Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks catinthedark & ontheEdgeof17!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

WoW.

Well done. Very moody. Feel free to send me a signed and numbered edition.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Oh, she almost never paints. And of course it's art!
lino block carving...is that carving for printmaking?
no, i mean for people who wouldn't understand your mom's work cause its not the cliche idea of what art is (does that make sense? )

Yeah, lino block is a piece of linolium on wood, its easier to carve out... then you ink it up & make prints...
Old 09-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
WoW.

Well done. Very moody. Feel free to send me a signed and numbered edition.
Thank you very much
Old 09-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh WOW !

Nice work ! I love owls. You are very talented.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah...they look kind of sad...but not how a human would be sad. I dunno, they're very "owly" to me....with a little extra depth. It's hard (for me) to describe, I just think they're very "real owl" with all the depth that could entail, if you really see the owl. But you chose an owl on purpose, for all the emotions "owl" can encompass. (Did that sound totally lame? It's hard for me to describe, sorry.)

Yeah, four days. looking at the detail, I expected as much. Seriously, the cityscape is fabulous.
No, you made sense.... no they're not human-like, but the emotion is human & the fact that these particular owls (Barred Owls) have a very lonesome expression to me, Great Horned Owls are a bit on the scary side (i'm not an owl expert or anything, i had to look up stuff )
Old 09-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation My whole family is artistic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyNomad
my mom was actually going to be an artist, but now she's just a makeup artist

) I've already developed my own style though, that i've been working at since age two.
My late Mother designed her own quilts (Her infamous 50 state birds of the US is laying beside me at this moment...And her very infamous 'black" Raggedy Anne & Andy's were popular with her friends of color, I have one of the last 2 pairs she ever made and I now own all of her sewing equipment) and made her own Christmas tree decorations from plaster (Which reminds me I still need to go to her home and find her trunks which were filled with those decorations...Those belong to us, her children. I will probably need three 8' trees just for her handmade decorations.)

My older brother Bill is very artistic...Has a great knack for fantasy art, He would be great and well known if he would pull his head out of the drug/alcohol haze and apply himself.

My older brother Geary is also artistic, He used to be a very good artist, But is a much better draftsman...One of the best I know (He is no longer a draftsman).

I used to study in hopes to someday be a professional artist (My Uncle was a professional who painted absolutely mindblowing psychedelic pieces that would have been art gallery quality if it wasnt for the fact he was a prisoner in a Federal prison), But too much BS in my life sidetracked that dream...So please, Never get discouraged and give up on your art, I am slowly trying to get back into my artwork (Which I havent done in over 15 years) and it is hard trying to find that love that I lost (Not to mention my illness has definitely affected my ability.)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
no, i mean for people who wouldn't understand your mom's work cause its not the cliche idea of what art is (does that make sense? )
Oh! yes, very insightful. Plus where my mom lives, most people would want to buy...uh...cute pictures of ducks, or dogs playing poker, or something lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsynomad
No, you made sense.... no they're not human-like, but the emotion is human & the fact that these particular owls (Barred Owls) have a very lonesome expression to me, Great Horned Owls are a bit on the scary side (i'm not an owl expert or anything, i had to look up stuff )
Ah, good job. Yes, a different kind of owl would have made a different impression (especially a great horned).
BTW - that one stevie ink piece you did is still number one. If it rates "tattoo consideration" it must be good. I can't believe how you got the expression just right. I really thought you copied it, or something, it was that good.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-14-2005, 01:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
My late Mother designed her own quilts (Her infamous 50 state birds of the US is laying beside me at this moment...And her very infamous 'black" Raggedy Anne & Andy's were popular with her friends of color, I have one of the last 2 pairs she ever made and I now own all of her sewing equipment) and made her own Christmas tree decorations from plaster (Which reminds me I still need to go to her home and find her trunks which were filled with those decorations...Those belong to us, her children. I will probably need three 8' trees just for her handmade decorations.)

My older brother Bill is very artistic...Has a great knack for fantasy art, He would be great and well known if he would pull his head out of the drug/alcohol haze and apply himself.

My older brother Geary is also artistic, He used to be a very good artist, But is a much better draftsman...One of the best I know (He is no longer a draftsman).

I used to study in hopes to someday be a professional artist (My Uncle was a professional who painted absolutely mindblowing psychedelic pieces that would have been art gallery quality if it wasnt for the fact he was a prisoner in a Federal prison), But too much BS in my life sidetracked that dream...So please, Never get discouraged and give up on your art, I am slowly trying to get back into my artwork (Which I havent done in over 15 years) and it is hard trying to find that love that I lost (Not to mention my illness has definitely affected my ability.)
Wow.... you've got a whole family of artists! It's wonderful that your mom did all those things... precious creations that you'll keep close to you always Please, please don't give up your art..... i did from ages 11-15 cause my family was very cruel to me about it.... told me it would amount to nothing I mean this was something i had been doing since i was two. When i was 16 & had enough money to buy cds, Stevie's music really got me through all that crap & inspired me to draw again. You WILL find your love for it again.... i promise If you ever need advise, or want to show me some of your work, i'd be more than happy to help.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:14 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Ah, good job. Yes, a different kind of owl would have made a different impression (especially a great horned).
BTW - that one stevie ink piece you did is still number one. If it rates "tattoo consideration" it must be good. I can't believe how you got the expression just right. I really thought you copied it, or something, it was that good.

I'm a perfectionist, so i'm totally obsessive with likeness
Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I'm a perfectionist, so i'm totally obsessive with likeness
likeness?! to nail someone's (or some animal's) expression perfectly seems extremely difficult for me.
But then, most of my drawings have no feet or hands, cause I can't figure that out. Also, the elbows usually look really crappy. The dress or outfit usually looks pretty good, though.
Here's nearly the penultimate of my drawing ability. Notice the lack of hands, feet, and elbows. I drew this because I happened across a James Bond movie (Roger Moore, barf) and the girl was wearing this dress I absolutely loved. Just for reference, this dress had "diamonds" around every edging, and it was black velvet. It really had that low crossback, though, which is AWESOME!. And the skirt looked like that, too, I think. Also, I love greekstyle cross up the ankle shoes.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 09-14-2005 at 02:25 AM..
Old 09-14-2005, 02:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
likeness?! to nail someone's (or some animal's) expression perfectly seems extremely difficult for me.
But then, most of my drawings have no feet or hands, cause I can't figure that out. Also, the elbows usually look really crappy. The dress or outfit usually looks pretty good, though.
Here's nearly the penultimate of my drawing ability. Notice the lack of hands, feet, and elbows. I drew this because I happened across a James Bond movie (Roger Moore, barf) and the girl was wearing this dress I absolutely loved. Just for reference, this dress had "diamonds" around every edging, and it was black velvet. It really had that low crossback, though, which is AWESOME!. And the skirt looked like that, too, I think. Also, I love greekstyle cross up the ankle shoes.
Hey! Those are actually really lovely contour drawings! We do them alot with models.... you definitely have the proportions right... despite your lack of hands & feet... don't worry i struggle with that alot too! The bottom one looks like a fashion illustration to me!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hey! Those are actually really lovely contour drawings! We do them alot with models.... you definitely have the proportions right... despite your lack of hands & feet... don't worry i struggle with that alot too! The bottom one looks like a fashion illustration to me!
Thanks! I'm mainly only proud of my rendering of calf muscles in this case. (within the very limited scope of my "abilities" of course!)

Old 09-14-2005, 02:35 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
Oh WOW !

Nice work ! I love owls. You are very talented.
Thanks! (didn't mean to forget you )
Old 09-14-2005, 02:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks! I'm mainly only proud of my rendering of calf muscles in this case. (within the very limited scope of my "abilities" of course!)
I reckon they're the best damn calf muscles in town! (i think i hang out with my southern friend too much!) Seriously, they're really good....