Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
Ok everyone knows rule# 1 here that you don't go in any kind of freshwater because of alligators so how do you all do it in TX Louie? I know you have them. Or is it just extreme south Texas?
No gators in this neck of the woods... we're in the Southwest here in Austin. There are very few fish in Lake Travis even, because the water's too clear and devoid of nutrients and plant life.

Caddo lake near where Mom's side of the family lives in East TX on the LA border has many gators, tho:

Old 12-27-2010, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had no idea there were gators in Texas? I thought they were only in Florida with the snowbirds?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I had no idea there were gators in Texas? I thought they were only in Florida with the snowbirds?
The gators are in the swamps of the Gulf coast section of Texas, and in the Bayou Country of East Texas.

We have none here in Austin... we're in the arid Southwest here. Instead we have tarantulas, scorpions, and 9 inch long stinging centipedes:

Old 12-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is where I like to jog when I'm home. I'll miss it in Seattle.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I'll miss it in Seattle.
Did they catch the ax killer yet?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The scorpions here I've seen are clearish, and really tiny and I've only had 1 find it's way into the house over the summer and I swept it up and threw it out. I've been good at keeping all critters outside by keeping the front doors shut all times. The pool lanai doors in back I still have to watch when opened, because things can still find their way inside the pool cage. How, I don't know. But lizards, and baby spiders and the occasional palmetto bug will be inside the pool area. It's Florida and you will have these things.

Last edited by fringed n fab; 12-27-2010 at 02:20 AM..
Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The scorpions here I've seen are clearish, and really tiny and I've only had 1 find it's way into the house over the summer and I swept it up and threw it out. I've been good at keeping all critters outside by keeping the front doors shut all times. The pool lanai doors in back I still have to watch when opened, because things can still find their way inside the pool cage. How, I don't know. But lizards, and baby spiders and the occasional palmetto bug will be inside the pool area. It's Florida and you will have these things.
Ooh! You have one of those fancy screened in pools? I always find those so neat when driving through Florida. Ahh, what I'd give for a house... much less a house with a pool! I'm so sick of living in attached housing .
Old 12-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Did they catch the ax killer yet?
Thankfully. Ends up he killed two people, both with axes... not just the one.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Ooh! You have one of those fancy screened in pools? I always find those so neat when driving through Florida. Ahh, what I'd give for a house... much less a house with a pool! I'm so sick of living in attached housing .
Taken this (cool) Florida morning

Old 12-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Taken this (cool) Florida morning

God, I'd love to have that enclosure around my pool! I can't imagine how much it would cost to build a 50x25 glass building like that. Although, our winters are so cold here, that I can't imagine how much it would cost to heat a pool, even if it were enclosed(especially since I like it hot tub temp! I keep mine around 95-98F in the summer). Beautiful pool pic!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
God, I'd love to have that enclosure around my pool! I can't imagine how much it would cost to build a 50x25 glass building like that. Although, our winters are so cold here, that I can't imagine how much it would cost to heat a pool, even if it were enclosed(especially since I like it hot tub temp! I keep mine around 95-98F in the summer). Beautiful pool pic!
Thanks. This house came with all that thankfully. From what I've heard on HGTV shows and people in Florida, a screened enclosure can cost 25 to 30 thousand dollars or more.... and they're nice to have, keeps the mosquitos and most critters out and a plus is you don't have leaves etc. blowing in your pool like most up north. Keeping them maintained is so much easier and down here it's considered outdoor living area most of the year.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Looks like I'm going to be spending New Years Eve at home in my jammies. What happened to the days when I got dressed up all pretty and went out with my friends and smiled and danced and thought I was the most beautiful popular lady around and this was completely validated by the crowds of people all around me and the generosity of other? Oh yeah, I stopped getting wasted all the time. The crowd? I stopped going to the popular bar. The generous people? I stopped letting random people buy me drinks. I stopped wasting money on getting wasted and wasting money to pay a babysitter to watch my kids so that I could go get wasted. Errrr... A little bitter? No, not me! In the big scheme of things, NYE doesn't really matter much. I must figure out something special to do on New Years Day! Other than watch the OWN network that will be launched that day!

All right guys- just thought I would share! Cheers!

He asked me for my love
And that was all
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kena View Post
Looks like I'm going to be spending New Years Eve at home in my jammies. What happened to the days when I got dressed up all pretty and went out with my friends and smiled and danced and thought I was the most beautiful popular lady around and this was completely validated by the crowds of people all around me and the generosity of other? Oh yeah, I stopped getting wasted all the time. The crowd? I stopped going to the popular bar. The generous people? I stopped letting random people buy me drinks. I stopped wasting money on getting wasted and wasting money to pay a babysitter to watch my kids so that I could go get wasted. Errrr... A little bitter? No, not me! In the big scheme of things, NYE doesn't really matter much. I must figure out something special to do on New Years Day! Other than watch the OWN network that will be launched that day!

All right guys- just thought I would share! Cheers!
You're better off not getting wasted! Cheers to you for making such a good decision!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

r.i.p jodie Xxx
Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mom is having a double mastectomy on January 14- thanks for all of the support and well wishes!