User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
I don't think we'll see a "Buckingham McVie" tour. Instead, I think Stevie will rejoin for a Fleetwood Mac tour in late 2017/early 2018.
Oh I hope you are very very wrong. Bloviated boring arena tour with all 5 and greatest hits same as before, or a completely new lineup doing 6 brand new songs in intimate setting ? There's no competition there - like John said, I'd be willing to pay tons more for new over tired old.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The consensus on these pages seems to be that Christine and Lindsey are happy to be creating new music, and that making big money is not their only motive. There are also many references on these pages to Mick's supposed greed and/or bad financial management, with the inference being that he would be hesitant to tour with Buckingham/McVie (the four piece) since it would be less remunerative than touring as Fleetwood Mac (the five piece). But he happily tours with his blues band, and they don't play mega-venues, and I'm sure his paycheck from those gigs is much smaller than when Fleetwood Mac tours.

My point is that Mick, too, is motivated by love of playing the music, and not just by the money involved. Touring with his blues band stokes his love for the blues. Touring Buckingham/McVie will stoke his love for the NEW music created by his Fleetwood Mac bandmates. He's a working musician. Working musicians WORK -- they record, or they perform, or hopefully they do both. It's not as if an album and tour with Lindsey and Christine would go unnoticed. The album has already garnered a pretty darn sizable amount of attention.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's sweeter than wine.
Daddy, that's all I was tryin' to tell you.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
My point is that Mick, too, is motivated by love of playing the music, and not just by the money involved. Touring with his blues band stokes his love for the blues. Touring Buckingham/McVie will stoke his love for the NEW music created by his Fleetwood Mac bandmates. He's a working musician. Working musicians WORK -- they record, or they perform, or hopefully they do both. It's not as if an album and tour with Lindsey and Christine would go unnoticed. The album has already garnered a pretty darn sizable amount of attention.
The only thing I want to clarify here, and please don't hate me for saying this because I LOVE MICK but ...

Mick needs a backing drummer these days for heavier, more rocking songs. Also, don't look to Lindsey when you're frustrated with the slow tempo of songs such as "Bleed to Love Her" and "Seven Wonders" - that's Mick that needs the slow down and starts the songs (probably all from his pre-recorded click-track playing in his earpiece) on a much slower tempo. Even "Rhiannon" and other songs have been dragging on recent tours. I love these guys to bits and when I'm talking to casual fans or non-fans, I talk about them still playing like they were in their 20s ... but the truth is, they are not and apart from Lindsey who's a real bomb of energy, they all get tired as the night and the tour it self progresses.

My point being - if you're going to hire a drummer for a tour that is not under the FLEETWOOD Mac moniker, you are not going to hire Mick. You're going to hire a young and technically FLAWLESS drummer that follows orders.

Did you guys know that everything down to the drum solo on "World Turning" is "composed" by Lindsey before the tour starts? That's right, Walfredo wasn't doing his own improvised drum solo on "World Turning", no. He'd received a recording from Lindsey who'd recorded a "composed and written out" solo on electronic pads and said to Walfredo: Here, THIS is your solo. Play it ACCORDINGLY.

You can bet your bottom dollar he can't quite do that with Mick.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalBegin View Post

You can bet your bottom dollar he can't quite do that with Mick.
I think you are partially correct. Mick needs backup for one sole reason: lindsey uses backingtracks during liveshows. That's the reason why a gut-drummer like Mick needs help, not because he is not able to do it alone. Listen to his awesome drumming on his bluesband recordings. I love Lindsey, but he needs to let go of those backingtracks an let them 'float' again. They always did in the past. Rock and roll.

Last edited by shackin'up; 01-19-2017 at 05:57 PM..
Old 01-19-2017, 02:36 PM

^^ No wonder the drum solo wasn't that interesting.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I think you are patially correct. Mick needs backup for one sole reason: lindsey uses backingtracks during liveshows. That's the reason why a gut-drummer like Mick needs help, not because he is not able to do it alone. Listen to his awesome drumming on his bluesband recordings. I liove Limdsey, but he needs to let go of those backimgtracks an let them 'float' again. They always did in the past. Rock and roll.
Saw him solo 3? years ago, and it was like going to see karaoke. Not that he was bad(he was actually very good), but it was CHEESE:30, watching him play along with all those tracks.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Daddy, that's all I was tryin' to tell you.
Oh daddy! Be my sugar daddy!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never been to a Lindsey solo show, and I had no idea he uses backing tracks in his live shows. Why does Lindsey feel the need to use backing tracks live? I think that's really unfortunate. Concert goers don't want to hear absolute perfection as if they were listening to the record. We want to hear spontaneous, real music, warts and all.

I hope that a Buckingham/McVie tour would be low key enough that the backing tracks would be dispensed with. I'd much rather see them add one or two musicians/backing vocalists (Brett? Neale?) to round out the sound than use backing tracks.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I've never been to a Lindsey solo show, and I had no idea he uses backing tracks in his live shows. Why does Lindsey feel the need to use backing tracks live? I think that's really unfortunate. Concert goers don't want to hear absolute perfection as if they were listening to the record. We want to hear spontaneous, real music, warts and all.

I hope that a Buckingham/McVie tour would be low key enough that the backing tracks would be dispensed with. I'd much rather see them add one or two musicians/backing vocalists (Brett? Neale?) to round out the sound than use backing tracks.
Because you can't really do GYOW, or I'm So Afraid, or songs like that.

Holiday Road -the chorus was all canned(because of course he can no longer hit those notes).

He should just add a drummer and bass player, and do it 3 piece. With NO tracks!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:39 PM

Both Christine and Lindsey have gotten lazy on the keys and guitar. Christine does not need back up by Brett on ISA. just play your organ and be done with it. pisses me off..
Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Saw him solo 3? years ago, and it was like going to see karaoke. Not that he was bad(he was actually very good), but it was CHEESE:30, watching him play along with all those tracks.
I don't mean the obvious backingtracks on One Man Show. That was no problem for me. He was alone and needed some extra fill / guidance. I mean backingtracks on Fleetwood Mac songs during big arena tours. Vocal backing mainly and some instrumental parts. When those tracks are on, you don't have much space for mistakes/improvisation. Everything has to be perfect. Mick NEVER was such a drummer so he uses clicktrack or extra drummer for the right perfect beat. Since the Dance.

The only reason I can think of is that Lindsey wanted to let the livesound match more with the audial expectations of the big Public. They want everything to resemble those good old layered studiorecordings.

Somehow, Lindsey seems to believe in that addition of technology, because he does it during small machine too. Also in bandform. I don't like it.

Last edited by shackin'up; 01-19-2017 at 06:07 PM..
Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My lap top had to be put to sleep.....so I haven't been keeping up.
But, I am sad at this news, kind of, I mean I'm glad for the two musician/writers that they can at last put some new music out.
But I am sad that Stevie ( and I am not a great Stevie fan) is not on board and this is not a FMC album.
All they had to do was take 3 of her bloody "vault" songs and massage them into wonder. She is not capable of writing new stuff, it's crap about not writing for stuff to be downloaded for free.
I can imagine 3 of her old songs alongside some newer stuff.....Oh well!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never seen a Mick Fleetwood Blues Band show, either. For those more informed: does Mick use backing tracks and/or a second drummer in those blues shows?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post

I don't mean the obvious backingtracks on One Man Show. That was no problem for me. He was alone and needed some extra fill / guidance. I mean backingtracks on Fleetwood Mac songs during big arena tours. Vocal backing mainly and some instrumental parts. When those tracks are on, you don't have much space for mistakes/improvisation. Everything has to be perfect. Mick NEVER was such a drummer so he uses clicktrack or extra drummer for the right perfect beat. Since the Dance.

The only reason I can think of is that Lindsey wanted to let the livesound match more with the audial expectations of the big Public. They want everything to resemble those good old layered studiorecordings.

Somehow, Lindsey seems to believe in that addition of technology, because he does it during small machine too. Also in bandform. I don't like it.
yeah for One Man Show it made sense and he made it very obvious. i've seen the same with several other performers who also do completely solo shows. also, he did it on just 4 songs during One Man Show, not for all songs.

also agree that it's different with full band shows where backing tracks are more hidden, like it was with Mac. oh well.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"