Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
My problem has nothing to do with either of these (tired) arguments. It's the absolute disregard Chris seems to be approaching people with. Deleting threads right and left, with moderators contradicting themselves on the reasoning, and then responding to questioning with rude responses IS my problem.
I have deleted two threads and locked one. One was a duplicate.
Suze and I agree that the thread was flame bait. We disagree on some other issues but agree to try to support each other's decisions as we grapple with trying to strike a balance between keeping everyone happy and implementing what we've been asked to implement. We are still new at this so we ask that if the ride gets a bit bumpy, hang on because we are listening to you and we're still trying to learn how to drive this thing.
I understand that you think I am approaching people with disregard but tone is difficult to ascertain from the written word. My style of writing is fairly direct and while I try to use the emoticons, sometimes I don't so I can understand why you might feel the way you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
That kind of attitude is ridiculous and blows my mind. And is unspeakably rude to all of the people who have made this their Internet home, some of whom spend their own dollars to help support it.
If you reread the conversation, you will see that the poster is "demanding" things of myself and the other mods, much like a spoiled child having a temper tantrum. Other people seem to be egging on his behavior. So like any good parent would, I set him straight and let him know sternly that as long as he would ask nicely, that is probably the best way to get a response. Would you reward bad behavior?

In closing, I would like to add that for the sake of maintaining peace, if you have any other complaints that name a specific moderator, as opposed to a general complaint which you are free to express on the board, that you (not meaning you specifically Hayley but all of you) take the time to private message them with your concerns. It is much easier to diffuse the situation this way than to publicly call them out on the boards which some people might find humiliating. It's also covered in the FAQ's.
Thanks for reading. Namaste'.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 09-02-2005 at 02:52 PM..
Old 09-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
I happen to be for the rights of the GLBT community. And just because I'm a conservative doesn't mean I can't have an intelligent conversation...have you ever thought about the fact that YOU might make those who are conservative on this board feel uncomfortable? Just like you assume that "we" make the GLBT community feel uncomfortable.
Just because you've pulled a switcheroo in the last, what is it four or five days, does not absolve you of the things you have said on this board many, many times over. You have personally made the GLBT community around here feel more than just uncomfortable, but extremely upset.

In general, I don't think that threads should be deleted. I don't think the thread that gldstwmn deleted should have been deleted. I thought it was a poor choice. I don't think the GLBT needs any more protection on the Ledge than any other particular group of people.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
Sadly, people are being driven off the Ledge too. We have lost many long term members over the years and it seems like people just become accustomed to the constant turnover of posters. A few core people remain, mostly cliques of people who band together and support each other. The fact that alot of articulate, knowledgable fans who happened to have differing opinions from the masses (or moderators) have been upset enough to leave altogether really saddens me. One of my all time favorite posters, someone who was deeply knowledgable and very articulate, was driven off because she felt no one listened to her opinions because they differed from the stronger board members. (one or two people always ganged up on her and rarely listed to her with an open mind) The sad part was she was really right on with so much of what she said. Unfortunately, she did not share the common views. Another of my closest friends feels totally disheartened by the tone around here lately and has pretty much decided to move on. We are all adults, we should be able to take care of ourselves and we should also be responsible for what we say to one another. Marty and Lis own the board and they can have any rules they want and the rules seem fair enough to me. If the sexual content is too much for some and you are asked to tone it down, so what?? You are not being asked to stop it completely, just tone it down because you do not own this board and the owners requested you to. It is a matter of respect. You are entitled to your free speech but we all have bounderies and rules in life and this board is no different. I could care less about the sexual talk, I am pretty non uptight and it usually makes me laugh but I understand that some people are uncomfortable with it. I accept that and respect the owners enough to just play by the very limited rules. I think sometimes it goes overboard and personally, I do not come to this board to read about people's sexual desires, feelings, conquests, etc but this board has a chit chat section and we are free to discuss whatever we want as along as it doesn't violate any rules. When it spills over into the Stevie forum, I either read it or not, depending on who the poster is and what they are talking about. Certain people seem kind of preoccupied by sex......
Anyhoo, I don't even know why I posted this stuff...I predict some people will say that "it was their decisions to leave the board, they decided to do that on their own, no one forced them off". That is all true but maybe some people will think about how they have treated others around here. Is it really necessary to be so haughty?? Is it really necessary to come after a specific poster with guns blazing because they say certain things about Stevie that you may not like, even if these things might be true? It is really necessary to use the rolling eyes emoticon so much? Are threads really being deleted for valid reasons or are personal opinions influencing that decision? (I am not accusing, I am asking..I really do not know) I can be snarky, too but hopefully I have never run valuable posters completely off the board.
Fire away.

Well said, Kelly.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Obviously no one was very interested in debating the actual issue at hand and was more interested in pointing fingers as in "you have this belief" and "you have that belief" and nit picking and a whole lot of other BS. If you want to debate the Sheehan issue then debate it. All of this finger pointing is giving me an ulcer and I'm tired of it. Let's talk about the issue, if you are so concerned about it. Please stop making this about personalities and get back to the topic.
Umm... what do you think we've been doing for the last couple of pages?

Old 09-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
If you reread the conversation, you will see that the poster is "demanding" things of myself and the other mods, much like a spoiled child having a temper tantrum. Other people seem to be egging on his behavior. So like any good parent would, I set him straight and let him know sternly that as long as he would ask nicely, that is probably the best way to get a response. Would you reward bad behavior?
Ok now I'm a child who is being punished...

Jesus Christ....
Old 09-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
Just because you've pulled a switcheroo in the last, what is it four or five days, does not absolve you of the things you have said on this board many, many times over. You have personally made the GLBT community around here feel more than just uncomfortable, but extremely upset.

In general, I don't think that threads should be deleted. I don't think the thread that gldstwmn deleted should have been deleted. I thought it was a poor choice. I don't think the GLBT needs any more protection on the Ledge than any other particular group of people.
Actually I have been for the rights of GLBT community now for about the majority of this year...not just 4 or 5 days ago. And about the past, I know that I did upset people...which is why I left for a while. Because my intention was never to upset anyone...as hard to believe as that may sound. And now gldstwmn keeps implying that I was trying to start "trouble" again by posting that thread...and I have no idea where she is coming from. And thank the heavens that I actually have people on my side this time who understand where I am coming from.

Like Nancy said...I'm not just going to sit back while these things happen...I am going to take a stand.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Umm... what do you think we've been doing for the last couple of pages?
Thank you Nancy...I was just about to say the same thing.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbelle1214
Glad ya stayed!
Thanks...
Old 09-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you Nancy...I was just about to say the same thing.
Right, I neglected to mention that 10% of the posts were on the topic.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think that is because it wasn't until recently that we had just gotten back unto topic.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Well, first we had to determine whether or not we were allowed to talk about it. That has a nasty habit of getting in the way of debate.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Actually I have been for the rights of GLBT community now for about the majority of this year...not just 4 or 5 days ago. And about the past, I know that I did upset people...which is why I left for a while. Because my intention was never to upset anyone...as hard to believe as that may sound. And now gldstwmn keeps implying that I was trying to start "trouble" again by posting that thread...and I have no idea where she is coming from. And thank the heavens that I actually have people on my side this time who understand where I am coming from.

Like Nancy said...I'm not just going to sit back while these things happen...I am going to take a stand.
It seemed like you were trying to stir things up. Its sort of like when someone says, "don't take this the wrong way but that outfit makes you look fat". Of course the person will get pissed. You knew that particular thread would cause trouble, in my opinion. If that truly isn't the case, then I'm sorry I misinterpreted your intentions.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Since we don't need three separate threads on this topic, I have merged all three threads into one for the sake of clarity and continuity.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It seemed like you were trying to stir things up. Its sort of like when someone says, "don't take this the wrong way but that outfit makes you look fat". Of course the person will get pissed. You knew that particular thread would cause trouble, in my opinion. If that truly isn't the case, then I'm sorry I misinterpreted your intentions.
I think you just don't get how shocking it was to see all those thread deletions, but honestly, I think the point's been driven home and there's no need to discuss it anymore. So I tried to start talking about Sheehan again... but that's not good enough, apparently?

I really don't mind if this whole moderator thing is dropped now because I truly believe lessons have been learned, and that was the only reason I was talking about it in the first place.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wanted to get other peoples opinion about her statements. for wanting to have a discussion.