User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I too hope both Stevie and Lindsey can swallow their pride and that the Rumours 5 can come back together one last time. The incredible music they make together is bigger than personal conflicts, and re-establishing Fleetwood Mac's legacy is more important than whatever private gratification they get from holding grudges.

In the end, forgiveness is better for the heart than bitterness.

I think both Finn and Campbell know deep down that such a thing could happen, and they would be out if it did. Campbell even hinted at understanding this might not be a "forever" gig when he said that this was his priority "for now" or something like that in the CBS interview.

I think this could happen, once Stevie has done her grieving for Tom, she will get her perspective back, and see what a waste not to end their 43 year legacy on a right note.
And not this s***e that we have now.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I too hope both Stevie and Lindsey can swallow their pride and that the Rumours 5 can come back together one last time. The incredible music they make together is bigger than personal conflicts, and re-establishing Fleetwood Mac's legacy is more important than whatever private gratification they get from holding grudges.
I do think that, however much some of us may not want him to, Lindsey is very much in the mindset of legacy and reconciliation being more important than grudges. He has been seemingly in that mindset for a while, plus he’s known these people forever and while some of us may realize their misgivings and flaws just now, pretty sure he’s been aware of them forever, same as they’ve been of whatever his might be.

I would really hate for LB to waste any more time w FM if they’ll be in the time wasting state of mind they basically have been in since the Dance. I’d rather he uses the time he has much wiser and more productive. But I can’t do anything about it. And I do hope he takes as many opportunities as he can and was happy to hear him talk about that back at that fundraiser.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Ledgie

Default Hard to imagine a reunion & effect of Tom's death

Quote:
As much as I would like to believe in some kind of reunion, it’s hard for me to imagine them ever touring together again (maybe a one-off down the road). Not surprisingly, I think this is nearly all about the SN/LB dynamic (with Mick just the guy who prefers touring to real life, and does whatever to make that happen), and I think it has everything to do with a huge psychological aftershock stemming from the death of Tom Petty. More than ever before, they may really feel their mortality, feel fear, feel protective of the ‘time they have left.’ I know John had a scare, but has basically recovered. But the death of a close friend, who was their age (even a little younger) and who shared their lifestyle? That has to loom large, with at least two possible aftereffects:
First, it would seem natural that one might tend to circle the wagons and draw nearer to family and loved ones. Stevie, with no husband or children, might be naturally drawn to her ‘family’ – her songs and her bandmates. But LB’s situation is very different; he has a family of his own, and might not share that feeling; even though he was willing to tour with FM, it could be that he would turn a bit more inward, think on smaller-scale terms – wife, kids, small machine.
Second, it also would seem natural that one might decide to make the most of the time they have left to pursue exactly what makes them happy and fulfilled, and let nothing stand in the way.
So it seems that, unfortunately, SN and LB had different ideas about the latter. SN seemed to want to get on the road with her ‘family ‘and her music right away; that would make her most happy. LB, although I blv he cares a great deal about the band and its legacy, wanted to tour his solo music right away; that would make him most happy.
In the face of dissent between SN/LB about how to work this out – regardless of what those details were – it’s not hard to understand what could have happened. There was no way SN was going to ‘side against’ the band/her family or wait one minute longer than she had to to get on with the tour and music. On the other hand, there was no way Lindsey was going to ‘side with’ any plan that did not allow him space for his solo work, the thing that would make him the most happy right now. I’m sure this was not an easy spot for either of them to be in; I’m not on board with some of the demonization of the parties involved that I’ve read on this and other threads. In the past, these disagreements may have launched arguments, tears and drama, but it could be that Tom’s death caused them each to simply draw a line in the sand, and so something had to give.
Perhaps LB just felt he had no choice but to put his own scheduling desires first; there was no way he was going to compromise (again) for the band – not at the expense of doing what is important for him personally – his own music. Perhaps SN felt that she had no choice either – she wants the tour, now, and wants to keep close to her musical family.
I really do think that this is a significant, terminal split for them. Their relationship had devolved into just a musical/onstage one anyway of course, and with SN huddling with the others and bringing in Neil and Mike so quickly, she has even replaced LB as far as even that relationship, so what’s left? I mean, they never did get married, but with this, I think they finally, finally, got divorced; each one doing what they feel they need to do with their precious time.
It makes me listen to a lot of LB’s lyrics – even earlier lyrics – with fresh ears; some of them resonate in a totally new way, interestingly. Last, it makes me hopeful for whatever he is thinking when he talks about future opportunities – don’t get me wrong, I’m sad about the state of FM, but I’m making lemonade and really looking forward to new solo LB words and music – I want to hear what he has to say next-

(Sorry long post! I've been lurking a bit since the big news - should post more and lurk less )
Old 06-01-2018, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
As much as I would like to believe in some kind of reunion, it’s hard for me to imagine them ever touring together again (maybe a one-off down the road). Not surprisingly, I think this is nearly all about the SN/LB dynamic (with Mick just the guy who prefers touring to real life, and does whatever to make that happen), and I think it has everything to do with a huge psychological aftershock stemming from the death of Tom Petty. More than ever before, they may really feel their mortality, feel fear, feel protective of the ‘time they have left.’

First, it would seem natural that one might tend to circle the wagons and draw nearer to family and loved ones. Stevie, with no husband or children, might be naturally drawn to her ‘family’ – her songs and her bandmates. But LB’s situation is very different; he has a family of his own, and might not share that feeling; even though he was willing to tour with FM, it could be that he would turn a bit more inward, think on smaller-scale terms – wife, kids, small machine.
Second, it also would seem natural that one might decide to make the most of the time they have left to pursue exactly what makes them happy and fulfilled, and let nothing stand in the way.
So it seems that, unfortunately, SN and LB had different ideas about the latter. SN seemed to want to get on the road with her ‘family ‘and her music right away; that would make her most happy. LB, although I blv he cares a great deal about the band and its legacy, wanted to tour his solo music right away; that would make him most happy.
In the face of dissent between SN/LB about how to work this out – regardless of what those details were – it’s not hard to understand what could have happened. There was no way SN was going to ‘side against’ the band/her family or wait one minute longer than she had to to get on with the tour and music. On the other hand, there was no way Lindsey was going to ‘side with’ any plan that did not allow him space for his solo work, the thing that would make him the most happy right now. I’m sure this was not an easy spot for either of them to be in; I’m not on board with some of the demonization of the parties involved that I’ve read on this and other threads. In the past, these disagreements may have launched arguments, tears and drama, but it could be that Tom’s death caused them each to simply draw a line in the sand, and so something had to give.
Perhaps LB just felt he had no choice but to put his own scheduling desires first; there was no way he was going to compromise (again) for the band – not at the expense of doing what is important for him personally – his own music. Perhaps SN felt that she had no choice either – she wants the tour, now, and wants to keep close to her musical family.
I really do think that this is a significant, terminal split for them. Their relationship had devolved into just a musical/onstage one anyway of course, and with SN huddling with the others and bringing in Neil and Mike so quickly, she has even replaced LB as far as even that relationship, so what’s left? I mean, they never did get married, but with this, I think they finally, finally, got divorced; each one doing what they feel they need to do with their precious time.
It makes me listen to a lot of LB’s lyrics – even earlier lyrics – with fresh ears; some of them resonate in a totally new way, interestingly. Last, it makes me hopeful for whatever he is thinking when he talks about future opportunities – don’t get me wrong, I’m sad about the state of FM, but I’m making lemonade and really looking forward to new solo LB words and music – I want to hear what he has to say next-

(Sorry long post! I've been lurking a bit since the big news - should post more and lurk less )
I can't say I'm 100% sure they won't tour together ever again. But yes, I also believe this was/is ultimately all about Stevie and Lindsey.

They finally came to a point in their lives where they want totally different things and that must made Stevie extremely sad. I don't know if this was a "not siding against her family" thing, but more like a "searching for Lindsey's attention" thing.

And in the meantime, Lindsey, instead of paying attention, was focused on his solo album and tour. Stevie had a choice. Of course she had a choice. But when she couldn't get what she wanted from him, she flipped and threw an ultimatum to Mick.

We really don't know how many times this kind of disagreements took place between them during all this years, so I don't know if this divorce is final or not. It looks that way, but then you have Lindsey's wife liking tweets about how incomplete the band is without Lindsey instead of giving clues about his husband's solo tour. So I'm inclined to think his family wants a final farewell tour for Lindsey with the band. The thing is: does Stevie want him again in the band?
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I honestly don't buy that Tom's death had a lot to do with what went on in the band. It makes a good story after the fact, but I think whatever went down in NYC had everything to do with the decades-long sh&t between Stevie and Lindsey and Tom's death, in that moment of decision, had not a thing to do with it. I don't even think it was part of it in the sense that she might have taken a different perspective on things since his death.... because honestly ,the lesson to take from Tom's death is that there's MORE to life than just touring.

Touring, and the commitment to finish his tour at all costs, is what killed Tom. It's a noble idea, don't be weak, gotta finish the tour, think of the fans, etc. etc. , but in the end it's what led to his death. Even Stevie said so at Musicares... that Tom SHOULD have put himself in a hospital or whatever it took to take care of his hip that was giving him so much pain that he was taking all that medication. So if Tom's death taught her anything it should have taught her that relationships are what matter, that everyone's been touring FOREVER and missing a few shows or cutting a tour short is NOT A BIG DEAL IN THE BIGGER PICTURE OF LIFE. Tom had talked of wanting to finish this tour and just spend time with his granddaughter. Well now that isn't gonna happen, and that little girl isn't going to have all the experiences and great memories with her grandfather that she would have had.

The lesson to be taken from his death is that you can drop dead at any point and you should spend the time with those you love having fun. It seems that to her that means touring. Remember a few years ago when she was complaining that she hadn't spent anytime at home, and that she just wanted to get her little trailer up in Malibu and sit and watch the sunset on the water and hang with friends? What happened to that? She's so stuck in the grind of touring it's the only life she really knows anymore. I don't think she made her decision to issue an ultimatum about LB because she's in some deep grief about Tom, because the lesson to learn from Tom is that nothing matters more than the people you love-- not touring, not money, not business. He sacrificed his health for a tour, which ultimately cost him his life. The lesson is you can't take it with you. But she's gonna die trying apparently.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I can't say I'm 100% sure they won't tour together ever again. But yes, I also believe this was/is ultimately all about Stevie and Lindsey.

They finally came to a point in their lives where they want totally different things and that must made Stevie extremely sad. I don't know if this was a "not siding against her family" thing, but more like a "searching for Lindsey's attention" thing.

And in the meantime, Lindsey, instead of paying attention, was focused on his solo album and tour. Stevie had a choice. Of course she had a choice. But when she couldn't get what she wanted from him, she flipped and threw an ultimatum to Mick.

We really don't know how many times this kind of disagreements took place between them during all this years, so I don't know if this divorce is final or not. It looks that way, but then you have Lindsey's wife liking tweets about how incomplete the band is without Lindsey instead of giving clues about his husband's solo tour. So I'm inclined to think his family wants a final farewell tour for Lindsey with the band. The thing is: does Stevie want him again in the band?

I don't think Stevie was wanting his attention and he wasn't going to give it to her.

I don't get the impression that Lindsey's family is saying they want a final reunion farewell tour either.

I think Stevie doesn't want to compromise anymore. What was it Mick said to Lindsey during Tusk? "Well that's what being in a band is and maybe you should be in a band anymore".....someone should tell that to Stevie.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I honestly don't buy that Tom's death had a lot to do with what went on in the band. It makes a good story after the fact, but I think whatever went down in NYC had everything to do with the decades-long sh&t between Stevie and Lindsey and Tom's death, in that moment of decision, had not a thing to do with it. I don't even think it was part of it in the sense that she might have taken a different perspective on things since his death.... because honestly ,the lesson to take from Tom's death is that there's MORE to life than just touring.

Touring, and the commitment to finish his tour at all costs, is what killed Tom. It's a noble idea, don't be weak, gotta finish the tour, think of the fans, etc. etc. , but in the end it's what led to his death. Even Stevie said so at Musicares... that Tom SHOULD have put himself in a hospital or whatever it took to take care of his hip that was giving him so much pain that he was taking all that medication. So if Tom's death taught her anything it should have taught her that relationships are what matter, that everyone's been touring FOREVER and missing a few shows or cutting a tour short is NOT A BIG DEAL IN THE BIGGER PICTURE OF LIFE. Tom had talked of wanting to finish this tour and just spend time with his granddaughter. Well now that isn't gonna happen, and that little girl isn't going to have all the experiences and great memories with her grandfather that she would have had.

The lesson to be taken from his death is that you can drop dead at any point and you should spend the time with those you love having fun. It seems that to her that means touring. Remember a few years ago when she was complaining that she hadn't spent anytime at home, and that she just wanted to get her little trailer up in Malibu and sit and watch the sunset on the water and hang with friends? What happened to that? She's so stuck in the grind of touring it's the only life she really knows anymore. I don't think she made her decision to issue an ultimatum about LB because she's in some deep grief about Tom, because the lesson to learn from Tom is that nothing matters more than the people you love-- not touring, not money, not business. He sacrificed his health for a tour, which ultimately cost him his life. The lesson is you can't take it with you. But she's gonna die trying apparently.
I think Tom's death totally had to do with it, but not in the way that you're describing. I don't think it impacted anyone's attitudes towards touring, etc. I just think that his death messed with her head. It was very sudden and unexpected and she was and probably still is totally heartbroken about it. She's someone who doesn't handle grief very well and I just think it messed with her perspective on things. Like she said now she wants to dance around her room every morning and not have a care in the world, I think his death influenced that because it made her think she needs to live the rest of her life being as 'happy' as she can because, exactly like she said in her own words in that interview, if that could happen to Tom it could happen to anyone. And so she thinks that not having to deal with the hassle of her up/down battle of the wills with Lindsey will play a part in giving her that happiness which is why she felt the need to bring that up in the interview. But if I know a single thing about Stevie Nicks, I am sure that she's gonna get out of that headspace eventually and regardless of what you know/believe/think her role in this was, she's gonna feel a deep regret that she let this happen.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I think Tom's death totally had to do with it, but not in the way that you're describing. I don't think it impacted anyone's attitudes towards touring, etc. I just think that his death messed with her head. It was very sudden and unexpected and she was and probably still is totally heartbroken about it. She's someone who doesn't handle grief very well and I just think it messed with her perspective on things. Like she said now she wants to dance around her room every morning and not have a care in the world, I think his death influenced that because it made her think she needs to live the rest of her life being as 'happy' as she can because, exactly like she said in her own words in that interview, if that could happen to Tom it could happen to anyone. And so she thinks that not having to deal with the hassle of her up/down battle of the wills with Lindsey will play a part in giving her that happiness which is why she felt the need to bring that up in the interview. But if I know a single thing about Stevie Nicks, I am sure that she's gonna get out of that headspace eventually and regardless of what you know/believe/think her role in this was, she's gonna feel a deep regret that she let this happen.
Could also be the reason Lindsey is relatively quiet about the whole situation.
He also thinks it’s to do with her head being messed up, and knows she will regain her “composure”.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Listen to her speech at Musiccares. It was about Tom petty and hardly about Fleetwood Mac. She’s obsessed with being a heartbreak and already had her own great band.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
Listen to her speech at Musiccares. It was about Tom petty and hardly about Fleetwood Mac. She’s obsessed with being a heartbreak and already had her own great band.
At the time I thought her extended comments about Tom were a little too much but I gave her a pass cause I knew she was grieving. I fully expected her to say something about Tom but not spend the majority of her time talking about him. Plus she talked about him on her tour so I figured she was still in that story telling mode. Just my opinion but I think her grief addled mind contributed to the situation. That does not in any way excuse her behavior. First thing I thought of was her marrying Robin's husband.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
At the time I thought her extended comments about Tom were a little too much but I gave her a pass cause I knew she was grieving. I fully expected her to say something about Tom but not spend the majority of her time talking about him. Plus she talked about him on her tour so I figured she was still in that story telling mode. Just my opinion but I think her grief addled mind contributed to the situation. That does not in any way excuse her behavior. First thing I thought of was her marrying Robin's husband.
It only took a few months for her to realize marrying Kim Anderson was a mistake. I wonder how long it will be before she realizes that destroying her relationship with Lindsey and blowing apart the incomparable Rumours 5 was also a horrible mistake?

Old 06-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

With slow ticket sales she might already be there! Just speculation but my guess is she/they're hoping sales pick up closer to the start of the tour. If not......

If Stevie assumed her fans would follow blindly she was wrong. I've always been a Stevie fan but this is beyond the pale.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It only took a few months for her to realize marrying Kim Anderson was a mistake. I wonder how long it will be before she realizes that destroying her relationship with Lindsey and blowing apart the incomparable Rumours 5 was also a horrible mistake?
Have they/she been paying attention to ticket sales---this "farce" isn't catching on the way they hoped. Still early days but...Social media is a blessing and a curse. The "fans" know enough to be dangerous, and the press the band has done thus far isn't helping their cause........
Old 06-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She really thinks things through, doesn't she?
Old 06-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
Have they/she been paying attention to ticket sales---this "farce" isn't catching on the way they hoped. Still early days but...Social media is a blessing and a curse. The "fans" know enough to be dangerous, and the press the band has done thus far isn't helping their cause........
I'm sure they've caught on by now.
It's been weeks and the shows at the LA Forum are practically half empty. That NEVER happens, not at that venue.