The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=aleuzzi;1185743]Stevie sang on Little Lies, obviously, but she also sang on Everywhere. I can clearly hear her on the chorus, particularly the last line of it. She doesn't really sing on any other Tango tunes except her own. She may or may not be that weird voice on Family Man--I think it's her.

In response to someone else's observation that Stevie doesn't really sing much or at all on Lindsey and Christine's Mirage tunes, I would say Love in Store is a notable exception. Her harmonies on that really give that song an added glow

I know she sang on Love in Store .I was referring to all the other Buckingham/McVie tracks on Mirage. It's going to be very interesting to hear the early versions of the Mirage tracks. If Stevie is prominent on these I definetly
see a pattern. Oh Daddy, You Me Loving Fun, I Know I'm not Wrong.....
Old 06-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Ledgie

Stevie is clearly heard on "Everywhere." They layered her in toward the end of sessions.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
She's very prominent in the concert version from the Tango tour. I always liked her in the chorus. I always loved her harmonies in the alternate version of You Make Loving Fun as well.
I love her in the chorus too! In fact, there is a demo of Everywhere with her singing the chorus like she did in the Tango tour, so I believe it may have originally been recorded that way until they took her off.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Re: demo of Everywhere with Stevie in chorus
I would love to hear that! After hearing the live version with that part it sounds "right".
Old 06-25-2016, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
If Stevie was only in studio for 2 weeks , AFTER Betty Ford, why is Lindsey stating that the studio experience was so miserable? Were the other 3 still party mongers? Or was that an excuse for pulling out? Does anyone have any insight into this?
Mick was bombed out of his butt at Lindsey's house, the story goes. There's even some polaroids floating around of Mick looking like hell. I think the level of craziness and lack of commitment to a group project were really bothering Lindsey. He said once that going on the road is an amplification of any of the problems you encounter in the studio, which seems to be true and to have affected Lindsey's desire to tour that year.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This thread has made me listen to Tango a few times over the past month or so. One interesting part that is a glimpse into history is Stevie's swipe at her former management company Frontline. Today Mick and Stevie tell the story of how Stevie did a successful stint at Betty Ford and everything turned out fine. Wrong! If you were paying attention in 1986 you remember that Stevie's management pressured her big time to check into rehab. She did it reluctantly even though she talks today that she was her own hero in this process. Stevie also left Betty Ford before she was supposed to and called the place "really dumb." She was there for 28 days. Who ever heard of a 28 day rehab? I would think the minimum would be months or even 30 days LMAO. Her quick addiction to tranquilizers shows her escaping after 28 days was not that successful. Her writing in Doing the best that I can is also called "Escape from Berlin" for a reason. She was so miserable and drama queen that she had no problem saying she "escaped." In the song "Welcome to the room Sara" she sings .."of course it was a problem....Frontline" After "escaping" rehab Stevie immediately fired Frontline management and put this song and lyrics on Tango.
She blamed others for making her go to miserable rehab and took revenge on them. This is why I take her statements about friends concerned about her and why she took Klonopin with a grain of salt. Addicts frequently love to replace one drug with another.
I just hate the re-writing of history

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-25-2016 at 04:55 PM..
Old 06-25-2016, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This thread has made me listen to Tango a few times over the past month or so. One interesting part that is a glimpse into history is Stevie's swipe at her former management company Frontline. Today Mick and Stevie tell the story of how Stevie did a successful stint at Betty Ford and everything turned out fine. Wrong! If you were paying attention in 1986 you remember that Stevie's management pressured her big time to check into rehab. She did it reluctantly even though she talks today that she was her own hero in this process. Stevie also left Betty Ford before she was supposed to and called the place "really dumb." She was there for 28 days. Who ever heard of a 28 day rehab? I would think the minimum would be months or even 30 days LMAO. Her quick addiction to tranquilizers shows her escaping after 28 days was not that successful. Her writing in Doing the best that I can is also called "Escape from Berlin" for a reason. She was so miserable and drama queen that she had no problem saying she "escaped." In the song "Welcome to the room Sara" she sings .."of course it was a problem....Frontline" After "escaping" rehab Stevie immediately fired Frontline management and put this song and lyrics on Tango.
She blamed others for making her go to miserable rehab and took revenge on them. This is why I take her statements about friends concerned about her and why she took Klonopin with a grain of salt. Addicts frequently love to replace one drug with another.
I just hate the re-writing of history
well Stevie does like to spin her yarns to her advantage and to fit the image of herself she's worked hard to create.

One small nit, though. Though it's hard to tell because of where she breaks the vocal, it really should be read as:
"Frontline, baby, well you held her prisoner, after all these years and as well as you knew her"
...because she totally resented them trying to tell her what to do (as she so often says about herself) and felt they were holding her prisoner and disrespecting her even though she'd know Irving for a long time (he managed the Eagles). She fired them after this. "In the never-forgotten words of another one of your friends, baby when you hang up that phone, you cease to exist".
I believe the 'when you hang up that phone you cease to exist' line she attributed once to Joe, who said that during one of their spats. And in the song she's turning around and saying it to Frontline.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is how Mick described Lindsey's feelings about Tango. As you can see, his bitterness was not only about Stevie.

Stevie finally showed up in January 1987; we'd been working six months, and it was the only time the whole band was in the studio together. We had been sending copies of our working tapes to Stevie's home in Arizona. On her part, she was dreading that Lindsey, in his producing capacity, would be sarcastic toward her, but he made an effort not to be as much of a martinet as he was with the rest of us. He was under some strain with this project, and lost his patience occasionally, but with Stevie we wanted him to be more objective and professional. He tried to make her feel great in the studio, and they got on well. (The love-hate saga between those two will never end.)
Old 07-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
This is how Mick described Lindsey's feelings about Tango. As you can see, his bitterness was not only about Stevie.

Stevie finally showed up in January 1987; we'd been working six months, and it was the only time the whole band was in the studio together. We had been sending copies of our working tapes to Stevie's home in Arizona. On her part, she was dreading that Lindsey, in his producing capacity, would be sarcastic toward her, but he made an effort not to be as much of a martinet as he was with the rest of us. He was under some strain with this project, and lost his patience occasionally, but with Stevie we wanted him to be more objective and professional. He tried to make her feel great in the studio, and they got on well. (The love-hate saga between those two will never end.)

I thought Tango was released January 1st, 1987.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
I thought Tango was released January 1st, 1987.
It was released on April 13, 1987 (according to Wikipedia).
Old 07-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Tango definitely was not released in winter. I was in high school at the time and remember that it came out either in spring or early summer.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

As for Wikipedia's date of April 13, 1987, that was a Monday. Weren't album releases scheduled on Tuesdays at the time?
Old 07-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Google also says Tango was released April 13. Regardless whether it was released on the 13th or 14th, it was definitely released in April. Big Love came out in March, Seven Wonders in late May/early June, and Little Lies in late August, right around the time Lindsay left the band.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
As for Wikipedia's date of April 13, 1987, that was a Monday. Weren't album releases scheduled on Tuesdays at the time?
At first, I was thinking it might have been Tuesday in the U.S., but Monday outside the U.S. But then I found this on Billboard.com: "For the past few decades, new album releases (and most commercially available singles) are released Tuesday each week in the U.S. Tuesday became the standard release day in April 1989, following discussions at the previous month's National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM) convention (March 3-7). Before then, Monday had long been the standard release day for new albums in the U.S."
Old 07-03-2016, 08:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOfTheDragon View Post
At first, I was thinking it might have been Tuesday in the U.S., but Monday outside the U.S. But then I found this on Billboard.com: "For the past few decades, new album releases (and most commercially available singles) are released Tuesday each week in the U.S. Tuesday became the standard release day in April 1989, following discussions at the previous month's National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM) convention (March 3-7). Before then, Monday had long been the standard release day for new albums in the U.S."
Interesting. I'd wondered when Tuesday became the standard release day. Thanks.