Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i thought it was drugs and alcohol on top of fame, and intraband love-hate relationships.

did Lindsey really listen to KC and RD on Tusk? Ken complains all the time that he didn't.
That's just it- they started alienating themselves from their inner circle once they hit it big with Rumours. It was the addiction to fame, substances, and lust that fueled it for sure. Once they started eschewing the people who were their support team before their stratospheric fame hit- the people who knew them when they were nobodies & who weren't yes men zombies- their music suffered hugely. Tusk was their masterpiece because they were on the brink of being completely nuts, but hadn't fallen off the precipice just yet. That ended up happening during the Tusk tour, and it was all downhill from there.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
When I read this article about Lady Gaga, it really made me think of Fleetwood Mac:

http://nypost.com/2013/12/14/what-ha...-to-lady-gaga/

Why? The parts where it mentions the typical star's rise & fall from fame. Bands don't just make it because of their talent- they make it because of their talent combined with the talent of their producers, engineers, managers, stylists, etc. The article states that the beginning of the end of musical artists is when they either lose or fire these vital behind the scenes people. Seems pretty apt in Fleetwood Mac's case- when they shoved the likes of Richard Dashut, Ken Caillat, Judy Wong, and John Courage out the door, they completely fell apart.

I bring this up in this particular thread because the Mac NEEDS Richard & Ken. Extended Play was simply awful- they need to stay far, far away from Mitchell Froom. Lindsey is a great producer, don't get me wrong, but the band can still benefit hugely from an outside producer who is a good fit for them.

Extended play was absolutely awful, but that doesn't mean they need Richard or ken. They just Need to try a little effin harder. There was absolutely nothing wrong with SYW. If they turn in SYW level quality songs plus Christine ill be very satisfied. I don't want to hear about how un cohesive the album was. As individuals songs the album was a winner, especially if each writer trimmed their 3 worst songs. And id even go as far as to say it actually feels very cohesive in parts. Murrow feels right at home next to Illume. Peacekeeper come and smile at you all flow perfectly into each other.

And any faults actually left with SYW will be fixed this time around with the fact that Christine is back and they are all going into record at the same time.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Do you really think they would work with other producers than they did on EP and the rest of the 5 LB songs? That is most reasonable the input from LB, they are working on CM's and SN's material right now, I think. Or they are rerecording Lindsey's songs too? No. If they want to do it in a short amount of time, they have to fit it in the batch that is recorded in 2012.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Extended play was absolutely awful, but that doesn't mean they need Richard or ken. They just Need to try a little effin harder. There was absolutely nothing wrong with SYW. If they turn in SYW level quality songs plus Christine ill be very satisfied. I don't want to hear about how un cohesive the album was. As individuals songs the album was a winner, especially if each writer trimmed their 3 worst songs. And id even go as far as to say it actually feels very cohesive in parts. Murrow feels right at home next to Illume. Peacekeeper come and smile at you all flow perfectly into each other.

And any faults actually left with SYW will be fixed this time around with the fact that Christine is back and they are all going into record at the same time.
I agree: the game is completely different now that Christine is back. Say You Will could have been Tusk 2 if Christine were present. It was a big, epic album with lots of sonic experimentation & personal introspection. It had all the makings of a great album- the formula was just off because Christine wasn't there to bridge the manic Buckingham & Nicks. So if we end up with Lindsey producing, I'll be just fine with that. There will be an artistic edge from Lindsey's zaniness, but Christine will temper his experimentations with a solid foundation.

I still think if they find the proper producer, their music can be taken to another level, though. For instance, it seems Richard & Ken brought out a warmth of sound from the band that hasn't been present since their departure. As a comparison, Lindsey's production tends to be much sharper, and Froom's was just plain flat, in my opinion.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I see Lindsey doing the demos, then them bringing someone else (Mitchell Froom, Matt Serletec, Rick Rubin) in to fine tune it ~
Old 03-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The article states that the beginning of the end of musical artists is when they either lose or fire these vital behind the scenes people. Seems pretty apt in Fleetwood Mac's case- when they shoved the likes of Richard Dashut, Ken Caillat, Judy Wong, and John Courage out the door, they completely fell apart.
Interesting theory, however, I don’t agree with it. Fleetwood Mac’s downfall was when they started doing solo albums.

Judy Wong’s position was eliminated when Stevie’s new manager, Irving Azoff, shut down Seedy Management in 1980, long before their popularity declined. John Courage became Christine’s manager in 1984 and was with her until “The Dance” when she decided to retire. Richard Dashut stayed with Lindsey for “Out Of The Cradle” and came back into the Fleetwood Mac fold for “Time.” He even got a thanks on “Say You Will.” Ken Caillat was hired by Christine to produce “In The Meantime.” I don’t see it as them being shown the door so much as the band’s output dwindled to almost nothing, and out of sight, out of mind. Given the choice and opportunity, they’ve mostly stuck with their crew.

More than anything, Stevie’s changing voice (going from more throaty to more nasal), putting on more weight, and going on Klonopin, mixed with Lindsey Buckingham quitting the band, all around the same time, did more to hurt them than anything. I think “Rock A Little,” “Red Rocks,” the “Tango...” tour video, her contributions to “Tango,” and TOSOTM did more to hurt Fleetwood Mac than losing their support staff.

Said same staff, minus Courage, were NOT a part of “The Dance,” which was a huge hit for Fleetwood Mac, and there were some misses for the band (individually and as a whole) prior to that.

Quote:
I bring this up in this particular thread because the Mac NEEDS Richard & Ken. Extended Play was simply awful- they need to stay far, far away from Mitchell Froom. Lindsey is a great producer, don't get me wrong, but the band can still benefit hugely from an outside producer who is a good fit for them.
Disagree. Froom's body of work shows that he wasn't necessarily the problem. "Daring Adventures" and "Rumor and Sigh" by Richard Thomspon, and even "Luka" by Susanne Vega suggest otherwise

ETA: However, if Ken and Richard want to record, and the band is happy with that, then go for those two. If not, then Froom would be my go to. It's hard to blame somebody when they weren't working in the same studio the band did during "Tusk."

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 03-21-2014 at 08:04 PM..
Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Two paths they could go - get a producer from the past or some current hot producer. Personally I'd go with the past.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

doesn't sound like Dave Stewart will have anything to do with producing FM album:

Dave Stewart ‏@DaveStewart 23m
start recording Hollie Stephenson Music again in Jamaica April 4th http://fb.me/3lqEezLIB

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
doesn't sound like Dave Stewart will have anything to do with producing FM album:

start recording Hollie Stephenson Music again in Jamaica April 4th http://fb.me/3lqEezLIB
thank god.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
thank god.
Dave probably won't be in Jamaica for more than a few days since he works rather quickly...I would prefer Dave have some involvement with Stevie's songs instead of one of LB's weird producers...
Old 03-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Dave Stewart would bring the polished sound and warmth that many in Fleetwood Mac's audience -- both diehard and casual -- enjoy and appreciate in their work. He also has an ear for the "quirky," when it suits the music or artist.

Mitchell Froom, while a great producer for other artists, proved to be a miss-match and a dud, IMO.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Dave probably won't be in Jamaica for more than a few days since he works rather quickly...I would prefer Dave have some involvement with Stevie's songs instead of one of LB's weird producers...
you are not the least bit interested how some new collaborations may sound?

LB's weird producers. here are their wiki profiles:

Mitchell Froom - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Froom
Jon Brion - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Brion
and then also Dave Stewart - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_A._Stewart

not sure whether we heard any other possible producers being mentioned?

the 2 from FM's past:

Ken Caillat - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Caillat
Richard Dashut - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dashut

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I adore what Dave brought out of Stevie for In Your Dreams. It's arguably the best album she's made since Bella Donna. However, the possibility of Dave & Fleetwood Mac makes me extremely nervous. The warm sound he'd bring out of the band would no doubt be fantastic. I just fear he'd be a bit heavy handed & overly polish the music. I don't know- if the band isn't going to use Ken & Richard or Lindsey as their producer, they should probably scout fresh talent.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I could see Jon Brion & Stevie working well together. He's a lyricist, among his other skills, so I think there would be a level of mutual trust and understanding between them during the recording process.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I adore what Dave brought out of Stevie for In Your Dreams. It's arguably the best album she's made since Bella Donna. However, the possibility of Dave & Fleetwood Mac makes me extremely nervous. The warm sound he'd bring out of the band would no doubt be fantastic. I just fear he'd be a bit heavy handed & overly polish the music. I don't know- if the band isn't going to use Ken & Richard or Lindsey as their producer, they should probably scout fresh talent.
I understand where you're coming from, but based on his work with other artists, he really does seem to have a knack for adapting his production aesthetic to suit the artist he's working with. So if Fleetwood Mac isn't looking for an overly-polished sound, I don't think that Dave would go there.

To my ears, there really isn't anything on 'In Your Dreams' that wouldn't sit beautifully on a Mac album. Dave did a great job of capturing the best aspects of Stevie's past work, while also bringing something current to the mix. So the album sounds "classic" yet avoids sounding like a re-tread.

I can see why he wouldn't appeal to anyone who's looking for a 'Tusk' redux, but I'm willing to bet that he'd be the most likely producer to highlight all of the band's best elements -- and not just one stylistic approach over another.