User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly
I'm not denying she has a big heart. I just find it strange, that's all. Soldiers kill people, don't they? That's their job. Soldiers are essentially people who are paid to kill other people for their country? Aren't they? Or do you think all these soldiers Stevie met were delivering teddy bears to orphanages when they got wounded?

I feel bad for them. I feel bad for anyone who had witnessed war and is in pain. But are these not men and woman who have picked up guns and invaded another country?

Stevie is clearly a very empathetic, caring person. That's great. I just wonder why she has adopted this cause.
I think she has always been sympathetic to the men and women in uniform (probably a respect "thing" passed on from her parents), but perhaps being in NYC when the World Trade Center was destroyed affected her further to want to support the people that are trained to protect this country in times of war. I won't pretend to know what Stevie thinks, but it's a logical guess. She was following the news and the people of NYC were hearing far more detailed stories locally then the rest of the country. I would guess it had quite an impact.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Love this thread and I am just adding my unpopular Stevie opinions:

* I think Thrown Down is the best song she wrote in many years, that is to me, since Rooms on Fire (and I think the lyrics are about Lindsey and herself )

*I think that some of her songs are cheesy

* The Mick affair irritates me

* I don't get so irritated by the whole "we didn't know cocaine was bad thing". Not that I think it is true, but I believe that she means she didn't know she would lose her mind..On the other hand, I don't buy the "klonopin" thing. As with coke, it was entirely her fault that she became addicted to it and not the doctor's fault.

* I love "Fireflies", almost as much as I love "Dreams".

*I hate her 80's style. The hair, the clothes, the songs (except a couple of them).

*I believe everything she says about not having had any kids. And I believe she has deeply regretted it.

*I absolutely love "Running through the garden", but I dislike the guitar parts (but then again, I 've got the feeling that she's not the one to blame ). Sounds too 80's IMO.

*I don't think she "got around" that much. I mean she did, but not more than any other famous 70's rock star. Or else, I don't believe that it is a "feature" strongly connected to her image (as is the case with other female rock stars).And I have a feeling she was pretty much emotional and serious about her relationships.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elie

* I don't get so irritated by the whole "we didn't know cocaine was bad thing". Not that I think it is true, but I believe that she means she didn't know she would lose her mind..On the other hand, I don't buy the "klonopin" thing. As with coke, it was entirely her fault that she became addicted to it and not the doctor's fault.
I agree with you on the Klonopin use. How could Stevie use this drug for eight years before figuring out there was a problem? But, I also blame whatever doctor or psychiatrist that was prescribing this.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Because Klonopin is prescribed as a tranquillizer and/or sleep aid, and Stevie has serious stage fright, & they probably helped with that. Also, Stevie has an addictive personality, she smoked for years & then gave that up, and maybe she was afraid that without the Klonopin she'd go back to the coke?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieRox2
Because Klonopin is prescribed as a tranquillizer and/or sleep aid, and Stevie has serious stage fright, & they probably helped with that. Also, Stevie has an addictive personality, she smoked for years & then gave that up, and maybe she was afraid that without the Klonopin she'd go back to the coke?
That's a possibility I haven't thought about..that Stevie used Klonopin as a substitute drug. I don't know enough about how drug treatment centers like Betty Ford work. I thought once someone went through the program, they were "cured" of the addiction. Does anybody know what exactly happens at BF? What is the program?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know how BF works, but I guess that all centers are supposed to teach you how to live without addictions in general. Now as to Klonopin, I think that it is prescribed sometimes to ex-drug addicts, as in Stevie's case.It is an anti-depressant and people who quit drugs are evidently more likely to be depressed. My understanding is that in Stevie's case, the prescription was not the problem to begin with, but she abused the drug and became addicted to it (I think Klonopin is highly addictive and that is why you have to stick to the prescription and not use more than the doctor says- it's like opioids and pain killers, like Vicodin. You get that after an operation for example, but if you start abusing it, you might end up a junky-literally). That is why I am a bit surprised that in interviews she sort of blames the doctor for her addiction, while the doctor did something normal, that is he/she gave Stevie a what I think was a "routine" prescription and it was Stevie who did it wrong by taking dozens of pills more than she was supposed to.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

It's actually an anticonvulsant and used to treat seizures and anxiety, is not supposed to be used more than 4 weeks, and is highly addictive if used over 2 weeks. It's used to also treat mood disorders, drug-induced mania and bi-polar disorder.

Last edited by StevieRox2; 03-20-2006 at 05:25 PM..
Old 03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Quote:
i believe she has actually said that is why the psychiatrist put her on the klonopin.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark
i believe she has actually said that is why the psychiatrist put her on the klonopin.
Hmm, hadnt heard that.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Hmm, hadnt heard that.

really?? here's a selection of quotes about it from various sources:

"Nicks says the last time she used cocaine on stage was during a concert at Red Rocks in 1986. It was a turning point for her. Afterwards, she went straight to the Betty Ford Clinic. But in attempting to help herself, she encountered a problem far worse than her cocaine problem - a new addiction to prescription drugs. Fresh out a rehab, a psychiatrist put Stevie on a tranquilizer called Klonopin. Generally prescribed for seizures and panic attacks, experts say it should not be taken for more than nine weeks. Stevie says she took it for eight years, learning way too late that Klonopin is highly addictive and can have side effects like depression and weight gain."
------------------------------------------------------------------
Why were you on Klonopin in the first place? Basically, when I got off cocaine I ended up going to a doctor because everyone around me said, "Well, you need to do something to stay off cocaine." Not really understanding that I was off of cocaine. All I had to do was go through Betty Ford one time. And that was it. I have never seen that drug or done it, or been around anybody who has done it since I stopped.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1986, Nicks was treated for cocaine addiction at the Betty Ford Center. Later, Nicks was prescribed Klonopin, a sedative, to counteract her anxiety after ceasing her use of cocaine. This led to another addiction battle that she would not overcome until 1994.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to Nicks' cheerfully frank confessions, you also know that Fleetwood Mac's resident fairy princess kicked the cocaine habit in 1985, only to spend eight debilitating years addicted to Klonopin, the sedative her psychiatrist prescribed to help her stay off the white stuff.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Her departure from the Betty Ford Center in 86, Stevie went to see a psychiatrist, who prescribed Stevie to the drug, Klonopin. He gave her the drug to calm her cravings for cocaine, and Stevie eventually became addicted to Klonopin. Her addiction happened over a slow period of time, but her physical condition worsened, and it was noticable. The drug made Stevie lathargic, and caused her to be tired, and less energetic, which fans could strongly notice.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac's resident fairy princess
Old 03-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's actually an anticonvulsant and used to treat seizures and anxiety, is not supposed to be used more than 4 weeks, and is highly addictive if used over 2 weeks. It's used to also treat mood disorders, drug-induced mania and bi-polar disorder.

Yeah, it's not an antidepressant. That's why I get mad at Stevie for condemning antidepressants in the same breath as she talks about her Klonopin addiction. I think she does people a disservice who actually need these meds and can take them without abusing them.

And, I don't know if anyone has said so or not already, but I've tried to wade throught this endless thread and have finally given up without getting even close to the end, but I have to talk about Stevie's journal entries:

First a disclaimer. Stevie's visists to the soldiers are important and valuable and very generous of her. I have no doubt that her feelings for them are genuine and selfless. As with 9-11, she seems to feel others' pain so deeply sometimes. That said:

I find Stevie's journal entries to be so weird lately. If she wants to communicate with her fans, I don't understand why she doesn't just write us an actual letter instead of sharing her journal entries. She has written, at least the last one, in such a self-important way, using the third person to describe her work with the soldiers in such a self-serving, almost mythological manner. I'd prefer that if she wants to bring publicity to the soldiers' plight and draw others into the work she's doing, she tell us how we can donate or get involved ourselves. On another note, I find it weird too that she wants to share with us how much she loved Peter Jennings. lol

Other unpopular opinions:
1. I'd like to see her cut her hair a little shorter so that it would look healthier.

2. I too would like to hear her true opinion on the war in Iraq. There is nothing wrong with being political. I don't understand why she has been afraid to do so.

3. I wish she'd stop relying on the same (but never quite the same) tired stories every time she does an interview. I feel that she's sticking to a script, and I'd like to hear what she REALLY thinks and feels NOW. It would be a shame if she were as stuck in her past as she portrays herself. I'm a romantic, but I'd like it if she had something to talk about BESIDES how she and Lindsey inspire each other, you know?

4. Stevie seemed so unhappy during parts of the SYW tour that I sometimes wonder if I really want to see FM again. I think I could be satisfied with only Stevie solo and Lindsey solo. Even though it was fun to analyze every little moment between S and L, I think I'd rather see her at her best and SYW was not her best. Maybe she was withdrawing to give him the spotlight, or maybe she was too affected by the drama of the tour, who knows, but she was holding back for some reason.

Yikes--Sorry this is so long! I hope y'all can wade through it without falling asleep.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorceress
Yeah, it's not an antidepressant. That's why I get mad at Stevie for condemning antidepressants in the same breath as she talks about her Klonopin addiction. I think she does people a disservice who actually need these meds and can take them without abusing them.

And, I don't know if anyone has said so or not already, but I've tried to wade throught this endless thread and have finally given up without getting even close to the end, but I have to talk about Stevie's journal entries:

First a disclaimer. Stevie's visists to the soldiers are important and valuable and very generous of her. I have no doubt that her feelings for them are genuine and selfless. As with 9-11, she seems to feel others' pain so deeply sometimes. That said:

I find Stevie's journal entries to be so weird lately. If she wants to communicate with her fans, I don't understand why she doesn't just write us an actual letter instead of sharing her journal entries. She has written, at least the last one, in such a self-important way, using the third person to describe her work with the soldiers in such a self-serving, almost mythological manner. I'd prefer that if she wants to bring publicity to the soldiers' plight and draw others into the work she's doing, she tell us how we can donate or get involved ourselves. On another note, I find it weird too that she wants to share with us how much she loved Peter Jennings. lol

Other unpopular opinions:
1. I'd like to see her cut her hair a little shorter so that it would look healthier.

2. I too would like to hear her true opinion on the war in Iraq. There is nothing wrong with being political. I don't understand why she has been afraid to do so.

3. I wish she'd stop relying on the same (but never quite the same) tired stories every time she does an interview. I feel that she's sticking to a script, and I'd like to hear what she REALLY thinks and feels NOW. It would be a shame if she were as stuck in her past as she portrays herself. I'm a romantic, but I'd like it if she had something to talk about BESIDES how she and Lindsey inspire each other, you know?

4. Stevie seemed so unhappy during parts of the SYW tour that I sometimes wonder if I really want to see FM again. I think I could be satisfied with only Stevie solo and Lindsey solo. Even though it was fun to analyze every little moment between S and L, I think I'd rather see her at her best and SYW was not her best. Maybe she was withdrawing to give him the spotlight, or maybe she was too affected by the drama of the tour, who knows, but she was holding back for some reason.

Yikes--Sorry this is so long! I hope y'all can wade through it without falling asleep.
GREAT POST!!!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

here's what i'm sure will be an unpopular stevie opinion:

- i find her so-called "journal entries' that she posts on the nicks fix very affected, very fake. a journal connotes something private - but those entries are written with the full-on knowledge that she is writing for an audience. so i don't think they actually provide great insight into her private thoughts. i doubt very much she actually writes with all the dramatic ~~~'s when she's actually writing for herself in her journals.

fire away!!!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
here's what i'm sure will be an unpopular stevie opinion:

- i find her so-called "journal entries' that she posts on the nicks fix very affected, very fake. a journal connotes something private - but those entries are written with the full-on knowledge that she is writing for an audience. so i don't think they actually provide great insight into her private thoughts. i doubt very much she actually writes with all the dramatic ~~~'s when she's actually writing for herself in her journals.

fire away!!!
I have to say I agree in part and disagree in part. I do find some to be rather "odd" in their wording just as some of the responses to the Ask Stevie are, but I don't think they are fake. Of course she knows they are going to be viewed by anyone that logs on to the site and I'm sure she wouldn't expose anything she doesn't want anyone else to read. As for the dramatics of her writing, I have no doubt she does use those symbols...when I write in a journal, I do - and we all know how dramatic Stevie is so I don't doubt she actually uses them...we've even seen notes, lyric sheets and old poems where she uses such constantly.