User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas
I love Linda. And I hope no one stones me, but I think I'm kinda over Stevie.
Just out of curiosity, how long have you been a Stevie fan? (Not stoning, just genuinely curious. )
Old 01-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS
From that very site the following statement

"Linda achieved her greatest commercial success in the mid-'70s when she became the first female rock superstar
Sheesh! Havn't the people on that site ever heard of Connie Francis?!!!
Good one!!

Or Brenda Lee

Or Etta James

Or Carla Thomas

Or, Diana Ross (as a Supreme)

Or, if they're THAT myopic, what about JANIS JOPLIN?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I would tend to agree with what you said, except that as far as "having the whole package" Stevie is probably most deficient in the area that is Ronstadt is most proficient - technical ability.

I like them both, but it's hard for me to compare them because...in some important ways they are too dissimilar. Partly in the way that I have experienced them in my life, but more concrete ways, too.

Anyway, as my first sentence alluded to, my sensibility experiences them in such a way that they balance each other out and I enjoy each very, very much. It's like, together they could make the ubersinger.

Of course I listen to Stevie more, and am more passionate and attached to all things Stevie, but several of Linda's songs/vocals are my very favorite around, and really move me. And I really don't know much of her body of material, mostly the main songs - to me that indicates the high quality of her work. But now that I've heard about it I must hear the album where she tries to go...New Wave?

Oh, man. I just know that's going to be awesomely cheesy-with-good-vocal and I'm going to love it.

Also? Linda was so, so cute. Just cute. Cutie cute.
I never knew you were such a Linda fan. Do you have Western Wall, the album that her and Emmylou recorded together about six years ago? It's really great.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS
If you're going to do a comparison of early women rockers, like the other one with Grace Slick, you have to mention Linda Ronstadt. She was one of the early female lead singers with a male group, the Stone Poneys, before going off on a solo career. At about the same time that Stevie was joining FM, 1974, Linda launched a string of huge solo hits. I realize she is more folk/country rock, but she has had a lasting legacy. Linda, like Stevie, is still around singing today. Grace Slick retired. Linda and Stevie are about the same age and probably crossed paths on the California circuit. IMO, Linda's solo career was every bit has good as Stevie's (and she didn't end up in Betty Fords, or similar, as far as I know).
Waddy Wachtel and Russ Kunkel also worked in the studio with Linda.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS
I read somewhere that when Stevie is swimming at her pool, no visitors, man or woman, is allowed to see her.
She was joking.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygirl
Isn't Linda from Arizona too?
Yes. I think she's from Tucson.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
You must have never seen a Linda Ronstadt concert. She's a tough bitch who does what she wants. Confidence? She's got enough to spare.
Last time I saw her she sang the entire show sitting down because of her back problems. She was still flawless, though.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
And I really don't know much of her body of material, mostly the main songs - to me that indicates the high quality of her work. But now that I've heard about it I must hear the album where she tries to go...New Wave?

Oh, man. I just know that's going to be awesomely cheesy-with-good-vocal and I'm going to love it.
I bought that album Mad Love when it was first released. Not very good. Way too much yelling for me.

I love Linda- although her penchant for singing every style of music under the sun leaves one to sift through her catalog for gems. Her early period is uneven and her vocal technique was still developing. I'm not really a huge fan of her 70's popular peak- with a few glimmers of greatness here and there. Too many stinky J.D. Souther songs and nostalgia covers. I love all three of her Nelson Riddle albums.

Linda's best period is probably her late 80's through the 90's efforts. Feels Like Home is probably her best album ever- I think every song on that one is a keeper. Her cover of Petty's "The Waiting" is Trio is awesome. The Western Wall Sessions with Emmylou Harris is fantastic. We Ran isn't too bad. Waddy is all over that record- production, songwriter, the works.

I don't think Linda and Stevie are really comparable. They just happen to be from the same era and have used many of the same session musicians. Other than that, their catalog and their musical composition are pretty much different animals.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC
Just out of curiosity, how long have you been a Stevie fan? (Not stoning, just genuinely curious. )
Since about 1998 or so.

And it's not that I'm no longer a fan, I'm just not as knocked out by her as I used to be. The fact that it looks like she's not going to do another album, and is content to just rehash her old warhorses for endless concert tours has a lot to do with it.

Plus, artists like Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell have a much larger and more varied body of work than Stevie. I still like Stevie, I just find myself listening to her less and less.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also? Linda was so, so cute. Just cute. Cutie cute.
As far as cuteness or beauty goes, it's a real toss up. Personally, I think Stevie has the better smile and facial expressions on stage, but that is just me. For example, that scene at the end of "Red Rocks" where Stevie is holding up a bird, OK the white winged dove, that refuses to fly away...her facial expression was just awesome IMO. I just haven't seen enough of Linda on stage to gauge.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Since about 1998 or so.

And it's not that I'm no longer a fan, I'm just not as knocked out by her as I used to be. The fact that it looks like she's not going to do another album, and is content to just rehash her old warhorses for endless concert tours has a lot to do with it.

Plus, artists like Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell have a much larger and more varied body of work than Stevie. I still like Stevie, I just find myself listening to her less and less.
geez... :0
Old 01-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
geez... :0
See, now everyone hates me.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I never knew you were such a Linda fan. Do you have Western Wall, the album that her and Emmylou recorded together about six years ago? It's really great.
No, doll. Like I said, I'm a fan without having heard the bulk of her material.
I don't know if I should get that; it might be the most beautiful album in the world, causing my head to explode in a mountain of tears.
J/K - I would love to hear that. Though maybe not as much as her new wave album....

Yeah, I think some people here said that Linda's voice sounds a bit clinical, or cold, but to me it doesn't. I think it can contain a lot of pathos. Maybe sometimes it sounds cold, but I haven't heard that song. (except, maybe, in Pirates of Penzance w/Kevin Kline. But I saw that in highschool, and her part seemed almost operatic, and the higher the notes, the colder the sound. Yes, I just made that rule up.)
Thanks for the tip. I actually wrote that down.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS
As far as cuteness or beauty goes, it's a real toss up. Personally, I think Stevie has the better smile and facial expressions on stage, but that is just me. For example, that scene at the end of "Red Rocks" where Stevie is holding up a bird, OK the white winged dove, that refuses to fly away...her facial expression was just awesome IMO. I just haven't seen enough of Linda on stage to gauge.
You could be right, I haven't seen linda onstage at all. But I just meant her face, cute button nose, round brown eyes, little cheeks....like a stuffed teddy bear... Stevie is just as cute,but not as round/cute. I don't doubt Stevie is more expressive.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
See, now everyone hates me.
Not at all. Like I said earlier, I went through periods of needing to break away from FM/SN, but it was never because I wasn't thrilled with her setlists.

I do think she'll do another album, just give her time...

I just don't get the attitude that some have over her setlist...I just don't...I don't know what people expect. Yes, there are some artists (like the fabulous Tori Amos) that change their setlists nightly, but the majority don't...at least not the ones I've encountered.

As far as large and varied body of work, I can understand that...that's why I have my 3 divas...rock (Stevie), pop (Christina) and easy listening (Barbra) - to keep me satisfied

I hope that you get a spark tho that makes you feel like something's missing...I always did.

Last edited by JazmenFlowers; 01-20-2006 at 01:34 PM..