User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
the pesky Kangaroo......I think its the "casualness" that you describe so succinctly that is so hard to deal with...but, that is the mindset of stockranchers.

I think for those that do not do it or have never done it - it is horrifying. I can say after you have seen it done a million times as these people have - you just realize it has to be done. I am glad it aint me.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I think for those that do not do it or have never done it - it is horrifying. I can say after you have seen it done a million times as these people have - you just realize it has to be done. I am glad it aint me.
But then, it's all a matter of perspective. For vegetarians who wouldn't be eating the beef from these cattle, it doesn't have to be done. And thus go issues such as this, people see some things as right or necessary, others don't. No side will ever change the collective mind of the other side.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
But then, it's all a matter of perspective. For vegetarians who wouldn't be eating the beef from these catte, it doesn't have to be done. And thus goes issues such as this, people see some things as right or necessary, others don't. No side will ever change the collective mind of the other side.
Exactly.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But then, it's all a matter of perspective. For vegetarians who wouldn't be eating the beef from these catte, it doesn't have to be done. And thus goes issues such as this, people see some things as right or necessary, others don't. No side will ever change the collective mind of the other side.

I agree - Interstingly, Mary thinks plants feel the pain as well. I have mentioned this before in other threads, but I have friend that refuses to kill anything whether it be a plant or animal. They just wait until the fruit falls from the plant and then eat it. AND - they are not rail thin So, yes, it is all about perspective

But, I still think people are hypocritical when they say they eat meat and then in the next breath question how someone could kill an animal - I mean someone killed that meat they are eating
Old 02-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Yeah the roos eat the *grass* (occasional stalks in red dirt) that are obviously vital for his livelihood.

And Jason, no one is really safe. He does like to aim rifles at his family members. Last time I saw him he grabbed a shotgun to kill a cat with cancer, only it was pitch black and he nearly shot my grandmother. He also gives rifles as presents to 6 year olds and tells them to go and shoot their sister.

For a grazier, that's what they are, pesky. I suppose that's what they do so it is casual, it's their job. Mind you in this case he'd casually drive around shooting Aboriginals so his concern for the creature does not even register.

As for gassing, I'm no expert but there would have to be more dangers with that method and so long as a bullet only costs.....whatever it costs, then there's no way that will happen.
Ah, the frontier spirit!!!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
. . . And Jason, no one is really safe. He does like to aim rifles at his family members. Last time I saw him he grabbed a shotgun to kill a cat with cancer, only it was pitch black and he nearly shot my grandmother. He also gives rifles as presents to 6 year olds and tells them to go and shoot their sister . . . .
We MUST have copious amounts of cocktails/alcohol/whatever one day - the stories that would flow as my family is bizarre as well
Old 02-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, I still think people are hypocritical when they say they eat meat and then in the next breath question how someone could kill an animal - I mean someone killed that meat they are eating
If that was some sort of backhanded slap in my general direction, it's just unfortunate for you that I don't eat meat anymore and know that not everyone will stop. It's called being realistic.

Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree - Interstingly, Mary thinks plants feel the pain as well. I have mentioned this before in other threads, but I have friend that refuses to kill anything whether it be a plant or animal. They just wait until the fruit falls from the plant and then eat it. AND - they are not rail thin So, yes, it is all about perspective

I agree about it being hypocritical. I don't eat meat, but I do eat eggs and dairy and am therefore indirectly contributing to the meat industry. Still, I can't abide by the killing of animals. I guess that makes me a hypocrit.

On the subject of plants - I agree that they probably feel pain just as an animal does, but we have to eat something and given the choice between killing plants or animals, I choose plants. Besides that, with most plants you can eat part of the plant without killing the whole thing - like fruit, flowers, and some leaves. You can't really do that with animals - although if you wanted to be really gruesome you probably could.... but anyhoo.
irishgrl
This message has been deleted by irishgrl. Reason: redundant
Old 02-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I agree about it being hypocritical. I don't eat meat, but I do eat eggs and dairy and am therefore indirectly contributing to the meat industry. Still, I can't abide by the killing of animals. I guess that makes me a hypocrit.

On the subject of plants - I agree that they probably feel pain just as an animal does, but we have to eat something and given the choice between killing plants or animals, I choose plants. Besides that, with most plants you can eat part of the plant without killing the whole thing - like fruit, flowers, and some leaves. You can't really do that with animals - although if you wanted to be really gruesome you probably could.... but anyhoo.
If you only ate eggs, butter, etc, they don't need to kill an animal to get that. And plants are a natural part of the food chain, everything eats plants, and to compensate, they put out mass quantities of pollen, seeds, etc. In theory, about plants, the whole thing would be balanced.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
If that was some sort of backhanded slap in my general direction, it's just unfortunate for you that I don't eat meat anymore.
Well, it was not directed at you per se - but you change your mind about eating meat seemingly often - do I have to pull up the Gen. Tso threads - so who do you think killed that meat you ate? I get that, inter alia, is why you do not eat it anymore, but it did not stop you then? Thus, hypocrisy. And - I say that not in a hateful way - just factually. We are all human and thus hypocrites as far as I am concerned
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, it was not directed at you per se - but you change your mind about eating meat seemingly often - do I have to pull up the Gen. Tso threads - so who do you think killed that meat you ate? I get that, inter alia, is why you do not eat it anymore, but it did not stop you then? Thus, hypocrisy. And - I say that not in a hateful way - just factually. We are all human and thus hypocrites as far as I am concerned
Pull out those threads, dear, I haven't eaten meat since November (the last time I had General Tso's), if memory serves correctly, and don't plan to in the near future.

How easy it must be for you to point to someone's past behaviors and call them hypocrites even after they change those behaviors. You made a point of calling me out as a past Democrat last night, just as you're now making a point of calling me out as a past meat eater. Unfortunately, I fail to see the relevance of both.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default To address your comment

Quote:

I remember in the 70's there were studies done on plants related to music, pain etcetera which showed plants were responsive (some would say sentient!) George Washington Carver trained roses to grow without any thorns! There's more to that but I think thats a topic for another thread..

as for your other comment, (I dont know if you were including me or not) I dont question how someone could kill an animal, I question WHICH animals are killed. And, as I said, we DO have domesticated meat animals whose purpose is strictly food, their end is preordained from the minute they were born. These animals are separate in MY mind from the animals that roam as free as God made them...
Old 02-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . although if you wanted to be really gruesome you probably could.... but anyhoo.
which brings to mind one of my fav. cartoons ever - it is a couple sitting at a table in a rest. and the sign on the wall the waiter is pointing to says "SPECIAL - FROG'S LEGS" - then the guy is smiling in approval of the special and lady is instead looking at the kitchen door when a frof with crutches and no legs is coming out of I think it was a Gary Larson one.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
I remember in the 70's there were studies done on plants related to music, pain etcetera which showed plants were responsive (some would say sentient!) George Washington Carver trained roses to grow without any thorns! There's more to that but I think thats a topic for another thread..

as for your other comment, (I dont know if you were including me or not) I dont question how someone could kill an animal, I question WHICH animals are killed. And, as I said, we DO have domesticated meat animals whose purpose is strictly food, their end is preordained from the minute they were born. These animals are separate in MY mind from the animals that roam as free as God made them...
ummmm...if we didn't domesticate those animals for meat, wouldn't they roam free as god made them, too? Only in less quantities, and only in the environments that are suited to them and can sustain them?

Old 02-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
If you only ate eggs, butter, etc, they don't need to kill an animal to get that. And plants are a natural part of the food chain, everything eats plants, and to compensate, they put out mass quantities of pollen, seeds, etc. In theory, about plants, the whole thing would be balanced.
No, the animal isn't killed to make the dairy products or to collect the eggs, but once the cows stop producing milk and the hens stop laying - to the slaughterhouse they go.
Also, to produce the milk, cows must be bred regularly. And since very few bulls are needed to keep all those cows pregnant, the male calves end up becoming veal. The female calves are raised to become dairy cows, where they'll be bred, have calves (the females will become dairy cows and eventually be slaughtered, the males will become veal), eventually be unable to make anymore milk, and be slaughtered like their mothers before them.
So being a lacto-ovo vegetarian still supports the meat industry, but not quite to the same degree as people who incorporate meat into their diets.
Maybe one day I'll be vegan, but first they need to make soy milk that tastes good!