User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireSister
But the difference is that when other people post things they state it as though it is an opinion whereas you have a way of stating your opinion as fact and people take issue with it. It's not what you say, it's how you say it my friend. You often claim to have "insider" information with no real evidence to support it nor do you respond when questioned often times.

I have NEVER claimed to have "insider information" and OBVIOUSLY anything anyone says in here is opinion. Especially in a thread titled opinions, huh? And I apologize if I don't always respond but I'm very busy.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
I have NEVER claimed to have "insider information" and OBVIOUSLY anything anyone says in here is opinion. Especially in a thread titled opinions, huh? And I apologize if I don't always respond but I'm very busy.
This isn't the first time you've stated your opinions this way. Yes, this is an "opnion" thread- but you do have a way as making things look like you consider them to be fact in all threads, not just this one.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

My unpopular opinions...

I don't think there should be a film made about Stevie's life.

I don't want to read her autobiography. I prefer a little mystery.

I don't like the way her visits to the troops have been portrayed, and I disagree with her statement that:

"I first went last summer in the middle of my tour. I was in Washington DC and they invited me and I really had no idea. I just went, Sure, I'm up for anything. I walked in there a fairly happy, single, 57-year old woman with no children - and I walked out a mother and a nurse and a doctor and girlfriend and sister and patients' advocate. From that moment I became a soldiers' advocate because they need it.

I have no comment or opinion about the war itself, but when those guys get back and are horribly injured then that is my business. But really, what can you do?"

is bizarre. If she is so concerned with these guys in hospital, surely she should have an opinion on the war. Her Florence Nightingale thing is a bit warped.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly
My unpopular opinions...

I don't think there should be a film made about Stevie's life.

I don't want to read her autobiography. I prefer a little mystery.

I don't like the way her visits to the troops have been portrayed, and I disagree with her statement that:

"I first went last summer in the middle of my tour. I was in Washington DC and they invited me and I really had no idea. I just went, Sure, I'm up for anything. I walked in there a fairly happy, single, 57-year old woman with no children - and I walked out a mother and a nurse and a doctor and girlfriend and sister and patients' advocate. From that moment I became a soldiers' advocate because they need it.

I have no comment or opinion about the war itself, but when those guys get back and are horribly injured then that is my business. But really, what can you do?"

is bizarre. If she is so concerned with these guys in hospital, surely she should have an opinion on the war. Her Florence Nightingale thing is a bit warped.
Interesting. I like your second opinion there.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My unpopular opinions...

I I have no comment or opinion about the war itself, but when those guys get back and are horribly injured then that is my business. But really, what can you do?"[/COLOR]

Stevie expressed some of her MOM'S opinions - not her own, her MOM'S - regarding all of this - last summer, in a letter to her fans which appeared on Nicksfix. (A "Journal Entry.") And there was just this EXPLOSION of angry protest, and people really slammed Stevie for it. Look also at the backlash aimed at Helen Hunt, Tim Robbins, and other famous stars who have dared to express an opinion about the war. So she's just simply learned the hard way to lay low and avoid expressing her opinions about this controversial topic. i.m.o.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've not heard anything about Helen Hunt or anyone else, so was not aware that celebrities were getting slammed. What I find strange and a little off-putting is the way she's getting into this nurse-maid thing.. and further in that same interview:

And you talk to the guys about their experiences.

I walk in and sit down on the bed and say, Move over, and tell me what happened to you. They need to tell you and get it out, and they do. You stay for 15 to 20 minutes, as long as you can, and you become extremely attached. Then I go home, write about it in my journal, and I go back again the next day.

It certainly makes you walk around and think, I have no problems because they have so many. It's going to take so long for many of them to come back to being any sort of normal at all.

I imagine some of these people open up more to you than they do to wives or partners because we often open up more to a stranger.

Absolutely, because I'm more neutral and at first people told me not to mince words, just go in and ask what happened because they need to tell people and it makes them feel better. It's like therapy.

So I sit there with my big eyes, listening and taking it all in. You try not to burst into tears because that's not going to help, so you put this thin plastic seal up where you can listen and discuss and be a sounding board without getting upset because they are so badly injured.

You found that hard the first time?

Very hard. I'd walk into the hallway and cry and then I'd suck it back up and go back, room after room after room. And when you come out they say, and in this room this boy... And in this room this girl ... I started to feel like what it must be like to be a doctor there. The doctors and nurses and techs are astounding. And what the doctors are doing in medical terms is amazing. The best place you could possibly be is at Walter Reed.

Yet despite seeing all this you have no comment on the war? These are the victims.

I can't have an opinion.

Why not?

Because I have to be there for them. And anyway, all the people I have talked to are very upbeat about what they were doing and would turn around and go back [to Iraq]. I've never talked to one soldier who wouldn't go back. They tell me stories about stuff that happened directly to them and you sit there with your mouth open.

If you made a statement against the war ... You would not be welcome there. You'd be Jane Fonda.

Yes. My job is when they get back and are in the hospital, then they are my responsibility. Them lining up and going is not my responsibility. But when they are back, if I can get a little of that mysterious, childlike innocence thing and give that to them, that's what I can do. I didn't have kids and I can look at them as my enormous group of fantastic children.

You also make healing music.

I try.

OK, if she doesn't want to talk about her opinion of the war, she shouldn't, of course. I love Stevie a lot, but this sounds all wierd to me... why is she doing this? They have psychiatrists etc for people suffering from shock and trauma, what is Stevie Nicks doing going in there all childlike and innocent and mysterious.. and writing in her journal about them and telling the media about it??? I find it strange? Is it just me?

Another unpopular Stevie opinion- I dislike the posting of the Journal Entries. I don't read them after I once read a few. It makes me uncomfortable.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK, if she doesn't want to talk about her opinion of the war, she shouldn't, of course. I love Stevie a lot, but this sounds all wierd to me... why is she doing this? They have psychiatrists etc for people suffering from shock and trauma, what is Stevie Nicks doing going in there all childlike and innocent and mysterious.. and writing in her journal about them and telling the media about it??? I find it strange? Is it just me?
I think it's attributable to Stevie's belief in the power of music to heal & to soothe. It goes back to her old Rhiannon: music as the pain pill, music as the miracle worker.

Stevie has always been (like most of us) very sympathetic to people in pain. So she goes to see these soldiers & brings them music.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've not heard anything about Helen Hunt or anyone else, so was not aware that celebrities were getting slammed. What I find strange and a little off-putting is the way she's getting into this nurse-maid thing.. and further in that same interview:

[
OK, if she doesn't want to talk about her opinion of the war, she shouldn't, of course. I love Stevie a lot, but this sounds all wierd to me... why is she doing this? . .

k, well, I'm definitely just taking a wild guess here but -
Here's a complete list of all the things Stevie did in order to try to help out soldiers returning home from the Vietnam War, or to protest against the war, from 1965 to 1980 (Rumours Era - walls of fancy hotels knocked out with wrecking balls - hotel rooms painted pink, send the bill to the record company - individual limos - life in the fast lane, sure to make you lose your mind - rememba?) Anyway here's the entire list of everything she did at that time:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So maybe she's trying to make up for things. And she really does seems like an extremely emotional person, sometimes - so this is just, very simply, her way of trying to help out, and a way to help her feel better about things. She feels very upset about what's been going on in the world, and helping out in this way is her little way of "fighting back."

I absolutely agree with what David said, too - she believes very strongly in the power of music to heal. There's actually some science behind that, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNicksRS01.jpg (42.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Ghost_Tracker; 03-14-2006 at 05:48 PM..
Old 03-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
k, well, I'm definitely just taking a wild guess here but -
Here's a complete list of all the things Stevie did in order to try to help out soldiers returning home from the Vietnam War, or to protest against the war, from 1965 to 1980 (Rumours Era - walls of fancy hotels knocked out with wrecking balls - hotel rooms painted pink, send the bill to the record company - individual limos - life in the fast lane, sure to make you lose your mind - rememba?) Anyway here's the entire list of everything she did at that time:
OK since America's involvement in Vietnam was from 1961 to 1975 how do you know what Stevie Nicks did or didn't do during that time? Wild guess is right on. And what do Rumours Era indulgences have to do with anything?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychCat
As much as I love her work with Fleetwood Mac, her solo stuff just doesn't do much for me. I did like Bella Donna alot but as they progressed they just got too "Stevie/Welsh Witch/Enchanting/over-produced.

She also gets on my nerves when she works the croaky voice.
Just sing!! Love. her. stuff. .... just the croaky things gets old. fast.

Makes HASTY retreat back to Christine board!!!
Who is Christine???
Old 03-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
No, Stevie, Mick & Lindsey were special guests for the Trojan halftime show at the USC-Arizona State playoff game at the Coliseum. It was October 1980, about three weeks after the Tusk Tour ended at the Hollywood Bowl. That's what that picture is from.

The Tusk video was shot in June 1979 at Dodger Stadium.
You ROCK David!!!!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. I was surprised to see so many "nays" for this song. I've always felt it was incredibly moving and that her passion was so vivid.
Granted the croaky repeats at the end are on the verge of over-drama but is totally saved with Lindsey's work.
Time for you to go BYE BYE!
Old 03-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow
You ROCK David!!!!
Yeah, literally! Have you heard my FM band?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw
OK since America's involvement in Vietnam was from 1961 to 1975 how do you know what Stevie Nicks did or didn't do during that time? Wild guess is right on. And what do Rumours Era indulgences have to do with anything?

Why wouldn't I? Do you think no one was alive back then or followed the news? Granted she MAY have between, say, 1961 and 1975 but - c'mon, now. Everyone knows she didn't, it's "common knowledge." Those were her "me years." Now she's trying to do something to "balance the equation out" - these are her "we years."
That's my opinion on it any way. I don't mean to be hostile or something, it's just that this seems like something that's pretty much known. Or maybe it's just an "unpopular Stevie opinion" that I happen to have.

"Eager for action hot for the game
The coming attraction, the drop of a name
They knew all the right people,
They took all the right pills,
They threw outrageous parties -
They paid heavenly bills.
There were lines on the mirror, lines on her face -
She pretended not to notice - she was caught up in the race.
Out every evening until it was light;
He was too tired to make it, she was too tired to fight about it and it was -

Life in the fast lane;
Surely make you lose your mind"

Last edited by Ghost_Tracker; 03-14-2006 at 09:57 PM..
Old 03-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
Why wouldn't I? Do you think no one was alive back then or followed the news? Granted she MAY have between, say, 1961 and 1975 but - c'mon, now. Everyone knows she didn't, it's "common knowledge." Those were her "me years." Now she's trying to do something to "balance the equation out" - these are her "we years."
That's my opinion on it any way. I don't mean to be hostile or something, it's just that this seems like something that's pretty much known. Or maybe it's just an "unpopular Stevie opinion" that I happen to have.
god - where do you get off? how in the WORLD do you know what she did or didn't do? her entire life has not been lived in front of a camera. you have no idea if she ever marched in a protest, or volunteered somewhere, or made a donation to a cause. you can hide behind saying "this is just my opinion" but i'm sorry - this is not how this post comes across. you write as if you are stating fact.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.