Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Do any of you use the phone whilst conducting your bathroom business?
I have, usually when I'm on the phone with my sister. She talks and talks and talks and doesn't care what I'm doing on the other end as long as I'm listening to her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
We had this discussion after Christmas dinner, yesterday, of whether or not it's acceptable to use your laptop while pooping. My cousin does it, and said "I always wash my hands, so it's okay". I said, "what about your keyboard....do you wash THAT? Remind me not to borrow your laptop!"
I hadn't really thought of that. I'm pretty much the only one who uses my laptop, though. But I'll be sure to remind my step-son of the hygienic issues next time he wants to borrow it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
PS: and for what it's worth, I've posted on the Ledge whilst on the throne.
I "moderate" quite a bit whilst on the throne.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post

I "moderate" quite a bit whilst on the throne.
I've never called it that, before!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Do any of you use the phone whilst conducting your bathroom business?
Not while on the toilets, no, but in the spirit of TMI... I had an ex who would think it was very funny to, if it rang while we were having "alone time"... she'd answer my phone! At one point when she couldn't talk on the phone (shewas busy!) but I could (but shouldn't!) and she passed it up to me...

Last edited by Dodfather; 12-26-2010 at 05:40 PM..
Old 12-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really need to poop but I don't want to be the first to go after I just flushed my goldfish

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 PM
petep9000
This message has been deleted by petep9000.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Registered

Saga du jour:
Well, she just called me drunk off her ass, again. She is to arrive on Thursday, and listed the various alcoholic beverages she thinks will be enjoyable, I'll have them stocked. I don't enjoy drinking, and I really prefer her sober, our talks when she's at the office are much more satisfying, for me. Drunk all the time now, at home, when she calls. That won't be fun, here. Maybe I will not have the house stocked, at all!
"Which bedroom will be best for you to serve me breakfast in bed in?"
-"I don't think any of them"
"You're so funny!"
Blizzard here in CT for 10 hours so far, and into tomorrow. Will be clear by Thursday.
Dang.
"I'm afraid to ask you" read the title of her e-mail 5 days ago. Clicked, to read: "Did I call you last night?"
She had.

What to do?
anyone?

Last edited by Nikolaj; 12-27-2010 at 01:14 AM..
Old 12-27-2010, 01:14 AM
vivfox
This message has been deleted by vivfox.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Okay, back on topic! I seem to have started to become lactose intolerant. And I can't be having this. Dairy products are the icing on the cake of life to me! But my God, the gas cramps and flatulence are freaking violent! It's so strange, because I've always lived for dairy products: cheeses, sour cream, whipped cream, alfredo/cream based sauces, et al. A meal without them always seemed unfilling. Sometime in the last year or so though, my body started protesting. And I'm writing a strongly worded letter about it! :
wow this sounds just like me right now!! it sucks soo bad!! have you ever tried those pills that you can take before you eat dairy? i was wondering if they work.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:44 AM
petep9000
This message has been deleted by petep9000.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This is probably my favorite movie moment of all time:

Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
How about the most taboo TMI subject of all times... something that everybody wants to know but would never dare ask. But since I'm as shameless as they come, I'll pose the questions:

How much money do y'all make?

How much do you have in savings? Checking?

How much do you owe?

Convert to USD please.

I make $10.80 an hour. However, I only work "occasionally". Which means, I work atleast one weekend a month and holidays when I am out of school (Thanksgiving, Xmas break, Spring Break, Summer) because I live and go to school in Austin, but my job is in Midland. So overall, I bring home a whopping $10,000 a year or so.

Savings: $136
Checking: $202

I owe TONS! Including my car and student loans, over $30,000.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I make $20 an hour as a tutor. I work 6-8 hours a week. I suck and have barely saved any of it, which needs to change ASAP because of the Stevie shows this summer....fail. I'm planning on saving everything over the next 2 quarters.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

For whatever reason, money is the sole thing I'm weird about sharing. I guess because I'm really not that material of a person? Some people define themselves by their careers and how much money they pull in... I've always defined myself by what I do outside of work.

My last job was working at the Federal Reserve doing research accounting, and my salary was roughly equivalent of a teacher's or police officer's. Benefits were where I really made up for the lack of decent salary: all health/dental/life/optical/etc insurances were free, I had a month paid vacation a year (my paid sick/disability time was even more generous), etc. Unfortunately due to realignment, my department at the Fed closed last year and all 100 employees in our branch were laid off. I haven't been able to find work since... this economy is pretty unforgiving.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm weird about the money too. Because I don't really care about money, and hide, even from my friends, how much I make, and what I own.

Okay, I've got 8 rental units(4 duplexes), own a small sound company(even though freelancing as an engineer, is what keeps me the busiest), and play about 3 gigs a month, in a band. ANYWAY, the rental income makes it seem like I'm rich, but I'm not. All of my properties are on 10 year mortgages, with only 36 months left to pay. Soooo, I gross 88K-ish(48K in rents, 40K in music), BUT I'm paying 54K in mortgage payments! In three years, though, things will turn around for me, when I pay off the mortgages. I'll have about 3K/month in rental profits, then, to keep. But I've had hard times, like everyone else. I just owe soooo much a month(bills are usually around 6K), that it's turned me into a cheap bastard! My poor friends live higher on the hog than I....they drink top shelf hootch, while I drink draught beer! Things will change, though in 36 months. I will have won the game.
Checking - about $250
Savings - about 12K(which I never touch for anything, except when I can't make the mortgage payments).
Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
How about the most taboo TMI subject of all times... something that everybody wants to know but would never dare ask. But since I'm as shameless as they come, I'll pose the questions:

How much money do y'all make?

How much do you have in savings? Checking?

How much do you owe?

Convert to USD please.

I make approx $222 a month. £144 working just saturdays.

Savings: £0

Owe: £250

I had to buy a new laptop. Creys

I'm funny with money in that I would spend £30 on a record without a thought but I'm hard pushed to spend £2 on a shirt.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 12-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I work for an engineering firm, in the finance group. I make $24.87 per hour - and this is without a college degree. I work full time, 2080 hours per year, 40 per week. I get 23 paid days off per year, which can be used for holidays, sick time, etc....

I do not own a home - I rent. I have two roommates, one is my partner and the other is a friend that we've taken in. We collectively pay $1500 per month for the house, which is a 1890 Queen Anne victorian in Denver.

I have no savings.

I have a checking account - it's where my money sits before I spend it. And I do spend it. All of it.

I have about $1900 in debt, which I will pay off in the next few months.

I live very well, and totally above my means, I buy what I want, I eat and drink well and I wear nice clothes. I have a shoe habit.

I'm 37 years old, and I know that my lifestyle is not sustainable at the curent rate - but I fear facing reality and I don't know what to do about it. I feel incapable of saving money, because there are just too many cool things to buy, and frankly I never learned the importance of saving. I think money is relatively meaningless, aside from the value that others assign to it. Money is more valuble than the things that money buys, and that's a problem that human beings need to work out. I'm probably part of the problem.

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 12-28-2010 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Uh...
Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
all 100 employees in our branch were laid off. I haven't been able to find work since... this economy is pretty unforgiving.
Good luck louie. Having just gone through a period of unemployment and then shaky agency work before finding my feet with where I am now I know just how sstressfukl this can be. Keep us posted and keep applying. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For whatever reason, money is the sole thing I'm weird about sharing. I guess because I'm really not that material of a person? Some people define themselves by their careers and how much money they pull in... I've always defined myself by what I do outside of work.

My last job was working at the Federal Reserve doing research accounting, and my salary was roughly equivalent of a teacher's or police officer's. Benefits were where I really made up for the lack of decent salary: all health/dental/life/optical/etc insurances were free, I had a month paid vacation a year (my paid sick/disability time was even more generous), etc. Unfortunately due to realignment, my department at the Fed closed last year and all 100 employees in our branch were laid off. I haven't been able to find work since... this economy is pretty unforgiving.
Well, I don't think being interested in money necessarily equals being materialistic. And I think it would be intellectually dishonest for anyone living in the western world, on the grid, to claim to be totally unaffected by the behavior of money; whether we want to admit it or not, it affects every aspect of our lives. That old saying about the two definites in life- death and taxes- is not for nothing. And in many cases it is about life and death, especially in the States where access to critical medical care sometimes depends on ones ability to pay out of pocket.

For me, ones relationship with money is almost as fascinating as ones relationships with people (and I stress interesting vs. important). It tells a lot about a persons values (both literally and figuratively!) as well as their attitudes about life in general. Some people have very healthy relationships with money; for others it can be downright destructive, e.g., compulsive gambling, compulsive shopping, compulsive hoarding, etc. Too much (old) money can make children unmotivated and entitled, while too little money can make people do irrational things to save a buck (like driving 20 miles to save a nickel/gallon on gas).

By U.S. standards, I am very well off, but by NYC standards I am kind of in the lower-middle somewhere. My parents taught me to be frugal, but I have managed to beat them at their own game. In fact, they are sometimes appalled by my standard of living. Until recently I had a 20-year-old TV, a 13-year-old $17 coffeemaker from WalMart, a 16-year-old microwave oven, a 7-year-old computer, etc. I guess that says a lot about me! For one thing, I am practical to a fault. If something is working, no matter how old, I will keep using it and using it. I am also usually a late adopter of new technology and I will search high and low for a good deal; it is like a game of strategy for me. I will expend a lot of effort to save a few bucks on (designer) clothing and food, but I will not hesitate for a second about spending money on travel, entertainment and health. Also, I would rather spend money on a few expensive, well-made things than a bunch of inexpensive "value" things.

Ultimately money buys me something that money can't buy (??)- peace of mind. I know that if I am ever unemployed (again), I can float for a long, long time (at least a year) before I start worrying about things. And even then I have a fallback option or two. As such, I cannot even imagine carrying credit card debt or having negative balances. I don't like the thought of having to scrounge up money to buy stuff. For me it's more a matter of working through the equation of wants vs. needs... generally I am not a "want-y" kind of person.

Overall I am house-poor, ever since I made the dubious decision to design and build my "weekend house," which after five years is an ongoing money pit (like, almost $1 million so far and counting). Fortunately my mortgage is not that large. But it is definitely something that hangs around my neck like an albatross- it's not enough to keep me awake at night, but it is just enough to be a nuisance. I hope to have it paid off completely within the next ten years, that is, assuming Fleetwood Mac doesn't go on too many more world tours!
Closed Thread