Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool I attended...

a public high school...and I remember when the school's "Teens For Christ" celebrated the national day of prayer stuff around the flagpole (Out in front of the school) they thought it was for ONLY those of the CHRISTIAN faith, not any other religious faiths.

It turned into a big deal very fast once the media became involved - and most of the public (IMO) seemed to favor the "Teens for Christ" opinion. WTH? Made me wonder what happened to "freedom of religion?" Typical 'Bible Belt' malarky.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 02-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So hard for me to imagine--I spent 13 years at a secular private all-girls school that ran far in the other direction. We were actually an incredibly preppy student body, but they (rightly) pushed diversity hard. Kwanzaa was given at least as much attention as Christmas in lower school even though only one girl in the class had any African ancestry, and she considered herself Hispanic and didn't celebrate Kwanzaa. I'm sure we 300 little white girls in uniforms looked ridiculous singing Siyahamba at our holiday program, but I loved the African songs we sang. Honestly, people probably would have had to fight the administration to start a Young Christians group.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I thought schools and religion were supposed to be separate in U.S. public schools. Still, at my son's school, they say a 'blessing' before going to the lunchroom. I wasn't thrilled when I heard that. I asked my son how he felt about it. (He's 8 now, when I first learned of this, he was 6). He said he was okay with it. Still, I felt that as parents, we should have been informed that this was being said in the classroom. What if our child believed in something other than Christianity? For the record, my husband and I are Wiccan. We have always let our son choose what he wanted to practice. He goes to a Baptist church with his grandfather.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
I'm so damn depressed that I can't stand it. I've struggled with this my entire life but lately it's so much worse. I have never shared much about my private life on the Ledge since I'm a very small fish in a large pond (I've been here over ten years and most posters don't even know my name). I just had to get this off my chest tonight and didn't have anywhere else to vent.

JTIS
I sincerely hope you feel better, Kimberly. I've always enjoyed your posts. I remember you from the BN board, too. Take care.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just wanted to say thank you to everybody for their kind words. I really feel strange that I even posted anything like that about myself. Keeping things on the inside has always been more my style. It was quite late and I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. Still, I really appreciate you guys.
I think it's brave to post about yourself. Really brave. I noticed that people who are able to talk openly about themselves are also the ones who are the most appreciated here. So you should go on. Or not, if you can't (i personally can't, cause i'm not brave at all).
I like your posts a lot, and your shyness/humbleness too.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Same with most of the USA, really. I went to a Pentecostal/Southern Baptist high school myself. We had Bible class daily, 2 hours chapel services every Friday (where we were screamed at, threatened, and guilted by a new traveling preacher every week), and the word of God even found it's way into our algebra books. So I know exactly the shoes you're in!
Ugh, I remember all too well my two years of middle school at a Baptist private school. I think it may have scarred me for life... it was that bad. And the most ridiculous aspect of it is that my family was anything but religious . Plus I had never stepped foot in a church in my entire life. So why did they send me to this place (under protest)? Da blacks. They didn't want me to attend the local public middle school, which had 90% black students. So they would rather have me subject to brainwashing and abject bigotry rather than, heaven forbid, going to school with black kids.

The Baptist school was horrible and racism was tacitly accepted, e.g., my douchebag social studies teacher called me his "little Asian friend." And of course back in the stone age, racial objectification was quite the norm, especially in a private school shielded away from the prying eyes of political correctness. And being a tiny little sh*thole of a school, the home economics teacher also taught science. So how does a Baptist school teach the theory of evolution? Easy. Evolution is a myth, and things like dinosaur skeletons and fossils were placed on earth because God wanted to give Man a riddle to solve. I kid you not. Needless to say, it is no pure accident that I am militantly agnostic today.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This would be funny if it weren't so SAD. I threw my lower back out this morning (first time in years- may have had something to do with the nicksfix chat last night). That's bad enough. Today is my mother's first day of chemotherapy and I am now IN a recliner next to her- LOL. It's only us and another woman way down on the other end. The nurse felt so badly for me- she asked if I wanted a heated blanket!

Only me.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
This would be funny if it weren't so SAD. I threw my lower back out this morning (first time in years- may have had something to do with the nicksfix chat last night). That's bad enough. Today is my mother's first day of chemotherapy and I am now IN a recliner next to her- LOL. It's only us and another woman way down on the other end. The nurse felt so badly for me- she asked if I wanted a heated blanket!

Only me.
I have so many memories of taking my Mom to chemo. All the nurses were so nice....

Keep us updated, on how's she's doing.

And I hope your back's better, soon!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
I think it's brave to post about yourself. Really brave. I noticed that people who are able to talk openly about themselves are also the ones who are the most appreciated here. So you should go on. Or not, if you can't (i personally can't, cause i'm not brave at all).
I like your posts a lot, and your shyness/humbleness too.
It's very difficult for me to express myself in almost any situation, so I usually don't and keep everything in. Lately things are just plain bad. I would never commit suicide for fear of hell (really dumb reason, I know). I would never subject my mother to that ordeal as well. Everyday I just go through the motions in life for others. I just need this pain to end. Wow, did that sound like a pity party or what? Sometimes I would like to slap some sense into myself. Hard.

And Krista, thank you for your words. You've always been one of my favorites.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's very difficult for me to express myself in almost any situation, so I usually don't and keep everything in. Lately things are just plain bad. I would never commit suicide for fear of hell (really dumb reason, I know). I would never subject my mother to that ordeal as well. Everyday I just go through the motions in life for others. I just need this pain to end. Wow, did that sound like a pity party or what? Sometimes I would like to slap some sense into myself. Hard.

And Krista, thank you for your words. You've always been one of my favorites.
. I think a lot of people are not aware of your situation, because you rarely talk about it. I'm not saying you should complain all the time, but i'm sure someone can help you. And it doesn't sound like a pity party. It's a natural thing people do when they feel down : they talk about it. (and we are "listening" to you, for sure ).
Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post

Only me.
Good Luck with your moms Chemo!!! and That sucks about rhowing out your back lol Its okay I sprained my neck once shaving my armpit...

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

JTIS...

That my school is rather annoying...they like never tell us when we have days off until the day and before...So today is Presidents Day and pretty much every school has no school so I figured I didnt have school(plus I had work at 3 and school doesnt get out til 3:30)...So I was asking my friends from school if we had school and I got different answers so I didnt go..Come to find out we DID have school!! Like WTF! Colleges and High School's have calendar's saying what holiday's you have off and my school doesnt "Private School" or not...Its not like we can email the owners anyway because they dont have emails(at least school ones)....

We have a comment and Suggestions box at school and I'll definatly be writing something!!! I had my mom write me a letter to excuse my absence.

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm ashamed of myself for liking a Cee Lo Green song. But goddamnit, F**k You aka Forget You is catchy as all hell.

“Yeah I’m sorry, I can’t afford a Ferrari, but that don’t mean I can’t get you there. I guess he’s an Xbox and I’m more Atari, but the way you play your game ain’t fair”

^ The nerd in me enjoys this quote.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jannie: Hope your mom's chemo goes over well today and that your back gets better. Hell, I once hurt my knee (and still have pain from it now and then) from having a stroller run into it

Caitlin: I was supposed to have school today, but my professor canceled my only class today (had to take her son to the doctor), so I got a free day

You can add me on Facebook
Old 02-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
Caitlin: I was supposed to have school today, but my professor canceled my only class today (had to take her son to the doctor), so I got a free day
YAY for free days!!! Too bad I really did have school today....

~Love, Caitlin~