The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Over at Ralph Lauren, there were floating gypsy skirts and tea dresses in muted floral prints, high-necked cashmere knits and cropped velvet jackets in rich jewel tones. With those wardrobe hallmarks of singer Stevie Nicks, it was no surprise the soundtrack featured Fleetwood Mac.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...ph_lauren.html
Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

10) Warren Zevon: 'Werewolves of London'

Co-written by LeRoy Marinell, Waddy Wachtel (who has worked with Keith Richards, James Taylor and Stevie Nicks) and Warren Zevon, the 1978 single features Fleetwood Mac's bassist John McVie and drummer Mick Fleetwood. The notable playful piano melody fits well with chorus refrain ("Ah-ooo!") and the bizarre lyrics: "I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's / His hair was perfect." Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffett and even Adam Sandler have all covered the tune, which was Warren Zevon's only successful single.

http://www.aolradioblog.com/2010/02/...t-piano-songs/
Old 02-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Over at Ralph Lauren, there were floating gypsy skirts and tea dresses in muted floral prints, high-necked cashmere knits and cropped velvet jackets in rich jewel tones. With those wardrobe hallmarks of singer Stevie Nicks, it was no surprise the soundtrack featured Fleetwood Mac.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...ph_lauren.html
RALPH LAUREN

You know the look: It's pretty, it's elegant, it's all-American. The label has got to be Ralph Lauren.

The fall collection captured in 50 outfits a hit parade of Lauren's signature styles. The fashion A-listers who make their way to a remote downtown studio every season saw menswear-inspired suit pieces; delicate, simple gowns; beautiful knits; and nods to the country-club life so familiar to wearers of Lauren's collections.

Like many other designers this season Lauren stayed close to the core message of the brand instead of experimenting with something that may or may not resonate with customers as the economy shows signs of shaky recovery.

But while the feel of this runway was familiar, there was nothing boring about an olive-colored Chesterfield coat over an ultra-feminine, floral-print georgette gown, or the chic black turtleneck worn under a delicate flutter-sleeve dress – also in a floral. A black, beaded crochet-style capelet paired with a blousoned brown velvet blouse had a vintage feel.

A handful of looks, though, took the whole Fleetwood Mac theme – and all those handkerchief hems – just a little too far, especially with a Nicks soundtrack in the background.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_468662.html
Old 02-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Shwayze(an amazing hip hop duo) tweeted several hours ago:

"Just met Mick Fleetwood w @iamjasonsmith in the Melbourne airport! So sick legendary drummer of Fleetwood mac."

Why is Mick in Melbourne?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
Shwayze(an amazing hip hop duo) tweeted several hours ago:

"Just met Mick Fleetwood w @iamjasonsmith in the Melbourne airport! So sick legendary drummer of Fleetwood mac."

Why is Mick in Melbourne?

Probably for his Blues Band performances. Michele
Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Soundtrack to my Day: Monday Morning - Fleetwood Mac
By Howard
Monday Morning - Fleetwood Mac. From the 1975 self-titled album, which was actually the bands tenth studio effort, Monday Morning is a song written by Lindsey Buckingham about the tumultuous relationship between Stevie Nicks and himself ...
Soundtrack to my Day - http://soundtracktomyday.blogspot.com/
Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Pitchfork: Best Coast Talks Debut Album
We chatted with Cosentino recently about what we can expect from her full-length, the difference between Fleetwood Mac and the Ramones, and why the ocean is pretty ****ed up if you think about it: Pitchfork: Did you re-record any of ...
Pitchfork: Latest News - http://www.pitchfork.com/news/

Pitchfork: I think it's cool when bands do songs that switch things up, like when the Yeah Yeah Yeahs did "Maps" on Fever to Tell. That came out of nowhere.
BC: People love that **** [laughs]. My favorite record of all time is Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. It's made up of a bunch of songs that don't really sound the same, but they all go really well together. Then again, when you listen to a Ramones record, you're like, "They knew what they were doing and they wrote a bunch of songs that were basically the same."
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default An Idiot wrote this article

The Tangled Relationships Of Fleetwood Mac
The Truth 6:08 pm on February 23, 2010 | 0 Permalink | Reply
Tags: Fleetwood (3), Relationships (3), Tangled

Mixing relationships and business together can either be a disaster or lead to success. With Fleetwood Mac, although the breakups of band members John and Christine McVie as well as Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks created chaos, it lead to the creation of the hit album Rumours with hit singles “Go Your Own Way”, “Dreams”, “Don’t’ Stop” and “You Make Loving Fun.” Rumours sold over 19 million copies in the U.S. alone and 40 million copies worldwide.

Fleetwood Mac saw many changes before this success. The band was formed in 1967 in London by Peter Green. He was joined by Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. At the time the band was called Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, which played blues rock. In the 1970s the band topped charts with Green’s “Black Magic Woman”, which Santana later picked up and made popular. But the band, with Green, never realized worldwide notoriety. Green then began struggling with his abuse of LSD and suffered from schizophrenia and later he quit the band in 1970.

Just after Green left, Christine Perfect McVie joined the group, not long after marrying Fleetwood Mac band member John McVie. Christine was perfect for the band as she had been a long time fan of Fleetwood Mac and knew all of Green’s lyrics, allowing her to pick up where he left off. With a music background, once performing with the group Chicken Shack, fitting in with the group was an easy fit.

With the group’s reformation, they decided to move to the United States and try their hand with American audiences. In 1972 they released the album Bare Trees. Meanwhile the band struggled with band members coming and going, it wasn’t until a scouting tour in Van Nuys, California that Mic Fleetwood discovered the band Buckingham Nicks, made up of Lindsey Buckingham and Stephanie “Stevie” Nicks.” Fleetwood asked Buckingham to join, Buckingham agreed if his musical partner and girlfriend could also be a part of the band. And the rest is history.

In 1975 the new mix of band members released the album “Fleetwood Mac”. Hit songs included “Over My Head”, “Say You Love Me”, “Rhiannon” and “Landslide.” The album sold over 5 million copies.

The following year, relationships began to crumble. Fleetwood was in the middle of a divorce from his wife Jenny, John and Christine’s marriage came to an end and Buckingham and Nick’s romance fell apart. Other songs that came from the Rumours album that achieved great success was “Second Hand News”, “Gold Dust Woman” and “The Chain.”

After the group’s success, the band went back to the drawing board searching for a new sound. The result was the 20 track double album Tusk released in 1979. The song “Tusk” reached #8 on U.S. charts and featured the USC Trojan Marching Band. “Think About Me”, and “Sara” were also successful.

In 1982 the band released the album Mirage. It included hits “Gypsy” and “Oh Diane.” Mirage received a double platinum status in the United States. Touring the United States, Stevie Nicks’ popularity grew and grew. With her popularity came pressure and it wasn’t long before she was admitted to the Betty Ford Clinic for addiction problems. John McView was also suffering from addiction-related problems. While there were rumors the band was breaking up, the later released Tango In The Night along with their Greatest Hits album in 1988. Tango in the Night included hits “Big Love”, “Little Lies”, and “Everywhere”.

The band came back to the forefront of the music scene when asked by U.S. President Bill Clinton to perform at his first Inaugural Ball in 1993 performing his campaign theme song “Don’t Stop.”

The band, minus Christine McVie toured in 1984, opening for Crosby, Stills and Nash. In 1998, Fleetwood Mac (Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan) were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and performed at the Grammy Awards program that year. They were also the recipients of the “Outstanding Contribution to Music” award at the BRIT Awards (British Phonographic Industry Awards) the same year.

Despite the tangled relationships the group had throughout the years, success continued to follow them and the band is still highly recognized.

http://whatiswrongwiththeworldtoday....-fleetwood-mac
Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: FANFARLO ~ the WILD honey pie
By Drone
We do have a 7" record being released in April which will feature a reworked older song on the a-side and a cover of a song by our current obsession, Fleetwood Mac, on the b-side. the WILD honey pie: Thanks so much for answering my ...
the WILD honey pie - http://thewildhoneypie.blogspot.com/
Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

In 1982 the band released the album Mirage. It included hits “Gypsy” and “Oh Diane.” Mirage received a double platinum status in the United States. Touring the United States, Stevie Nicks’ popularity grew and grew. With her popularity came pressure and it wasn’t long before she was admitted to the Betty Ford Clinic for addiction problems. John McView was also suffering from addiction-related problems. While there were rumors the band was breaking up, the later released Tango In The Night along with their Greatest Hits album in 1988. Tango in the Night included hits “Big Love”, “Little Lies”, and “Everywhere”.

The band came back to the forefront of the music scene when asked by U.S. President Bill Clinton to perform at his first Inaugural Ball in 1993 performing his campaign theme song “Don’t Stop.”

The band, minus Christine McVie toured in 1984, opening for Crosby, Stills and Nash. In 1998, Fleetwood Mac (Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan) were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and performed at the Grammy Awards program that year. They were also the recipients of the “Outstanding Contribution to Music” award at the BRIT Awards (British Phonographic Industry Awards) the same year.

Despite the tangled relationships the group had throughout the years, success continued to follow them and the band is still highly recognized.

http://whatiswrongwiththeworldtoday....-fleetwood-mac
I assume they meant they toured with CSN in 1994. I also love how in the paragraph about Mirage they call John 'John McView'
Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This Pittsburgh Post-Gazette columnist was responding to reader comments about Eric Clapton.

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...pton-show.aspx

To: Greg

My take on Clapton is that he was hugely awesome and influential with Cream and Derek & the Dominos. After that, not so much. And as a live concert soloist, not really that exciting. (see my list of Top 10 Rock Guitarists.)

As for a so-called "classic rock" show, this was far below average.

Pay to see Fleetwood Mac (Buckingham is a more thrilling live player) or the Eagles (Walsh is a blast to watch) or CSNY (Neil!) and they give you 2.5 to 3 solid hours. They play everything you want to hear. They give a show with full production (backdrops, films, etc). They talk and have a warm rapport with the crowd. They make YOU feel good for coming there.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A few funny moments from the last week:

Two kids were on the bus behind me, discussing their favorite hard rock music (Metallica, Pantera, etc.) I asked them if they had heard of the hard rock band Fleetwood Mac. They both looked at each other and said no. I told them it was the most thrash, hardcore band I had ever heard, so much so they make me ears bleed. They bought it, hook, line, and sinker. They asked for some of their best songs. I told them "Landslide. Think about it. What happens in a landslide? Destruction." They both wrote the song and band down. Nice.

http://ryanbarton.blogspot.com/
Old 03-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Derulo and Gaga kill the favourites | The Daily Dust | UK News ...
By Ewan
Lady Gaga's The Fame returning to the top spot and extending the run of Top 40 occupation to 59 weeks – although with Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits making an interesting re-appearance Mick Fleetwood and co can now count 198 weeks in the ...
The Daily Dust | UK News | Good News - http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/
Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris Babbitt of Taking Dawn
March 2, 2010 by TWRY Staff

Drawing influences from the Rock Gods of the 80s and early 90s ,Taking Dawn has created their own collection of infectious, in your face, rebellious rockers with their debut album “Time To Burn” on Roadrunner Records. From the fist-pumping title track to their assaulting cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” Taking Dawn mixes shredding guitars (played by frontman Chris Babbitt and childhood compadre Mikey Cross) with heavy melodic choruses beckoning back to the days of old. Rounding out the band is Andrew Cushing on bass and Alan Doucette on drums.

There’s an interesting cover on the album, not one people might expect that edged out a possible cover of W.A.S.P.’s **** Like a Beast…what lead you down the path of Fleetwood Mac?

We’re still going to do **** Like a Beast, it just wasn’t the right timing. We wanted to do the W.A.S.P song because it had to be shelved in the 80s and I think it’s the best song on that album which I think is W.A.S.P’s best album. I think that W.A.S.P stands for a lot of in the 80s what music was misconstrued to be because it’s such a hard awesome catchy record that someone might disregard as glam because they don’t know any better but it’s nothing like that. At the same time it had balls that was enough to scare people of power so to speak so I thought it would be cool for our first release to feature that. We brought it up to our producer and he wasn’t too big on it which was weird because he loves all that kind of music. I wanted him to be into it and so we looked for different options and we considered Mirror, Mirror by Def Leppard (back when they were more Maiden sounding) which is kind of our sound – early Def leppard/ Skid Row/Motley Crue meets Guns n Roses/Metallica/Megadeth so it felt like that was the common ground. The record itself had so many elements of the big harmonies and the catchy, succinct songs that were still edgy and kind of metal but rock so we thought it would fit and complement the record but we thought, what’s the point of covering something that you sound like, unless you’re going to own it. So Mike suggested The Chain by Fleetwood Mac and we thought it would be fun because it was different and brought new elements to the table while still bringing the balls to it. We get to do to that song what Metallica did for Seger which was really cool. There’s no point covering a song unless you make it your own or make it better than the original.

http://theywillrockyou.com/2010/03/chris-babbitt-dawn/
Old 03-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Someone please post this single!!

No One Will Ever Love You
The Magnetic Fields

Label: Merge
Released: 1999

Far from being a concept album full of love songs, Stephin Merritt’s 3rd album 69 Love Songs is a collection of songs written about love songs themselves, and has very little to do with love. The multi-instrumentalist song writer pays homage to his influences throughout the collection, perhaps most clearly when he condenses all seventy four minutes and thirty five seconds of Fleetwood Mac’s album Tusk into three minutes and fourteen seconds on “No One Will Ever Love You”. Vocalist Shirley Simms is a fill-in Stevie Nicks on the track, conjuring the essence of Merritt’s muse so strongly that he often introduced her on stage as Shirley Nicks. The lyrics express frustration at a relationship that has grown too mundane for the narrator, asking “Where is the madness that you promised me?”. The sum of the song is bleak, moving, and beautiful in a way that is sincere without being slight.

http://www.damnfineday.com/?p=9481