'm not sure what this has to do with anything I said. I don't think I meantioned anything about "making it big," or about "brushing aside" one's Christianity. As I noted elsewhere, there are a number of musicians I adore who are Christian who have written or recorded songs reflecting their religious beliefs.

Quote:
As a songwriter, who happens to be Christian (or should I say a Christian who happens to be a songwriter) myself I can speak about this through some knowledge. Once you give yourself over to being honest anything you say that is not honest you are like "who am I kidding, why even say it, why waste the oxygen?" To plumb the depths of your feelings, in light of the love of God is an amazing thing. It's like saying "God, you're ahead of me you are behind me...you know it all, all of the junk that I’m trying to get to the bottom of before I even say it...you know it ALL!" But having that guarantee that, when I get to the end of this process I know there is ONE who will stand beside me. If you don't believe there is a God, then why dig in?
Well, putting aside that last question, because I really doubt any of us wants to take this thread there, this still doesn't seem to have much to do with what I was talking about. Again, I certainly don't have anything against songs written from an overtly Christian perspective. It's the idea of a "genre" of "Christian" music that I find to be severely limiting.

Quote:
For example...tell me what is wrong with this song written by Sara Groves? How would it be any different if say it were recorded by Sheryl Crow?
Well, the lyrics aren't doing a whole lot for me, but written lyrics often don't. And a Sheryl Crow comparison isn't going to earn Ms. Groves any points with me, but as long as we're going to make this woman an example...

This doesn't look like a bad song, at least on paper. It also doesn't appear to be a religious song, at least any remotely overt way. So the question I find myself asking at this point is, if she writes "secular" songs like this, if she chooses to write about issues other than overt declarations of or meditations on her faith, then why does she label herself as a "Christian" artist? It's the existence of this "genre" that troubles me, and actually, I'm going to stop calling it a genre, because it's not one, it's a market. So why does she choose to restrict herself to this specific market? Why not attempt to expose other people outside the relatively small Christian culture that listens to "Christian" music to her art? Why do musicians like this find themselves to be so self-consciously Christian that they choose to label and pigeonhole themselves this way?

Again, there are simply dozens upon dozens of artists out there, and I think of more every minute, who are Christian and who write and/or perform religious songs, as well as writing and perofmring songs on other topics (as Ms. Groves seems to be doing here), but they don't label themselves as "Christian" and pigeonhole themselves into this very limiting, often bland and trite "genre"/market that separates itself almost entirely from the rest of the music industry and from most music fans. So why do other artists do this? What's the point?