Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I call him Liddy
I love that! No doubt I'll start calling him that too!
TITN is my favourite right after Tusk. I must say that I love all the tracks (including the non-album B-sides), although WISYA I can sometimes find unlikable (it tends to hop up and down my FM song preferences rather a lot... ). I guess I'm a fan of the 80s more than the 70s...
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
Heh, me and my friend call him Buck for short.. but Bucko? Wow.
He actually calls him (Sir) Buck at the end of the paragraph on That's All For Everyone

"hey, way to go bucko finally a song I can enjoy by him teehee listen to those lovely vocal timbres i sure do love you bucko wait did he just say sexy :@ oh wait "just exactly" way to enunciate sir buck teehee listen to those marimbas so great way to go bucko nice job indeed"
Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
I'm curious why you expected it to be a disaster? Glad it's better than you expected, though!
Tusk has a pretty notorious reputation don't you think? Perhaps it's different inside the FM fan collective but it's always been described quite dubiously whenever I've heard about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
He had to be. The rest of the band... Stevie in particular... seemed to be on permanent vacation at the time the record was made.
Ha. Christine wasn't.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
Tusk has a pretty notorious reputation don't you think? Perhaps it's different inside the FM fan collective but it's always been described quite dubiously whenever I've heard about it.
95% of the things I read about it outside of FM groups is favorable. Critically, everyone seems to recognize it as the album that didn't get the due it deserved when it debuted. That's the way I think it's viewed in music circles. As for casual listeners, I'm not sure they even know about Tusk enough to comment on it favorably or negatively.

Michele
Old 02-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
95% of the things I read about it outside of FM groups is favorable. Critically, everyone seems to recognize it as the album that didn't get the due it deserved when it debuted. That's the way I think it's viewed in music circles. As for casual listeners, I'm not sure they even know about Tusk enough to comment on it favorably or negatively.

Michele
Don't use arbitrary percentages. Just say "most."

I guess I'm referring to the due it didn't get when it debuted. It's always been known as a massive let down from Rumours and I suppose that's why I never sought it out.

It doesn't really matter though because I really enjoyed it.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don't use arbitrary percentages. Just say "most."
Most wouldn't suffice because I don't mean approximately 51% of the things I read. "Most" could mean a little more than half and that's not been my experience. I mean 95% of what I read and that's why I said it.

Michele
Old 02-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Most wouldn't suffice because I don't mean approximately 51% of the things I read. "Most" could mean a little more than half and that's not been my experience. I mean 95% of what I read and that's why I said it.

Michele

I'd like to see your mathematical calculations that brought you to 95%?

Do you have a pie chart somewhere of every conversation and review that you've ever read of Tusk? Is there room for error based on reviews you haven't read or have you done an extensive research undertaking to find every opinion of Tusk possible? Are the reviews judge qualitatively or quantitatively?

Just kidding, I just don't like when people use arbitrary percentages to gauge opinions. And "most" does not equal 51% (which would be best described as "half"). Most would cover everything from 75%-99%. Anything after that would be be "all."

Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guess I'm referring to the due it didn't get when it debuted. It's always been known as a massive let down from Rumours and I suppose that's why I never sought it out.
In 1979, TUSK had detractors -- general listeners & DJs -- but it also had avid supporters -- much of the rock press, for example.

Robert Hilburn of the Los Angeles Times called it one of the best pop-rock albums of the year, & it was lauded by other major critics, like Ken Tucker, David Gans, & Stephen Holden. Reading through this site's Blue Letter Archives is an eye-opening corrective to the common myth that TUSK was widely pissed on in 1979. It really wasn't, not even in relation to RUMOURS (which itself was frequently pissed on critically in 1977).

I think what gave TUSK its negative stature was the story, played over & over, that it wasn't selling anywhere near what RUMOURS sold. That had it conceptualized as a failure.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The band that made TITN might as well have been a different band that made Tusk. Both albums are excellent in their own way, but Tusk has urgency, has genuine artistic vision. TITN sounds like a well-orchestrated albeit calculated bid for the charts.

I remember first hearing TITN and being impressed with Buckingham's work on it and horrified by Stevie's contributions. I was most eager to hear Christine's material, which was well-written and well arranged. It took me a while to get used to the way her vocals were produced, particularly on Isn't it Midnight, where her voice seems like its filtered through an echo chamber or something. I always preferred her live vocals of that song.

Little Lies was always a great tune, IMO.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Ha. Christine wasn't.

Yeah Christine was spot on as well.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post

Yeah Christine was spot on as well.
Yeah it seemed like Buckingham and McVie spent a lot of time together writing and putting the record together...

I'm almost sure in my head that he said.. "Christine, this is my last record. I can't take it anymore."

Of course officially that was never said...
Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

I'm almost sure in my head that he said.. "Christine, this is my last record. I can't take it anymore."

Of course officially that was never said...
But she must have sensed he felt that way, even if it wasn't ever verbalized and Little Lies was her response. Michele
Old 02-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
but I prefer Mirage overall. Mirage is still band album to me, even if it sounds like they're not as much of a unit after Tusk, but I can still hear each member's contributions. I don't hear a whole lot of John or Mick signature sounds in TITN.

I could just say my main beef with TITN is that it's.. overproduced. Yeah, that sounds better.
What you said.

Mirage at least sounds like a BAND playing. Tango is too perfect, and it's perfect to a fault. Every note sounds computer generated, or at least computer perfected(which I'm sure it is).

Too bad that computer couldn't write some decent songs for Stevie to sing!
Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'd like to see your mathematical calculations that brought you to 95%?

Do you have a pie chart somewhere of every conversation and review that you've ever read of Tusk? Is there room for error based on reviews you haven't read or have you done an extensive research undertaking to find every opinion of Tusk possible? Are the reviews judge qualitatively or quantitatively?

Just kidding, I just don't like when people use arbitrary percentages to gauge opinions. And "most" does not equal 51% (which would be best described as "half"). Most would cover everything from 75%-99%. Anything after that would be be "all."

No most technically means 51% or higher. If you have two or more options....in this case favorable or unfavorable....whichever option has more than the others has the most. So saying, of the reviews that Michele has read, most of them were favorable simply means that more were favorable than unfavorable. Isn't your 75% mark arbitrary itself??
Old 02-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just picked up a copy of Tango on vinyl for £3 - gotta love ebay! Now I just need Fleetwood Mac and Mirage to have all the Rumours era line-up on vinyl.

Someone did tell me once that Say You Will got a vinyl release but I highly doubt this, the cost of producing one would have been too expensive to justify the returns - especially if they werworried about who was going to buy it on cd in the first place, as per Stevie's comments in Destiny Rules. I could be wrong though, does anyone know anything about a vinyl SYW?

Sorry for clogging up a Tango thread with that by the way.