User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I was just thinking that Sad Angel is probably going to be an awful, treacly song that sounds awful live. It's going to go right up there with Sweet Girl.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I think there's probably an at least 80% chance of doom. And please don't let them think of some creepy way to perform it together. You can't force these things people. Make it organic Linds.

Michele
lol. i really hope you are wrong but i find having low expectations can sometimes work wonders! or at least you might not be too disappointed.

see that might be a part of my problem with SG. i've heard lindsey's intro at the end of NGBA from soundstage which was a perfect setup for high expectations. then i watched that video but without any sound (bunch of people in the room listening to tv and no headphones handy ), while reading all the raving comments under the video on youtube. and then i finally heard the song and thought huh? that is what these people were raving about? what a dud. sinatra. iglesias. huh????? (even if not everybody hears it ).

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Maybe it will be really up-tempo and catchy.

Hoping for the best. With a title like that, what else can you do?
That's why I haven't written off Miss Fantasy yet. I hope it will be uptempo and am crossing fingers for the best. But I think Sad Angel is going to tie in to her mother as well, so I'm not thinking good things about that.

When I think of Lindsey ballads, Gone Too Far is the only one that absolutely grabs me. The idea that he was aiming for something specific with these new songs is what scares me. If they were just songs he had, I wouldn't think so much about it, but because he wrote them with a purpose in mind, I think they're going to stink. I don't think Say Goodbye is bad on the album. And I do like the two Goodbye songs ending SYW in general.

Michele
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When I think of Lindsey ballads, Gone Too Far is the only one that absolutely grabs me. The idea that he was aiming for something specific with these new songs is what scares me. If they were just songs he had, I wouldn't think so much about it, but because he wrote them with a purpose in mind, I think they're going to stink.
when you put it that way... yeah, scary.

Lindsey ballads. Gone Too Far is gorgeous . definitely on my list of requests. Walk A Thin Line is too, just the arrangement on Tusk sucks. it deserves a proper makeover.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
"Say Goodbye" is a very special song to my sister. I introduced it to her, she watched the Soundstage version on YouTube. I thought she would be touched by the SnL relationship and seeing their performance. But, to her it represents the passing of her 37 year old son to cancer. She still cries anytime she hears it.

It definitely has nothing to do with her like or dislike of Frank Sinatra, Aznavour, or Julio Iglesias...
Certainly, if you tie the song into something specific in your life it's going to change it for you. I think I feel that way about the entire Mirage album, taking it beyond the quality of the songs and into the personal memories they invoke for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
It definitely has nothing to do with her like or dislike of Frank Sinatra, Aznavour, or Julio Iglesias...
Oh, Sinatra wouldn't even record Say Goodbye. It wasn't his style at all. I'm proud to say he did record one of Sonny's songs: Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down).

Michele
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

As for being a shipper, I don't think that makes you like a song that is otherwise stultifying. You can imagine shipper content in any song written by Stevie or Lindsey. That doesn't mean half of those songs aren't dogs. You can be romantic without being deaf.
Michele
^^ Very well put!

Quote:
I was just thinking that Sad Angel is probably going to be an awful, treacly song that sounds awful live. It's going to go right up there with Sweet Girl.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I think there's probably an at least 80% chance of doom. And please don't let them think of some creepy way to perform it together. You can't force these things people. Make it organic Linds.

Michele
I love him dearly, but I think that's often the key thing that trips him up! Imo goes along with over producing songs - sometimes he needs to learn to let well enough alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
lol. i really hope you are wrong but i find having low expectations can sometimes work wonders! or at least you might not be too disappointed.
Yes! Set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed hehe

Quote:
That's why I haven't written off Miss Fantasy yet. I hope it will be uptempo and am crossing fingers for the best. But I think Sad Angel is going to tie in to her mother as well, so I'm not thinking good things about that.

Michele
I'm really nervous about Sad Angel too...I'm anxious to hear these two songs. You never know though, positive thinking! At the very least Miss Fantasy better be up tempo, they can't give us two sappy songs...
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As for being a shipper, I don't think that makes you like a song that is otherwise stultifying. You can imagine shipper content in any song written by Stevie or Lindsey. That doesn't mean half of those songs aren't dogs.
yup. as is SG (imo of course!).

Quote:
You can be romantic without being deaf.
of course you can. or you can be both. or neither.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

of course you can. or you can be both. or neither.
I don't know why you'd analyze why another person doesn't like a song anyway. If you want to break apart why you like or dislike something, I can understand getting to the root of that in your head. But I wouldn't try to analyze why you like a song. Aha, you're really into WATL: let me tell you why you like that.

Michele
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know why you'd analyze why another person doesn't like a song anyway. If you want to break apart why you like or dislike something, I can understand getting to the root of that in your head. But I wouldn't try to analyze why you like a song. Aha, you're really into WATL: let me tell you why you like that.

Michele
interesting! if i do that, i have to say that i don't know why, actually. in cases when someone states their personal opinion as the universal truth, i do feel the need to deconstruct where they are coming from.

i'd love to read your analysis of why i love WATL!

so you got me thinking about it now... why do i like WATL? good question. b/c i love the song, although i don't really like either version on extended Tusk CD - if i had my way i would make some kind of perfect combination of those 2 versions and get rid of tons of embellishments in arrangement that just distract from the beauty of that song. Deerhunter version is sublime, if only LB was singing on it. so i must love some version of WATL that i made up in my mind.

of course there was that snippet in Chicago Winery. that sounded like i imagined it would... beautiful even though it was haphazard and stripped down, with audience harmonizing.

also, when i first heard Tusk all the way through, WATL just hit me, and i had to listen to it 10 times in a row immediately. and then again. and again. for days in a row. i just couldn't believe this gem of a song existed for 30 years and i've never heard of it.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
also, when i first heard Tusk all the way through, WATL just hit me, and i had to listen to it 10 times in a row immediately. and then again. and again. for days in a row. i just couldn't believe this gem of a song existed for 30 years and i've never heard of it.
I used to listen to side four of the Tusk album to fall asleep to. I would just be dozing off when Tusk would jarr me awake momentarily. But then I'd casually drift back into dreamland and rarely ever got to hear Never Forget. Honey Hi, Beautiful Child and Walk A Thin Line were all such lullabies for me during those times. Eventually when I put the same collection on tape I replaced Tusk with Brown Eyes and those 5 songs were my sleeping pill.

That's the great thing about buying albums Elle, in that you will hear many gems that never saw the light of day on anyone's radio station.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Stand Back is grotesque live.
"Grotesque", that's the best word to define it. And FM live version is even worst than SN. I miss the power that song had live in 83.
Sara
Dreams
Gypsy
Second Hand News

Last edited by Zanobbi; 01-09-2013 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: wrong entry
Old 01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

FM is one of those bands where whether a song sounds good or not live depends almost entirely on the collective energy in a performance. Landslide sometimes sounds fantastic live, other times awful. The same can be said of Dreams, Go Your Own Way, or any number of their songs.

But, in general, the live versions of songs that often fail to spark for me on a playback include "Don't Stop," "Gypsy," "Say You Love Me" (as much as it hurts me to type that)--in other words, some of the big hits that sounded great in the studio but benefit from flawless vocals and sophisticated arrangements.

Then there are those songs that really hit during a live show but when heard played back might sound less, uh, wonderful. Consider the Mirage concert video performance of "Love in Store," which had the crowd riled up and where, instrumentally at least, the bad was cooking. But Christine's vocals there were pretty awful on the playback. I've thought that way about versions of "Stand Back" and "Go Your Own Way," too.

"Hold Me" has been mentioned above but I think the live version I heard of it was charming.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 01-09-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
FM is one of those bands where whether a song sounds good or not live depends almost entirely on the collective energy in a performance. Landslide sometimes sounds fantastic live, other times awful. The same can be said of Dreams, Go Your Own Way, or any number of their songs.

But, in general, the live versions of songs that often fail to spark for me on a playback include "Don't Stop," "Gypsy," "Say You Love Me" (as much as it hurts me to type that).
But I thought SYLM was a highlight of the Dance tour. Maybe because of the collective energy you mentioned.

Michele
Old 01-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Consider the Mirage concert video performance of "Love in Store," which had the crowd riled up and where, instrumentally at least, the bad was cooking. But Christine's vocals there were pretty awful on the playback.
So true! "Cooking" is the right word choice.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Stand Back is grotesque live.
mitzo, respectivelly we are all entitled to our opinions. I'm curious why you describe it as groteque.

IMO, it sounds nothing like it was originally intended in 83, but I don't find anything repulsive about it.

Surely, Stevie and Mick and millions of fans that love it live don't find it grotesque. If the band felt they couldn't pull off a decent version of it, it would have been dropped from the setlist by now.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Ledgie

Default Shorten these songs...

Shorten Not That Funny, World Turning, and I'm So Afraid.....cut those solos WAY down....and they would all work better in concert.

Dreams live never has gotten the moody, mysterious vibe that the recorded version has.