The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=michelej1;865014]The lyrics actually remind me of Daedalus and Icarus a bit.

But my favorite part of the song is the "hours and hours of waiting". Waiting is as heartbreaking and compelling a component of unfulfilled love as loss is, but I don't think it gets the same representation in poems, music or literature. There's something about this song that captures both the hope and emptiness of waiting. Anticipation can buoy you one minute and then turn around and stab you in the chest, when nothing comes of it. Yet, you'd do it again, open yourself up for the same disappointment. You'll continue to wait.
Michele

Whoa! This is brilliant writing. Thank You, Michelej1.
27 and a half years later, I think I finally understand why this track was, hands down, my favorite song on 'Mirage'. And I definitely prefer the first, sparse version, with the spaces left unfilled in the 'remembers how good it can be', 'remembers a melody' segment(s).
Old 01-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this song from Mirage more than any other on the album.

Last edited by fringed n fab; 01-13-2010 at 05:56 AM..
Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mirage sterile??? To me, Tango is the STERILE album! I know Mirage doesn't get much respect, but I much prefer it to Tango! Tango sounds to me, like Lindsey tinkering with digital recording and editing, for years, until every note is perfect. Tango doesn't sound like a BAND, playing! I think Tango stands the test of time, less than ALL the other albums.
HomerMcVie,

Please don't misunderstand me - I am fond of Mirage and I agree that Tango is definitely the most sterile, synthetic offering this quintet ever issued but that said, Mirage lacks the soul of Tusk, which of course preceded it.

That was my reaction upon first hearing Mirage and as unfair as it was to do, I guess I compared the two. Nothing could ever eclipse Tusk for me because it is my all time favourite album and of course, the styles of the albums are distinctly different but in my opinion, Mirage definitely didn't match it for quality.

I happen to adore all three of Stevie's tracks on Mirage and like most of the remaining tracks but don't consider them to be amongst the greatest of Lindsey's and Christine's output. Much of the album sounds half-hearted to these ears and yet Stevie's impassioned vocals and intense compositions lend an air of authenticity to proceedings.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Nikolaj;865140 And I definitely prefer the first, sparse version, with the spaces left unfilled in the 'remembers how good it can be', 'remembers a melody' segment(s).[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's another line I love. She switches a pronoun the second time she says it, from "she" to "he" and it just gives me the impression of both of them remembering, appreciating and missing the exact same things, but maybe at different stages in their lives. Beautiful.

Michele
Old 01-13-2010, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I agree. I never knew Stevie had spoken about her contributions to Mirage prior to it's release, but her comments would indicate that a finished version of Smile At You from that period exists.
She said of the upcoming album:

Quote:
I have 3 songs as it stands now, but I think we may replace one of them with another song. I wrote one of the songs a long, long time ago, even before Lindsey and I moved to LA. It's called It's Alright. It's very simple. Lindsey just plays some really nice guitar behind me. There's another song called If You Were My Love that I wrote about a year ago after I'd recorded Outside the Rain with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. I spent a week recording with them and I had so much fun that I was really bummed out when it was over. That's when I wrote that song.

There was also a song called Smile at You that I don't think we'll put on. I think Lindsey wants me to record another one and so do I. It's kind of a bitter song and that's really not where any of us are at right now, even thought it's a wonderful song. My songs don't take long to record, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
HomerMcVie,

Please don't misunderstand me - I am fond of Mirage and I agree that Tango is definitely the most sterile, synthetic offering this quintet ever issued but that said, Mirage lacks the soul of Tusk, which of course preceded it.

That was my reaction upon first hearing Mirage and as unfair as it was to do, I guess I compared the two. Nothing could ever eclipse Tusk for me because it is my all time favourite album and of course, the styles of the albums are distinctly different but in my opinion, Mirage definitely didn't match it for quality.

I happen to adore all three of Stevie's tracks on Mirage and like most of the remaining tracks but don't consider them to be amongst the greatest of Lindsey's and Christine's output. Much of the album sounds half-hearted to these ears and yet Stevie's impassioned vocals and intense compositions lend an air of authenticity to proceedings.
I agree with everything you said. To me, Mirage is just sterile, formulaic, and soulless. I even prefer Tango to Mirage, simply because it's a better album, and because Lindsey and Christine's songs on Tango are exceedingly high quality. Lindsey's Mirage songs just plain stink in my opinion (sans Eyes Of The World), and Christine's aren't much better (sans Hold Me). Stevie's songs were good... but don't quite match the emotion of her songs on Tusk, or even Tango for that matter. People may blast Stevie's Tango contributions, but she was staggeringly raw and honest in her lyrics for Welcome To The Room... Sara, and When I See You Again. As a whole, Mirage just comes across to me as disingenuous. The kids were at the top of all of their respective games (just watch videos from the Mirage tour!!), but the album was just a phoned in middle of the road effort by burned out, spoiled rockers.

Last edited by louielouie2000; 01-13-2010 at 03:17 AM..
Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Lindsey's Mirage songs just plain stink in my opinion (sans Eyes Of The World), and Christine's aren't much better (sans Hold Me).
ARGGGHHHH! I love Can't Go Back, and Book of Love, and EVEN Empire State!!!

I'll give you, that Love in Store is fairly bland, even though I like it.......I blame Lindsey's production!!!

Okay, I'm willing to admit, that my love for Mirage, probably has more to do with the fact that I was a kid, when it came out. I LOVED Mirage! I still have vivid memories, of making my friends listen to it!

When I make a FM "MY hits" cd, Can't Go Back, That's Alright, and Book of Love, must ALWAYS be sequential!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
ARGGGHHHH! I love Can't Go Back, and Book of Love, and EVEN Empire State!!!

I'll give you, that Love in Store is fairly bland, even though I like it.......I blame Lindsey's production!!!

Okay, I'm willing to admit, that my love for Mirage, probably has more to do with the fact that I was a kid, when it came out. I LOVED Mirage! I still have vivid memories, of making my friends listen to it!

When I make a FM "MY hits" cd, Can't Go Back, That's Alright, and Book of Love, must ALWAYS be sequential!
To be honest, I can't see why many FM fans don't like "Empire State". It bewilders me. That said, I wouldn't say I love it like most other LB songs.
I must say I don't like "Can't Go Back" or "Book Of Love" as much as I used to, at least at the moment... I still quite like them though...
I also quite like "Oh Diane", except if anyone else is listening to it with me - all I want to do then is die! I mean, it's not as if I can skip the track, because it feels like too much of a concession, seeing as their my favourite band! And if I don't, then it probably tarnishes their view of FM anyway! I remember listening to "Mirage" one time, and Dad just happened to come in, hand me dinner, sit down next to me with his own, and start listening to the end of "Hold Me"... which proceeded to the beginning of "Oh Diane"! I would've preferred Dad to have never had to endure that during his lifetime. That said, he didn't say anything, but I'm confident that he would've thought it was rubbish. Also unfortunately, I played the first disc of (Selections from) 25 Years - The Chain in the car during a trip in New Zealand, which contains "Oh Diane"... someone should've slapped Lindsey across the face when he decided to include it in the compilation (assuming it was his fault)! (Sorry Lindsey! )
As for "Eyes Of The World"... well, I don't like it as much as I used to, because I recently listened to it with headphones, and I heard all these extra annoying vocal noises at the start, which seemed silly to me.
(That reminds me - I listened to "Tango In The Night" two nights back, and what I originally thought was merely a long pause in the song was actually filled with similarly annoying noises... except these ones didn't annoy me! )
Having said all this, I actually still love his Mirage songs! Just not as much as his other ones, of course!
And I think all of Christine's and Stevie's songs are excellent on this album! I really don't understand why some people don't like "Only Over You". It's got me mystified...
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Empire State is probably in my top 5 Lindsey songs >_>

I wish they would re-release Mirage and put in Smile At You and If You Were My Love, then it would be a really really amazing album. It annoys me how Stevie's songs are (in my opinion) the best on the album, yet she only gets three, while Lindsey gets more songs and most of them are horrific (Oh Diane, anyone? Awful song)

Smile At You is best in the Mirage-era demos. I think it's totally, utterly, ruined in Say You Will. I like to pretend it never happened >_>

Edit - Woo, just as I posted this, I get Mirage and Street Angel through my letter box. Huzzah for ebay! =D

Last edited by Artemis; 01-13-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Homer,
I really like Can't Go Back and Empire State but I'm not so convinced of his other contributions to Mirage. Christine's songs are generally good but suffer from uninspired production - for example, imagine the demo of Little Lies before Lindsey wove his magic around it - that was a beautifully produced track that made an average song actually sparkle - that's what her tracks needed. The simplicity of Stevie's tracks rang true - they thankfully didn't need any comprehensive production because they certainly didn't get it!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

It's also a shame the band didn't wish to pursue this direction for the album - I think a little anger would have humanised the sterility of proceedings. There are good to great songs aplenty but overall, it's all too subdued and ultimately, not satisfying.

By the way, I would not have omitted Straight Back, I simply would have included Smile At You as well. If the vinyl time constraints had made it necessary to ditch one track, I would have opted for either Only Over You or Oh Diane (both rubbish in my opinion).
I think both versions of 'Smile At You' are good in their own ways. I'm sort of glad it didn't go on Mirage, because we would have never heard the Say You Will version. As for anger, I always felt that 'Straight Back' was a pretty angry song itself. And poor 'Oh Diane'! This song gets so picked on! I'm not saying it's Lindsey's best work, but I really like it!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Since we're speaking of "Straight Back", several years ago I made a compilation of Stevie's more rocking songs for someone. I just grabbed a bunch of songs and put them together. After listening back to it though I realized that the first three songs sound very similar. Check it out, play these three songs back to back to back, in this order, and see if you agree:

Nothing Ever Changes
Smile At You ("walls are flaming, flaming" demo version)
Straight Back

To me these three just have the same feel/sound to them.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I put away my turntable but I'll have to check out the vinyl version. As it plays on my CD, I have to say (as I often say), it sounds like a Roxy Music song to me.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
I really don't understand why some people don't like "Only Over You". It's got me mystified...
I'll tell you why: "I'm OUT of my mind..." It's like nails on a chalk board to me.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Empire State is probably in my top 5 Lindsey songs >_>

I wish they would re-release Mirage and put in Smile At You and If You Were My Love, then it would be a really really amazing album. It annoys me how Stevie's songs are (in my opinion) the best on the album, yet she only gets three, while Lindsey gets more songs and most of them are horrific (Oh Diane, anyone? Awful song)

Smile At You is best in the Mirage-era demos. I think it's totally, utterly, ruined in Say You Will. I like to pretend it never happened >_>

Edit - Woo, just as I posted this, I get Mirage and Street Angel through my letter box. Huzzah for ebay! =D

I suspect that at the time Stevie was probably doing her nobless oblige and allowing the other writers to get a larger chunk of the publishing since she had just made a mint off of BD. Plus, whatever didn't get used by FM went directly to her solo career. Mama was at the peak of her powers creatively and commercially, and probably had no time or inclination for band politics. She "tread with gossamer wings."