User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I can't pretend to understand what Stevie's saying all of the time (how can anyone) but once you omit a lot of 'you know's, 'well's, 'really's, and 'like's, and you've listened to her talk a lot, it's a little bit easier. A little bit.
gives me a headache just a thought of having to listen to her a lot

i'd rather you all interpret what she thinks for me

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

Well in that case, don't question our interpretations!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well in that case, don't question our interpretations!
oh but that's all the fun of it!!

you know, whenever i or other LB fans try to interpret what he said, all the chiffs jump on us and say "how can you know what he meant better than SN who knew him like forever?"

so opposite might be true too, don't you think? how can people here know what she means better than LB who knew her most of her life?

(i'm not talking about this particular 30-yo song case, just in general, of discussions the last few days. it's been really amusing, reading everybody taking snippets of statements that fit into their interpretation and insisting how right they are )

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 12-06-2012 at 06:14 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
everybody taking snippets of statements that fit into their interpretation and insisting how right they are
That's the way that love life goes....
Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think there's anything abiguous about her saying the songs sound 30, as in, 30 years old. She means they sound like classic Fleetwood Mac, which is what everyone has been saying.
One thing is, I am not sure Stevie and Lindsey know what classic FM sounds like. For me it is not so much the pop as it is the harmonies and how the voices change the meaning of the words. They did achieve this with Soldier's Angel, Miranda, Thrown Down and EFO to me. I hope I can get more along those lines. Actually, they make good darkness together.

Sad Angel scares me because though it is possibly dark, when LB describes it, I just hear the chilling words "what's the matter baby," pop up in my ear.

Michele
Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Am I the only one who thinks this?

I apologize if this was posted previously......a lot of posts to read through but......

Why do these people think that WE THE FANS don't want NEW music anymore????? This infuriates me. Yes the music business is different now but I am beginning to think that THEY don't want to go through the "hassle" of making new music. Are WE THE FANS too old to navigate buying music on the computer? Are WE THE FANS to bothered to buy, hold on to your seats..... A CD?

I don't know, I just feel that it is insulting for FM to say "the fans just don't want new music anymore." Who are these "fans" and if they don't want new music then they shouldn't be fans.

Sorry if this has been discussed but it really irks me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this band, I have been invested since late 70's early 80's, Tango got me hooked for life.

IDK, I think when Stevie started praying to the commerical gods, things when downhill from there................................
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am in a sort of boycott mode and have been for recent years. I buy new material from them, but no repackages, and this time I do not plan to attend a show, I went to Unleashed.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyerflys View Post
I apologize if this was posted previously......a lot of posts to read through but......

Why do these people think that WE THE FANS don't want NEW music anymore????? This infuriates me. Yes the music business is different now but I am beginning to think that THEY don't want to go through the "hassle" of making new music. Are WE THE FANS too old to navigate buying music on the computer? Are WE THE FANS to bothered to buy, hold on to your seats..... A CD?

I don't know, I just feel that it is insulting for FM to say "the fans just don't want new music anymore." Who are these "fans" and if they don't want new music then they shouldn't be fans.

Sorry if this has been discussed but it really irks me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this band, I have been invested since late 70's early 80's, Tango got me hooked for life.

IDK, I think when Stevie started praying to the commerical gods, things when downhill from there................................
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I am in a sort of boycott mode and have been for recent years. I buy new material from them, but no repackages, and this time I do not plan to attend a show, I went to Unleashed.
some info before you jump on blaming the whole band about not wanting to record and release new material:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...&postcount=158

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...&postcount=203

Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
oh but that's all the fun of it!!

you know, whenever i or other LB fans try to interpret what he said, all the chiffs jump on us and say "how can you know what he meant better than SN who knew him like forever?"

so opposite might be true too, don't you think?
I think Stevie and Lindsey's candid, unadorned interpretations of each other's feelings might probably be pretty accurate. But the problem is they often offer distorted images of each other for public consumption and ulterior reasons and that tends to make their assessments and stated views questionable.

Michele
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

I understand, because I feel the same way about Lindsey. Love the man's music (well, up until most of his current output, that is) -- can't stand listening to the man talk for any length of time.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Why do these people think that WE THE FANS don't want NEW music anymore????? This infuriates me.
I'm sure they know/Stevie knows that diehard fans want new music. Diehard fans always want new music. But, as I've said, I truly don't believe that's the reason for her reluctance. It's an easy answer to give the press, without getting into band politics.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's obvious to me that Stevie wants to do the Buckingham/Nicks thing and finally get that album out there and then go back to her solo career. She doesn't want to do a Fleetwood Mac album. She didn't like the results of Say You Will and Fleetwood Mac is not the same for her with Christine gone. The best results in decades came from working with Dave Stewart and she wants to end her career on a good note. She only has soo much time. She fealt jumped by the boys in the band about doing another album.

Last edited by Jondalar; 12-07-2012 at 05:59 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know, I just feel that it is insulting for FM to say "the fans just don't want new music anymore."
Yes, it's insulting, but a little less insulting than her saying she wasn't putting out a new solo album because fans were just stealing her music. Apathy is a step up from her accusations of thievery.

Of course, people do illegally download music, but "fans" generally buy multiple copies and collectors' editions and reissues and . . .

Michele
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think Stevie and Lindsey's candid, unadorned interpretations of each other's feelings might probably be pretty accurate. But the problem is they often offer distorted images of each other for public consumption and ulterior reasons and that tends to make their assessments and stated views questionable.

Michele
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, it's insulting, but a little less insulting than her saying she wasn't putting out a new solo album because fans were just stealing her music. Apathy is a step up from her accusations of thievery.

Of course, people do illegally download music, but "fans" generally buy multiple copies and collectors' editions and reissues and . . .

Michele
I've been thinking about this. Someone needs to give Stevie some updated information. I think there is a higher percentage of people who wouldn't buy their stuff anyway that would be more likely to download illegally -- and even if "fans" do the download, like you say, they probably will buy possible multiple copies, so it washes out. They aren't losing sales, I don't think. But, if she thinks the reason they don't sell Rumours era volume, someone needs to explain it's not due to internet piracy. I don't even know that many people who do that anymore - for anything other than bootlegs - not for new releases. Everyone I know just purchases via iTunes or Amazon.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Agree.

I've been thinking about this. Someone needs to give Stevie some updated information. I think there is a higher percentage of people who wouldn't buy their stuff anyway that would be more likely to download illegally -- and even if "fans" do the download, like you say, they probably will buy possible multiple copies, so it washes out. They aren't losing sales, I don't think. But, if she thinks the reason they don't sell Rumours era volume, someone needs to explain it's not due to internet piracy. I don't even know that many people who do that anymore - for anything other than bootlegs - not for new releases. Everyone I know just purchases via iTunes or Amazon.
I mean, I know tons of people who illegally download. But like you said, it's never people they're terribly invested in (unless they're DLing bootlegs). It's the people that they can't be bothered to go to the store and buy the album for, or don't want to spend $10 on, but want to hear it anyway. Usually FANS of stuff will go out and buy it because they want to support the artist. So the issue is, do FM have enough fan's to make an impact? I think even casual fans would probably buy the album. It's usually the people who just don't care either way that illegally DL.

Like you said, Stevie & FM's percieved lack of sales probably in the long run has little to do with internet piracy. I'm sure that affected a select, small portion of how much they could have sold - but probably not enough to even make a blip on the radar. The fact of the matter is that they're not in the limelight. Taylor Swift's new album sold over a million it's first week, I think, and know why? Because she's hugely popular right now. Fleetwood Mac were hugely popular 30 years ago.

That doesn't mean that no one wants to hear new music for them, it just means that their peak of album sales have passed and it largely has nothing to do with the state of the music industry (unless you're talking about the genres that people are buying a lot of or something) and more to do with the fact that, well, it's 2012. Yes, people are buying less albums in general now than they were 30 years ago, but people still buy albums. Lots of people. Millions of people.

You know what's REALLY going to cause them not to sell any albums? Not RELEASING any albums.

Last edited by WildHearted; 12-07-2012 at 11:51 AM..