Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
it's not 'all times' at all. the last activity on this thread was back in late January, and then no one here was talking about Richard and his blog until about mid April when the band was getting ready to play Vegas, where Richard lives, and so there was some curiosity expressed about him going to the show and people wondering how the reconnection between him and the band would go. People genuinely were hoping it was all he seemed to hope it would be. *He* is the one who has openly expressed his desire (and maybe personal need) to close the circle with the band at this stage in life. That was all. Then, when nothing appeared on his blog... and it got to two weeks, three weeks... it started a flurry of conversation based on a lot on concern for him, not irritation or feeling he owed anything. Just "hey, what happened to Richard who is usually pretty blabby??" Now that they've posted something, unless he starts posting juicy bits on the blog, this thread will likely get all quiet again.
I genuinely love the guy. He is just a good soul sharing photos and his experiences. I really hope his health stays intact. He is in a lot of pain.

It was so funny to watch people get so upset because they have a favorite member.. (no mention on which fans got crazy.).. and he didn't cover him/her as much as the other members... or post as many pictures.. or God forbid.. mention CAH!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh goes running and screaming....

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-29-2015 at 02:06 PM..
Old 05-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
maybe he fired Stacy and now doesn't know how to use his blog anymore?
Judging from her comment, this could totally be the case. And yeah, lots of times when something personal falls apart, you're too distracted to focus on anything else(worrying about pleasing us punters).
Old 05-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Richard is what's missing from the last several albums - Lindsey solo, Say You Will, etc. It finally dawned on me recently. The sound that I feel is missing in later releases is Richard. I hope all is ok.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroxman View Post
Richard is what's missing from the last several albums - Lindsey solo, Say You Will, etc. It finally dawned on me recently. The sound that I feel is missing in later releases is Richard. I hope all is ok.
Richard is a (smaller) part of it, but he's not exactly what's missing. Lindsey over thinks things now, and he's lost his gift of editing things into a cohesive package. Make me a 3 minute pop song!
I love What's The World Coming To! I think if he had played it safer, more in WTWCT mode, that SYW would've been more successful(Pardon my morphing from RD to SYW thread).
Richard and Ken could've helped, but ultimately it boils down to what vision(murky now, imo) Lindsey has.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Richard is a (smaller) part of it, but he's not exactly what's missing. Lindsey over thinks things now, and he's lost his gift of editing things into a cohesive package. Make me a 3 minute pop song!
I love What's The World Coming To! I think if he had played it safer, more in WTWCT mode, that SYW would've been more successful(Pardon my morphing from RD to SYW thread).
Richard and Ken could've helped, but ultimately it boils down to what vision(murky now, imo) Lindsey has.
I agree. I love the slice of powerpop they opened SYW with. I assume at their level of success, there is no one around to "edit" their self-indulgent impulses, hence an 18 track cd!! and I may be alone in this, but after about 5 years of the acoustic Big Love, I much prefer the 3 minute full -band 80's version. We ALL know he can finger-pick a guitar like no one's business. enough already!
Old 05-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Agreed, Richard is needed to "edit" those impulses .

Acoustic Big Love - it made its debut in 1993. It is great, but it's also time to put it rest. A Full band version - A+++++.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ha see, What's The World Coming To is the only LB song that i absolutely cannot stand on SYW!

our tastes are so different and what one of us likes others might dislike. LB loves what he did with Tusk and considers it one of his biggest successes while Ken Caillat considers it a complete failure cause LB didn't want to do what Ken wanted. so it all depends on what you like (i know you know that!)

and speaking of crafting perfect little pop songs lately - you must have not listened to much of SWS. or even Sad Angel.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I sympathize with Lindsey on SYW. It wasn't his intention for most of it to be part of a Fleetwood Mac album. He had a vision for what that project was going to be, and was probably trying to keep it as close to that original vision as possible. In retrospect, he would have been better off starting over with all new songs instead of just two new songs and seven songs originally slated for a different project, especially in terms of making a cohesive project with Stevie (versus trying to make Stevie's songs fit his vision for what had been "his" project).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Judging from her comment, this could totally be the case. And yeah, lots of times when something personal falls apart, you're too distracted to focus on anything else(worrying about pleasing us punters).
Ok, so what did he say? I'm assuming this was on Facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
ha see, What's The World Coming To is the only LB song that i absolutely cannot stand on SYW!
I agree. I'm not a big fan of Lindsey going the pop route- I prefer his esoteric & harder rocking stuff. Plus, the lyrics to What's The World Coming To just seem whiney to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I sympathize with Lindsey on SYW. It wasn't his intention for most of it to be part of a Fleetwood Mac album. He had a vision for what that project was going to be, and was probably trying to keep it as close to that original vision as possible. In retrospect, he would have been better off starting over with all new songs instead of just two new songs and seven songs originally slated for a different project, especially in terms of making a cohesive project with Stevie (versus trying to make Stevie's songs fit his vision for what had been "his" project).
I definitely agree with the sentiment of wishing our Macsters would bring fresh material to albums- however, they've never really done that. Everything they've ever released inside or outside of FM has overlapped.

The more time goes on, the more I respect Lindsey for going the less safe route. Say You Will would have been Tusk II had Christine been involved to balance out the sound of the album more. Her pop goodness would have bridged the manic divide between Stevie & Lindsey's songs. And it would have been one hell of an album.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

WTWCT is probably my least favourite of Lindsey's SYW tracks too though a few lines of it are quite good lyrically, lol... Mick said something about 'Say You Will' in his book which I thought was interesting:

"His self-sufficiency proved to be a bigger problem for Stevie than he could have imagined. It made her feel apart and a bit of an outsider when it came to writing. As the only other songwriter in the band, Stevie had thought she and Lindsey were going to have a new and closer creative partnership. But instead, she felt separated from the proceedings, and that was not good. In retrospect, Lindsey has said that he brought in too much of a preconceived vision and if given the chance, he’d not do that again, because it alienated her."

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 05-04-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
WTWCT is probably my least favourite of Lindsey's SYW tracks too though a few lines of it are quite good lyrically, lol... Mick said something about 'Say You Will' in his book which I thought was interesting:

"His self-sufficiency proved to be a bigger problem for Stevie than he could have imagined. It made her feel apart and a bit of an outsider when it came to writing. As the only other songwriter in the band, Stevie had thought she and Lindsey were going to have a new and closer creative partnership. But instead, she felt separated from the proceedings, and that was not good. In retrospect, Lindsey has said that he brought in too much of a preconceived vision and if given the chance, he’d not do that again, because it alienated her."
I remember you posted this in B/N.. (thank you).. I always thought they would collaborate much more after Christine left. When Stevie wasn't around for Tango, you got a lot more merging of Buckingham/McVie material. That didn't happen in SYW.. much to my dismay and surprise.

I don't like WTWCT, either.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Ok, so what did he say? I'm assuming this was on Facebook?

Yes, and I forget the exact quote now, but I got the feeling they were having relationship problems. I could have misinterpreted it, though.

My point was, that if they are, I understand why their FM posts would fall by the wayside. At least temporarily.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 05-04-2015 at 05:33 PM..
Old 05-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Where has Richard been? Why has be not been on tumblr? I was looking forward to his reunion with Christine and the rest of the band again when they were in Las Vegas.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I definitely agree with the sentiment of wishing our Macsters would bring fresh material to albums- however, they've never really done that. Everything they've ever released inside or outside of FM has overlapped.
The difference being that Lindsey's SYW songs were specifically made for a solo album that was finished and submitted to the label. There was a change in leadership at that time, and the new guard strongly encouraged him to turn it into a Fleetwood Mac album. So, he HAD to incorporate another songwriter-vocalist and maintain as much continuity as possible. VERY different from the other projects.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I see Richard reTwitted a message a couple of days ago from a fan- 'maybe they scooped him up for the overseas tour???'
Of all things to post- I do hope he's giving out a message.