User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
I remember in the 70's there were studies done on plants related to music, pain etcetera which showed plants were responsive (some would say sentient!) George Washington Carver trained roses to grow without any thorns! There's more to that but I think thats a topic for another thread..
Which is why I brought that up in Brown Eyes thread regarding those who abort babies being murderers. I pointed out that plants were living and repsonsive things, and that I had failed to water one of mine and it died, so I could be called a murderer for that. Yet I was practically called insane.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Oh we will dear. Collapsing in the gutters of Sydney, we'll have plenty of time for stories as we see the night away in the lock-up.
Gosh, now that you describe it that way, you're making me very jealous!! And, hey, I have family stories to beat the band!
JK, you two can get smashed by yourselves if you want.... After all, you are betrothed. Who am i too make a third wheel?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Pull out those threads, dear, I haven't eaten meat since November (the last time I had General Tso's), if memory serves correctly, and don't plan to in the near future.

How easy it must be for you to point to someone's past behaviors and call them hypocrites even after they change those behaviors. You made a point of calling me out as a past Democrat last night, just as you're now making a point of calling me out as a past meat eater. Unfortunately, I fail to see the relevance of both.

I did last night because as I explained then, the relevance was you said you were not a Democrat which I took to mean you were saying you never were. Thus, as I explained I thought the statement "I am no longer a D" would have been a clearer statement. I then thanked you for clarifying for me what I mistakenly inferred. Again, for incorrectly inferring

As for eating meat, I glad you quit three or four months ago - good for you. Again, I think I said you had stopped recently Thus, how did I misstate anything?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
No, the animal isn't killed to make the dairy products or to collect the eggs, but once the cows stop producing milk and the hens stop laying - to the slaughterhouse they go.
Also, to produce the milk, cows must be bred regularly. And since very few bulls are needed to keep all those cows pregnant, the male calves end up becoming veal. The female calves are raised to become dairy cows, where they'll be bred, have calves (the females will become dairy cows and eventually be slaughtered, the males will become veal), eventually be unable to make anymore milk, and be slaughtered like their mothers before them.
So being a lacto-ovo vegetarian still supports the meat industry, but not quite to the same degree as people who incorporate meat into their diets.
Maybe one day I'll be vegan, but first they need to make soy milk that tastes good!
yes, true. I was vegan before, but i love soymilk!!! so much! (vitasoy, regular flavor. it practically tastes like a shake to me) and soy butter is good, too. Plus, milk has tryptophan, which makes me tired, anyways. Probably if you drank it for awhile, you'd get used to it. That's how most things are.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Oh we will dear. Collapsing in the gutters of Sydney, we'll have plenty of time for stories as we see the night away in the lock-up.
Lord Child - you aint telling nothin but the truth
Old 02-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
which brings to mind one of my fav. cartoons ever - it is a couple sitting at a table in a rest. and the sign on the wall the waiter is pointing to says "SPECIAL - FROG'S LEGS" - then the guy is smiling in approval of the special and lady is instead looking at the kitchen door when a frof with crutches and no legs is coming out of I think it was a Gary Larson one.

Yep, it was. Oh, Gary, I miss you so!

Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
ummmm...if we didn't domesticate those animals for meat, wouldn't they roam free as god made them, too? Only in less quantities, and only in the environments that are suited to them and can sustain them?
of course, same as the dog or the cat or the chicken.....
and we would still be living in caves had it not been for the wheel, fire, domesticated grains (the wild versions would feed no one) domesticated livestock, and on and on. Its conceivable we might all have to face a drastically different world if Global warming continues to proceed at its current rapid pace, (and all signs point to "yes" btw) and all that we know and do now will become obsolete...kind of like some old Star Trek episodes where primative peoples are surrounded by advanced computers and know absolutely nothing about them....
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As for eating meat, I glad you quit three or four months ago - good for you. Again, I think I said you had stopped recently Thus, how did I misstate anything?
I thought you comment that I "change [my] mind about eating meat seemingly often" was rather misleading regarding how I feel about eating meat. If you can call eating meat for years and then stopping "changing my mind seemingly often," I don't know what to say. I have also never said that others should stop eating meat (save KFC) because that's unrealistic, as much as I would love for it to happen.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yep, it was. Oh, Gary, I miss you so!
OMG - I am SOOOOOO glad someone else has seen it!!!!!!

I had it blown up and framed in my kitchen for YEARS - but it finally just fell apart
Old 02-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just wrote a really long post but lost it somehow. That sucks. Well, the general idea is that I had never seen a potato bug before and was horrified by Amber's story of the one in her shoe. This compelled me to do a google search, and I found Potatobugs.com It's pretty funny. Still, I hate, hate, hate walking sticks. I don't think I could ever hate potato bugs as much as I hate them.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
of course, same as the dog or the cat or the chicken.....
and we would still be living in caves had it not been for the wheel, fire, domesticated grains (the wild versions would feed no one) domesticated livestock, and on and on. Its conceivable we might all have to face a drastically different world if Global warming continues to proceed at its current rapid pace, (and all signs point to "yes" btw) and all that we know and do now will become obsolete...kind of like some old Star Trek episodes where primative peoples are surrounded by advanced computers and know absolutely nothing about them....
I'm not sure i'm getting your point. Or maybe i am, but don't really have anything to say about it.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I thought you comment that I "change [my] mind about eating meat seemingly often" was rather misleading regarding how I feel about eating meat. If you can call eating meat for years and then stopping "changing my mind seemingly often," I don't know what to say. I have also never said that others should stop eating meat (save KFC) because that's unrealistic, as much as I would love for it to happen.
We have had this conversation before and over the years and I remember you saying in that time that you were trying to be a vegetarian - so that is why I used "seemingly" - I did not use that word as a dig - I was saying you seemed to be always trying, etc. So, once again, I am glad you have stopped after trying to for so long.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OMG - I am SOOOOOO glad someone else has seen it!!!!!!

I had it blown up and framed in my kitchen for YEARS - but it finally just fell apart
It's a good one, as are they all. We were what is called "a Far Side family" I grew up on it, we had all the books, it was our fave, etc. My dad, in fact, just got me a far side book for Xmas. It had some "never before published in a book" ones, I was stoked. What about the ones where the driving deers have a human strapped to the front of their car? Bwah!!!!!

Old 02-13-2005, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I just wrote a really long post but lost it somehow. That sucks. Well, the general idea is that I had never seen a potato bug before and was horrified by Amber's story of the one in her shoe. This compelled me to do a google search, and I found Potatobugs.com It's pretty funny. Still, I hate, hate, hate walking sticks. I don't think I could ever hate potato bugs as much as I hate them.
*shudder* that website freaked me out! And yes, walking sticks gross me out, too, as do praying mantises. (manti?). I love watching shows about bugs, but real bugs are just the bane of my existence.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's a good one, as are they all. We were what is called "a Far Side family" I grew up on it, we had all the books, it was our fave, etc. My dad, in fact, just got me a far side book for Xmas. It had some "never before published in a book" ones, I was stoked. What about the ones where the driving deers have a human strapped to the front of their car? Bwah!!!!!
or the fat lady posting the "Lost Dog" sign and the dog is stuck in her but crack