Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Robert “Waddy” Wachtel – Guitar on Stevie Nicks’ Edge of Seventeen

You’ve mastered your instrument with an equal mix of flair and robotic reliability, you’ve played with the greats, you’ve got ridiculous hair and a completely superfluous middle nickname, you’re ready to join the session musician Hall of Fame. Robert “Waddy” Wachtel has it all in abundance. With full flowing Anita Dobson perm, Wachtel lent his licks to many musical titans such as James Taylor and Keith Richards.

Drafted in to work on Stevie Nicks’ debut album Bella Donna, amidst rumours of an affair with Nicks the lucky boy, Wachtel found time to lay down the menacing pulsating riff on Nick’s most memorable track, Edge of Seventeen. Originally written as an ode to the passing of Nicks’ uncle and John Lennon, Wachtel’s guitar gives it an uncompromising urgency helping to elevate it into one of the greatest rock songs of all time.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/life/th...f-great-songs/
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Published: February 03, 2011 4:00 AM

There’s a great deal of enthusiasm when singer Maggie Davis talks about music. The word ‘awesome’ pops up frequently and she gets very excited when she brings up her musical idols like Janice Joplin, Led Zeppelin and Steve Nicks.

“I love music in general with a passion,” she said. “Its been in my blood ever since I can remember and I’ve been singing since I was a child so its just a natural thing for me now.”

Davis, 24, moved to Revelstoke last April and since then she has become a fixture in the town’s music scene, playing at open mic nights, jam sessions, street festivals and more both solo and with her band Highway One.

Despite her relative youth, Davis has been performing for most her life. Born in the tiny town of Lynden, near Hamilton, Davis was taught to sing by her mother Linda, who she describes as “the star” of her hometown.

“She had us all singing when we were pretty tiny,” said Davis. One of the first songs she recalls singing was the campfire tune Gin Gan Goolie, mostly her repertoire back then was songs “that you could pronounce when you’re three, which isn’t a lot,” she said with a laugh during an interview at Sangha Bean.

Davis’s mother taught her how to sing harmonies and she kept singing throughout school, performing in musicals her mother put on. Meanwhile, she was exposed to the classic rock her parents would play (they were in a band together).

While at the University of Guelph, Davis picked up her guitar and started an open mic night at a bar called the Fat Duck (which led to a series of duck-themed posters, she said)

“One of the things that got me to play music was the open mic because if nobody showed up you were playing for three hours,” she said.

Then, last Fall she packed up her bags and brought her amazing vocal talents to B.C., stopping first in Golden before moving on to Revelstoke in order to join the band Highway One, which features John Baxter on drums, Warren Bourke on lead guitar and Dave Marfleet on bass. Davis sings lead vocals and also plays some guitar and tambourine.

The band was perfect for her classic rock sensibilities – she lists sixties and seventies legends such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Janice Joplin and Jimi Hendrix as her favorites.

“I’d never been a in a band before I started playing with these guys. It totally changed my life,” she said.

As far as singers, she cites Joplin, Joni Mitchell, and, with a lot of energy, Stevie Nicks.

“There’s this one note in Rhiannon that every time I sing it, I feel like I sound like Stevie Nicks,’ Davis said. “It’s the most exciting thing ever.”

http://www.bclocalnews.com/kootenay_...115032819.html
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Viv:

The bit about Waddy possibly having an affair with Stevie is as disturbing - visually - as this:
http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/46527/o_...ants_pics.html
Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustOrphan View Post
Viv:

The bit about Waddy possibly having an affair with Stevie is as disturbing - visually - as this:
http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/46527/o_...ants_pics.html
I've already seen this Rick. I'm sure my Sista of the Moon is terribly embarassed.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm thinking it's photoshopped. So easy to do. Or, if she just got off a plane, she easy could have spilled something and it was mostly dry, but high res photo picked up a hint of it and used the burn tool to naturally darken it.

She's too savvy for such an oversight.

MTO - which is just not a reputable - has an issue with her and so many others (women and gays).
Sad for a site owned and operated by a gay man.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustOrphan View Post
I'm thinking it's photoshopped. So easy to do. Or, if she just got off a plane, she easy could have spilled something and it was mostly dry, but high res photo picked up a hint of it and used the burn tool to naturally darken it.

She's too savvy for such an oversight.

MTO - which is just not a reputable - has an issue with her and so many others (women and gays).
Sad for a site owned and operated by a gay man.
It wasn't just this site that reported this. This photo has been on a sh&t load of blogs all week long. Whoever took the photo could have photoshopped this or it could be real. Who knows?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default from a dufus blogger

Stevie Nicks, the 62 year ancient American singer has finalized her come back in the music industry after nearly a decade when her last album was released. The “Dreams” singer has announced her new and overall seventh studio album “In Your Dreams” that will be released on May 3, 2011 and that she claims a new album with new material. She recently released the new single “Secret Like” from the new album. The song was originally recorded in 1970s and its demo version is still available online but the new version is slightly edited and different. Her new album is now available for pre-orders and customers who place preorder for the new CD will get access to the instant downloading of the new song.

The former member of the well-known band Fleetwood Mac announced the dates of her new tour “Heart & Soul Tour” on Monday. For the new tour she has teamed up with the pop co-star Rod Stewart and duo will kick start their tour later this spring. The new 4 weeks tour will cover more than a dozen American cities as well as some Canadian cities. Both 60 plus stars will perform songs from their previous hit albums while Nicks will also include songs from her new upcoming album. The first public on-sale of the tickets has gone open today on Friday, January 21.

Nicks who has sold over 140 million albums will debut her collaborative tour on March 20 at the Bank Atlantic Center in Fort Lauderdale, FL and their major concerts will be on March 26 at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY; March 30 at TD Garden in Boston, MD; and April 9 at United Center in Chicago, IL. The most anticipated spring tour of 2011 will also hit some other cities including Tampa, Atlanta, Uncasville, Philadelphia, Detroit, Phoenix and Los Angles. Their international stops are at the Bell Centre in Montreal, QC on April 1 and at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Canada on April 2. They will lit up the stage of the Football Club of Norwich City in UK on June 8 and will wrap up the tour at Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA on April 16, 2011.

There is not confirmed news from either of the stars if they will share the stage together in any of the touring cities for a one of two songs though both stars appreciate the thoughts of duet.

http://nfl-blog.org/b/?p=13553
Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

Interesting that Stevie is "ancient," while Rod, who is 66 years old, doesn't get the same label. Perhaps the comment is in tribute to the "ancient queen" phrase of Gold Dust Woman.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ready... Cassette... Go!

According to the New York Times, which is never wrong except when its reporters just kind of make crazy **** up, no 2011 model-year vehicle is offers a cassette option. Humorously enough, the absolute last vehicle to ever offer a tape deck was the 2010 Lexus SC-430, a two-door convertible that retailed new for $68,405. I don't know how your brain operates, but mine finds it extremely difficult to fathom an image of a Lexus SC-430 buyer sitting in the dealership ticking over the options (18-inch Machined Tourmaline Wheel/Tire upgrade, for example) with the tip of his gold-plated Parker pen and saying,

"Oh, yeah, and, by the way-- throw in that tape-deck, too. I've got some great Weird Al tapes left over in the glovebox of my mistresses' Audi R8."

Be that as it may, reading this article made me rather nostalgic for my first car which, of course, had a tape-deck, and I was actually fortunate that it did. My 1990 Ford Crown Victoria was a retired police car. As such, many police cars are manufactured with a radio-delete option which, as you might suspect, deletes the radio, leaving a very unfortunate space where the car's radio would have been. The reason being is that police commanders could then be sure that their officers weren't cruising the streets of America listening to Stevie Wonder or, maybe worse, Stevie Nicks when they should be listening to, you know, their police radio. Plus, the temptation to play Ray Charles's "Busted" whilst driving criminals to the local lockup would just be too tempting for some badge-jockeys.

http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com/2...ssette-go.html
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If you're blogging or writing online to make money, then "hits" may matter in terms of advertising revenue. But they have no real relevance. At a dinner party C.I. threw Saturday, a music producer and an actress got into a lively conversation about just this topic and used Stevie Nicks as their example. In the seventies and eighties, few rockers were trashed by critics and music writers more than Stevie Nicks who was regularly mocked as "a space cadet" and far worse. Those articles and album and concert reviews were read by millions. Writing with a smaller audience were those celebrating the unique artistry of Stevie. As the 90s drew to a close, who had won out? Not the most widely read, not the accepted narrative. It was the smaller writers, writing passionately and factually that changed the tide and led to the critical reappraisal of Stevie.

That was before the dominance of the web and that's the kind of power that you'd assume independent writers online would be going for: Tackling false (and often sexist) narratives and refuting them.

http://thirdestatesundayreview.blogs...onfluence.html
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie might get bopped on the head

By Inside Track
Monday, February 7, 2011 - Added 11 hours ago

That rocker and uber soccer fan Rod Stewart has requested 48 soccer balls for his March 30 concert at TD Garden with Stevie Nicks. Rod, a huge Celtic United fan, apparently enjoys kicking the balls into the audience during his show. So Andrew Mather, whose boss, Comedy Connection czar Bill Blumenreich is promoting the concert, schlepped over to Modell’s in Medford to fill Rod’s tall order. BTW, tickets for the show are on sale now.

http://www.bostonherald.com/track/in...&position=also
Old 02-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
If you're blogging or writing online to make money, then "hits" may matter in terms of advertising revenue. But they have no real relevance. At a dinner party C.I. threw Saturday, a music producer and an actress got into a lively conversation about just this topic and used Stevie Nicks as their example. In the seventies and eighties, few rockers were trashed by critics and music writers more than Stevie Nicks who was regularly mocked as "a space cadet" and far worse. Those articles and album and concert reviews were read by millions. Writing with a smaller audience were those celebrating the unique artistry of Stevie. As the 90s drew to a close, who had won out? Not the most widely read, not the accepted narrative. It was the smaller writers, writing passionately and factually that changed the tide and led to the critical reappraisal of Stevie.

That was before the dominance of the web and that's the kind of power that you'd assume independent writers online would be going for: Tackling false (and often sexist) narratives and refuting them.

http://thirdestatesundayreview.blogs...onfluence.html
This really resonates with me. As someone who was a young teenage fan of Stevie's in the early 80's, nothing use to burn me or bum me out than all of the endless trashing of Stevie. Meanwhile Pat Benatar or Tina Turner could do no wrong. I'm so glad that Stevie finally got her due praise in the late 90's through TISL. Especially over Pat - don't get me wrong I love Pat, but do not think she had an ounce of the creativity or originality that Stevie exuded, but she did have a killer voice, but so did Stevie in a different way. Anyway this blog illustrates exactly why Stevie resonated with many outsiders (sorta like Lady Gaga today) and more importantly why she did not win her deserved solo Grammy awards in the 80's!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Alfred Soto: I may be the only person born in 1974 with no fond memories of Nu Shooz’s “I Can’t Wait” (I prefer Stevie Nicks’ own walloping “I Can’t Wait” from the same season). But I’ve wondered a few times over the years why no enterprising hip-hop deejay didn’t sample it. Mann is the least interesting element in this tubthumper, though, while Fiddy is as incongruous as a fart in formal dress.

http://www.thesinglesjukebox.com/
Old 02-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I feel sorry for her

I also snapped at my mom and aunt last night because I found out they're going to see Rod Stewart and Stevie Nicks and they didn't even ask me if I wanted to go, even though they know I'm obsessed with Stevie. I really didn't mean to be such a brat and I felt horrible afterward, but at the same time, I was just like, why am I so forgettable, you know? You're going to see your daughter/niece's favorite singer and you don't ask her if she'd like to come along? Neither one of them thought of me when they saw Stevie's name? I would've paid for my own ticket.
I don't even know.

http://charmedgirl87.livejournal.com/284576.html
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Her 1st time hearing Edge of 17

Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Stevie Nicks
I, like everyone else who is remotely interested in music in England, watched the Fleetwood Mac docu on BBC last week. Amazing! of course there are all the Fleetwood Mac greats, but I never knew that Stevie Nicks did this also (Destiny's Child used the riff), I've not stopped listening to it since.

http://butterflyrebel.blogspot.com/2...vie-nicks.html