Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rhino

Yes, it is Rhino, per Amazon description.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 PM

dontttttttttttttttttttt make me waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttt!!! Awww c'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I had an email from Amazon UK yesterday that said it was put back to 23rd- which is the date most people seem to have had for a while. Looks like you have an additional delay on the shipping time.
I assume you mean Sept 23. Maybe it's because I'm on the West Coast?

Kevin
Old 07-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Does anyone know for sure why the release date has been put back two months to the end of September?

I've just emailed Rhino Records to ask them this question, but I'm not sure if this release is by Rhino. Does anyone know if it is a Rhino release?
Who knows. I was thinking they may have wanted it released right at the very end of the third quarter and beginning of the fourth to boost their profits at the end of the year? Maybe because it's closer to the holidays and people spend more money?
Old 07-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can anyone tell me if the 2-cd UK remastered expanded edition is legit? I'm not interested in the vinyl or dvd, so $30 is more attractive to me than $85...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...+mirage+deluxe
Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Can anyone tell me if the 2-cd UK remastered expanded edition is legit? I'm not interested in the vinyl or dvd, so $30 is more attractive to me than $85...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...+mirage+deluxe
It's legit...but it looks pricey at $31 + $4 delivery.
It's being sold for £12.99. Am I missing something?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mirage-Expa...ustomerReviews
Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It's legit...but it looks pricey at $31 + $4 delivery.
It's being sold for £12.99. Am I missing something?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mirage-Expa...ustomerReviews
Thanks. I didn't see the other one.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

By Ken Paulsen | paulsen@siadvance.com

on August 18, 2016 at 6:00 AM, SILive.com

First listen: Fleetwood Mac revisits 'Mirage,' inside the studio and out

After "Rumours" became the biggest pop album of the 1970s, Fleetwood Mac followed it up with 1979's shockingly different "Tusk" -- a critical success, but a relative commercial flop.

Where to go from there? 1982's "Mirage," which leans closer to the "Rumours" sound while maintaining a distinct identity. The band will "Mirage" in September with a new deluxe package that showcases the remastered original album, a full disc worth of alternate takes and B-sides, and a third disc of live tracks.

A month before its release, we had the chance to check out the deluxe version of "Mirage;" it measures up on all fronts, and should thrill fans. Here are six reasons why it works:

The original album itself: "Mirage" gets overlooked next to smashes such as "Rumours" or "Tango in the Night," or the audacious "Tusk." But "Mirage" stands as a strong album on its own merits. The band's trademark soft-rock harmonies ("Can't Go Back," "Love in Store"), deft musicianship and range of songwriting styles (from the country-tinged "That's Alright" to the folk-punk fusion of "Eyes of the World") are out in full force. Lindsey Buckingham's guitar prowess is on display in the five tracks he wrote or co-wrote. Christine McVie's pop craftsmanship and keyboard talents shine on her four tracks. And Stevie Nicks' trademark raspy vocals command attention on her three tracks. While the surface angst of "Rumours" may not infuse all of "Mirage," the creative tensions from five years earlier certainly endured and played a role in the end product.

The hits: Nicks' "Gypsy," a sentimental ode to the broke-but-in-love early days of her doomed relationship with Buckingham, is the album's best-known track. (Its music video was among the early trend-setters for MTV extravagance, and that extended version is found on the second disc). "Gypsy" remains an adult-contemporary radio staple today, but somehow failed to crack the pop Top 10, peaking at No. 12 on the charts. The album's top pop hit, reaching No. 4, was McVie's "Hold Me," a duet featuring blissful harmonies with Buckingham. ("Love In Store" also cracked the Top 25.)

Influences past and future: Buckingham's "Oh Diane" steps outside the band's usual sound and reflects the impact left on him by rock and roll icons Buddy Holly and Elvis Presley. The electronic sound that fuels his "Empire State" will be refined and surface more prominently five years later, and with bigger success, on "Tango in the Night." The buoyant "Eyes of the World" hints at the "Vacation" soundtrack success that Buckingham would see the following year. And McVie's sedate "Only Over You," with silky vocals and an almost-sparse arrangement, could have been plucked from the "Tusk" sessions -- it evokes the same sound as her other contributions on that album.

Production values: Richard Dashut (who co-wrote three tracks with Buckingham) and Ken Caillat share producer credit with the band, as they had done since "Rumours." Caillat handled the new 5.1 surround sound remix of "Mirage" this spring, and the result is superb. One example: On "Hold Me," Buckingham and McVie's breathy vocals shine distinctly as they harmonize, underpinned by John McVie's vibrant bass work and Mick Fleetwood's strong, steady hands at the drums. Blended together, it's easy to see why the track was such a big hit.

B-sides and outtakes: Hardcore fans will most appreciate the second disc of songs, which takes you into the recording sessions to see the evolution of some songs. The early, piano-driven version of "Hold Me" features backing vocals by Nicks that don't work anywhere near as well as Buckingham's in the final take. The early version of "Gypsy" keeps its charm in a simpler, stripped-down take. We briefly hear Nicks give instrument-tuning advice at the beginning of "If You Were My Love," an outtake that would have made the album if it was released during the roomier CD era. The second disc also contains the original vinyl version of "Straight Back," a track that was modified for CD and cassette releases of the album.

Live Tracks: 13 tracks from the "Mirage" tour's 1982 stop in Los Angeles round out the set. On stage, the band doesn't stray much from the versions played on radio; the audience is fine with that. But those studio versions are so expertly polished that one can be forgiven for preferring the them to the live cuts. On the live CD, the strongest moments come from the deeper cuts, like the nine-minute "Not That Funny," where the band's men -- Buckingham, John McVie and Fleetwood -- take over the jam. An extended version of Nicks' "Sisters of the Moon" adds vocals by Buckingham, layering more intensity on an already powerful track.

The deluxe version of "Mirage," released by Rhino Records, features 45 tracks in all -- 12 on the main album, 20 outtakes and B-sides, and 13 live tracks. Originally set to be released in July, it's now set for release Sept. 23 in a variety of configurations, including vinyl and a deluxe box set. The best bet seems to be the digital download, available for pre-order online for under $20.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks so much for the update! Question- can someone explain why Straight Back had to be "modified" for CD and cassette? How was the vinyl version different?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thanks so much for the update! Question- can someone explain why Straight Back had to be "modified" for CD and cassette? How was the vinyl version different?
I'm not sure why it was done. But early vinyl pressings of Mirage had the original version of "Straight Back" without Stevie's overdubs in the bridge. Subsequent pressings used the remixed version. I like the second version better, but it will be nice to have a clean copy of the original.

Last edited by SpyNote; 08-19-2016 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 08-19-2016, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now waiting on a US festival 1982 documentary update...
Old 08-19-2016, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By the time this gets released, I should have enough Amazon rewards points to get this baby for free!
Old 08-30-2016, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Amazon doesn't seem to be budging on the price
at all. Music Direct is offering 20% off with promo
code.

I might do the unthinkable and cancel my order
before it ships. Pick it up sometime later.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I bought the cassette, the day it was released. The guitar solo that's on the end of the song(on the CD) isn't there on the cassette. Not that the song was any shorter....it was just the music without the guitar solo on top of it.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Amazon doesn't seem to be budging on the price
at all. Music Direct is offering 20% off with promo
code.

I might do the unthinkable and cancel my order
before it ships. Pick it up sometime later.
I mean... you've waited this long... And Rusty could get you a personal copy..