User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
While you may encounter those types of people, to say that they are the majority of this country is absurd, imo. The people of this country take so many things for granted that it's kind of funny. I bet half of them don't even realize what a luxury it is to have supermarkets; to them, it's just there. They can walk into a store and come out with 87 different sodas, all the meat and produce they want, and whatever else their heart desires. I doubt any of them take the time to think of how incredibly lucky they are to have such a thing. They're so used to it that they don't pay it any mind. And then they get pissed if they don't have a certain type of fish or cheese in stock.
I respectfully disagree. I think it is possible to realize how good you have it AND simultaneously "get pissed if they don't have a certain type of fish or cheese in stock" I mean who here has not been thankful for all of their blessings and at the same time become impatient while waiting in line, etc. Thus, I do not think equating the two in any way is a genuine comparison.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I respectfully disagree.
That makes two of us.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of Rwanda, did you see Hotel Rwanda yet, Amber? Great movie.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. I think it is possible to realize how good you have it AND simultaneously "get pissed if they don't have a certain type of fish or cheese in stock" I mean who here has not been thankful for all of their blessings and at the same time become impatient while waiting in line, etc. Thus, I do not think equating the two in any way is a genuine comparison.

Right - I literally count my blessings every night and everyday I am SO thankful for EVERYTHING I have...

On the flip side I also try very hard not to be attached to my material possesions - because that is not the most importatnt thing to me...if I lost all I owned it wouldn't be the end of the world ya know?

BUT I also know there are people who take things for granted...but there will always be people like that....I guess lately I'm taking more of the approach of trying to improve myself and not worrying to much about those around me who may have their heads up their asses.....

I do like to help others though who aren't as fortunate as I have been....

But I think there are a lot of Americans who are SO thankful for what they have....

BUT as Jason said that doesn't mean that I don't get annoyed when I can't find the cereal I like or the milk I like somewhere - it's a minor inconvenience - not the end of the world....I realize there are people living in boxes in the dessert who have no milk or cereal - but yeah I think I can be a conscious human being who is thankful for what I have etc...while still sometimes being annoyed at life's inconveniences
Old 04-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
That makes two of us.
I'm mainly struck by one of (I think) your points, which is also what I think, and that "America" is far more likely to intervene in a good way if our interests are threatened, or people are threatened in an area where we have lots of interests. Not saying we are more bad than good, or that we don't do good things, but I think we are far more likely to do so if it benefits us. Which of course, leaves countries we don't care about kinda f****d, - As a country, we have also ignored many heinous things that we could have done something about. JMO.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Sheebus

I thank God that I am blessed to live in this country, a country that people are willing to DIE to get into.

I was gonna say you were generalizing, but Jason beat me to it.

If you don't like it here, go live somewhere else. I'd love to live in England, if even for a year. I would love to live in Canada for a year, perhaps Australia. That would be awesome. I was born and raised in America, so it's my home. We have done great things, we have done horrible things. That's everywhere.

I get that Americans are either not liked much or hated by the rest of the world because of our so-called arrogance, but perhaps those people should come to America and experience it before saying anything. Come live here for a year...there's good, bad and ugly. Soooooo very ugly.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Which of course, leaves countries we don't care about kinda f****d, - As a country, we have also ignored many heinous things that we could have done something about. JMO.
Totally agree, not that I want to get heavily involved in this I wouldn't bash the US for this kind of thing - the UK are every bit as guilty (both countries have strangely similar ideas lately )

I would also say that we are still ignoring many heinous things that we could do something about - e.g. Zimbabwe, Burma... but then of course, what have those countries got to offer us?
Old 04-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interestingly, for the Americans who go to Church, they are reminded every Sunday that they are to be thankful for what they have and to share their good fortune. I suggest the numbers indicate many many Americans share in one way or another. For example, leaving change in the boxes at various stores, giving old clothing and other items, checks to charities, etc. I think when people do thin, it reminds them of how good they have it. Are there people are totally self-centered - probably. But, I think they are outnumbered by people who give away their things because they know otheres are less fortunate. Do they give until it hurts? Well that is not really the point and that also is a subjective standard I would never want applied against me

Old 04-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But, back to the topic at hand. How do we secure our borders? It is not an easy task considering the land borders

Old 04-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847

If you don't like it here, go live somewhere else. I'd love to live in England, if even for a year. I would love to live in Canada for a year, perhaps Australia. That would be awesome. I was born and raised in America, so it's my home. We have done great things, we have done horrible things. That's everywhere.
So, I should have to move simply because I don't like a lot of the things our government turns a blind eye to? Gawd, I'd be petrified to see exactly where this country would be today if it weren't for people who disliked what our government did and then tried to change it. It wouldn't be pretty.

And just because horrible things have been done everywhere, it doesn't excuse the bad things we've done or somehow make them any less significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I get that Americans are either not liked much or hated by the rest of the world because of our so-called arrogance, but perhaps those people should come to America and experience it before saying anything. Come live here for a year...there's good, bad and ugly. Soooooo very ugly.
Why do they have to come here to experience it when they're already experiencing the effects of our actions?

Old 04-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
. . . we have also ignored many heinous things that we could have done something about. JMO.
I disagree (respectfully ) - the US give tons of aid to African nations that have nothing to offer us

But, if we accept your statement as true and assume all are in the same need, clearly we have only a finite amount to give. Is it wrong to give that to people who can help us (if that is indeed what is going on). I do not know the answer to this question.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, back to the topic at hand. How do we secure our borders? It is not an easy task considering the land borders
It's not an easy task when our government won't properly fund measures to secure our borders.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not an easy task when our government won't properly fund measures to secure our borders.
Yep! But, if they had the funds, what should they do more than they are doing now?

Old 04-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I disagree (respectfully ) - the US give tons of aid to African nations that have nothing to offer us

But, if we accept your statement as true and assume all are in the same need, clearly we have only a finite amount to give. Is it wrong to give that to people who can help us (if that is indeed what is going on). I do not know the answer to this question.
The thing is there's aid, which is obviously great, and the US gives more than any other country - but there's also stuff going on with dictators and dictatorial regimes, like Zimbabwe and Burma. Why should Iraq be any different when there are people in these countries being treated worse than animals?
Old 04-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What about when almost a million were killed in Rwanda? We did essentially nothing. And please note, I'm not laying all of the blame on America, it also falls on the UN, France, Italy, etc.