The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:18 AM

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion on guitar violence...
Old 05-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion on guitar violence...
I think Stevie should apply some stars and moons on his guitar thus binding it with a peace spell and - therefore - prohibiting any more violence!

It has been a LONG day already

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Well I doubt that very much. In fact I think the opposite is true. He may leave people cold as a studio musician and artist. People who don't like his quirky production or songwriting or whatever. But his stage presence his amazing and I guess even the Stevie fans responded that way.
But when you read reports of some Stevie fans calling out for her name even during "Big Love" you tend to doubt that.
I think he is somewhat awkward on stage but that's mostly when he isn't playing. That why he seems to feel the necessity for the rehearsed speeches. Stevie is far more natural in everything she does even though she's actually trying far less than Lindsey on this tour.
Quote:
For me spastic movements are not appealing or very special and adorable. They are just there, it's part of his medical history. And if these movements are less nowadays (I did not care enough to tell) then it doesn`t lessen his stage presence for me one bit. Nor did their presence the opposite.
I personally loved them. They were almost anti-rock in essence, a defiant stance against the typical stage posturing that so many guitarists had (and even LB himself sometimes) at the time. Sure, it didn't look natural but for me it's far more compelling viewing than the current rock God acts. Lindsey steals the whole show in the Mirage tour video but then again that show wasn't particularly good for Stevie as a whole.
I can understand how some dislike the movements and prefer the "Lindsey is hot!" vibe of now. I don't go for that so much. Don't underline your sexuality so much Lindsey, give it to us as explorations of your psyche (as in "Not That Funny").

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 05-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
More random lyrics posting/Kinks references:
Quote:
Life stinks, I'm seeing pink, I can't wink, I can't blink, I like the Kinks, I need a drink, I can't think, I like the Kinks, life stinks
Pere Ubu: "Life Stinks". There's times when that's the best lyric ever.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 05-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass

I personally loved them. They were almost anti-rock in essence, a defiant stance against the typical stage posturing that so many guitarists had (and even LB himself sometimes) at the time. Sure, it didn't look natural but for me it's far more compelling viewing than the current rock God acts. Lindsey steals the whole show in the Mirage tour video but then again that show wasn't particularly good for Stevie as a whole.
I can understand how some dislike the movements and prefer the "Lindsey is hot!" vibe of now. I don't go for that so much. Don't underline your sexuality so much Lindsey, give it to us as explorations of your psyche (as in "Not That Funny").
What have you been eatin' Gaius? I agree on every single syllable of this quote!

Old 05-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
But when you read reports of some Stevie fans calling out for her name even during "Big Love" you tend to doubt that.
Well what does that prove? A lot of people can`t connect with Lindsey. And some seem to have trouble to behave (regarding the yelling). Honestly it's no wonder that people who adore the kind of things Stevie did don't call the Dennis Wilson suite their favourite song. So they go to the concert to see her. He has a complete different style of music so they may regard that as interference of a Stevie Nicks concert. Guitar solos often is not what they want, in fact I bet they often even do not know his songs. That has nothing to do with his stage charisma. If you are longing for a steak and you get a piece of chocolate you won't be happy. Lindsey always put on great live shows, played the guitar like a maniac, he looked good, still does for his age- I honestly don`t see how he has no stage charisma.

Stevie grabbed the attention from the beginning because of her beauty that fascinated a lot of people (as it always does) her unique voice and her songs that were more appealing to the crowd than Lindseys. To me that is O.K. but it proves nothing in terms of quality. (Otherwise Spitney was the greatest artist ever.) I bet thousands of people bought the FM and solo albums just to have the covers. So then it doesn't matter if some guy plays on the concerts too, if you are there to see that beautiful girl you are fascinated of.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Personally, I like it when the two interact like they did during the last guitar part of the Madison "Sara." Stevie just played her air guitar and got real close to him (about a foot from his face) and sang the lyrics of the song only to him (away from the mic.) while he played. He smiled and clearly loved it. That kind of electrical interaction is just great IMO and mostly exceeds the solo stuff. To me and although I like each, it is just more entertaining than watching Stevie twirl or LB throw a guitar across the stage

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-12-2004, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
A lot of people can`t connect with Lindsey.
True, only the most sophisticated among us do.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Bwah!!

Carne!

There's something for every fan at these concerts really. There are Rumours songs for "those" (LOL) fans, rarities for us die hards, romantic stuff for the BN peeps, you get guitar violence for people like Sharon and I (hee!!) and Stevie doin' her thang.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but I will anyway.

Lindsey wants to play the rock god and the guitar violence is a part of that. "Fleetwood Mac" is a dirty word to a lot of people and I think it bugs the hell out of him. Because of FM's soft rock/AC reputation, Lindsey will never be seen in the same category as Page, Hendrix, or even Clapton by the masses. And it's been his mission since say one to prove the masses wrong.

And make no mistake, I love Linsdey too. It's just that most people don't outside of our little world. It's those people he wants to reach especially.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:45 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lux in this world (there I go talking in 3rd person again) to spread the message of Lindsey to those who aren't yet exposed. I'm currently compiling a cd of Lindsey's music for my friend who said that FM played 'boring pop'.
This is what I am doing since 1978. Fighting windmills: I love it.

Keep up the Good Work, Sistah!

Old 05-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
True, only the most sophisticated among us do.
Oh, I'm in the right crowd
Old 05-13-2004, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
And it's been his mission since say one to prove the masses wrong.
Bull****. When has he ever indicated he wants to be another Clapton or Hendrix? I bet he cringes at Clapton and Page, no offense to their fans. And I'm sure he respects Hendrix but doesn't want to emulate him in any way, except for perhaps the rawness and passion of the performances.

I just have seen no indication ever that Lindsey cares that much about those guys. He talks about Elvis' guitarist, for crying out loud, when asked about his guitar-slinging influences.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't say he wanted to BE Clapton or Hendrix. I said it bugs him that he's not considered (by most) to be in that category. I stand by what I said. I think FM's "poppy" reputation drives him mad.

And Lux, I do agree that when non-believers hear Lindsey they will come around. But there is that bias already there.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I think FM's "poppy" reputation drives him mad.
No it drives ME mad. Not their popsongs, but thair reputation.
And if it drove HIM mad, why would he write WTWCT, Miranda, SYHA, BleedTLH, Twist of Fate, Peacekeeper, etc etc etc etc.? He's just right that he gives something extra on a live performance. He's plays a lot of pop-rocksongs in the mactradition this tour. He's always done that. What are we talking about? He plays a five minute solo during Come and a 6 minute solo on ISA. The rest is just pointy guitarwork in the ghost of the songs. 11 munites on a 140 minute show. Any show-off guitarist would quit immediately.