The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Family Man, esp. the Spanish guitar, the drums, and the way he repeats "I am what I am" a la David Bowie in Fame. I just think it was a poor choice for a single when they had "Isn't it Midnight" to chose instead. In my opinion, Isn't it Midnight had hit single written all over it and they played it in concert (granted LB was not there for the concert so Family Man could not really be played in the same way). But that would have given Christine three hits as opposed to one each for SN and LB. Oh politics!!!!

I my opinion, Family Man does not compare lyrically to other LB's other works like I'm So Afraid. But, hey not all songs have to be 100 perfect in every aspect to be good. Interestingly and as a total aside, I have always thought that in LB's earlier work (pre Rumors) like I'm So Afraid, SN had great influence because they were working so closely together and, in my opinion, the lyrics of I'm So Afraid smack of Stevie, e.g., black as night, rain, sun, gone, etc. I mean LB clearly had great influence on her in his "area" of musical production - so it sort of figures she would have influenced him in her "area" of lyrics. And, he is said not to like or care about lyrics. Who knows!!!

NOTE: I am in no way saying LB cannot write good in not great lyrics now and then; in fact, I think just the opposite. See Peacekeeper, Go Insane, Tusk.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's "good IF not great lyrics . . . ." Oh to be able to type

Old 02-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just think it was a poor choice for a single when they had "Isn't it Midnight" to chose instead. In my opinion, Isn't it Midnight had hit single written all over it and they played it in concert (granted LB was not there for the concert so Family Man could not really be played in the same way).
I always just thought it was odd that Family Man and not Isn't It Midnight would be a single, because wasn't it released as a single after he left? Or do I have the timing off? I just remember that he was gone by the time they needed a video so they slapped together that god-awful video featuring pointless black and white newsreel footage and segments of the band that were clearly from the Seven Wonders video shoot. They just cut away from Lindsey all the time right before the he'd start to sing at a mic because obviously he wouldn't be singing the right words! Hehe.

Quote:
And, he is said not to like or care about lyrics.
Well, Stevie says that; Lindsey doesn't. I think he's not so confident in his lyric-writing as she is and he's been quick to dismiss his efforts in that area in the past. But I think he does care about them and does try always to improve. What is it he said in that new interview? He tries to come up with a lyric that has "truth, grace and mystery." That said, because she was more confident with her lyrics than he when they were younger and together, I wouldn't be surprised if he did draw some inspiration from some of her writing. His style evolved over a longer period, I think, and still is evolving to some degree.

Last edited by Les; 02-19-2003 at 11:39 AM..
Old 02-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello Les:

I agree LB has certainly hit his stride in writing lyrics. I think he really was able to do this on his three solo records and the GOS demos. I love Trouble and, esp., Go Insane. I also love his 90's stuff from OOTC and the demos from GOS, esp. Peacekeeper and Bleed to Love Her. In my opinion, he also has progressed musically in that he doesn't repeat quite as much as he used to. His musical growth is really the reason why I am anxiously waiting for SYW. I think TISL demonstrates Stevie has also grown, but we have witnessed so much of the "final product" of her music and its changes (esp in the collaborations) in recent years. The same cannot be said for LB.

Oh - They should pay me for my musical opinions!!!!

Old 02-19-2003, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am right there with you on Summer Night City.
I have ALWAYS thought they were singing "f**king in the moonlight"

So glad I am not the only one who hears that.

-D

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Sharon, you're crazy. He's not saying that. For all the Abba fans out there, though, here's a question: Did you ever hear this: "F**king in the moonlight, love making in the dawn, summer night city." Is it just me, or do they really sing that? I haven't heard the song in years, but Sharon's remark just reminded me of that
Old 02-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation YES!!

I agree, Isn't It Midnight would have kicked BUTT on the radio!! One of my fave FM songs EVER, it ROCKS!! They should pay fans to choose singles, FOR REAL!!
Old 02-20-2003, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: YES!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
I agree, Isn't It Midnight would have kicked BUTT on the radio!!
*agrees* Hopefully, if it had been released, it would have done better than Family Man.
Sofie
Old 02-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Foolish Choices

Somebody apparently likes "Family Man" a lot. It was picked as a single rather than, say, Tango in the Night or Caroline. It was remixed about 100 different times, none of which made it less lame. In fact the lameness increased with the length of the remixes, as they stuck on another minute of repetitons of "I am what I am." And then they put this song on "The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac" - the only Lindsey song from Tango on there!!! (I don't cound Dance Big Love).

For a song that only about, oh, 4% of fans like (and .000001% of nomal listeners like), it sure gets a lot of air time. That's got ME mystified!

Last edited by sodascouts; 02-20-2003 at 01:23 PM..
Old 02-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Foolish Choices

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
It was remixed about 100 different times, none of which made it less lame. In fact the lameness increased [...]
Hehe... Exactly what I feel.

OK guys... now, I said before (in fact I commited a mistake) that to me the lyrics of this song were "meaningless". What I meant to say is that, to me, they are lame and plain stupid. However, I don't think that Lindsey just writes the words down there and doesn't want to deliver a message with them. Very seriously, then... could I ask (any of you) what is this song about? Or are the lyrics that obvious, there is no "hidden meaning" or a deeper sense? I'd be very glad to read an "interpretation" of this song. And I'm being very serious, again. Perhaps this could help me appreciate a little this song, which I'm always skipping.

Song of the moment - Everywhere
Old 02-20-2003, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Foolish Choices

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
a song that only about, oh, 4% of fans like
Steady on there!!! Time for a Rumours board poll methinks!
Quote:
(and .000001% of nomal listeners like) [/B]
lol - Probably not too far off!!
Old 02-21-2003, 11:07 AM

Interestingly, where I was living, "Isn't Midnight" got played a lot on what used to be called AOR stations. "Family Man," "Big Love," "Seven Wonders," "Little Lies" and "Everywhere" were also played on the radio as I recall. That's six songs. Not bad. As I recall, "Little Lies," "Family Man" and "Everywhere" were played the most. "Big Love" had a big initial spurt, but then it disappeared.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Family Man is a great song. It's really easy listening for me, and I love that melody. The guitar work speaks for itself. The song reminds of the "Tango In The Night" album more than any other song from that album (if ya see what I mean!). It's totally 80s, and totally cool!

Old 02-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

... but "Isn't It Midnight" was released as a single - maybe not on a worldwide scale but definitely in the UK and Europe. I don't recall it charting significantly but it was promoted in terms of various formats (7"; 12"; cassingle; cd single) and the live promo clip. It really ought to have been included on the recent retrospective.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:09 AM
Ledgie

Default Family Man is great

I actually have a 12 inch single of Family Man on vinyl that I ordered after the Tango Tour. I just love that song. It's sooooo suave and groovy and cool and just makes me want to "get down with my suave self". Makes me want to do a suave little dance in my living room everytime I hear it (and I almost always do).

david
Old 02-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation LOL!!

Quote:
Originally posted by LindseyRocks
It's sooooo suave and groovy and cool and just makes me want to "get down with my suave self. david
Well, then, get down wit yo bad sef!! LOL I am about to start a thread on a song that I used to HATE, HATE, HATE as a kid and now, I LOVE IT!! Go check out the thread!! I am gettin' down wit my bad sef right now listening to the Slow Dancing remix!!