User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
^ Agreed. It's really not only about how the particular candidate feels about certain things - it's how he/she can & will affect the laws of the nation.

Strand - I think that Bush may have inspired (shudder) many in the republican party, but I do not feel he inspired the country, esp. in '04. IMO, he was voted in for a second term because many people thought if they did not do so, the U.S. would look weak & indecisive about who we wanted to lead our nation. They were stilll scared. This man started a war, and was still hunting for the terrorists, still promising to smoke them out of their holes. "Stay the course, vote for me so we can get the job done, blah blah blah." And people bought it. They BOUGHT it. They figured "well, he got us into this, let's make him get us out." Well, we sure f*cked that up, didn't we?

Howard Dean? Are you kidding? Sure the Dem PARTY was excited about him, but the voters weren't really - not nearly as much as they are for Obama. I'm not fooling myself into thinking that Obama's going to get in there & clean house & make everything better right away. But it's worth a shot - I want to believe that his passion is true, and I trust him a hell of a lot more than any other candidate. I hope that with the Dems in congress, they can get some things done without having a pissing contest over it until it dies.

BTW - Edwards is supposedly dropping out of the race at 1pm EST.
ITA with your post. This is exactly why I think Bush won in 2004, along with the fact that he catered to a lot of conservative Christians. I remember them saying that a lot of people also voted because of moral issues.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamz19 View Post
I remember them saying that a lot of people also voted because of moral issues.
Oh that IS a biggie. A lot of people (and these people scare me) vote SOLELY on the abortion and gay marriage issues. Issues that, in the grand scheme of things, are not what matter. They often don't look at the economy, health care, infrastructure etc - and vote solely on moral issues. It pisses me off that it happens - but, hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just hate when the "moral voters" "morals" start to infringe on MY life, know what I mean?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
He's out:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/...rds/index.html

Tha figures. I just did one of those "which candidate best matches you" quizes & Edwards was my leader. Followed closely by Obama, then Hillary.
Same here.

If you at least understand the difference between republicans and democrats, by all means, go vote. I think it's worse if you don't vote simply because you haven't bothered to get familiar with each individual party. You know the basics, every human being with an ounce of intelligence knows what it's about, and really, it's about the only damn thing you're still allowed to do in this so called democracy. Go let yourself be heard.

Yikes, now I am starting to sound like my dad.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Finally!!! THIS is what I've been looking for. And go figure, it's by a local high school student - I saw it on the new last night.

http://youngamericanvoters.com/