Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
How about the most taboo TMI subject of all times... something that everybody wants to know but would never dare ask. But since I'm as shameless as they come, I'll pose the questions:

How much money do y'all make?

How much do you have in savings? Checking?

How much do you owe?

Convert to USD please. :P

I don't technically make any money. I'm comfortably living off of my student loan while I make my way through college. At the moment, my loans and grants amount to the princely sum of £9000, or $13, 946 a year.

In savings, considering I blew alot on Christmas for other people, I have just about £1000 I can look forward to in the bank, ie. $1549 and 60 Cence.

As of this moment in time, I owe almost around £20, 000, or $30, 994.

Yep. I'm pretty screwed at this moment in time. But money isn't everything to me, so I don't let myself worry about it. I don't have to start repaying the Government until I'm earning at least £15,000 or $23, 245 so that's a comfort.

When I think of the future, I just can't see myself in an ordinary, day in day out job. I don't want to be slogging in a job I hate for ten years after I die. I'd rather be doing something I love and experiencing life. Which is why when I finish University I would love to just go travelling. Not a month, not even for a year. Just however long I can maintain it. I've always been flighty and the freedom is romantically appealling to me to see the world, selling my art to get by.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Until recently I had a 20-year-old TV, a 13-year-old $17 coffeemaker from WalMart, a 16-year-old microwave oven, a 7-year-old computer, etc. I guess that says a lot about me! For one thing, I am practical to a fault. If something is working, no matter how old, I will keep using it and using it. I am also usually a late adopter of new technology and I will search high and low for a good deal; it is like a game of strategy for me. I will expend a lot of effort to save a few bucks on (designer) clothing and food, but I will not hesitate for a second about spending money on travel, entertainment and health.
That, is me to a T! As much as I'd like a new flat screen TV, my 56" projection still works, so it seems a waste, to just stop using it. And I'm the same with all my belongings....if it works, keep using it.
Quote:
Ultimately money buys me something that money can't buy (??)- peace of mind. I know that if I am ever unemployed (again), I can float for a long, long time (at least a year) before I start worrying about things.
For me, I grew up upper middle class, until age 9, when my father left us. We went from riches to rags, in one fell swoop. My Mom was a hard worker, but had no education, so she was pretty much relegated to minimum wage jobs. And I was embarrassed by our poverty(this is leading somewhere). I started working at age 13, and have worked ever since. I put myself through college, and started by "sound" business, when I graduated(actually, timing was everything, I really went into it, at the perfect window of opportunity). I worked my ass off, for 10 years, bought the rental properties, then finally, my house. I made my way back, to the lifestyle I had as a child.
Sooo, all that said, I have had rough spells financially, like when my dog had cancer. And the rough spells have retrained me, to be a saver. Cushion, is everything. As long as my rentals are occupied, I too, could float for at least a year. And that cushion does indeed, buy peace of mind.
But like you also, even though I consider myself to be cheap, I dropped 2K today, on a cosmetic procedure.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I don't think being interested in money necessarily equals being materialistic. And I think it would be intellectually dishonest for anyone living in the western world, on the grid, to claim to be totally unaffected by the behavior of money; whether we want to admit it or not, it affects every aspect of our lives. That old saying about the two definites in life- death and taxes- is not for nothing. And in many cases it is about life and death, especially in the States where access to critical medical care sometimes depends on ones ability to pay out of pocket.

For me, ones relationship with money is almost as fascinating as ones relationships with people (and I stress interesting vs. important). It tells a lot about a persons values (both literally and figuratively!) as well as their attitudes about life in general. Some people have very healthy relationships with money; for others it can be downright destructive, e.g., compulsive gambling, compulsive shopping, compulsive hoarding, etc. Too much (old) money can make children unmotivated and entitled, while too little money can make people do irrational things to save a buck (like driving 20 miles to save a nickel/gallon on gas).
My attitude towards money, careers, and success stems directly from my upbringing. My Father was a corporate climber who made it to the top, made quite a princely salary, but never had any time to enjoy the fruits of his labors. We're talking the man was in his office by 7am and didn't get home until 7pm... where he promptly had dinner, then went into his study to work until he went to bed at 11 or 12. He worked in his study and sometimes at his office throughout the weekends, too. My Dad lost decades of his life to that, and I've just never been interested in focusing my life on career climbing, trying to see how much money I can make, or how many baubles I can collect.

Of course we all have to have money to sustain ourselves, and we all have things we like to spend money on. But for me personally, I've always been much happier keeping my existence simpler that the average American consumer. I see so many people being slaves to fashion and labels, always partaking in the current "in" products and services, collecting massive amounts of crap which demands ever larger homes through their lives to store all that junk in, and I'm just like... no thanks. I'd rather work a less stressful and involving job, live in a humbler home, and keep my possessions pared so they're not an albatross around my neck.

For instance, one of my friends recently built himself a McMansion on 10 acres. He was my travel/daytrip/adventure buddy before that happened. Now he spends every freaking weekend cutting his 10 acres of grass, shopping to fill 4,000 square feet of house to the roof with crap he doesn't need and will never use, fixing shoddy work his builder bungled, etc. Not just that, he has to pay around $1,200 a month in utilities, too. He also has a giant BMW SUV for hauling all the crap he buys to his house, thus his car gets horrific gas mileage, and he no longer ventures very far from home. Meanwhile, I live in a 700 square foot apartment and could get in my economy car and drive to Montana right now and not have any repercussions or worries. I've never taken a job that demands anything from me after I left the building. I've always lived in apartments and/or condos so maintenance isn't something which dominates my time. To me, life is best enjoyed when you're away from work and demands so you can spend time with friends and family seeing and experiencing the world. That's just my personal way of doing things, and to each their own. Variety keeps life kooky and fun!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I dropped 2K today, on a cosmetic procedure.
Ooooh- what did you do?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

See, Louie, I feel like you and I are exact opposites. (Just like our tastes in Stevie's music :P)

I really want the climbing the ladder lifestyle, and the huge house with great things inside of it. I feel like for me, at least, that my career is going to be the most important thing in my life.

Thus the reason why I want to be a Lawyer or a Doctor.

Selling my life to a job. woooo
Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
Ooooh- what did you do?
I'm too embarrassed to say. It hasn't happened yet, it's scheduled for Jan 19th. Actually, 4 procedures, staggered over the next 6-12 months. I've never really been vain, until this past year. Losing weight, and getting some hot booty, has made me wanna be the best I can be!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
See, Louie, I feel like you and I are exact opposites. (Just like our tastes in Stevie's music :P)

I really want the climbing the ladder lifestyle, and the huge house with great things inside of it. I feel like for me, at least, that my career is going to be the most important thing in my life.

Thus the reason why I want to be a Lawyer or a Doctor.

Selling my life to a job. woooo
I sort of split the difference. I was like you, in my 20's. Worked hard, and made some big accomplishments. Now, I just want to keep what I've got. I don't want ANY more. I just want to enjoy my life, and my friends. Most weeks, I only work about 3 days, which is perfect. Enough to pay the bills, and yet plenty of time to have fun!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
My attitude towards money, careers, and success stems directly from my upbringing. My Father was a corporate climber who made it to the top, made quite a princely salary, but never had any time to enjoy the fruits of his labors. We're talking the man was in his office by 7am and didn't get home until 7pm... where he promptly had dinner, then went into his study to work until he went to bed at 11 or 12. He worked in his study and sometimes at his office throughout the weekends, too. My Dad lost decades of his life to that, and I've just never been interested in focusing my life on career climbing, trying to see how much money I can make, or how many baubles I can collect.

Of course we all have to have money to sustain ourselves, and we all have things we like to spend money on. But for me personally, I've always been much happier keeping my existence simpler that the average American consumer. I see so many people being slaves to fashion and labels, always partaking in the current "in" products and services, collecting massive amounts of crap which demands ever larger homes through their lives to store all that junk in, and I'm just like... no thanks. I'd rather work a less stressful and involving job, live in a humbler home, and keep my possessions pared so they're not an albatross around my neck.

For instance, one of my friends recently built himself a McMansion on 10 acres. He was my travel/daytrip/adventure buddy before that happened. Now he spends every freaking weekend cutting his 10 acres of grass, shopping to fill 4,000 square feet of house to the roof with crap he doesn't need and will never use, fixing shoddy work his builder bungled, etc. Not just that, he has to pay around $1,200 a month in utilities, too. He also has a giant BMW SUV for hauling all the crap he buys to his house, thus his car gets horrific gas mileage, and he no longer ventures very far from home. Meanwhile, I live in a 700 square foot apartment and could get in my economy car and drive to Montana right now and not have any repercussions or worries. I've never taken a job that demands anything from me after I left the building. I've always lived in apartments and/or condos so maintenance isn't something which dominates my time. To me, life is best enjoyed when you're away from work and demands so you can spend time with friends and family seeing and experiencing the world. That's just my personal way of doing things, and to each their own. Variety keeps life kooky and fun!
Well, you automatically draw the conclusion that in order to have financial success, one must be a complete slave to ones work. Yes, it is often the case, but not always. And "success" is a relative barometer- some people think making a six-figure income is success. Some people making six figures think they are failures unless they make seven figures. I do think there is a happy medium between being relatively successful at work and being relatively successful outside of work. At the extreme other end of the scale, it would completely suck if you were working long hours and had very little to show for it.

Do I have a happy medium? Sorta kinda... I wish the day had more hours. But overall I'm okay with it. My work is mentally exhausting at times, so I do tend to overcompensate by being lazy at home. I would like to think that I will eventually get to the point in my life where work becomes more of a routine and I have more mental bandwidth to spare on extracurricular pursuits. I don't have an exciting life by any stretch, but I can sleep at night thankful for my independence and my health.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm too embarrassed to say. It hasn't happened yet, it's scheduled for Jan 19th. Actually, 4 procedures, staggered over the next 6-12 months. I've never really been vain, until this past year. Losing weight, and getting some hot booty, has made me wanna be the best I can be!
Whatever it is, I'm sure I'd be jealous.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That, is me to a T! As much as I'd like a new flat screen TV, my 56" projection still works, so it seems a waste, to just stop using it. And I'm the same with all my belongings....if it works, keep using it.

For me, I grew up upper middle class, until age 9, when my father left us. We went from riches to rags, in one fell swoop. My Mom was a hard worker, but had no education, so she was pretty much relegated to minimum wage jobs. And I was embarrassed by our poverty(this is leading somewhere). I started working at age 13, and have worked ever since. I put myself through college, and started by "sound" business, when I graduated(actually, timing was everything, I really went into it, at the perfect window of opportunity). I worked my ass off, for 10 years, bought the rental properties, then finally, my house. I made my way back, to the lifestyle I had as a child.
Sooo, all that said, I have had rough spells financially, like when my dog had cancer. And the rough spells have retrained me, to be a saver. Cushion, is everything. As long as my rentals are occupied, I too, could float for at least a year. And that cushion does indeed, buy peace of mind.
But like you also, even though I consider myself to be cheap, I dropped 2K today, on a cosmetic procedure.
I used to have a townhouse condo just outside of Atlantic City. I originally bought it as a favor for a friend whose mother was having marriage problems... long story... But once she moved out, it was an ongoing series of drama. Repairs. Turnover. Fines from the condo board for broken rules. Late/non-existent rent payments, etc. Ugh. That sh*t's for the birds. And being 115 miles away didn't help matters either. Fortunately I sold it at the peak of the housing bubble! It was a pretty good investment that gave back 100%+ returns after less than six years, but I did something incredibly stupid to buy the place- I took out massive cash advances on my credit cards for the down payment and closing costs! Never will I do that again!

Okay, spill the beans... You're getting a nose job, right?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I used to have a townhouse condo just outside of Atlantic City. I originally bought it as a favor for a friend whose mother was having marriage problems... long story... But once she moved out, it was an ongoing series of drama. Repairs. Turnover. Fines from the condo board for broken rules. Late/non-existent rent payments, etc. Ugh. That sh*t's for the birds. And being 115 miles away didn't help matters either. Fortunately I sold it at the peak of the housing bubble! It was a pretty good investment that gave back 100%+ returns after less than six years, but I did something incredibly stupid to buy the place- I took out massive cash advances on my credit cards for the down payment and closing costs! Never will I do that again!

Okay, spill the beans... You're getting a nose job, right?
I've had good luck with my rentals. I only had one unit vacate, this year(which was a low record), and I've not had to evict anyone, for about 4-5 years now.
I can't imagine being able to take care of them, if I didn't live nearby. I USED to live in one of them(they're all next door to each other), and my tenants drove me CRAZY. Not with complaints, just bothering me. I'm a nice guy, and I couldn't walk out my door, without "Hey David, come here" So I moved 8 miles away, where they can't bother me!

No, no nose job. I like my funny little, turned up nose. I'll just say it involves laser dermatology.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
No, no nose job. I like my funny little, turned up nose. I'll just say it involves laser dermatology.
Multiple procedures costing a couple grand spread over half a year or more? Sounds like laser treatments to me! Possibly laser hair removal .

A friend of mine had that done on his sack and taint... for the life of me, I can't imagine how the pain was worth it!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
A friend of mine had that done on his sack and taint... for the life of me, I can't imagine how the pain was worth it!
Sorry to butt in. And feel free to make fun of my naivity. But what exactly does "taint" mean? I think I missed the term in Biology lol.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Sorry to butt in. And feel free to make fun of my naivity. But what exactly does "taint" mean? I think I missed the term in Biology lol.

Sorry for the Southern slang. The taint is the area between your genitals and your @ss. It's called that because "it taint your balls and it taint your @ss"
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Multiple procedures costing a couple grand spread over half a year or more? Sounds like laser treatments to me! Possibly laser hair removal .

Maybe I wanna be smooth as a hairless cat?

I have weird body hair. Like it doesn't know where to go. I've been accused of shaving my legs before, which I've never touched. They just hardly have any hair on them. My butt, too. Naturally smooth. Since you mentioned sack, that's smooth, too....and my armpits have very little.
Closed Thread