User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
One thing that has not been mentioned yet is Ellen's comments. She mentioned at least 3 times "They sound so good" "Boy they really sound good" "Don't you agree, they really sounded good"
Maybe because I am trained in statement analysis but it seems Ellen is providing cover to the band as if everyone expected the band to sound bad with new members?
Lots of bands perform on Ellen. Does she say 3 times after they perform how good they sound and then ask the audience the same thing?
I am probably in the minority again but I just thought that was strange. Its just sad that the band needs a prop up from Ellen because of new members

I thought the same thing. I felt it was specifically due to the introduction of the new lineup.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Still didn’t have the solo…
and it was still played better overall.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Ok..

finally watched the Ellen Show clips of the band. Hmmm...

"The Chain" was ok, but needed the microphones of both Stevie and Christine's turned up. I'm really not of fan of Neil Finn's voice here - nothing against the talented dude, but he's not Lindsey and I think the band should stay away from doing Lindsey's songs on the tour. I really liked Mike Campbell's playing - not comparing him to Lindsey because there isn't any in the context of Fleetwood Mac.

For me, "Gypsy" live will never be able to duplicate the beautiful studio version and Stevie did sound a bit rough here. In honesty, this song needs to be pared down and be done like the live version from the 2000 Arizona Heart Institute Benefit (my favorite live version of "Gypsy" by far - it's so beautiful). But then again Lindsey did play on that song so maybe skip this one also on the upcoming tour.

At least the live audience at the Ellen show seemed to be enjoying the new version of "Fleetwood Mac." I just don't know.. yet.

Still my favorite band - always and forever.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
true. the difference is - Cher fully admits it and has for decades. Stevie insists she's just staying out of the sun.
hahaha!!
Old 09-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry but this just wasn't good. It also wasn't terrible, but it lacked something bigger than just Lindsey, it lacked chemistry. It seems forced and not particularly fun for anyone other than Mick who always looks like he's possessed.

Song Choices - Really, I mean, I feel this was a major middle finger to Lindsey. You have your inaugural performance with The Chain? The one song that all five of them have a songwriting credit one. A song that literally says not to break the chain? And then you go full throttle with that middle finger and play the Stevie song that Lindsey is on record as saying one of his proudest works with her? How on Earth were these the choices? Why the hell wasn't a Christine song done?

Vocals - Stevie doesn't, to my ears, sound much worse than how she's sounded for years. Her Gypsy vocal has been bland af for a long time now..."and it lights up the night" is where the energy just falls flat on it's face and the song never recovers. Is Christine's mic even on? And Neill just doesn't have the sound for this band. Shades of Billy Burnette all over again. He's a fine singer and services the song well enough, but it came across bland bland bland.

Music - These guys are all professionals with decades upon decades of experience amongst them. The music sounded fine. The sound was bad but I'd assume that's a result of the TV show vs. their choice to have John's bass solo barely audible. Campbell's guitar skills can't be questioned and clearly the reason the Gypsy solo wasn't played was because they had x amount of time for a TV show. I mean, it's the Ellen show not The Forum. I would expect in concert he would do something with the solo. But what I can't fathom is him playing that stupid piano part? I don't care that it was played on the album similarly, it sounded and looked ridiculous. Play it on the guitar man! And why on Earth is he playing it with two other keyboard players right there?

Christine - Chris took quite possibly the worst 16 years off that she could have ever picked. Her skills from a live perspective have been questionable ever since she came back. I love this woman and felt that the band sorely missed her on the Say You Will album and tour and the two greatest hits tours that followed. I was so pumped at the beginning of You Make Loving Fun in 2014 - she was back! But it was clear then that she wasn't the same. Her vocals are not good and I'm not sure where exactly she's playing anymore. The BuckVie shows exemplified this and then this Ellen performance showed more of the same. I'm sorry, but Chris and Stevie needed to be in full kick ass mode in order for this to work.

Overall, this made me sad. I am still appalled that Lindsey was fired. I have never been a so-called "Lindsey lover" at all. I love the BAND and felt that all 5 of them made each other better. To get to this stage of their career (the end-stage) and pivot to whatever the hell it is that they've become, is just embarrassing. It's like Jagger kicking out Richards at 75. Keith's been pissing Mick off and flubbing solos and playing ridiculously wrong notes for years but the Stones are the Stones still. This Fleetwood Mac looked old and tired. For a new band I would have expected a kick ass performance where they showed some ability beyond being able to somewhat parrot the same songs and arrangements that they've been delivering for 20 years. I don't care that they're in their 70's - you want to make that bold move that you did in firing Lindsey Buckingham, you better bring your A-game to generate interest and prove that you didn't need the man. All I saw here was an advertisement for a cash grab hits tour. "Hey look we're gonna play the songs you love, gonna start with The Chain too! And mama's still here front and center, waving fingers and throwing odd vocal phrasings into the mix...we're the same as before...come see us!!"
Old 09-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's clear that at least Mick and Stevie, if not the whole lot, wanted another cash grab tour. It's becoming clear that LB wanted something different. So he was sent packing, and the cash grab reboot was created.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
It's clear that at least Mick and Stevie, if not the whole lot, wanted another cash grab tour. It's becoming clear that LB wanted something different. So he was sent packing, and the cash grab reboot was created.
I think they will be grabbing a hell of a lot less cash this go around! He may not have wanted to miss this outing, but ummm, good miss Lindsey.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
and it was still played better overall.
As it should have been. They recorded it and played it live many times. They were also already on tour when they did that show.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I'm sorry but this just wasn't good. It also wasn't terrible, but it lacked something bigger than just Lindsey, it lacked chemistry. It seems forced and not particularly fun for anyone other than Mick who always looks like he's possessed.

Song Choices - Really, I mean, I feel this was a major middle finger to Lindsey. You have your inaugural performance with The Chain? The one song that all five of them have a songwriting credit one. A song that literally says not to break the chain? And then you go full throttle with that middle finger and play the Stevie song that Lindsey is on record as saying one of his proudest works with her? How on Earth were these the choices? Why the hell wasn't a Christine song done?

Vocals - Stevie doesn't, to my ears, sound much worse than how she's sounded for years. Her Gypsy vocal has been bland af for a long time now..."and it lights up the night" is where the energy just falls flat on it's face and the song never recovers. Is Christine's mic even on? And Neill just doesn't have the sound for this band. Shades of Billy Burnette all over again. He's a fine singer and services the song well enough, but it came across bland bland bland.

Music - These guys are all professionals with decades upon decades of experience amongst them. The music sounded fine. The sound was bad but I'd assume that's a result of the TV show vs. their choice to have John's bass solo barely audible. Campbell's guitar skills can't be questioned and clearly the reason the Gypsy solo wasn't played was because they had x amount of time for a TV show. I mean, it's the Ellen show not The Forum. I would expect in concert he would do something with the solo. But what I can't fathom is him playing that stupid piano part? I don't care that it was played on the album similarly, it sounded and looked ridiculous. Play it on the guitar man! And why on Earth is he playing it with two other keyboard players right there?

Christine - Chris took quite possibly the worst 16 years off that she could have ever picked. Her skills from a live perspective have been questionable ever since she came back. I love this woman and felt that the band sorely missed her on the Say You Will album and tour and the two greatest hits tours that followed. I was so pumped at the beginning of You Make Loving Fun in 2014 - she was back! But it was clear then that she wasn't the same. Her vocals are not good and I'm not sure where exactly she's playing anymore. The BuckVie shows exemplified this and then this Ellen performance showed more of the same. I'm sorry, but Chris and Stevie needed to be in full kick ass mode in order for this to work.

Overall, this made me sad. I am still appalled that Lindsey was fired. I have never been a so-called "Lindsey lover" at all. I love the BAND and felt that all 5 of them made each other better. To get to this stage of their career (the end-stage) and pivot to whatever the hell it is that they've become, is just embarrassing. It's like Jagger kicking out Richards at 75. Keith's been pissing Mick off and flubbing solos and playing ridiculously wrong notes for years but the Stones are the Stones still. This Fleetwood Mac looked old and tired. For a new band I would have expected a kick ass performance where they showed some ability beyond being able to somewhat parrot the same songs and arrangements that they've been delivering for 20 years. I don't care that they're in their 70's - you want to make that bold move that you did in firing Lindsey Buckingham, you better bring your A-game to generate interest and prove that you didn't need the man. All I saw here was an advertisement for a cash grab hits tour. "Hey look we're gonna play the songs you love, gonna start with The Chain too! And mama's still here front and center, waving fingers and throwing odd vocal phrasings into the mix...we're the same as before...come see us!!"
You said everything I was thinking, very articulately.

The Ellen performance finally clarified for me my feelings about what has happened. This band, with Rumours lineup, has been a huge part of my life from childhood until middle age. With Lindsey gone, I will not have the opportunity to give a proper goodbye (in my mind) nor allow me to close out this important part of my life in a meaningful way. This is not the end of the world, and certainly there are bigger problems out there. But it’s important to me and by reading these posts over the months, it’s important to many.

Had the band decided to throw in the towel, I would still have been disappointed but it wouldn’t have been so upsetting. Putting together this ridiculous new band and having the ****ing nerve to have The Chain be their choice to debut - it’s a slap in the face and shows so much disrespect for fans who have stuck with them during all of their drama and games. Because we love them.

Last edited by Buster; 09-07-2018 at 03:50 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Please, The Chain is hardly that sacred to any of them.

Lindsey played it on his 1993 solo tour, after HE broke the chain.

Fleetwood Mac played it on the 87-95 tours. Hell, they called the 94-95 tour the “Another Link In The Chain” tour.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As it should have been. They recorded it and played it live many times. They were also already on tour when they did that show.
...and the new band has been in rehearsal for a month...

For the record, had they hit the stage with a performance that reflected having their collective sh*t together, I'd be more than willing to objectively say "hey they came out punching and despite Lindsey's absence, they have their own thing going on and giving everyone a run for their money.

I'm an amateur guitar player at best and last night I literally picked up my telecaster and within 5 minutes found all the notes needed for that part that Mike was playing on a keyboard during gypsy.

Yes it was on TV, yes it was their first public performance, yes Stevie may not have sounded the best...all that I don't care about. If you listen strictly to the music...it was sloppy and there's no way around that. Bands sound like crap on TV all the time, but they're still tight and on their A game. They now have TWO guitarists to cover the part of ONE guitarist and it's still sloppy?

No disrespect for Mike or Neil, this is a weird situation for them but it's still a giant head scratcher to have an army of folks on that stage and yet it's still sloppy. The absence of Lindsey completely aside, it was sloppy.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Please, The Chain is hardly that sacred to any of them.

Lindsey played it on his 1993 solo tour, after HE broke the chain.

Fleetwood Mac played it on the 87-95 tours. Hell, they called the 94-95 tour the “Another Link In The Chain” tour.
Clearly nothing is sacred to them.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess what I find most appalling of the whole thing (just my opinion) You would think they would come out with a lot of energy and something to prove given all that went down. Yet instead it came across as bare bones, as minimal effort as possible. Kinda include some of the guitar parts, kinda don't include others (and i'm not just talking about the gypsy solo!)...Kinda come in on time after the bass solo on The Chain.

They went into a rehearsal only a month ago, same as the always did even with Lindsey and guess what? It completely shows.

And their arrogance in thinking they could just re-configure the band in a month like an Applebees dollar-rita is a prime example of how far up their own collective a$$es this group of people really are at the moment.

I'm not paying 200.00 to watch a band "warm up" on the road and just sit back and be grateful for the opportunity. They have professionals in the band, be professional. Maybe less time on the set of American Horror Story and a little more time trying to gel a new band.

Sorry, end of rant.

Last edited by BigAl84; 09-07-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Clearly nothing is sacred to them.
You can say that again.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I'm an amateur guitar player at best and last night I literally picked up my telecaster and within 5 minutes found all the notes needed for that part that Mike was playing on a keyboard during gypsy.
Mike could easily play it on guitar if he wanted, just like he could only use one guitar on The Chain. He’s taking creative liberties.

THE Stephen Hopkins