User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I had a Toshiba for about 3 years and no word of a lie, I ran that thing for at least 15 hours a day for those 3 years. It died about 3 weeks ago now because I'd abused it I went for a Dell inspiron and I've not regretted it yet. Except for it being pink. I regret that.
I've got a Toshiba, that I've had for about 18 months, and I love it. Never had a problem, other than the screen did develop a little black spot on it. It's tiny though, maybe 1/16th" dot, and I have no idea what caused it. It was just there one day.

The only thing I don't like, is that it has Vista. I hate Vista! I want to TELL my computer what to do, and where to save files. Vista SUCKS!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

The only thing I don't like, is that it has Vista. I hate Vista! I want to TELL my computer what to do, and where to save files. Vista SUCKS!
Amen! I have an HP, which I am actually very happy with. I have had it for almost 3 years with no problems. But I do loathe Vista.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon View Post
I don't know what I should get for a new laptop once I have enough money saved up. I absolutely hate my mother's Toshiba, I'm not very fond of my Dell Desktop, & please don't say a Mac, because I can't see myself going down the route.

Any suggestions? I really don't know what would be the most reliable. My Step-Dad's HP seems to work really good... but it hardly has any programs on it.
Too bad, I am going to say it. Mac. You need a Mac. I was very hesitant to getting a Mac because of how different it was, but I was honestly just so effing tired of Windows, I just went for it. It took a few weeks to get used to, but now I will never ever go back to Windows. Forget about trends and what is or isn't considered "cool", at the end of the day, Mac's are extremely good products. My mom got a new comp with Windows Vista about a year ago and over the past year it has gotten infected with so many rogue programs and spyware, it is ridiculous. I haven't used Windows 7, but I personally find Vista a pain in the ass to operate. XP was much easier. I've had my Mac for three years and still have yet to get a virus or any spyware on it. It runs as fast as the day I bought it. So even tho you don't see yourself going that route, if you have the money, I say get a Mac. You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
Too bad, I am going to say it. Mac. You need a Mac. I was very hesitant to getting a Mac because of how different it was, but I was honestly just so effing tired of Windows, I just went for it. It took a few weeks to get used to, but now I will never ever go back to Windows. Forget about trends and what is or isn't considered "cool", at the end of the day, Mac's are extremely good products. My mom got a new comp with Windows Vista about a year ago and over the past year it has gotten infected with so many rogue programs and spyware, it is ridiculous. I haven't used Windows 7, but I personally find Vista a pain in the ass to operate. XP was much easier. I've had my Mac for three years and still have yet to get a virus or any spyware on it. It runs as fast as the day I bought it. So even tho you don't see yourself going that route, if you have the money, I say get a Mac. You won't be disappointed.
Random but PLEASE knock on wood! It'll do my head in if you don't.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My brother in law has a Mac and says the same things. I've never really looked at his laptop- what makes it so different?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
My brother in law has a Mac and says the same things. I've never really looked at his laptop- what makes it so different?
My best friend has a Mac, and it's like 3 years old, and he still swears it's the best thing ever.

He says that they're more stable. Much less prone to crashes, and much more virus resistant.

BUT, he also paid, I believe, like $2200 for it. My Toshiba, with 17"monitor, 3GB, and 250gig HD, was only $348. Walmart's back to school special, a year ago. They had the same deal, this past August.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
Amen! I have an HP, which I am actually very happy with. I have had it for almost 3 years with no problems. But I do loathe Vista.
Yeah, I know. And my biggest problem is, that I've got so many applications and crap on here, that I HATE to reformat it. Or I'd have my nerd friend put W7 on it.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Yeah, I know. And my biggest problem is, that I've got so many applications and crap on here, that I HATE to reformat it. Or I'd have my nerd friend put W7 on it.
love, love windows 7~ it came free when i bought my new hp~
Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I effing LOVEEE my Mac. Seriously I could never ever go back.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I effing LOVEEE my Mac. Seriously I could never ever go back.
Same here. I have had my aluminum Macbook Pro for 2 years now, and it still operates like the day I bought it. Unlike all the various Windows products I'd owned which ran like crap after 2-3 months... and were totally toast within 2-3 years. The Mac may be pricier initially, but it pays for itself over the long run. I'll never go back to PC again!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Registered

Jannie and others who asked about Mac:
Mac gets my vote, too. I have an iBook G4, so it's not the newest model, at all.
It is just very reliable and long lasting. There are nice features like Guitar Band, to make your own song demos- with built in 'studio' features, like a recording mic and reverb and auto tune and pitch corrections- various built-in features allow creating a musical track without being able to actually play any instruments at all - helpful in my case. The more time you spend programming it, the better the tracks sound- You can mix and edit, though it hurts my ADD bad! , I play around with it.
The Macs have many features I can't begin to describe (or take full adavantage of!) but generally, it's pretty easy to use.
This Mac I have has unused film-making capablilites, with a film editing program, neither of which I have checked out yet, and it's generally more 'arty' than 'techie' so I find it easier to use than other computers.
If they only had Mac cable tv companies, I'd be all set. I hate the impossibly difficult U-Verse from ATT (90,000 channels, but so hard to use, it's ruined tv for me- I watch it at my parents and refuse to have cable at my own house). I swear, my parents TV actually seems to crash, the cable box is so so freakin intricate, and it takes a good hour to get the cable back, when it 'goes'- about once every 10 days! The tv is a Sony 56" high def flat screen tv, and top of the line, but honestly, I think their old house needs to be rewired to accomodate the technology! Overhead lights dim, lightbulbs don't last, all since they got the big tv with a tuner, cable box, dvd, and so many wires and cables I could puke Forget about being able to use only one remote with it, either. I hate tv now. I just want to press power and change channels, not get a new degree. MIT grads only should bother with AT&T UVerse. Just my opinion- some people love it. I use AT&T for phone and wireless and it's good.
Back to Macs- They do cost more, but my laptop was $1600 and it now about five years old, so maybe they are now less expensive, I don't know. They are pretty much crash proof. I crashed it once, but it was my fault. Got it working again just by reinstalling the original disks.
To my knowledge, my Mac hasn't ever been hacked into, either. With previous computers, I had my credit card information stolen either twice or three times, once with eBay, once with PayPal-- it all worked out, but I think Macs may be more secure because the hackers are less familiar with them.
I may be wrong, but I think Macs are more 'secure' than pcs. Whatev.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 01-03-2011 at 02:16 AM..
Old 01-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Silver Springs
This message has been deleted by Silver Springs. Reason: Shut Up Bee
Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon View Post

Any suggestions? I really don't know what would be the most reliable. My Step-Dad's HP seems to work really good... but it hardly has any programs on it.
I can highly recommend HP, although I hope to move to the Mac camp in the next year or two. I thought I'd never get used to Macs when I had to start using them at college but I picked it up very quickly and now I'm hooked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
My legwarmers (well legwarmer. I couldn't be bothered to pull the other one out of the box )

<-- creeper creepin'
Love them! The gathering is sweet!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mac: no support for flash, expensive hardware, limited software and peripherals. Fail.

PC: universal compatibility, competitive prices, more power for the money, but prone to viruses. Win. But not by much.

I have a recent-ish HP laptop with Windows 7 that I absolutely adore. I do admire Apple as a company, and I love their i___ products. But I really, really detest their business model of restrictive price competition and retail outlets.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Bono is LOVE.

JTIS.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
Bono is LOVE.

JTIS.