Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default March 15,2010

The man who brought Fleetwood Mac to Taranaki died suddenly at his home on Friday.

Garry Sharpe-Young, 45, events business development manager at the New Plymouth District Council died after suffering an aneurism.

The Taranaki Daily News understands council staff became concerned when they couldn't find Mr Sharpe-Young for a meeting and went to his home where they found him dead. The council later released a statement saying he died from an aneurism, or a burst artery.

His death cast a pall over the weekend for his council colleagues, many of whom were involved in organising Womad.

Mr Sharpe-Young is credited with bringing in top line international acts and revolutionising Taranaki as a leading events centre in New Zealand.

He joined the district council in September 2008 after two years at Venture Taranaki.

In both organisations he secured major events for the district including TSB Bowl performances by Sir Elton John, Jack Johnson, Fleetwood Mac, and Cliff Richard and the Shadows, as well as TSB Stadium concerts by Motorhead, the Beach Boys and Westlife.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...-dies-suddenly
Old 03-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
The man who brought Fleetwood Mac to Taranaki died suddenly at his home on Friday.

Garry Sharpe-Young, 45, events business development manager at the New Plymouth District Council died after suffering an aneurism.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...-dies-suddenly
Well, at least he got to meet Stevie Nicks before he died.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This was an article about RRHOF omissions and they talked about Dire Straits being left out:
http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...si#articleFull

10. Dire Straits (eligible since 2003)

Mark Knopfler is one of the three supreme finger-picking rock guitarists to emerge in the last 45 years (Robby Krieger of the Doors and Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac are the others). But it’s the songs - “Sultans of Swing,” “Money for Nothing,” etc., that make Dire Straits worthy.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Who is Taranaki?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Who is Taranaki?
Taranaki is a place . . . and a state of mind.

Michele
Old 03-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default March 15,2010

“Big Love” - Originally made as a contribution to an 80s cover project, I had to rescind the offer after the track began to take on a life of its own. Probably the most straightforward “disco” I’ve ever done. The track is really an ode to Arthur Russell framed through a Fleetwood Mac cover.

http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/...ontinent/17027
Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One of the things I have always loved about The Trews live shows is how they slip in random covers here and there, and this show was no different. There was a verse from Fleetwood Mac's "Second Hand News" in "Can't Stop Laughing". The chorus of "Waving Flag" by K'naan was in the middle of "Yearning", and they started "Tried of Waiting" with a few lines from "54-46 That's My Number" (originally from Toots & the Maytals, but oft-covered).

This was my fifth time seeing The Trews live, and which I don't think it was my favourite show of theirs, it is always enjoyable to see them live. I can't recommend them more if you have the chance to see them live... especially for free!

setlist:
Dark Highway, So She's Leaving, Not Ready To Go, Can't Stop Laughing (w/ Second Hand News by Fleetwood Mac), Paranoid Freak, Yearning (w/ Waving Flag by K'naan), Ishmael & Maggie, Poor Ol' Broken Hearted Me, Highway of Heroes, Fleeting Trust, Tired of Waiting (w/ 54-46 That's My Number by Toots & the Maytals), Hold Me In Your Arms.
[encore] Man of Two Minds, Sing Your Heart Out, Burning Wheels.

http://3amrevelations.blogspot.com/2...1410-even.html
Old 03-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Apparently I’ve only got five more minutes so I’m leaving the serious questions aside and I’m going for the fun questions. I always like asking about guilty pleasures. Are there any you keep to yourself but wanna share with me? They can be musically or food-wise etc. Whatever you choose.

Leon: most of my pleasures are guilty (laughs).
Amos: all my pleasures are out there! But at the moment all of us are – well it’s not really a guilty pleasure it’s A pleasure – playing silly, little games on our iPhones. Which is totally mundane and they’re really basic games but they’re all so addictive!
Leon: as far as music’s concerned the band (meaning Fanfarlo theirselves) is suddenly hugely into Fleetwood Mac. Fleetwood Mac seems to be the band that is cool. I remember having this Fleetwood Mac tape when I was about 12 or 13 when they were pretty uncool, I’m quite sure. But I was always listening to them and really enjoying it – being aware that it wasn’t a really cool thing to do.
Obviously, they just have great songs. Really cheesy but yeah, I don’t know if Fleetwood Mac would make for a guilty pleasure.
Amos: no, they’re not a guilty pleasure. It’s out there now.

It’s definitely out there now, I’ve got it on tape!

http://neonenlightenment.be/?p=5685
Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Daily Bootleg Links: Fleetwood Mac - Who’s The New Girl?

Fleetwood Mac
Who’s The New Girl?
Trodd Nossel Studios
Wallingford, CT, USA 1975
Download MP3@Viva Les Bootlegs

http://www.themidnightcafe.org/?p=2186
Old 03-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: FANFARLO ~ the WILD honey pie
By Drone
We do have a 7" record being released in April which will feature a reworked older song on the a-side and a cover of a song by our current obsession, Fleetwood Mac, on the b-side. the WILD honey pie: Thanks so much for answering my ...
the WILD honey pie - http://thewildhoneypie.blogspot.com/
They will do "What Makes You Think You're the One", apparently.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

3/16 Studio Update
March 17, 2010 · Leave a Comment
Hi everybody,

Chris and I got together for another long session Tuesday, one distinguished by our usual Papa Gino’s Cheese Pizza, a lot of great editing and mixing work on Chris’ part and the coining of a new slang term: “Fleetwood Mac”, as in “That vocal take was FLEETWOOD MAC.” (I am also trying to force “Lindsey Buckingham” to catch on, but that seems like an uphill battle at this point). I would say that we are really in the final stretch of overdubs and editing now.

http://lioncubband.wordpress.com/201...studio-update/
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Long Player: Barbs well hidden in chart-topping 'Rumours'

Home » Entertainment » Music
By Jeff Harford on Sat, 20 Mar 2010
Music | Long Player

In the age of the single download, Jeff Harford rediscovers the album...
Throughout 1976, the five members of Fleetwood Mac each rode a wave of private turmoil for the greater good. Rancour, grief and splintering relationships just had to be worked around; breaking up the band was unthinkable.

Convening for the sessions that would produce chart-busting album Rumours (1977), the group was riding high professionally but on shaky ground personally.

The previous year the Fleetwood Mac album had hit No 1 on the United States charts, but with the marriage of singer-keyboardist Christine McVie and bassist John McVie now ended due to the latter's heavy drinking, drummer Mick Fleetwood reeling from his wife's affair with his best friend, and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and singer Stevie Nicks fighting through the death throes of their fiery liaison, potential disaster loomed.

But the Mac beat the odds, harnessing the songwriting potential in the highly-charged atmosphere and stringing together a Grammy-winning slice of album-oriented rock that went on to dominate the playlist of every FM and AM pop music station in the Western world for a full year.

Heartfelt lyrics were the key, with Nicks, Buckingham and Christine McVie each taking a different philosophical approach to the dysfunction.

Nicks penned Dreams as a cautionary ode to Buckingham, urging him to take stock of what he had and was about to lose; Buckingham's riposte was the cynical Go Your Own Way, in which he trivialised the concerns of Nicks by proclaiming "shacking up is all you want to do".

McVie, meanwhile, had taken up with the band's lighting director and told him You Make Loving Fun, also writing Don't Stop in a surge of optimism that surely had to sting her unhappy ex.

Ironically, the album's mass appeal lay in the harmonies created by these three distinct voices, and in the warm and comfortable sound production. The rhythm section was strident, tribal and to the fore yet somehow blunted. Rumours' poisonous barbs and hooks were cleverly disguised.

http://www.odt.co.nz/entertainment/m...-039rumours039
Old 03-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I first asked him if he’d consider changing the name of Campbelltown to Campbellcity, to keep up with its newly crowned City status. he said it would be tabled at a meeting and used some large words I pretended not to understand. I then asked if he would consider changing the town slogan to “Campbeltown – Every Day’s The Seventies”. He told me that as a Fleetwood Mac fan, he quite liked that idea.

I then asked him to prove that he was actually a Fleetwood Mac fan (and not just trying to sound like he knew about music) by singing a Fleetwood Mac song. The amazing Michael, who had by now lowered the screen and hooked it up to Youtube, found the lyrics and video for Gypsy – and Mayor Azza and I sang a duet of Gypsy! The audience then promised they would vote for him in the next Mayoral elections.

http://www.adamhills.com.au/blog/?p=484
Old 03-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from an article on George Lamb, The Independent UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...io-991792.html

"Because I was on 6Music, people expected me to have an endless knowledge of the history of music," he explains. "But that's not my bag. I've got reasonable ears. I probably like Fleetwood Mac and Peter Gabriel too much, but there's a lot of snobbery around music. Fleetwood Mac is genius, Peter Gabriel is a genius, and some Hall and Oates tunes are unbelievable. And there's about 200 million people out there who'd agree with me."
Old 03-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Excerpt from an article on George Lamb, The Independent UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...io-991792.html

"Because I was on 6Music, people expected me to have an endless knowledge of the history of music," he explains. "But that's not my bag. I've got reasonable ears. I probably like Fleetwood Mac and Peter Gabriel too much, but there's a lot of snobbery around music. Fleetwood Mac is genius, Peter Gabriel is a genius, and some Hall and Oates tunes are unbelievable. And there's about 200 million people out there who'd agree with me."
It's good to hear another person say they like Fleetwood Mac And Hall and Oates!! My two favorites!!