The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still awaiting an explanation for why I'm evil. Ho hum.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I'm still awaiting an explanation for why I'm evil. Ho hum.
How much bandwith does Marty have

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
How much bandwith does Marty have
Beats me, but it can't be enough.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

It wasn't too slow
Old 06-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Quote:
Originally Posted by seteca
To be honest, I think the only way an artist can improvise speeches and performances flawlessly and unrepetitively is to be extremely arrogant and always overestimate his own ability and how much his fans love him (regardless of who or how good he is.)
While repeating oneself is human nature one should always be vary of not overdoing it. I agree in that Lindsey is insecure when speaking, very possibly even when performing (and that's why he seems to have a choreography of sorts). But when he does the same speeches night after night it gives an impression of insincerity and being indifferent of the audience to me even though he very likely is being honest and believes in what he says.
Quote:
...I think it comes from the fact that he is deep down a very humble man, perhaps even more so than he himself realises.
Quote:
I'm sure the fact that his name has been missing from almost all of these "greatest guitarist" lists has not done his guitar-ego any good.
So he's humble and he still has the typical guitar hero ego? Another grand Buckingham paradox.

Quote:
The drugs he was taking during the Tusk and Mirage tour made him overcome this confidence problem and unleashed the true brilliant lead guitarist within him: the result was some of the most incredible (and definitely improvised!!) performances of his life, both as a guitarist and a singer! Well he's not taking drugs anymore (I hope!) but I wish that the 100s of 1000s of amazed fans applauding and cheering at his guitar performances in the past 7 years would have had the same effect!
I don't know if he ever took drugs that much; for me it seemed to be a matter of youthful aggression and energy rather than being too insecure. But when he stopped touring for a long time the pressure on stage must have gotten bigger on him.
The band gave its best performances at the tail end of the tour, IMO. The touring strain was affecting all of them; these days they seem to have too much time in between the shows to do anything else but music.
Oh, and he still smokes pot. That's what I've read, anyway.

For the rest of your post I can just say a ditto.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 06-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
So he's humble and he still has the typical guitar hero ego? Another grand Buckingham paradox.
I don't think it's that paradoxical. I don't think we should confuse being confident with being arrogant: if Rolling Stone published a list of "Top 20 guitarists" and Guitarist X's name was mentioned, it can only boost (as opposed to lower!) his confidence level. This would be particularly helpful for a guitarist who had an unusual method/style of playing solos (like LB) as it would reassure him that his playing is just as enjoyable and good as that of the other famous names in the list, and could only encourage (again, as opposed to discourage) him to be more spontaneous when playing live. If Guitarist X is arrogant anyway, this boost in confidence will probably increase that arrogance, but if he is humble, I don't think it will create any arrogance.

Quote:
I don't know if he ever took drugs that much; for me it seemed to be a matter of youthful aggression and energy rather than being too insecure. But when he stopped touring for a long time the pressure on stage must have gotten bigger on him.
The band gave its best performances at the tail end of the tour, IMO. The touring strain was affecting all of them; these days they seem to have too much time in between the shows to do anything else but music.
Oh, and he still smokes pot. That's what I've read, anyway.
I'm sure "youthful aggression" was a major factor, but I think he was on something a lot stronger than pot during the Mirage and Tusk tours. He was sweating more than he does now, and some of the performances are very much "out there"...lol....e.g. the Mobile show on the Tusk tour.....and the Memphis show on the Mirage Tour.

p.s. I hadn't had the chance to listen to many of the recent bootlegs I'd downloaded so today I decided to listen to the Green Bay show. There's this part on the I'm So Afraid solo from 7:04 to 7:19 which is absolutely incredible and is a superlative case of "music speaking clearer than words." He plays this series of arpeggios, changing the chord shapes along with the chords of the song and the result is one of my favourite LB guitar moments ever. He definitely had not done this until this tour, and when I listened to some of the 1st/2nd leg SYW shows, he didn't do it there either. He does do it at the London show though, so he must have introduced it around the time of the European tour (and judging from the available bootlegs has done it at every show since!). However "spontaneous" LB becomes, I hope that this particular section becomes a permanent part of the solo...it's beautiful.

Last edited by seteca; 06-03-2004 at 06:34 PM..
Old 06-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm sure "youthful aggression" was a major factor, but I think he was on something a lot stronger than pot during the Mirage and Tusk tours. He was sweating more than he does now, and some of the performances are very much "out there"...lol....e.g. the Mobile show on the Tusk tour.....and the Memphis show on the Mirage Tour.
I think he had his share of almost everything a little bit, but pot's his major thing I think. During the Tusktour I got the impression he boozed more than I do on a normal day.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Ledgie

Does I'm So Afraid cut off for everyone else, too? I was looking forward to hearing this... he went crazy that night, and the solo was quite different from a lot of the ones that I've heard him do for ISA in recent years... Thanks for help everyone!

Adam R.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy Adam...

Yep, I have downloaded the dang thing a million times, and it only comes up as 3:15. It sounded like an incredible version too!!!! I hope a full version pops up somewhere.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope you all are getting the Raleigh show from SaraRhiannon's site. The Raleigh show is fantastic, sound, performance, everything. IKINW and Red Rover ROCKS on this show...everything is great...even Say Goodbye that usually sounds all muffled. Don't miss this show!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Listening to IKINW now....AWESOME vocals!! "DON'T BLAME ME..." I freakin' love that part! Can't wait to sing it with him in Dallas and Houston!! Love that dude screaming "Lindsey!" at the end!!

Red Rover....*tears streaming down face* "I said RED ROVER!" I said take you OVER!" OMG.....God help me.

IKINW is the most fun song to sing along to... you can't get it out of your head. You find yourself humming it at the strangest times. Thanks once again to Joe

Red Rover is magic. Words can't describe how your mouth hangs open and I could almost cry when I hear it. He's changed the vocals on the ending a bit since he first started performing it, he's saying the last few Red Rovers ...almost growling them and saying them very quickly, but you can tell the little changes he's made to the song since it first started. If you get to the arena early it's one of the songs he's been doing during soundcheck. If it's a shed you can hear the soundcheck in the parking lot or at the entrance gate.

I never thought I'd say this because I hate sheds and heat...the sound in the sheds is much better than the arenas...especially on Say Goodbye and most of the songs sound much better. It almost makes the unbearable heat worth it...okay it IS worth it
Old 06-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
This is why Red Rover was my favorite that night.

And Stevie sounds horrid. Get off the road and take a rest already.

It was just one night buddy calm down. Do you how big a fanbase they have here in MA? IF they didn't do that show many, many fans would be disappointed.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover
It was just one night buddy calm down. Do you how big a fanbase they have here in MA? IF they didn't do that show many, many fans would be disappointed.
Yes, I do know how big their fanbase is in MA, I live there. And, personally, she wasn't up to snuff that night.

They could've easily scrapped it and rescheduled it for later. The fact is, if Stevie's vocal chords are swollen, she shouldn't be touring. Unfortunately, it's not an option to quit now, but it's still not very good for her voice. They aren't young kids anymore, it's unrealistic to tour for so long.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
p.s. I hadn't had the chance to listen to many of the recent bootlegs I'd downloaded so today I decided to listen to the Green Bay show. There's this part on the I'm So Afraid solo from 7:04 to 7:19 which is absolutely incredible and is a superlative case of "music speaking clearer than words." He plays this series of arpeggios, changing the chord shapes along with the chords of the song and the result is one of my favourite LB guitar moments ever.
I think the first time he did it was at Earls Court. It's got a really great emotive classical feel. I've heard him do it on Come a few times as well.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza
I think the first time he did it was at Earls Court. It's got a really great emotive classical feel. I've heard him do it on Come a few times as well.
Actually I recently watched the Las Vegas gig, which was the final night of the 2nd leg, and he does it there too. So I reckon he started doing it very late on the 2nd leg, possibly for the first time in Las Vegas.

I agree, it does have a classical feel. In fact, you could very easily play that using tapping instead of arpeggios and then it would sound very much like Van Halen - who of course derived many of his tapping scales from classical pieces.