The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The documentary sounds great. Even better if he directed it himself. I think he has a certain talent for filmaking.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 09-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMtastic View Post
Here is what is in store:

Two albums.
A tour
A documentary

Not enough?
You totally missed my point. I was talking about the methods in which he is bringing forth his new material, not the amount.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly, I could care less about what methods he is using. The only thing I know about the documentary is what was written in that little article. I can't really complain about what may be on it, or assume to know what kind of footage will be included, etc. All I know is that he's made one, and I am super happy about it. The great thing is that Lindsey is out there and he's doing stuff and he seems pretty content in what he is doing artistically, and in his own life. He seems really focused and he's going out on the road and, well, I'll echo many people's sentiments: it's a fantastic time to be a Lindsey fan right now.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
You totally missed my point. I was talking about the methods in which he is bringing forth his new material, not the amount.
Methods? What do you mean? If I understood you right, you already decided that the documentary isn't going to show you what you want to see but you haven't seen it yet. Plus, my point to you was that of course he is going to let you see what he wants. He's got the control and it's not like the SWY documentary when three other people had to approve things.

For me, I think this is great news. I
Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I disagree with your perspectie. Castaway Dreams is a song full of sorrow and longing. "I have no faith today." First time I heard it I could tell it had something to do with life on the road and not being able to get home as much as he might like.

As for It Was You, it's very much a song about the wife too, as he is singing about her, specifically, and about their children. And by the way, Show You How has their relationship written all over it it too. I think this whole new set of songs that we haven't heard before is all about Kristen and the children.
I can see that. The first verse is all about how is sorry that he can't leave and go with her he has to stay, but it's lines like the following that puzzle me:

Keep yourself out of sight
Farewell to the wishes that died

Look for me in the mornin light
Dancin on my cast away dreams

Magic one
All our dreams are done

I have no faith today
Sun will rise
In your newborn eyes
Just let me slip away

Trying to interpret anyones lyrics is an impossible thing, the words will mean something different to everyone and most assuredly Lindsey's words. I do think this album is a dedication to his family and the happiness that they have brought to his life; it's very evident Lindsey is in a good place now and I hope he keeps on rolling it out. God knows there must be filing cabinets full of his unreleased work. I say bring it on Linds!!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumour0323 View Post
I can see that. The first verse is all about how is sorry that he can't leave and go with her he has to stay, but it's lines like the following that puzzle me:

Magic one
All our dreams are done

I have no faith today
Sun will rise
In your newborn eyes
Just let me slip away

Trying to interpret anyones lyrics is an impossible thing, the words will mean something different to everyone and most assuredly Lindsey's words. I do think this album is a dedication to his family and the happiness that they have brought to his life; it's very evident Lindsey is in a good place now and I hope he keeps on rolling it out. God knows there must be filing cabinets full of his unreleased work. I say bring it on Linds!!

Castaway Dreams struck me as an older song when I first heard it.
I agree...the songs are definately about the children and the happiness he has built with his family.

As for the documentary...if it is like DR, I will pass.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 09-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Ledgie

Quote:

Magic one
All our dreams are done

I have no faith today
Sun will rise
In your newborn eyes
Just let me slip away
Yes, I agree some of these lines are a puzzle, which I think is common in Lindsey's lyrics. I wonder if "keep yourself out of sight" is him talking to himself. Lindsey and Stevie tend to switch between first and second person in reference to themselves, and Stevie even uses the third person.

In the context of a marital fight, the lines make a little more sense: "I have no faith today" is the line that shines above the rest. It's a typical minimalist Lindsey line that expresses so much in so little. After a big fight with the one you love, you feel depressed, broken. Is that what he is saying there?

As for "magic one," I thought he was saying "magic wand," which I took to mean this wand sort of wiped away those dreams. If it's "magic one," it changes things a little, or maybe not.

Lindsey always throws us mystery lines in his songs, and he is doing it more now than earlier in his songwriting career. It keeps things interesting.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Methods? What do you mean? If I understood you right, you already decided that the documentary isn't going to show you what you want to see but you haven't seen it yet. Plus, my point to you was that of course he is going to let you see what he wants. He's got the control and it's not like the SWY documentary when three other people had to approve things.

For me, I think this is great news. I
I agree. All this negativity is truly pissing me off. Like you said, none of us have even seen said documentary and already it's being slagged off. At the end of the day it's a bonus to the records and tour. None of you have to watch it, but that one line did say it contains performances as well as a look at his life, and I for one am looking forward to seeing those at the very least.
Wow, I thought this was good news.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sharon

This is fantastic news, two albums, a tour and a documentary, maybe just maybe we will get a UK / Europe visit or gig.

Maybe the Lindsey fans cannot handle all this positive news after being starved of any news for many many years

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 09-21-2006, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
I agree. All this negativity is truly pissing me off. Like you said, none of us have even seen said documentary and already it's being slagged off. At the end of the day it's a bonus to the records and tour. None of you have to watch it, but that one line did say it contains performances as well as a look at his life, and I for one am looking forward to seeing those at the very least.
Wow, I thought this was good news.
It's amazing on this side of the ledge. But the negativity (also in other threads) comes bigtime from people who were nowhere the last couple of months. It looks like that they come and visit to spoil our pre-fun, just when things get exciting. Don't get me wrong, if you're not into the new songs you're free to share you're criticism, you know how I stand towards debate about music, but If I'm honest, stay away when you are here to out your negative opinion based on nothing. We've waited 14 years, I assume some can't handle this shower of Lindseyproduction.
BY the way, only one thing is sure: Under The Skin is coming out.

Last edited by shackin'up; 09-21-2006 at 06:27 AM..
Old 09-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All I can say is Kristen must be a saint. She has to endure almost two years of watching her husband practically eye f*ck his ex-ex-ex girlfriend for two hours a night, four nights a week and then when they do get into a fight.....this is the song she gets. WTF? Now ....if it had been, It Was You then yeah....good job Linds.....but CAD? It's a beautiful song, but I dont' hear I'm sorry, or I love you. This is almost as bad as his two dedications to her during the SYW tour.....WTWCT and Say Goodbye. If he was my husband I'd kick his ass.

(Then of course I'd kiss it and make it all better!)

As for IWY...I like how he names the kids...

Old 09-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'm not being negative at all just discussing. But I think around these parts, sometimes Lindsey is like a bad boyfriend. You know, the one that says he's going to call but never does and then when he does show up he's got flowers and candy and you take one look into those blue eyes and you just go....ok!
I will buy every CD and the documentary just to be able to lay my eyes on him for a hour, I've about worn out my Soundstage DVD.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:14 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I agree some of these lines are a puzzle, which I think is common in Lindsey's lyrics. I wonder if "keep yourself out of sight" is him talking to himself. Lindsey and Stevie tend to switch between first and second person in reference to themselves, and Stevie even uses the third person.

In the context of a marital fight, the lines make a little more sense: "I have no faith today" is the line that shines above the rest. It's a typical minimalist Lindsey line that expresses so much in so little. After a big fight with the one you love, you feel depressed, broken. Is that what he is saying there?

As for "magic one," I thought he was saying "magic wand," which I took to mean this wand sort of wiped away those dreams. If it's "magic one," it changes things a little, or maybe not.

Lindsey always throws us mystery lines in his songs, and he is doing it more now than earlier in his songwriting career. It keeps things interesting.
I'm not sure if he is really saying Magic "One" or not...it's just what I thought I heard...magic wand actually would make more sense. I guess we'll have to wait and see in 12 days!!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not sure if he is really saying Magic "One" or not...it's just what I thought I heard...magic wand actually would make more sense. I guess we'll have to wait and see in 12 days!!
I hear "magic one". I think that also changes the meaning....
I cannot wait to read the lyrics and decipher the chorus of IYW.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ooohhh, I'm looking forward to this documentary! I hope it's nice and long. I don't care if they edit it to give a certain impression (you have to take these things with a pinch of salt) as long as it's interesting and a decent length. The DR doc. was waaaayyy too short IMO.