User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Yes, she definitely did that. But as far as trying to make a point, or sway anyone to her opinion, or have any validity to her claim about Iraq, that sentence is a huge embarrassment.
It's a quote...not an article or book. Now those are supposed to "sway", quotes are just funny!
Old 09-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
She is not expressing humor. She is concluding that Iraq is going well because Ted kennedy killed some girl 40 or so years ago. She is using peoples hatred of Ted Kennedy to obscure the travesty in Iraq which she cannot admit. Finally, people will read this and think what she is saying is 100 true, which it is not. So, this is not just innocent humor. It is a clever political ploy to push up W and his failed policies.
Perhaps you are right, maybe I should change the quote in MY signature...maybe a quote for a liberal.

There...that's better!
Old 09-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Howard Dean's on Ed Shultz now.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Perhaps you are right, maybe I should change the quote in MY signature...maybe a quote for a liberal.

There...that's better!
Bill Maher is hardly a liberal

And - in case you did not realize it, his quote that you posted is insulting to Ann Coulter not flattering In other words, he is saying she is wrong and too stupid and/or stubborn to admit it

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bill Maher is hardly a liberal

And - in case you did not realize it, his quote that you posted is insulting to Ann Coulter not flattering In other words, he is saying she is wrong and too stupid and/or stubborn to admit it
No actually they are really good friends and he admires her for sticking to her guns. What part of "love" and "refreshing" do you find insulting.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No actually they are really good friends and he admires her for sticking to her guns.
No, he is saying that when she is wrong, she refuses to admit. I mean please explain to me how it is a good thing to be factually incorrect and then sit there and insist you are not. Maybe she should do White House briefings becuase SM could have used some help yesterday and that was exactly what he was doing a la Bagdad Bob "we are not under attack and we are winning against the infidels"

also, he is using "love" and "refreshing" in a sarcastic way. he is not being serious. He is using self-deprecating humor to insult her.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, he is saying that when she is wrong, she refuses to admit. I mean please explain to me how it is a good thing to be factually incorrect and then sit there and insist you are not. Maybe she should do White House briefings becuase SM could have used some help yesterday and that was exactly what he was doing a la Bagdad Bob "we are not under attack and we are winning against the infidels"

also, he is using "love" and "refreshing" in a sarcastic way. he is not being serious. He is using self-deprecating humor to insult her.
No, he is saying that although he find most of what she says "outrageous" (which I'm thinkful for...because most of his views are the extreme opposite) he admires her for sticking to her guns...as he does.

And actually the quote is from a PRO-Ann documentary, in which he is interviewed...and he sticks up for Ann in the entire docu. He also told Jay Leno that she was one of the best dates he has ever had...as long as they don't talk about religion or politics.

Last edited by Brwn_eyes0511; 09-08-2005 at 02:41 PM..
Old 09-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Landrieu: Federal Government Failed To Protect American Lives

POSTED: 1:41 pm CDT September 8, 2005
UPDATED: 1:55 pm CDT September 8, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Mary Landrieu took to the Senate floor today to accuse the federal government of failing in its "greatest responsibility" -- protecting the lives of Americans after Hurricane Katrina left New Orleans flooded.

Landrieu, who lost her family home in the storm, was surrounded by Senate Democrats as she spoke for 30 minutes in the hushed chamber about her experiences over the past two week. Only one Republican, Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, was on the floor.

Landrieu joined her Republican colleague, Sen. David Vitter, in calling for a bipartisan response to the disaster.

But she led Senate Democrats today in proposing a broader aid package than the one Bush proposed.

It would largely bypass the Federal Emergency Management Agency and provide relief funds directly to disaster victims.

Vitter is in Louisiana today.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/4949614/detail.html

Old 09-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"You ain't gonna bust into heaven with no thousand dollar shoes on." this is a quote from a black woman about Condi's behavior while LA was in crisis. She said God looks at our actions, to help the least of us. But the quote above was the best part.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, he is saying that although he find most of what she says "outrageous" (which I'm thinkful for...because most of his views are the extreme opposite) he admires her for sticking to her guns...as he does.

And actually the quote is from a PRO-Ann documentary, in which he is interviewed...and he sticks up for Ann in the entire docu. He also told Jay Leno that she was one of the best dates he has ever had...as long as they don't talk about religion or politics.
No spin allowed.

Again, please explain to me how it is a good thing to be factually incorrect and then sit there and insist you are not.

BTW - a pro Ann doc. is a farce. The woman would not know the truth if it bit her, as untasty as that sounds.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No spin allowed.

Again, please explain to me how it is a good thing to be factually incorrect and then sit there and insist you are not.

BTW - a pro Ann doc. is a farce. The woman would not know the truth if it bit her, as untasty as that sounds.
He is saying nothing about her statements being "untrue" or not researching her "facts" (which say all you want about her...even NYT has commented about how well researched her writings are)...obviously he finds most of them to be outrageous (being Bill Maher and everything), the point that he was making is that she sticks to her guns, no matter what others may think, and he admires her for that and finds it very refreshing.

And if he is insulting her by saying this...then he is also insulting himself in the process. He said she was a version of his self, saying what she means, voicing her opinion...and then not taking any of it back.

Last edited by Brwn_eyes0511; 09-08-2005 at 02:53 PM..
Old 09-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He is saying nothing about her statements being "untrue" or not researching her "facts" (which say all you want about her...even NYT has commented about how well researched her writings are)...obviously he finds most of them to be outrageous (being Bill Maher and everything), the point that he was making is that she sticks to her guns, no matter what others may think, and he admires her for that and finds it very refreshing.
What do you think he means by outrageous You think he means she is outrageously truthful

For your edification:

outrageous.

1 a : exceeding the limits of what is usual b : not conventional or matter-of-fact : FANTASTIC
2 : VIOLENT, UNRESTRAINED
3 a : going beyond all standards of what is right or decent b : deficient in propriety or good taste

then - fanstastic

3 entries found for fantastic.
To select an entry, click on it.
fantastic[1,adjective]fantastic[2,noun]trip[1,verb]

Etymology: Middle English fantastic, fantastical, from Middle French & Late Latin; Middle French fantastique, from Late Latin phantasticus, from Greek phantastikos producing mental images, from phantazein to present to the mind

1 a : based on fantasy : not real b : conceived or seemingly conceived by unrestrained fancy c : so extreme as to challenge belief : UNBELIEVABLE; broadly : exceedingly large or great

2 : marked by extravagant fantasy or extreme individuality : ECCENTRIC

3 fantastic : EXCELLENT, SUPERLATIVE
- fan·tas·ti·cal·i·ty /(")fan-"tas-t&-'ka-l&-tE, f&n-/ noun

www.merriamwebster.com

Quote:
And if he is insulting her by saying this...then he is also insulting himself in the process. He said she was a version of his self, saying what she means, voicing her opinion...and then not taking any of it back.
That is why it is called sefl-deprecating humor

Old 09-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What do you think he means by outrageous You think he means she is outrageously truthful

For your edification:

outrageous.

1 a : exceeding the limits of what is usual b : not conventional or matter-of-fact : FANTASTIC
2 : VIOLENT, UNRESTRAINED
3 a : going beyond all standards of what is right or decent b : deficient in propriety or good taste

then - fanstastic

3 entries found for fantastic.
To select an entry, click on it.
fantastic[1,adjective]fantastic[2,noun]trip[1,verb]

Etymology: Middle English fantastic, fantastical, from Middle French & Late Latin; Middle French fantastique, from Late Latin phantasticus, from Greek phantastikos producing mental images, from phantazein to present to the mind

1 a : based on fantasy : not real b : conceived or seemingly conceived by unrestrained fancy c : so extreme as to challenge belief : UNBELIEVABLE; broadly : exceedingly large or great

2 : marked by extravagant fantasy or extreme individuality : ECCENTRIC

3 fantastic : EXCELLENT, SUPERLATIVE
- fan·tas·ti·cal·i·ty /(")fan-"tas-t&-'ka-l&-tE, f&n-/ noun

www.merriamwebster.com
You have trouble understanding simple things...I take it.

I already said OF COURSE HE THINKS WHAT SHE SAYS IS OUTRAGEOUS! He is Bill Maher! But the POINT of what he was saying was that he admires her for not backing down...even though HE finds most of what she says outrageous. Again, if his point was to insult then he would not have called her the right-wing version of himself, because then he would be calling most of what he says unfactual and lies.

I mean Jesus Christ, I watched the man say these words in an interview...I think I would know what his tone was...he was ADMIRING ANN and saying what he liked about her...he was very serious.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Someone told Cheney "go f*ck yourself" today. He said it twice.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
(which say all you want about her...even NYT has commented about how well researched her writings are)

Quote, please.