User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Oh please. Like she would have anything creatively to offer to the project. She should of just had some songs written for her like Seven Wonders and went into the studio for a week.
Exactly! The meaning of this so-called "meaningless verses" are just speculation. What's certain is that Tango was the last FM album thanks to Stevie. Nothing can change that.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
thank you. i'm dumbfolded too. reading those comments i have to doubt whether most of those people are really familiar with his solo work, but like you said - at least they may know and have mac stuff to compare to.
Thank you!!! I thought I was "Going Insane"
Since when is it a criticism of Lindsey Buckingham with or without the Mac to change his sound. Its cool either way. I just see too many Tango and Tusk lovers complaining this single sounds too much like a Lindsey solo song. Wha wha wha wha what?
Old 04-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
As the unofficial referee of this board, I am blowing the whistle and crying foul.
There seems to be many comments about this new single that state it sounds too much like a Lindsey solo song. Excuse me? Many of these same posters claim Tango and Tusk as their favorite Fleetwood Mac albums. I just don't get it. Lindsey's Tango songs were stripped of any Mac identity but yet they love them. Same with Tusk. Why is this single being treated different? This song on Tango or Tusk would sound so much like Fleetwood Mac. At least it has a real bass line that may be John McVie and Mick on drums. Please explain.
Because Say You Will was two solo albums and after hearing how this was such a collaborative effort, we get a solo song. It's basically all Lindsey. After decade of waiting, bring on Christine. Nobody wants two solo albums masquerading as duets album like Say You Will. And the production doesn't even sound as top notch as Say You Will.

Until I hear the whole album, I can't really judge. I like the song but I wish it were produced differently. I might end up loving the album but I'm not as excited for it.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

.......ok so after several listens I really like this track. Lindsey's solo/Mac songs have been blurred so much over the years IMO.I also never think of anything being " two solo albums put together as one" it's just how this band seems to work since Mirage. As DIE HARD Fans we are not the majority . The rest of the 95% of MAC fans.......clueless. (Not a bad thing) but it's not me. 😎
Old 04-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like this song. Sounds very FM to me. Surely Christine is playing on it, giving it a more melodic sound. It doesn't necessarily bother me that she isn't singing on it. Can't help but realize how much I missed that rhythm section of Mick and John. They are SO GOOD!!! This song is very catchy and makes me want to hear more of the album. It's a great teaser track!

I've pre-ordered the cd on Amazon. It's selling for $11.99.

Last edited by jwd; 04-15-2017 at 02:09 PM..
Old 04-15-2017, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk is my favourite album, and I also love SYW. Which is why I'm not complaining that this is predominantly a Lindsey track. I've listened to it many times now and it is growing on me, it's moved from "it's ok" to "I like it" not quite a "love it" yet but I'm holding off voting in the othet thread just in case. It has made me a lot more interested in the album than I was previously, so that's a very good thing

Oh yes and I've had it stuck in my head all afternoon whilst out shopping, a definite earworm.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Oh please. Like she would have anything creatively to offer to the project. She should of just had some songs written for her like Seven Wonders and went into the studio for a week.
What I meant was that she was well within her rights not to sing harmonies or have anything to do with a song that was written specifically to mock her. Or to record any other song for any album that contains such a song. They are all about 70 years old. If she wants to spend the rest of her life without having to deal with this then good for her. If I were in her place I'd walk away too, and whatever they may say most others here would do so too.

Of course, I and many others on this board may be incorrect to assume this song is about her. Those lyrics could be about the political landscape or whirling dervishes for all I can tell. Still doesn't change how musically monotonous it is. I read over and over how Lindsey is always trying to push the envelope etc. What precisely about this particular song is proof that he is capable of doing so? Is there anything earthshattering or musically innovative about this song? The excessively processed vocals in which Lindsey seems to suggest that harmonies in a chorus should be sung before, after, but never on the beat? Or that some of his disembodied voices in the choruses seem to be piped in from another dimension? Is that what makes Lindsey the most underrated musician etc.? I hope not.

I loved his work on Tango and the original GOS because I can hear him work. Every note on the best songs on those albums is written, or more exactly composed, to perfection. That is craftsmanship. You can't budge one note without ruining the song. But In My World has none of those qualities, just a ping-ping-ping over and over while Mick or somebody makes weird percussion noises and John busily tries to fill in the spaces left by the inadequate musical line. Is that proper musical arrangement? I'd rather listen to disco then!

Madness Fades above said this much better than I can. The most honest review and musical analysis of the song I've read anywhere.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
What's certain is that Tango was the last FM album thanks to Stevie. Nothing can change that.
Why aren't Behind the Mask, Time and Say You Will Fleetwood Mac albums?
Old 04-15-2017, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
What I meant was that she was well within her rights not to sing harmonies or have anything to do with a song that was written specifically to mock her. Or to record any other song for any album that contains such a song. They are all about 70 years old. If she wants to spend the rest of her life without having to deal with this then good for her. If I were in her place I'd walk away too, and whatever they may say most others here would do so too.

Of course, I and many others on this board may be incorrect to assume this song is about her.
I can totally understand Stevie not wanting to work on an album with Lindsey, given their dynamic. She needs to be doing what makes her happy.

I'm unsure at the moment as to whether this song is mocking her. On some listens I was convinced he was and it put me off the song, now I'm not so sure....
Old 04-15-2017, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
Is this song really a jab at Stevie for refusing to record with Fleetwood Mac? (I certainly can't tell from the meaningless verses.) And was this one of the songs they presented to her in 2012 to sing along to? If so, then why is anybody surprised she refuses to have any more part in this frankly tiresome drama? Why would anyone in her right mind sing harmonies to a song deliberately mocking herself? It now transpires that for once she has shown some sense and discretion. I used to think that she was being selfish for refusing to record with Fleetwood Mac, but after listening to this undercooked (after 5 years of roasting!) song and reading the comments about its intent, it is crystal clear that it is Lindsey who is being childish and petty and needlessly provocative, and who has an inflated sense of his own position in the scheme of things. Not everyone wants to be "In His World." I wonder if his kids roll their eyes every time he breaks into one of his eternal chain of being speeches

I feel like being childish and petty myself and buying 24KG instead of BuckVie on June 9 I'd definitely rather to listen to All the Beautiful Worlds than this epitome of churlish and musically vapid smallmindedness. Poor John, I could almost feel the desperation as his bassline tries helplessly to counterpoint and to provide even a smidgen of variety to distract the listener from Lindsey's ping-ping-ping motif repeated over and over as if it were a motif from Die Walkure. But not even the greatest rhythm section can propel a song that has almost nothing going for it.

They had better have a Little Lies Part II there somewhere or BuckVie will tank even worse than Time. Thank goodness it is not going out under the Fleetwood Mac label. Tango is now officially the swan song of the Classic Mac.

Now I wish I could change my screen ID, darn.

You dropped your rattle

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only solo album I liked from Lindsay was "Out of the cradle." The entire album. I liked "Trouble," from "Law and Order," and "Go Insane," the title track was decent. Loved the two songs from the "Vacation" soundtrack as well. But I didn't like his solo music after "Cradle" at all, including this new song.
I liked his stuff on "SYW" except for "Come."
Old 04-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

People seem to be saying the lyrics to this song are a dig at Stevie.
I don't buy it, personally. The overall tone of this song is that of loss and sadness. It might well be about her, but I'd be more inclined to think the message is 'farewell, its sad you are no longer with us'. He also tells the person he's addressing they have a heart of gold. That's hardly a dig, is it?

Also, though they put this song together several years ago, there's very possibility the vocals were re-recorded with new lyrics. That wouldn't have been difficult for Lindsey to do at any time.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Though I can appreciate some of the criticisms of this song, the passage from 2.13 to 2.28 is absolutely incredible...really atmospheric.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
People seem to be saying the lyrics to this song are a dig at Stevie.
I don't buy it, personally. The overall tone of this song is that of loss and sadness. It might well be about her, but I'd be more inclined to think the message is 'farewell, its sad you are no longer with us'. He also tells the person he's addressing they have a heart of gold. That's hardly a dig, is it?
Yes on the last few listens I didn't hear the chorus as a dig at Stevie, and the verses have some very sweet sentiments. I love the "farewell heart of gold" and "farewell liberty" lines

found on the web...

Song Lyrics:
Fare...farewell heart of gold.
Maybe we're lost without the cost
of stories that we told.

(Chorus) In my world everybody stays,
nobody wishes for words they couldn't say
Bless my soul, let the night unfurl
dancing, spinning, dreaming, singing in my world.

Fare...farewell liberty.
Maybe we're lost without the cost
of who we used to be.

Chorus X 2

Lay...lay down, fall about.
Take your time to cross the line,
all without a doubt.

Chorus X 3
Old 04-15-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
Lindsey's voice sounds very processed on the chorus...much higher than it actually is. It has an Alvin and The Chipmunks vibe going on. Otherwise, I think it's a great song.
I think that's Christine and Lindsey.