Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Moby - Hotel

Robert Plant and The Strange Sensation - Mighty Rearranger
Moby's the one the Eminem slammed in that one song right?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Hmmmmm. I think I'll pass.
Ohhh now I'm just shocked!

You are, however missing out on some awesome music...Sara is great...she is one of the finest lyricists that I have ever had the joy of listening to.

And the best part is I get to see her Oct. 20 in concert and MEET HER!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Not sure. Eminem is weak. Can't stand the fool.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Josh Rouse--Nashville: More perfect pop music from this guy; this one a wonderful 70's Jackson Browne kind of sound.

Bright Eyes--I'm Awake, It's Morning: Not quite up to the hype --isn't possible-- but a great collection of songs. Plus Emmylou is on it.

Dolly Parton--Those Were The Days: It's not out until Oct. 11th and I haven't heard it yet, but I know it will be fantastic. I heard many of the songs in concert--Imagine, Me and Bobby McGee, Blowin' In The Wind, Crimson and Clover, Where Have All The Flowers Gone--and she nails all of them.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Moby is one of many whom Eminem has mocked, indeed.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt
Josh Rouse--Nashville: More perfect pop music from this guy; this one a wonderful 70's Jackson Browne kind of sound.
I really enjoyed 1972, I may have to look into Nashville...
Old 10-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I really enjoyed 1972, I may have to look into Nashville...
Well, nothing will ever come close to 1972, but Nashville's definitely worth checking out.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Ohhh now I'm just shocked!

You are, however missing out on some awesome music...Sara is great...she is one of the finest lyricists that I have ever had the joy of listening to.
I can't say anything about Ms. Groves, because I've never listened to her, but what confuses me about popular "Christian music" in general is the fact that it feels the need to label itself as Christian. It's the only "genre" of music I can think of that delineates itself not by anything musical but by the subject matter of the lyrics. It seems very limiting and tends to lead to a lot of really obvious sentiment (both lyrically and musically) that almost feels like pandering to a certain built-in audience. There are certainly plenty of artists out there in all genres of music (especially country, but also in rap/hip-hop and R&B, as well as some rock/pop) who are Christian, or religious in some other way, and who find a way to express that religiosity in some of their music while still writing and singing about any of a hundred other aspects of life in the rest of their music. (Kanye West and particularly Sufjan Stevens are two examples just from my 2005 list.) It seems like the possibility of that sort of breadth is almost necessary for any kind of artistic growth, and it makes me wonder if most "Christian" artists have anything else at all to say? Then again, maybe most of the people who produce and/or listen to Chrstian music feel that God is or should be explicitly involved in every aspect of life. But still, it seems like a rather needlessly limited template.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't say anything about Ms. Groves, because I've never listened to her, but what confuses me about popular "Christian music" in general is the fact that it feels the need to label itself as Christian. It's the only "genre" of music I can think of that delineates itself not by anything musical but by the subject matter of the lyrics. It seems very limiting and tends to lead to a lot of really obvious sentiment (both lyrically and musically) that almost feels like pandering to a certain built-in audience. There are certainly plenty of artists out there in all genres of music (especially country, but also in rap/hip-hop and R&B, as well as some rock/pop) who are Christian, or religious in some other way, and who find a way to express that religiosity in some of their music while still writing and singing about any of a hundred other aspects of life in the rest of their music. (Kanye West and particularly Sufjan Stevens are two examples just from my 2005 list.) It seems like the possibility of that sort of breadth is almost necessary for any kind of artistic growth, and it makes me wonder if most "Christian" artists have anything else at all to say? Then again, maybe most of the people who produce and/or listen to Chrstian music feel that God is or should be explicitly involved in every aspect of life. But still, it seems like a rather needlessly limited template.
Well said. I think "Christian" music is ridiculous.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow One of the best

One of my fave bands is MxPx and they are labeled as punk, but they have Christian overtones to their music. Check 'em out if ya like great punk music. I'm not a huge fan of some Christian artists because they bore me or they all sound similar. I was never a Point of Grace fan and I don't listen to Christian music radio these days. I do love the old school artists though, such as Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, DC Talk, Jars of Clay and Newsboys.

I didn't buy many CDs in 2005. I think I got Duran Duran's Astronaut and an old Keith Urban CD from 1991 this year, but that was it. I bought some music in iTunes recently like a few songs from Gwen Stefani's solo album and some jazz songs.

Oh!! Tan-Hauser Gate...that's the best album of 2005, if ya ask me.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I understand exactly what you are talking about, and something I used to wonder about myself! However there IS a difference between Contemporary Christian and Praise and Worship. Most people who don't listen to any Christian music often think of Praise and Worship when they think of Christian music...but this is not ALL of what Christian music is! For example, Sara Groves, doesn't write every song about praising God, but life in general...love, heartbreak, loneliness, heck even materialism...just like most pop artist. The difference is that she comes at it from the standpoint of a Christian, and looks at all the subject matters through the eyes of her faith. If she weren't a Christian artist though, I could see her being a HUGE success mainstream wise...she just has IT! So I do see what you are talking about…
Old 10-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think you hit it on the head when you said "pandering." That's all it is. They're using the almighty as a marketing tool to raise money. Hopefully, the money is being raised for some credible ministry (whatever that may be), otherwise it's nothing more than a sick use of people's faith to make a bunch of money (see also: Jim Baker).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony
Well said. I think "Christian" music is ridiculous.
And you know this by being an avid fan...?

How can you say something is ridiculous, when the singers and songwriters are doing what they feel they are compelled to do...no different than other secular artist out there. You write about things that you believe in and what motivates you in life, etc...
Old 10-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I think you hit it on the head when you said "pandering." That's all it is. They're using the almighty as a marketing tool to raise money. Hopefully, the money is being raised for some credible ministry (whatever that may be), otherwise it's nothing more than a sick use of people's faith to make a bunch of money (see also: Jim Baker).
So I (as a singer and songwriter...which I am) am not coming from a completely honest place when I write songs about how God has shown his mercy in my life? If I were to get a record deal and record my music professionally, would I be selling out?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up BB King's latest

right now is my favorite. It's called 80 for his 80th birthday that he just celebrated Sept. 16th, so it just came out. Every song on it is with a different artist like Sheryl Crow, Elton John, Daryl Hall, Gloria Estefan, Eric Clapton, to name a few. It is great. I'd highly recommend it.

Lee