User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey Jr. View Post
Oh Daddy is the worst song on Rumours, Silver Springs is beautiful.
Oh Daddy is, to my way of thinking, the best song on Rumours....
Old 11-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

People who lump Tori Amos with Kate Bush have cauliflower eyes & ears -- & probably minds. Amos needs to get a sense of humor, for one thing. Nowhere in her crybaby music does one find the exotic, sophisticated irony & wit that suffuses "Kashka from Baghdad," "Violin," "Babooshka," "There Goes a Tenner," "Suspended in Gaffa," & on & on.

"Leave It Open" alone is about the best response imaginable to the dissembling politicos & their plebs in our hallowed halls of Congress.

Unfortunately, Kate's more recent work -- from, say, The Sensual World to the present -- mostly avoids British humor & scatology in favor of traditional feminist themes & music that's too precious & wispy & lush (though still often very gorgeous). It's probably Kate's more recent music from 1989 till now that makes silly girls think she's in any way equivalent to Tori Amos.
I'm not sure if Kate ever resorted to using scatological humor in her lyrics. If she has, please let me know about them! I (and Howard Stern) would be interested!

I do have to disagree that she has lost her sense of humor. For example, don't you love how she does her own Elvis impersonation in the verses of "King of the Mountain?" Or the absurdity of singing nothing but the first 150-ish decimals of pi in "(Pi)"? But I agree that shallow hacks like Tori Amos, et al. tend to grasp onto just one facet of the Kate oeuvre- what would appear to be precious girl-angst to some.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
The Best Ever Songs Rejected From Albums
"I Want To Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You", "This Boy", "I'll Get You"...left off The Beatles' With The Beatles album

"I Feel Fine" & "She's A Woman"...left off The Beatles' Beatles For Sale album

"Day Tripper" & "We Can Work It Out"...left off of The Beatles' Rubber Soul album

"Paperback Writer" & "Rain"...left off of The Beatles' Revovler album

"Hey Jude"...left off The Beatles' white album

"Don't Let Me Down"...left off The Beatles' Let It Be album

"Oh Well"...left off the ORIGINAL pressings of Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On album

"Dragonfly" & "Purple Dancer"...left off of Fleetwood Mac's Kiln House album.

"You & I, Part 1"...left off of Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night album

"Got No Home"...left off Fleetwood Mac's Behind The Mask album

"Statesboro Blues"...left off the Allman Brothers Band's debut album

"Wild Horses"...left off of Leon Russell's Stop All That Jazz album
Old 11-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
You lumped this piece of crap in all that classic music. You should be ashamed.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

I too loved Kate first, then Fleetwood Mac (Stevie in particular), and then Grace Slick (and Jefferson Airplane). But I'm still into Stevie and FM completely even though now Grace is there too.

And as far as Tori Amos goes, I have nothing against her. I don't actually see her as that similar to Kate. She's got her own style. Even if she's been greatly inspired by Kate, so what? I am comfortable and confident enough in Kate's complete and utter originality and unique-ness, that I have no problem with Tori doing her (somewhat similar at times) thing.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default The Best Ever Songs Rejected From Albums

Wasn't 'Gypsy' left over from Bella Donna? It's far better than anything on that album -in my opinion.

I prefer the outtake 'Joan of Arc' to Stevie's ropey contributions to Tango - except for Seven Wonders which is cute.

Under The Ivy is one of Kate's greatest songs but it doesn't seem to fit on Hounds Of Love. Maybe it could have blended into introspective The Sensual World better?

Why Kate versus Tori? - they both have their charms.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You lumped this piece of crap in all that classic music. You should be ashamed.
Compared to some of the Stevie Nicks penned tripe on the album, "You & I, Part 1" is phenomenal.

Nope...I'm never ashamed.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I don't know, I guess maybe because when I was about 11 years old, I had heard "Silver Springs" so many times on the radio (like from December 1976 until about April of 1977, in Connecticut, they played it a lot) and plus played the 45 (yes, the little 45 that you had to put the little yellow plastic thing in the middle of in order to play it on a turntable) so much that I was really shocked when I got the Rumours album and "Go Your Own Way" was on it but "Silver Springs" was not. So maybe I'm the only one on The Ledge who always thought of "Silver Springs" as belonging on Rumours, so maybe I'm the only one who was happy that it was included on the re-release. In fact, all the cassette tapes that I made for myself and for friends back then always included "Silver Springs", and the funny part is, I didn't know where to put it, so I always put it between Side 1 and Side 2, just where they put it on the re-release!!!!

The only disappointing thing about the re-release for me was that they used a remix, and not the mix that was on the 45. Oh, and also, the version of Gold Dust Woman has a "fade-in", but the version on my old album does not. This use of alternate mixes to me is "rewriting history", to use a phrase I've seen in this thread.

I have to say, I agree with someone's post that "Joan Of Arc" would have been great on "Tango In The Night", although I do love Stevie's two songs on that album ("Seven Wonders" is not a Stevie Nicks song; it's a Sandy Stewart song on which Stevie screwed up the words.)
Old 11-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Wasn't 'Gypsy' left over from Bella Donna? It's far better than anything on that album -in my opinion.
Mick said in his book that Stevie kept this song for the next Fleetwood Mac album. That's different from being left, but of course is Mick's opinion, though it makes sense to me.

my answer:
Silver Springs
You and I, part I
Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Mick said in his book that Stevie kept this song for the next Fleetwood Mac album.
Mick didn't say that. Stephen Davis said that, paraphrasing (out of context) a comment made in a Fleetwood Mac magazine article by David Gans.

Stevie recorded Gypsy a bunch of times with a bunch of musicians -- including numerous sessions with the Heartbreakers -- before tracking it with Fleetwood Mac for Mirage. I don't think that there's anything more than circumstantial evidence that she intended to include it on Bella Donna, but that circumstantial evidence is nonetheless strong.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

You and I Pt. 1 and Joan of Arc, both from Tango In The Night.

I love Tango so much as it is, but if they would have replaced You and I Pt 2 with Pt 1, and replaced When I See You Again with Joan Of Arc, it really would have been a killer album then! I might just have to burn my own version of Tango one day and give it a spin, and see how it sounds .
Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
This article/blog? is totally inane and shows no understanding for that album or music. Besides, the Dance version of SS is definitive. The 2004 reissue and re-writing of history is offensive (imagine: side one not ending with Songbird, side 2 not beginning with The Chain -- ridic). And IDWTK is the Go Your Own Way of side 2. And Oh Daddy is better than SS.
As I said in the first post, it's a blog entry on NME's website. The NME (or New Musical Express) is one of the UK's longest running music papers but they've also got an active, well updated website. Even though I don't agree with the writer, I don't see how it's inane. It was simply posted as a way to promote discussion among its users on its website and given that this thread is three pages long due to people discussing the same question, including yourself, it's obviously done its job.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
Yeah, I don't know, I guess maybe because when I was about 11 years old, I had heard "Silver Springs" so many times on the radio (like from December 1976 until about April of 1977, in Connecticut, they played it a lot) and plus played the 45 (yes, the little 45 that you had to put the little yellow plastic thing in the middle of in order to play it on a turntable) so much that I was really shocked when I got the Rumours album and "Go Your Own Way" was on it but "Silver Springs" was not. So maybe I'm the only one on The Ledge who always thought of "Silver Springs" as belonging on Rumours, so maybe I'm the only one who was happy that it was included on the re-release. In fact, all the cassette tapes that I made for myself and for friends back then always included "Silver Springs", and the funny part is, I didn't know where to put it, so I always put it between Side 1 and Side 2, just where they put it on the re-release!!!!

The only disappointing thing about the re-release for me was that they used a remix, and not the mix that was on the 45. Oh, and also, the version of Gold Dust Woman has a "fade-in", but the version on my old album does not. This use of alternate mixes to me is "rewriting history", to use a phrase I've seen in this thread.

I have to say, I agree with someone's post that "Joan Of Arc" would have been great on "Tango In The Night", although I do love Stevie's two songs on that album ("Seven Wonders" is not a Stevie Nicks song; it's a Sandy Stewart song on which Stevie screwed up the words.)
Any notable differences of the SS 45 and the mix that went on the rerelease?
I have the original YMLF/GDW and love that mix of GDW. I recall the ending wails and a certain guitar track were a lot louder. If you have it, listen to it right before the initial "ooh pale shadow" and you'll hear what I'm talking about. It adds an even more eerie and creepy tone to that song. I also bought a cassette tape of the album years ago and that mix was on there as well. It may have been on the 8-track version too.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
You and I Pt. 1 and Joan of Arc, both from Tango In The Night.

I love Tango so much as it is, but if they would have replaced You and I Pt 2 with Pt 1, and replaced When I See You Again with Joan Of Arc, it really would have been a killer album then! I might just have to burn my own version of Tango one day and give it a spin, and see how it sounds .
I loved "You and I pt.1" and was flabbergasted when I heard "pt.2" on the album. Would've preferred "Joan of Arc" over "Welcome to Betty Ford...Sara"
Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 AM
joe

How about "Garbo" left off of The Wild Heart?

How about "One More Big Time R&R Star" left off of RAL?