User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rock Band 2
By admin
And the set list has too much oldies crap like Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller Band, etc… However, it does have some awesome bands like Disturbed, System Of A Down, Linkin Park and Paramore. I can't believe they have some old ...
E-BuyAll.US - http://www.e-buyall.us/
Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Listen: Chaperone « Consequence of Sound
By Joe Stahl
With inspirations that come from Fleetwood Mac to Broken Social Scene, how can you not be intrigued? They may not be polished enough for radio play, but there is something to admire here. The one self-released EP that Chaperone has ...
Consequence of Sound - http://consequenceofsound.net/
Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Chris Babbitt of Taking Dawn
March 2, 2010 by TWRY Staff

Drawing influences from the Rock Gods of the 80s and early 90s ,Taking Dawn has created their own collection of infectious, in your face, rebellious rockers with their debut album “Time To Burn” on Roadrunner Records. From the fist-pumping title track to their assaulting cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” Taking Dawn mixes shredding guitars (played by frontman Chris Babbitt and childhood compadre Mikey Cross) with heavy melodic choruses beckoning back to the days of old. Rounding out the band is Andrew Cushing on bass and Alan Doucette on drums.

There’s an interesting cover on the album, not one people might expect that edged out a possible cover of W.A.S.P.’s **** Like a Beast…what lead you down the path of Fleetwood Mac?

We’re still going to do **** Like a Beast, it just wasn’t the right timing. We wanted to do the W.A.S.P song because it had to be shelved in the 80s and I think it’s the best song on that album which I think is W.A.S.P’s best album. I think that W.A.S.P stands for a lot of in the 80s what music was misconstrued to be because it’s such a hard awesome catchy record that someone might disregard as glam because they don’t know any better but it’s nothing like that. At the same time it had balls that was enough to scare people of power so to speak so I thought it would be cool for our first release to feature that. We brought it up to our producer and he wasn’t too big on it which was weird because he loves all that kind of music. I wanted him to be into it and so we looked for different options and we considered Mirror, Mirror by Def Leppard (back when they were more Maiden sounding) which is kind of our sound – early Def leppard/ Skid Row/Motley Crue meets Guns n Roses/Metallica/Megadeth so it felt like that was the common ground. The record itself had so many elements of the big harmonies and the catchy, succinct songs that were still edgy and kind of metal but rock so we thought it would fit and complement the record but we thought, what’s the point of covering something that you sound like, unless you’re going to own it. So Mike suggested The Chain by Fleetwood Mac and we thought it would be fun because it was different and brought new elements to the table while still bringing the balls to it. We get to do to that song what Metallica did for Seger which was really cool. There’s no point covering a song unless you make it your own or make it better than the original.

http://theywillrockyou.com/2010/03/chris-babbitt-dawn/

Taking Dawn - Time To Burn: New Act Signed to Rock Label ...
Mike was rolling through songs and that is our favourite Fleetwood Mac song. We have the opportunity to do what Metallica did for 'Turn the Page' and make it our own while retaining the original audience." ...
Suite101: Rock Music Articles - http://rockmusic.suite101.com/
Old 03-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From an interview with Robby Grant.

http://www.gomemphis.com/news/2010/m...r-robby-grant/

Also, I listen to (online radio station) Dublab.com a lot, and there’s this mix on there that has some ’70s singer-songwriter stuff. And there’s this one tune by (Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks’ pre-Fleetwood Mac outfit) Buckingham-Nicks called “Long Distance Winter,” which I’ve kind of been obsessed with. I’ve been trying to get Mouserocket to cover it but I don’t think they think it’s that cool. (laughs)
Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Rock Band 2
By admin
And the set list has too much oldies crap like Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller Band, etc… However, it does have some awesome bands like Disturbed, System Of A Down, Linkin Park and Paramore. I can't believe they have some old ...
THIS is what's wrong with my generation. No musical taste. 'Nuff said.

Thanks for all the nuggets, Viv, Michele, keep 'em coming, I always read 'em!!

- Spike
Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
THIS is what's wrong with my generation. No musical taste. 'Nuff said.

Thanks for all the nuggets, Viv, Michele, keep 'em coming, I always read 'em!!

- Spike
Thank you for tuning in. You should contribute to this thread also.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Click on link to view the paintings
I hope it wasn't a Ledgie who painted these. They're terrible.

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM/FLEETWOOD MAC: ANATOMY OF A PAINTING
Just recently finished an acrylic painting for a commission, a huge fan of Lindsey Buckingham from the supergroup, Fleetwood Mac. I think just about everyone knows that The Mac Rumors albumn sold like 30-40 million copies to date. It was the #1 selling albumn of all time prior to Michael Jackson’s Thriller, and I believe it still holds that #2 spot! The Mac and especially Lindsey and Stevie Nicks are my favorite artists, so this was a special project for me.

I’d like to show you the progression of the painting, Ive never taken pics of my work throughout, so this was interesting for me as well. I used several photographs of him to get the look I was going for, which was mid career, 80’s Lindsey. This below is my initial starting point, pretty basic and trying to get basic features, face shape etc.

Next I got some basic skin tones, and then did the eyes, which always makes it or breaks it for me. Almost always I work for a couple hours, stand back, or walk away, then realize where I am careening off the mountain so to speak. Its a slow process with portraits, every little detail, crease, line, shape matters when it is supposed to resemble someone.

I realized here that the nose was ALL wrong, so it had to go! This is what I like about acrylics vs. oil or pastels, they dry quick and can be painted over and over. I also was in love with these eyes, but they were NOT Lindsey’s eyes at all. I stood back and saw John Travolta or Rob Lowe (ha ha) and guess what ….the eyes had to go after all that work!!! I had to really let go of the jitters here, relax into the moment and once I found that place of being immersed into the photos I was working with it started to happen. The thing I find is that the MORE you sit quietly with something the more you feel it, understand it , and in essance become it.

Next step, narrow those eyes up, make em smaller, less hair…”and in the web that is my own…I begin again”

The eyes made a huge difference, though the brows and shadows arent right yet. I also worked on the face shape, chin and hair to give it life. Once I started to see the resemblence, I actually felt a physical change in my body, a knowing…something that is the greatest of feelings!

The final face…shadow and highlites added. The background done in purples and greens (very 80’s) Select lyrics added.

You’ve come a LONG way baby! Now how bout you “Lay you down in the tall grass and let me do my stuffff!”

All in all a fun project, with some frustrating moments for sure, but a challenge. I am a meticulous painter, this probably took about 7 hrs over several days to complete.

Any commissions you may have for your favorite icon, musician, or a personal portrait of a loved one or pet….please visit my online store ( http://www.dreamalittledesigns.etsy.com) or comment here at my blog and leave your contact info, so we can discuss your needs and order.

This 16×20 portrait is $75.oo including shipping in the usa.

http://dreamalittledesigns.wordpress...of-a-painting/
Old 03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^I'd like a painting of the very lovely guitarist, but I don't think that looks too much like him. In a strange way, the outline looked more like him than the finished product.

Michele
Old 03-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

“Anymore, if you hear a song you like, tomorrow there’ll be 20 songs on the radio that sound just like it.”

Because of this, the great music that does exist cannot get a commercial (or “mainstream”) outlet, which is problem number two. Radio stations, around 1980-82, began what they called a “superstars format.” FM rock radio in the 70s was the land of experimentation. A dirty little secret here: the two most overplayed songs in FM rock history (Stairway to Freebird), were NEVER EVER released as “singles.” They were long and DJs put them on (along with other long songs like “Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding” by Elton John and “Loan Me a Dime” by Boz Scaggs) so they could go to the john and raid the station refrigerator. Then along came the Arbitron books and the aforementioned love of money. And their belief is that “everybody” wants to hear the EXACT SAME four Eagles songs (“Hotel California,” “Life in the Fast Lane,” “Desperado,” and “Take It Easy”), “everyone” wants to hear the EXACT SAME four Fleetwood Mac songs (“The Chain,” “Dreams,” “Rhiannon,” and “Go Your Own Way”), “everyone” wants to hear the EXACT SAME four Bob Seger songs (“Rock and Roll Never Forgets,” “Turn the Page,” “Night Moves,” and “Fire Lake”), etc. — AND that “everyone” wants to hear the EXACT SAME THIRTY ARTISTS (Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Seger, Journey, Styx, Zep, Beatles, Stones, AC/DC, Jefferson Airplane, Janis, Doors, Genesis, etc.), so you’ll keep listening if they keep playing the same songs and the same artists nonstop. I guess they never stopped to think that the reason all these people became so popular was that PEOPLE GOT THE CHANCE TO HEAR THEM. No such luck anymore.

http://rocktimemachine.com/blog/58/r...it-used-to-be/
Old 03-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For me a band that deserves to be on this list is Fleetwood Mac. While each of its’ members were known before combining their efforts, none were as successful as after joining Fleetwood Mac. While founding member Peter Green left the band the five members everyone remembers most are, Mick Fleetwood on drums and also one of the founding members of the band, my personal favorite Christine McVie on keyboards, vocals, and songwriter of some of the bands biggest hits like “You Make Loving Fun”, Over My Head”, and “say That You Love Me”, all that can still be heard on the radio today. Stevie Nicks whose vocals can be heard on “Rhianna” and “Dreams” can also still be heard on the radio. Bass guitar was played by John McVie who contributed with some fantastic bass riffs. Rounding out the band is Lindsey Buckingham playing electric guitar. On stage you never saw him use a fingerpick, he always used his fingers and fingernails to give us some of the most brilliant guitar solos ever.

http://www.guitar-packageguru.com/gu...on-supergoups/
Old 03-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Stevie Nicks whose vocals can be heard on “Rhianna” and “Dreams” can also still be heard on the radio.
Chris Brown's favorite song.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine's song Family Man: what an idiot

Ryan McPhun’s Indie Pop Outfit Goes Electro with New Record
Thursday, March 11, 2010

“Two Humans” especially sticks out to me as one of the more resonating — and possibly more “electro-sounding” — tracks on the album. How did it come about? It was Fleetwood Mac that gave me the initial [idea]. I’d been listening to Tango in the Night heaps, and some of Christine McVie’s tracks on that album resonated the most with me, [especially] the track “Family Man.” I wanted to make “Two Humans” a little bit more sparse and simple, while also making it build into something big at the end. It was a challenge.

Sea Lion drew a lot of comparisons to surf pop icons like the Beach Boys. Do you feel like you looked to any specific musical touchstones for Fight Softly? I suppose each song had a specific touchstone, indirectly or not, that created the impetus for it. Fleetwood Mac provided the initial inspiration for “Two Humans,” where as Phil Collins inspired parts of “Olympics on Pot,” etc.

http://www.independent.com/news/2010...ight-softlyem/
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Posted: March 11, 2010, 1:38 PM by NP Editor
Music, Canadian Music Week 2010, Name of Band:The Wilderness of Manitoba

Q: If you were going to book a CMW showcase, who, besides you, would be on it?
A: Crosby Stills and Nash and Fleetwood Mac.

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/b...fterparty.aspx
Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I made a New York playlist for my iPod. It looks like this:

1. New York, New York / Frank Sinatra
2. Native New Yorker / Odyssey
3. Empire State of Mind / Jay-Z featuring Alicia Keys
4. New York Groove / Hello
5. I Love New York / Madonna
6. New York City Boy / Pet Shop Boys
7. Empire State / Fleetwood Mac
8. Englishman In New York / Sting
9. The Boxer / Simon & Garfunkel
10. All the Critics Love U In New York / Prince
11. Across 110th Street / Bobby Womack
12. Take a Walk On the Wild Side / Lou Reed
13. Manhattan Skyline / from Saturday Night Fever [instrumental]
14. Angela (Theme from Taxi) [instrumental]
15. New York Is a Woman / Suzanne Vega
16. I Can't See New York / Tori Amos
17. The Only Living Boy In New York / Simon & Garfunkel
18. This City Never Sleeps / Eurythmics
19. The City / Fleetwood Mac

Amazingly, I had all but two of these songs already in my music library; I only had to purchase two of them: "New York, New York" (which, frankly, I feel would be a crime to be excluded from a playlist like this), and "Empire State of Mind." I don't generally like most modern rap, but I have to admit that this song does a great job of evoking a particular love for the city.

I deliberately organized it so that any more negative songs -- which I included mostly because I just happen to love the songs -- were closer to the end; that way the playlist kind of tells a story, from falling in love to ultimate disillusionment (not that I necessarily think disillusionment is inevitable). "I Can't See New York" is actually Tori Amos's perspective on the people who were riding in the planes that hit the World Trade Center. "The City" is an ode to then-Fleetwood-Mac-singer Bob Welch's hatred of New York ("There's something wrong New York / It's a prison without walls"), but I just really like the song. So I put it at the end.

Incidentally, "Empire State" was apparently Lindsey Buckingham's sort-of apology to New Yorkers who had been put off by the song "The City" eight years before.

I can imagine really enjoying listening to this playlist on my headphones while walking through the streets of Manhattan. Which I may just do one day, if I'm visiting when Shobhit is busy and I'm left to my own devices for much of the time I'm there.

I'm sort of using this music as a way to create positive associations with New York, in spite of my lack of desire to move there. I don't want to develop any resentment toward it. I'm hoping I can condition myself to romanticize it, which, in my case at least, I actually feel would be a good thing.

http://machupicchu.livejournal.com/1360209.html
Old 03-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sunday, March 14, 2010

About Me
Joon Oluchi Lee
I’m a girl who loves red lipstick... oh, sorry...I sometimes forget...I’m a boy who loves red lipstick, a boy who also loves to love boys. But I’m also a Korea-born, Midwest-bred, Virginia-groomed, Bay Area-harvested faggotte who is above all a black feminist.

A couple Saturdays ago, my partner-in-crime Trace made this observation as if she were welcoming an old friend: “You’re wearing your favorite shirt!” So I was: an original, circa mid-1970s tee-shirt in glorious beige emblazoned with the image of one of my favorite records, Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours. Or more accurately: so it seemed as though I were wearing my favorite shirt. In fact, I was wearing a copy of my favorite shirt. And when I say “copy,” I don’t mean “reproduction,” an icky knock-off with a computer-scanned image ink-jetted onto an American Apparel shirt. No, I mean a literal copy: I’ve been owning a 70s Rumours tee that I bought in Berkeley back in 1998, but the shirt I was wearing when hanging out with Trace was another 70s original that I recently bought on ebay by sheer dumb luck/ fated miracle. Yes, I possess two of the same old and used tee-shirt.

Hence the images below, which is actually not the same photo or even two photos of me in the same outfit but two different photos that look the same from afar. In the first photo, I’m wearing my first vintage Rumours shirt, the one bought in 1998. In the second, I’m wearing my new vintage Rumours shirt, bought 2010. Even though I do collect all kinds of Fleetwood Mac shirts, I love this specific model of shirt most of all because one, the image: the quasi-Victorian meets ballet meets sorcery: that’s me. Also, printed on beige, it’s roughly the tone of nude pantyhose. Wearing it, I feel chicly redundant, like I’m wearing my own skin over my own skin. The two shirts above are almost identical, save the idiosyncrasies of wear-and-tear of the decades. The Berkeley one was pretty worn when I bought it. It was already so soft from repeated wearing that for my “wild” twenties, it was my favorite shirt to wear on hangover Sundays: aaaahh the memory of sitting around watching old Joan Crawford movies eating pizza or Jack-in-the-Box while in a state of painful yet fuzzily comforting debilitation, snuggled against a solid sofa of a husband body, cocooned in a tee shirt that spoke to the unique alchemy of tee shirts: cotton can become silk through years of abuse. So now, having logged twelve years of wear on this war-torn body, it’s become almost transparent, the neckhole rib stretched beyond bounce.

The second copy of the shirt is in a weird condition. Textile-wise, it is in much better shape—the cotton is soft but not thin, not near translucence. Judging by the length of the torso, the crispness of the tell-tale 70s tag and the intense black of the silk screen, it was worn but hasn’t been washed and dried. It probably spent most of its life in storage. Yet it has strange black-edged holes all over that look like cigarette burns. And there is one particular hole that punctures the “O” in “Rumours” that Trace said is “shaped like a heart.” Weirdly, the hole goes all the way through the back of the shirt, as if someone really did put out a cigarette on the shirt while it was lying helpless on a table. The cigarette hole is, appropriately enough, on the left side, so the hole is literally over my heart. So when I wear it, I feel all cheesily romantic—like someone put a cigarette out on my heart. (Awwwwwww)

http://lipstickeater.blogspot.com/20...takes-two.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1143.JPG (28.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1140.JPG (28.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg lipstickeater masthead star80.JPG (68.6 KB, 5 views)