User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
How much difference is there playing it on a 5.1 surround system as opposed to decent computer speakers or a tv soundbar. Cause I've played it on both the latter options and am still hearing some significant and cool nuances of the songs. Is it worth the investment of buying a 5.1 surround system? I believe they are relatively cheap, so I may just do it anyway.
5.1 has been around since early 2000s. You can pick up a pretty good 5.1 at Walmart. Problem is they are crappy components.

Your best deal is to hunt at Salvation Army for one someone has gotten rid of. Something like a Onkyo or Denon or even a Sony NON integrated would work. Then get some nice speakers. Not the puny tiny ones you see for watching movies. I have old JBL and Klipsh speakers for watching movies. They are big so they do not need Subwoofers, but you can still use a subwoofer with them.

That is about as good a sound as you are going to get out of 5.1.

Most 5.1 cds also have ANOTHER layer that has ANOTHER even BETTER quality mix on them. This is the DVD-A layer. I know the 2002-ish Rumours DVD had a 5.1 AND a DVD-A layer. The DVD-A layer is supposedly better, but you need a special player that can decode that layer and I think you have to have individual channel outputs on the player to send it to a 5.1 receiver. Most of you wont need that and its too complicated to explain!!

Stick with a nice regulat 5.1 Dolby Digital used from Salvation Army connected to ANY blueray or DVD player and it should decode fine as long as you use the digital outputs.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
5.1 has been around since early 2000s. You can pick up a pretty good 5.1 at Walmart. Problem is they are crappy components.

Your best deal is to hunt at Salvation Army for one someone has gotten rid of. Something like a Onkyo or Denon or even a Sony NON integrated would work. Then get some nice speakers. Not the puny tiny ones you see for watching movies. I have old JBL and Klipsh speakers for watching movies. They are big so they do not need Subwoofers, but you can still use a subwoofer with them.

That is about as good a sound as you are going to get out of 5.1.

Most 5.1 cds also have ANOTHER layer that has ANOTHER even BETTER quality mix on them. This is the DVD-A layer. I know the 2002-ish Rumours DVD had a 5.1 AND a DVD-A layer. The DVD-A layer is supposedly better, but you need a special player that can decode that layer and I think you have to have individual channel outputs on the player to send it to a 5.1 receiver. Most of you wont need that and its too complicated to explain!!

Stick with a nice regulat 5.1 Dolby Digital used from Salvation Army connected to ANY blueray or DVD player and it should decode fine as long as you use the digital outputs.

Thank you for your response! Much appreciated!
Old 10-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

I purchased the 3CD/DVD/Vinyl Deluxe box set of Mirage purely to get the Live CD (disc 3).

I don't have a record player to play the vinyl and this box set just takes up too much space, so I've decided to sell the box set and purchase the 2-CD edition instead (without the live tracks).

I know you can download or stream the live tracks separately, but as far as physical media goes... why do you have to buy the box set which includes the vinyl just to get the Live CD?

They did the same with the Tusk reissue. I suppose it's some sort of marketing ploy... a bad marketing ploy in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
I purchased the 3CD/DVD/Vinyl Deluxe box set of Mirage purely to get the Live CD (disc 3).

I don't have a record player to play the vinyl and this box set just takes up too much space, so I've decided to sell the box set and purchase the 2-CD edition instead (without the live tracks).

I know you can download or stream the live tracks separately, but as far as physical media goes... why do you have to buy the box set which includes the vinyl just to get the Live CD?

They did the same with the Tusk reissue. I suppose it's some sort of marketing ploy... a bad marketing ploy in my opinion.

It's to get you to spend more. Incentive

They later released the Alternate Tusk as a stand alone vinyl double LP and I believe they released the stand alone Live tracks for download on ITunes
Old 10-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A Mirage Tour would certainly force them to perform Isn't It Midnight live again, anyway.

Michele
Old 10-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
A Mirage Tour would certainly force them to perform Isn't It Midnight live again, anyway.

Michele
Don't remember ever seeing that one until the Tango(Shake the Cage ) tour.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Don't remember ever seeing that one until the Tango(Shake the Cage ) tour.
You're right. Michele
Old 10-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So I finally got around to playing the vinyl copy of Mirage tonight. That is one thick piece of vinyl! No snaps, crackles, or pops! Sounds rich and very clear. Nice addition to the deluxe release.

I think I've played Mirage more in the last two weeks than I've played it since '82. I really appreciate this being done for the fans, unearthing the treasure that this album truly is. I've fallen in love with Mirage, in particular "Only Over You" and "Straight Back". The alternate versions and 5.1 tracks reveal so much more than what the original release did. I'm a happy FM fan!
Old 10-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Omg...this version of If You Were My Love is so far superior than the long..dull..meandering , suck-ass version on 24k. Now, I actually like the song.
I agree with you 100% on IYWML.

However, what is on 24 Karat Gold is very similar to her Bella Donna demos/outtakes. Like she wrote it. This is, really, at heart, another example of Stevie not liking the way her song was changed - even if it were for the better - by working with FM, and probably pulling it for that reason.

I am reminded of Natalie Merchant telling why she left 10,000 Maniacs - because she was tired of writing songs by committee. Stevie made a comment of a similar nature in her 24 Karat Gold interviews, where she described working with the session musicians in Nashville, and how they played what she asked them to play, and how that was so unusual because she's used to being argued with (clearly a dig at Lindsey)

Quote:
"Working at the city’s clockwork pace proved an adjustment for Nicks, who’s accustomed to keeping odd hours while waiting for the muse to strike, but she found the businesslike tone of the sessions refreshing in at least one way — as she joked during the interview, “I’m used to bands where we argue over how to do the song. These Nashville guys just say, ‘Yes, ma’am.'”
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I agree with you 100% on IYWML.

However, what is on 24 Karat Gold is very similar to her Bella Donna demos/outtakes. Like she wrote it. This is, really, at heart, another example of Stevie not liking the way her song was changed - even if it were for the better - by working with FM, and probably pulling it for that reason.

I am reminded of Natalie Merchant telling why she left 10,000 Maniacs - because she was tired of writing songs by committee. Stevie made a comment of a similar nature in her 24 Karat Gold interviews, where she described working with the session musicians in Nashville, and how they played what she asked them to play, and how that was so unusual because she's used to being argued with (clearly a dig at Lindsey)
sounds like you think Stevie should have left FM long time ago. wonder why she hasn't?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think that was what Karma was trying to say at all.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I don't think that was what Karma was trying to say at all.
no?

looking through threads here today they read like tons of unnecessary negativity towards LB and some of the other FM members. not sure what prompted that in recent days, and especially today.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
no?

looking through threads here today they read like tons of unnecessary negativity towards LB and some of the other FM members. not sure what prompted that in recent days, and especially today.
habit?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
I'm fine that it was cut from Mirage. It always sounded like two different songs to me. The verses, the way she sang them in the '80s, were delicate and beautiful. And then it transitioned into a funky chorus that really clashed. Whenever I listen to it, I'm reminded of Gilda Radner and Steve Martin dancing in the dark on SNL. I tried to find that clip to embed, but it's strangely not posted anywhere, so here's the visual.

Yes, exactly. They should have worked this one out a little more.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:27 AM

^^^^^ I love this visual!