User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I adore you just as much, but I can't have you pointing out my (rare) spelling errors like that. It isn't right.

Bah you know you're really good when people start pointing out your least mistakes.

I get that at work all the time.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
My parents just wouldn't believe me when I told them. The initial reaction was so bad that I went back to trying to be straight for a few years. Sometimes I was really convinced that I was. When I knew there was no turning back, the whole thing was very traumatic for everyone involved, but things are so much better now and have been for the past couple of years. Still, there are some relatives who will never be okay with it and then there are others who don't know because I suspect they'll never be okay with it. Lately I've been thinking that if that's the way it works out, it would be best if they never knew, if they died thinking I'm straight. They drive me crazy with the whole "When is your wedding going to be, huh? Are you next?" and "When are you having a baby?"

Anyway...I'm sorry that no one else has had it easy. I'm glad that you all have found some peace of mind, whether your relatives came to terms with it or you distanced yourself from them for self-preservation.
A friend here had her parents pull her out of college when she came out to them. Like college made her gay and they could cure her or something. It must have been so awful.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
The first thing my mom said to me when I came out (after the "You're going to get AIDS speech ) was "You know you can never bring a guy home." At the time, I was ashamed of it, too. I was the outcast of the family. I was the one who never would have a big fancy wedding like all of my cousins.
Our "coming out" experiences are actually quite similar it seems.

I had actually been wanting to tell my folks for quite a while, and then my mother started putting things together (all of my friends were gay, me and one guy in particular were spending a lot of time together, and every now and then I'd get little gifts and tokens of friendship from some of my gay friends), and so she just flat-out asked me.
And as much as I had been wanting to tell her, my gut instinct was still screaming, "LIE!!! Tell her you're straight!"... but I took a deep breath and told her that, yes, I am gay.

So, of course, I got the big speech... "you could catch something fatal"... "gay people get beaten up and killed"... etc., etc.
I was also told, "your father and I want you to be happy, but I hope you know you can never date anyone while we're alive," and to not ever do "anything that could embarrass our family."

I walked around for a while as if someone had punched me in the stomach. But it got easier, and my mother became more accepting of my homosexuality (which I owe a great deal of debt to my brother for, because he talked to her a lot about it and how "Brian is still Brian").

At any rate, it is a bitch for gays in their teens and early 20s. As Tower said, the things that straight people take for granted, are so often denied us.

Quote:
I really, reall hope that future generations don't have it the same way we have at all.
That's why these political battles are so important... we have to make things better for the next generations, and fight the good fight until we don't need to fight anymore.
That's also why I feel it's important that those of us in our 30s, 40s, 50s, and so on, keep pushing for things like the recognition of same-gender civil unions and/or marriage... even if it's something that we don't want for ourselves, we need to work to ensure that future generations have more choices and rights and freedoms than we did/do.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:15 PM
GateandGarden
This message has been deleted by GateandGarden.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
When I was reading your story, I thought you made it up. It sounded all TV movie like, the way you described it. At first I laughed and thought you were clever, then I realized that of course you weren't making it up. Then I wondered if you saw it all in soft focus and golden light as you were thinking back...I totally imagined you sitting dejectedly against the wall...some poignant song went through my mind right then, I can't remember which...
Anyway, perhaps you should write a script.
I agree with Amber, you should write a script Sparky. I felt truthful emotions through the story you shared and IMO that is a great basis.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI

Last edited by Serrart; 11-16-2005 at 03:31 PM..
Old 11-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I missed this thread.

On my list, I have about four or five. I'm easily annoyed. This is why I need therapy/Prozac/anger management. =]

Last edited by xdreamsunwindx; 11-16-2005 at 04:04 PM..
Old 11-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdreamsunwindx
About four or five. I'm easily annoyed. This is why I need therapy/Prozac/anger management. =]
Either that or you're going through some normal adolescent stuff! Hang in there!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh God I can't imagine that! I would be devastated!
She was. The worst was she was finally having fun and enjoying her life getting comfortable with who she is. Stupid ignorance.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I had one person on my Ignore List all this time and now I've added TWO MORE to it.

Now that's progress!!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Awww, good for you, sweetie!