User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
. . . I would love for him to be right on this one.
AND ANOTHER THING - it just kills me how everytime W seems to take a step forward, he nullifies that with inane behavior. For example, most experts agree the tax cuts provided a spark that ignited the economy. So, what does W do to kindle that - he borrows more money than we can pay back, which had the effect of smothering the newly developed economic flame and instead caused only the small fire we currently are seeing. He does this with everything - even Iraq. If you accept even in a hypothetical way the premise that war with Iraq was correctly started - the execuction of the war was botched from the beginning. I mean yes, Iraq is now having elections and that is a good thing, but the road there was so sloppy. Oh well, at least Halliburton made billions

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Me too. I wanted to hurl at that Smirking Judas.
You guys actually turned on your TVs for this? I can't stand either the sight or the sound of him. On the rare occasions when I'm listening to NPR and hear them play a clip of him speaking, I immediately turn off the radio. And he's one of the reasons why I just don't watch TV anymore. I'm afraid of catching a glimpse.

Trying to pretend he (and Republicans and Christians, in general) doesn't exist is the only way I know to keep from going on a murderous rampage.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hillary Clinton's facial expressions were priceless, especially after Bush said that his dad's two favorite 60 year olds were him and President Clinton.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
AND ANOTHER THING - it just kills me how everytime W seems to take a step forward, he nullifies that with inane behavior. For example, most experts agree the tax cuts provided a spark that ignited the economy. So, what does W do to kindle that - he borrows more money than we can pay back, which had the effect of smothering the newly developed economic flame and instead caused only the small fire we currently are seeing. He does this with everything - even Iraq. If you accept even in a hypothetical way the premise that war with Iraq was correctly started - the execuction of the war was botched from the beginning. I mean yes, Iraq is now having elections and that is a good thing, but the road there was so sloppy. Oh well, at least Halliburton made billions
He has us borrowing billions from China. He does not include the costs of the war(s) in his budgets! He is so full of it.

Sheehan is scheduled to be on Stephanie Miller tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas
You guys actually turned on your TVs for this? I can't stand either the sight or the sound of him. On the rare occasions when I'm listening to NPR and hear them play a clip of him speaking, I immediately turn off the radio. And he's one of the reasons why I just don't watch TV anymore. I'm afraid of catching a glimpse.

Trying to pretend he (and Republicans and Christians, in general) doesn't exist is the only way I know to keep from going on a murderous rampage.
This has been my policy for years. However, Ed Shultz had this monologue about how important it is to watch. So I gave it a shot and I just can't do it.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
A hopeful society depends on courts that deliver equal justice under law. The Supreme Court now has two superb new members, Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Sam Alito. I thank the Senate for confirming both of them.

This is why the Democrats will continue to be the minority party. With Bush thanking them, the average voter sees no difference between Dems and Repugs.
I didnt watch SOTU. if the man's lips are moving, he's lying. However, I dont see a direct correlation between Bush thanking the Senate and equating Dems with Repugs. The Senate has more Repugs than Dems, so, in effect, he's thanking his rank and file. no surprise there. But, from the emails Ive gotten from the various groups I subscribe to and the posts on various Dem boards (including your Democratic Underground) I sense a new sense of battle fever. I think I am seeing a new rallying spirit, and a different attitude than I certainly expected...just when I thought all was lost, and that I was going to give up on my party, I see a new determination from many sectors, and I am amazed, humbled and ashamed of my prior bout of despair.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just out of curiosity - do you all really think any sitting President would have allowed that live wire in their SOU speech

Moreover, does anyone here really think she was going to sit there with her mouth shut and not heckle the Pres.?.
Yes. the T-shirt spoke for itself, no further verbiage necessary.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
Yes. the T-shirt spoke for itself, no further verbiage necessary.
You are deluded once again. History demonstrates that woman does not know how to keep her mouth shut. But, if you want to think that - go right on ahead.

I mean you are the one that thinks the spooge stained dress keeping Monica Lewinsky had no bad intent, Clinton never helped her get a job, and Clinton never sent any of his people out to perpetuate his lie

Note - please do not confuse this with whether I think CS should have been allowed in there - I do. Interestingly, has CS said she was going to protest in "silence" and only with the shirt?

Old 02-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I couldn't watch it either...

I would love to see a stunt similar to the one the Yes Men pulled at a World Trade Organization meeting. It was hilarious. Has anyone caught that documentary?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Statistics indicate the economy is recovering I mean I do not want to give any undue accolades to W, whom I despise, but facts are facts. I do think, however, that the number of jobs created has been far less than the economic recovery figures suggest should have been created. Thus, it is a relatively jobless (or lower rate new jobs) economic recovery.

Here are some sites:

http://www.jobwatch.org/

http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/news/oped...ard_122203.htm

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature.../index_np.html

Again - I give no praise to W other than the facts indicate.
Well, I think its more of a mixed bag........
Manufacturing growth Slows
OIL CRUNCH Report

CNNMoney
Old 02-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
Well, I think its more of a mixed bag........
Manufacturing growth Slows
OIL CRUNCH Report

CNNMoney
That is my point. On average, businesses are doing better. However, they are not hiring at the point they "should" be and when they do hire, the jobs pay less - or current workers are being forced to take less to keep from being fired.

I personally think the economy is doing great when the high fuel costs are considered. High fuel costs effect every single segment of the economy.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

I only saw a snippet at a bar, normally try to avoid it. All that standing and clapping over a bunch of lies like "I'm going to double funding for teaching physical sciences", something like that. George Bush doesn't double funding for anything except war.

Then he said a doozy like "we are a better nation now, violent crime is down, and welfare recipients are cut in half".....right, because he and Clinton cut them all from the rolls.

His call for getting more AIDS money to the states: another lie. He talks about AIDS in every SOTU and never backs up his words with meaningful action.

As for Cindy Sheehan, she rocks my world. I don't care who she is aligned with; she is an ordinary person who has a personal reason to be against this unjust war, and works her ass off to do her part to end it. TIME got it wrong, she was 2005 person of the year.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interestingly, has CS said she was going to protest in "silence" and only with the shirt?
Here is her account of what happened:

Dear Friends,

As most of you have probably heard, I was arrested before the State of the Union Address tonight.

I am speechless with fury at what happened and with grief over what we have lost in our country.

There have been lies from the police and distortions by the press. (Shocker) So this is what really happened:

This afternoon at the People's State of the Union Address in DC where I was joined by Congresspersons Lynn Woolsey and John Conyers, Ann Wright, Malik Rahim and John Cavanagh. Lynn brought me a ticket to the State of the Union Address. At that time, I was wearing the shirt that said: 2,245 Dead. How many more?

After the PSOTU press conference, I was having second thoughts about going to the SOTU at the Capitol. I didn't feel comfortable going. I knew George Bush would say things that would hurt me and anger me and I knew that I couldn't disrupt the address because Lynn had given me the ticket and I didn't want to be disruptive out of respect for her. I, in fact, had given the ticket to John Bruhns who is in Iraq Veterans Against the War. However, Lynn's office had already called the media and everyone knew I was going to be there so I sucked it up and went.

I got the ticket back from John, and I met one of Congresswoman Barbara Lee's staffers in the Longworth Congressional Office building and we went to the Capitol via the underground tunnel. I went through security once, then had to use the rest room and went through security again.

My ticket was in the 5th gallery, front row, fourth seat in. The person who in a few minutes was to arrest me, helped me to my seat.

I had just sat down and I was warm from climbing 3 flights of stairs back up from the bathroom so I unzipped my jacket. I turned to the right to take my left arm out, when the same officer saw my shirt and yelled, "Protester." He then ran over to me, hauled me out of my seat and roughly (with my hands behind my back) shoved me up the stairs. I said something like, "I'm going, do you have to be so rough?" By the way, his name is Mike Weight.

The officer ran with me to the elevators yelling at everyone to move out of the way. When we got to the elevators, he cuffed me and took me outside to await a squad car. On the way out, someone behind me said, "That's Cindy Sheehan." At which point the officer who arrested me said, "Take these steps slowly." I said, "You didn't care about being careful when you were dragging me up the other steps." He said, "That's because you were protesting." Wow, I get hauled out of the People's House because I was, "Protesting."

I was never told that I couldn't wear that shirt into the Congress. I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things...I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later. I was immediately, and roughly (I have the bruises and muscle spasms to prove it) hauled off and arrested for "unlawful conduct."

After I had my personal items inventoried and my fingers printed, a nice Sgt. came in and looked at my shirt and said, "2,245, huh? I just got back from there."

I told him that my son died there. That's when the enormity of my loss hit me. I have lost my son. I have lost my First Amendment rights. I have lost the country that I love. Where did America go? I started crying in pain.

What did Casey die for? What did the 2,244 other brave young Americans die for? What are tens of thousands of them over there in harm's way for still? For this? I can't even wear a shirt that has the number of troops on it that George Bush and his arrogant and ignorant policies are responsible for killing.

I wore the shirt to make a statement. The press knew I was going to be there and I thought every once in awhile they would show me and I would have the shirt on. I did not wear it to be disruptive, or I would have unzipped my jacket during George's speech. If I had any idea what happens to people who wear shirts that make the neocons uncomfortable...that I would be arrested...maybe I would have, but I didn't.

There have already been many wild stories out there.

I have some lawyers looking into filing a First Amendment lawsuit against the government for what happened tonight. I will file it. It is time to take our freedoms and our country back.

I don't want to live in a country that prohibits any person, whether he/she has paid the ultimate price for that country, from wearing, saying, writing, or telephoning any negative statements about the government. That's why I am going to take my freedoms and liberties back. That's why I am not going to let Bushco take anything else away from me...or you.

I am so appreciative of the couple of hundred protesters who came to the jail while I was locked up to show their support....we have so much potential for good...there is so much good in so many people.

Four hours and 2 jails after I was arrested, I was let out. Again, I am so upset and sore it is hard to think straight.

Keep up the struggle...I promise you I will too.

Love and peace soon,
Cindy

http://michaelmoore.com/mustread/print.php?id=594

Old 02-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

I just heard that a wife of a Republican congressman was taken out of the Capitol for wearing a shirt that says "Support Our Troops".
Old 02-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She's suing the government, that's great, but it won't go anywhere. Still, it is worth the fight. People in the US should not be arrested for wearing a t-shirt! What was her crime?