User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
So interesting that his last public post mentioned his surgery too. Sometimes Twitter and Facebook are chilling. On Twitter, you can see something someone typed with their own fingers just hours or minutes before they passed away. That just makes the suddenness of death all the more real or the line between life and death all the more unreal.

My dad called me a few hours before he had his stroke in 2005 and I always kept the phone bill, showing the long distance phone call.

Michele
My friend from high school tweeted at like 9 pm about being bored and having nothing to do. She was texting a few people around 10:45. The next morning everyone found out that at 11 pm, she lost control of the car on the way to a friends house, ran off an embankment, and hit a tree.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just thought I'd repost one of my favorite FM clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKrA-Z68Cs

As Robert Christgau says of "Lay it All Down" on Future Games: "These white blues (and hippie rockabilly) veterans shouldn't have to depend on new recruit Bob Welch's deftly metallized r&b extrapolation for rock and roll, but unless you count the studio jam, they do."
Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Just thought I'd repost one of my favorite FM clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKrA-Z68Cs

As Robert Christgau says of "Lay it All Down" on Future Games: "These white blues (and hippie rockabilly) veterans shouldn't have to depend on new recruit Bob Welch's deftly metallized r&b extrapolation for rock and roll, but unless you count the studio jam, they do."
Awesome!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey folks... Wendy and the Welch Warriors would love it if you would sign:

http://www.petitiononline.com/bobwelch/petition.html

...this is for the RRHOF.

Many thanks!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Awesome!
I agree! One view of this and you can see how energizing he could be on stage. You'll be missed, Bob!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with the sentiment but I actually think all 15 members should be inducted.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I agree with the sentiment but I actually think all 15 members should be inducted.
15? Which one gets shafted?

John
Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Well, I can see how people like Dave Walker, and Bekka(who is one of my favorite people) might be excluded, only because they were a blip, in the time line....

But an INTEGRAL member, who was on five albums, writing, singing, arranging, and playing? Gimme a freaking break! One bitter member kept him out, and I don't care if it is my favorite member. He died, with it still bothering him, that he wasn't a member, and the person who kept him out should be ashamed.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well, I can see how people like Dave Walker, and Bekka(who is one of my favorite people) might be excluded, only because they were a blip, in the time line....

But an INTEGRAL member, who was on five albums, writing, singing, arranging, and playing? Gimme a freaking break!
This is precisely what I think, too.

As Steve Carr noted in one of his two books on the band, both Fleetwood and Christine Mcvie have gone on record as saying they felt Welch was more central to the band than even Peter Green. You can't undo acknowledgments like that without some people at least taking notice. Unfortunately, not enough people have...
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Ledgie

So, the RRHOF had intended for Bob to be included then???
Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 AM
WhippityP
This message has been deleted by WhippityP.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippityP View Post
Depends on who you ask...

IMO No. It was the RRHOF who overlooked Welch, and not the band or any member of it.

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/20..._fame_snu.html

Others are saying that a member of the band held the RRHOF's feet to the fire to NOT induct him. Or that they had a responsibility to try and persuade the RRHOF to induct him which they didn't uphold for personal reasons.

There surely have been more possible versions of events discussed, but that's what I'm remembering right now.
Bob's WIFE is saying that one of the members refused to attend the ceremony, if he was inducted. And that it wasn't Mick or John. Take that for what you will. I take it as the truth.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM
WhippityP
Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippityP View Post
Fair enough. I should have specifically said that Bob's wife is one of many people who support this theory. Or perhaps that she the main supporter of this idea? Bob himself said things to this effect in (I think) '04 (maybe at other times too).

I didn't fail to give appropriate details on that side of the argument intentionally. I hope it didn't seem that way.

I want to be clear that the "official" RRHOF story is just what I believe is the most plausible version of events, and not absolute truth.

I have a number of specific reasons for believing this, but since this is a sensitive topic I'm going to keep them to myself.
Well, there could be more than one truth. Even if Wendy's story is 100% accurate, that doesn't necessarily mean that something else didn't occur, of which she's unaware.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know now if this a thread about Bob's death and a tribute to him, or about just the RRHOF episode.
I don't know if in 1998 we had a thread about this episode that long. I do remember we talked about all the important missing members in the induction ceremony, but can't remember if we were that upset about Bob not being there or a member forcing the RRHOF to exclude him.

I'm not sure is it's funny or unfair, that we have not discussed this while Bob was alive. Or at least I can't remember. And if we did, I'm sure it wasn't a 24 pages thread.

It's impossible to be sure but I think that right now, wherever Bob is, he doesn't care anymore about that RRHOF induction.

And I hope this does not sound shocking but, what happens is that I find so ironic to talk about this now... But if I had posted a poll before that induction,, who do you prefer to be included, Christine or Bob? (or Lindsey or Bob? Stevie or Bob?..) in any case I'm sure Bob had not won.

Once again, Robert Lawrence Welch, guitarist and songwriter, born 31 July 1946; died 7 June 2012. Rest in Peace please.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

But an INTEGRAL member, who was on five albums, writing, singing, arranging, and playing? Gimme a freaking break! One bitter member kept him out, and I don't care if it is my favorite member. He died, with it still bothering him, that he wasn't a member, and the person who kept him out should be ashamed.
who dat? what's the scoop?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
WhippityP
Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been reading all the posts and find this all interesting, but perhaps a new thread discussing the RRHOF controversy is needed? Maybe moving certain posts to that hypothetical thread?