The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bucket lists - ThinnerTimes - Gastric Bypass Forum, Lap Band Forum ...
By rappaport
2. See Fleetwood Mac in concert - accomplished this last year. I just love Stevie Nicks and paid a ginormous amount of money to get 2nd row seats right in front of her. They did not disappoint and neither did Stevie. ...
ThinnerTimes - Gastric Bypass... - http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/
Old 03-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ive been a bit under the weather lately, so my music has stagnated a bit. And while I will be getting back into things this week, I just couldnt leave you with no music for this sunny (in LA) Monday!

Right now Im going to tell you a secret: Im a huge Mac fan. I try not to let it out, but it finds its way. I have several copies of most of their albums, going all the way back to 1968. I have a DVD of many of their live performances. Ive seen almost every Mac video on Youtube. This performance of Rhiannon in 1977 on Midnight Special remains my favorite of all time. Of any band. In any lifetime. It also gets extra points for killer Stevie hair. Best. Hair. Ever.

http://evermoresoap.blogspot.com/201...wood-macs.html
Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Official Site of Aries Road» Blog Archive » IndieMusicDigest ...
By Aries Road
In this song in particular, it feels like she's channeling Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac, and that this is a song that had been locked away in Fleetwood's vaults, just now being released to the public. ...
The Official Site of Aries Road - http://ariesroad.com/
Old 03-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Press play and you could be forgiven for thinking you’ve mixed up your records, for the first thing you hear is Fleetwood Mac – the floating intro from Little Lies opens the title track. It’s a bold statement of intent, heralding an album where the sounds of the 70s and 80s, from Hall & Oates melodies to Motown, are honoured guests.

In the main, it works. The Beatles, a blissful disco anthem that high-fives funk, is worth the cover price alone, while the opener’s mélange of Electronic’s twinkling keyboard riffs and Groove Armada basslines is lushly offset by its ‘Mac borrowings. Take Us Apart, with its buoyant multi-layered synths, is a glorious nostalgia fest, evoking all those Giorgio Moroder-penned Brat Pack movie soundtracks (shame the lyrics do, too). Criss Cross, on the other hand, is a great three-minute pop song – but it lasts for over seven.

Liquid Love is undoubtedly impressive, well-honed and slickly produced, and it’s shot through with a glowing joie de vivre. But it’s too smoothed and tidied. We don’t need unhinged fervour and barking fury all the time, but a little contained chaos here and there – a little of their erstwhile noise – and it would be an album to fall head over heels with.

http://www.recordreviewer.com/2010/0...quid-love.html
Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

TAD's Back-Up Plan: Mixin' it up
By tad
The couple I assembled the tape 4 weren't big fans of loudness (I knew their least-faverite track on FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE was "I'm So Afraid," they thot it was noise & I couldn't convince them that those guitar fireworks had a purpose ...
TAD's Back-Up Plan - http://tadsbackupplan.blogspot.com/
Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Aquarium Drunkard » Drive-By Truckers :: The Big To-Do
By Satisfied '75
Shonna Tucker's two songs betray a penchant for Fleetwood Mac, whether it's the Christine McVie-esque “You Got Another” or the the pounding “(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So.” Both songs are solid contributions and continue to prove her ...
Aquarium Drunkard - http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac Rumours
A massive selling album that sold to everyone who bought into the soap opera of Fleetwood Mac’s internal politics and inter-group break-ups/make outs. This album blasted out of cars in the suburbs in ’77. What’s interesting is that at exactly the same time, Heart were going through exactly the same drama with inter-group dating, control issues, and kicking people out of the band. You never hear anything about that, however, because it wasn’t weaved into the PR narrative of their band. Fleetwood Mac actually capitalized on the tabloid style to publicize Rumours long before it was a multi-million dollar magazine industry for, you got it, ladies of the suburbs.

http://blog.mtvmusic.com/2010/03/24/...k-the-suburbs/
Old 03-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I don't hear it

Scuba Diving, Rosin Wreck, Wilmington NC | Scuba Diving Locations
By admin
The drumming I use is from the beginning of song “Tusk” by Fleetwood Mac~ Mick Fleetwood learned it whilst in Africa from some tribe. It really works. Awesome photography, the visibility is way good. Dang, like pro. ...
Scuba Diving Locations - http://www.diveblueplanet.com/
Old 03-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sam’s Critique Corner: Fleetwood Mac “Tusk”

Tusk
As documented on the utterly massive, classic hit album Rumours, Fleetwood Mac’s inter-member relations broke down when the two couples of the group broke up just before recording their finest accomplishment on record, resulting in a theme of turmoil, anxiety & frustration tying its often paranoid songs together. On its sprawling double-LP follow-up Tusk, things were not just broken between the band members, but completely crazy and all over the place; they were still going through the tough experiences that gave rise to the songs on Rumours and dealing with utterly monumental, unheard-of commercial success, as well as life on the road that exacerbated the tension. It sounds like the gleaming, melodic California pop of 1975’s self-titled rebirth of the band and Rumours, albeit filtered through a drugged-out perceptive lens and totally warped into a weird piece of confessional, soul-baring and weary pop art. This is the cocaine-addled sound of the perennial 70’s soft rock FM radio stars at the tail-end of the decadent 1970’s, with the double-LP’s release coming with no mere coincidence in the final months of 1979. Weird as it may be, however, Tusk contains some of Fleetwood Mac’s finest songs, such as the angelic Stevie Nicks serenade “Sara”, the frenzied & weird title track, the gleaming “Think About Me”, the goofy folk-rock of “Save Me a Place” and a myriad of other, if lesser and weirder, cuts that make it the sprawling double-LP that it needs to be to retain its power and effectiveness as a listening experience. As an unfortunate yet inevitable result of its quirkiness & unstable musical fabric, Tusk bombed in comparison to its two hit predecessors (although “Sara” did deservedly get a good amount of attention, especially after a lawsuit from an unknown singer-songwriter who unsuccessfully claimed that she’d penned it rather than any Mac member). Either the public was still feasting on the charms of Rumours, a situation facing many other monumental LPs like Thriller (whose popularity usurped that of Rumours, and whose follow-up wasn’t delivered until five years after its release), or Tusk was just too weird & bizarre for the tastes of a mainstream at the dawn of punk & new wave (acknowledged to some extent here by the sparse, minimalistic home recording style on the part of Lindsey Buckingham). But no matter what the mainstream thought of it, there’s no denying that despite being a tiny bit less exceptional than its predecessor, Tusk is a mystifying, rich listen that fills the mind with images of their turmoil & all the tension going on at the time of its recording. The band never was this crazy before and haven’t been since, and they weren’t as good as at this peak ever again.

1.Release Date: 1979
2.Rating: 5 Stars
TRACK PICKS: “Think About Me”; “Save Me a Place”; “Sara”; “What Makes You Think You’re the One”; “That’s Enough for Me”; “Tusk”

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 24th, 2010 at 7:10 pm and is filed under Sam's Critique Corner. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

http://www.coolpowers.com/sam/?p=2471
Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thursday, March 25, 2010
Fleetwood Mac "Tusk" memories

October 15, 1979. It was a Tuesday, and I was a senior in high school in Knoxville, Tennessee. I should have been running in a cross-country meet, but I had quit the team a few weeks earlier for various reasons, not the least of which was so I could play basketball again instead. At any rate, I was a Fleetwood Mac fan, and this was the day that their new album "Tusk" was to be released. Their last album, "Rumours," had been released during my 9th grade year and had conquered the world, so there was rampant excitement and expectation swirling in anticipation of this new DOUBLE album, basically 3 years in the making! The local album rock station had played the album in its entirety the day before, but I missed out on the whole preview except for the last song "Never Forget - " a little piano ditty by Christine McVie that was definitely "Rumours-"like. So, on my way to the high school football game that night, I stopped in a record store near Suburban Center and bought "Tusk." At halftime of the football game, me and a friend went out to my car to open it up and look at the inner-sleeve stuff - liner notes/photos. No liner notes. No lyrics. Just a weird photo montage on every side of the sleeves. But what REALLY struck us the most was....what the hell happened to Lindsey Buckingham?! Did he quit the band? Who was this new clean-cut looking dude in the pictures? After a few seconds we realized it WAS Lindsey Buckingham after all, shorn of his big, moppy, fro-like locks. He looked like Jamie Mitchell now, who was a friend of ours at school. Crazy. So...after the game...in my room....under the headphones I went. Always my favorite thing about music in those days....sitting down comfortably....breaking the album open....carefully putting it on the turntable...and then waiting....waiting to hear, like a gold miner or gambler or speculator, if there was going to be anything on this album that would be breath-taking, historic, life-changing, beautiful. You just don't get that with cd's in the 21st century for a number of reasons which we will save for another time. The album began with this slow, torchy, sort of bluesy song by Christine McVie, "Over and Over." Nice enough, but hardly an album opener! But then came the 2nd song, "The Ledge," a sort of punky ramble with a lot of echo (it was mainly recorded in Lindsey Buckingham's bathroom), Lindsey and Stevie sort of sharing back and forth. And the next 2 songs on side 2 were more of the same - not radio-friendly, sort of experimental songs by Lindsey. I liked it well enough, but it wasn't Rumours! But then came the last song on the first side...Stevie Nicks' first song on the album...the haunting, lovely, lther-worldly "Sara." I think I played it 3 or 4 times in a row. So amazing. Long story short...I liked "Tusk" a lot, but, being a conservative kid by nature (non-experimental, pop addicted), I was a tad disappointed for a number of years with this album. But, since the late 80's or so, it has not only been my favorite Fleetwood Mac album, I believe it's one of the great albums of all-time. If you skip over all of the Christine McVie songs, it's even better! Buckingham-Nicks at their creative peak. It was all downhill after this for Fleetwood Mac, although Lindsey's songs are great on every album. Or, al least interesting. If you have never checked out "Tusk," but it today!

Posted by Bryan Bond at 7:08 AM

http://musicoasis23.blogspot.com/201...-memories.html
Old 03-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Friday, March 26, 2010

It's been a long, long day (but not in a bad way), and it's time to relax with some smooth music. I used to deride the genre, but I have recently developed a love of Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, and other affiliated artists. Yep, I'm getting old.

Cranky Bear has the right idea when it comes to listening to Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. Some of the less famous tracks, like "Honey Hi," "Beautiful Child," and "That's All for Everyone" have made it into my heavy rotation. The Camper Van Beethoven cover album is worth a listen too, even if it ain't all that smooth.

I also recently picked up the Mac's 1975 self-titled album on vinyl, and have been enjoying "Rhiannon"'s slinky ways.

http://amusedanddisgusted.blogspot.c...-tell-you.html
Old 03-28-2010, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac- Go Your Own Way | BossBlogster Techno-Geek
By admin
250,000 VIEWS!!! Thanks everyone!!! this song is not live..a lot of videos that i found of this song were performed live..and im.
BossBlogster Techno-Geek - http://bossblogster.com/
Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Top 5 BEST Moments of SXSW 2010 > MTV Iggy Blog > MTV Iggy ...
By MTV Iggy
He instead stepped straight off Fleetwood Mac's Rumors album cover. Seriously, this dude was a dead ringer for a late 1970's Mick Fleetwood with the long hair, nicely groomed beard and mustache, bright white dinner coat, black pants, ...
MTV Iggy Blog - http://blog.mtviggy.com/
Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default You say you're a huge fan, then spell his name right!!!!

***Note: today is an interesting day and I should probably buy a lottery ticket. You see, in my travels, I had a celebrity sighting! Lyndsay Buckingham…one of the coolest male singers from the 70’s & 80’s and front man for Fleetwood Mac, now turned solo, was in LAX and was on my flight! (I’m a HUGE Fleetwood Mac fan and only know all the words to all their songs) soooo, after not asking him for his autograph and shyly going about my travels, I show up here at this steakhouse. I open the wine list and holy crap…a Chardonnay from Lake County, CA made by Mick Fleetwood (the guy that started the whole Fleetwood Mac empire) is on the menu!!! Are you freaking out right now? Cuz I sure was! I didn’t even know he made wine! Yup, lottery tickets are my next stop…wait, I’m in Utah, they don’t have those here, huh? Damn!

http://www.anniecooks.com/?p=269
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The best dancemusic in the mix: Back In Time Remixes
By bruto
Cher - We All Sleep Alone (DJ Rico Mix) Dire Straits vs. Deep Dish - Flashing For Money (Sultan Club Mix) Fleetwood Mac - Gold Dust Woman (DJ Tim A. Draft Club Mix) INXS - Never Tear Us Apart (Jakob Carrison Mix) Variable Bitrate ...
The best dancemusic in the mix - http://dancemusicinthemix.blogspot.com/